Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

InventorOfTrees posted:

I miss the good ol' days when my posts were the worst ones in the thread. Yall really driven this poo poo into the ground.

Comparison is the thief of joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Man hopefully I can get the research safehouse open quickly. Really want to try those syndicate operatives out since people say they are top tier.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

InventorOfTrees posted:

I miss the good ol' days when my posts were the worst ones in the thread. Yall really driven this poo poo into the ground.

You must think very highly of yourself if you think you earned the title of worst poster for more then half a day at best.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

InventorOfTrees posted:

We're just following Chris' lead

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

Sab669 posted:

What does that even mean though. Better written? More "engaging" in some gameplay sense such that leveling supposedly won't be a chore?

It means making it fun. 'leveling' is literally the game. As someone else said already, "the entire game is maps".

Really weird to see people say they don't like leveling, they don't like trading, they don't like the endgame grind... like lol just play something you do like and stop trying to demand ggg "remove leveling" or whatever other weird rear end take you have.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You must think very highly of yourself if you think you earned the title of worst poster for more then half a day at best.

don't take this from me

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It doesn’t matter how engaging the gameplay in the campaign is if the drops are functionally irrelevant.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
Anyone know why my Pride aura just stopped working? It reserves mana when I toggle it, but stays greyed out and when I mouse over it it says [Not enough mana], even if it's the only mana reservation I have active.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
if they had a potion or some crap to skip the campaign in the cash shop I'd buy it multiple times per league trying out dumb builds

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

whydirt posted:

It doesn’t matter how engaging the gameplay in the campaign is if the drops are functionally irrelevant.

The loot drops are low level poo poo but you can get any currency from leveling. I've gotten several exalts from a single character leveling to maps on multiple occasions.

Also leveling drops will be far more interesting in PoE2 when you can actually pick them up and use them on the fly instead of having to worry about sockets or links. Right now, you can just buy a tabula and a goldrim and literally ignore every gear drop for the entire campaign. No poo poo that's boring.

Simon Numbers posted:

if they had a potion or some crap to skip the campaign in the cash shop I'd buy it multiple times per league trying out dumb builds

standard?

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Standard I don't feel I'm progressing my league character and it's where all my friends are so no bueno

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My biggest problem with the campaign is that once you've gone through it one time, there's no real mystery or variety there any more (barring the occasional shakeups GGG does, and you can only pull a trick like moving Brutus once).

I mean, having most of the interesting build options only come into play during maps (which are effectively a second campaign any more) is also an issue but it's one endemic to most action RPGs of this style and there's probably no getting away from that.

But if playing and replaying the campaign is going to be required, then the campaign needs to be something that offers a new experience (or at least something new) every time you play. The idea I've had is to have Zana turn up in Lioneye's Watch after your first time beating the campaign offering a mini-Atlas to let you change up your path through the campaign, or something.

When the best way to engage with the campaign is to bypass it as much as possible, that is a problem with the campaign. Make the campaign interesting to play and people will play it.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Jinnigan posted:

chris has said that POE2's campaign will be a lot "better" since they are making it as actual video game industry professionals and not a bunch of kids making a game for the first time in their life. no word on anything more specific than that so who knows what that all might mean

FWIW the bits I've seen of the POE2 campaign look sick as hell and the engine has probably gotten huge overhauls to allow for the more dynamic map events and such.

I'm sure it's absolutely going to be better than the main campaign. But 5+ years later it's probably going to feel like a slog just like the current one does. Because that's a long rear end time to play the same game over and over.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Koryk posted:

Anyone know why my Pride aura just stopped working? It reserves mana when I toggle it, but stays greyed out and when I mouse over it it says [Not enough mana], even if it's the only mana reservation I have active.

Do you have Mortal Conviction allocated?

https://pathofexile.fandom.com/wiki/Mortal_Conviction

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

whydirt posted:

Pretty much, absolute best case scenario in the campaign is you have a exalted orb drop or find a tabula or a rare jewel that managed to hit amazing mods or some jewelry with T1 life and some mid tier resist and attribute rolls.

But the instant you start hitting maps you get so much added quantity + mob density per area + random old league mechanics showing up with valuable rewards or a juiced map that can drop so many items that it will literally crash your instance with drops that it makes anything you acquire on the way to the maps seem like filling a pool with water with a eye dropper vs a fire hose.

InventorOfTrees posted:

Also leveling drops will be far more interesting in PoE2 when you can actually pick them up and use them on the fly instead of having to worry about sockets or links. Right now, you can just buy a tabula and a goldrim and literally ignore every gear drop for the entire campaign. No poo poo that's boring.

I feel like people would of been much more forgiving of the act 1 changes and overall nerfs if it meant players had more access to tools like that and some tedium removed.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 29, 2021

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

InventorOfTrees posted:

I am looking forward to that part for sure.

Something that always makes me lol with these story/campaign talks is how relatively small a portion of my playtime it represents any given league. I recognize not everyone experiences the game the same way I do, but I figure most people sinking 100+ hours in per league spend the vast, vast majority of that time doing everything but playing the story. I'm guessing the new PoE2 campaign isn't gonna be a huge departure from this, so maybe landing around the 10 hr mark? Unless GGG drastically changes how the endgame works for the worst, the PoE2 campaign is just gonna be another speedbump to folks like me who just play for the sandbox/build progression.

I don't really know where I'm going with this. I guess it means the things I'm looking forward to with PoE2 are purely systematic changes (gems, Lab) which is stuff that feels more like "league changes" than "Path of Exile: 2"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
It'd be interesting for them to build in some campaign route that use this Expedition mechanic actually. Choose a node with larger pack sizes and all the next zones have that. Choose a node with enemies gain 25% non chaos as chaos and now all the next nodes have that plus pack sizes. Characters are already customizable - there's no reason the leveling process can't be customizable as well.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

boredsatellite posted:

Man hopefully I can get the research safehouse open quickly. Really want to try those syndicate operatives out since people say they are top tier.

You don't need to open a safehouse, you just need a Jun mission. Syndicate Ops will appear during intervention encounters (when dudes show up out of nowhere to assassinate you). Don't kill the syndicate member, just run around and look for the little black clouds that appear with mobs in them. Not every cloud will have a Syndicate Operative, there's different types of mobs that show up. You're looking for the ones that shoot projectiles. Their corpses vanish like 2 seconds after you kill them, so have Raise Spectre ready to go and spam it. As soon as you've raised one in a zone, you can use Desecrate to generate non-disappearing corpses.

Alternatively, join global chat 6666 to find someone else with SOs and hop in their hideout.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

InventorOfTrees posted:

The loot drops are low level poo poo but you can get any currency from leveling. I've gotten several exalts from a single character leveling to maps on multiple occasions.

standard?

I think I've found like 4 or 5 exalts in the total amount of time I've been playing this game. Positively never while leveling. This league I found 6 Chaos and a Tabula while leveling which is about as good as it ever gets for me.

And yea, PoE2's new Socket system will do huge favors towards the leveling process. I loving hate the current predicament of "This would be an upgrade if the sockets weren't bad/wrong".

External Organs posted:

It'd be interesting for them to build in some campaign route that use this Expedition mechanic actually. Choose a node with larger pack sizes and all the next zones have that. Choose a node with enemies gain 25% non chaos as chaos and now all the next nodes have that plus pack sizes. Characters are already customizable - there's no reason the leveling process can't be customizable as well.

Something like this would be cool. Someone else said "the whole game is maps" but it absolutely isn't. Leveling is spaced out small packs of nonthreatening mooks that virtually never drop anything of long term value. If you could easily/quickly modify an entire Act that would be cool. Modifying each and every zone sounds too tedious.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 29, 2021

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

Simon Numbers posted:

Standard I don't feel I'm progressing my league character and it's where all my friends are so no bueno

I meant just for trying random builds on standard to decide if I want to play them on the active league, which is something I do quite often. But yeah, if you want more than just an experiment, thats doesn't help.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Tiny Bug Child posted:

You don't need to open a safehouse, you just need a Jun mission. Syndicate Ops will appear during intervention encounters (when dudes show up out of nowhere to assassinate you). Don't kill the syndicate member, just run around and look for the little black clouds that appear with mobs in them. Not every cloud will have a Syndicate Operative, there's different types of mobs that show up. You're looking for the ones that shoot projectiles. Their corpses vanish like 2 seconds after you kill them, so have Raise Spectre ready to go and spam it. As soon as you've raised one in a zone, you can use Desecrate to generate non-disappearing corpses.

Alternatively, join global chat 6666 to find someone else with SOs and hop in their hideout.

Oh neato. Though the 2 second thing is pretty awful. Is global 6666 the spectre channel or something? How much do they go for?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

External Organs posted:

Something like that to randomize difficulty for more rewards would be neat, I also think it would help the campaign if areas scaled in level with your characters slightly so that engaging with the league mechanic or not ignoring everything that isn't mandatory didn't overlevel you by 3+ levels, example being something like instead of the riverways being a static level 15 it would be level 15-18 depending on the level you entered it with.

However, GGG is very hesitant to make the campaign rewarding I think due to the game being free and not wanting the game to be swarmed with bots that farm the campaign, the 10ish hours to finish the campaign is probably something they want just to give themselves time to weed out the bot players.

Was only a few leagues ago where you could stand in town and watch the parade of identical bots path their way through to the waypoint and quest givers.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Seeing bots in Sarn was pretty funny

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

boredsatellite posted:

Oh neato. Though the 2 second thing is pretty awful. Is global 6666 the spectre channel or something? How much do they go for?

Yeah, 6666 is summonerchat. Most people just give them away for free or "tips" since you just have to let someone in your hideout. You can probably get an invite if you ask for SOs.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007

Nope, and the only reservation skills I'm running other than Pride are Blood & Sand and Dread Banner

Edit: I think I'm just dumb and thought it wasn't working because I don't see it as a buff (since it's a mob debuff aura). The tooltip and greyed out icon are just because I don't have the mana to reserve it again when it's already active. Derp.

Koryk fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 29, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sab669 posted:

What does that even mean though. Better written? More "engaging" in some gameplay sense such that leveling supposedly won't be a chore?

Like Traitorous Leopard said, I have no idea how many hundreds of hours I've put into this game since it was in beta and I couldn't even vaguely tell you the plot beats. I'm not playing this game for its story, I'm playing because I want to obliterate big packs of monsters.

...doesn't the actual gameplay basically tell you the outline of the story???

act 1: you're exiled and find a bunch of other exiles at lioneye's. you decide they're smelly and run off into the interior of the continent. merveil is there for some reason
act 2: chasing piety around the jungle for revenge. you incidentally make everything go dark due to a vaal curse but solve it, and find sarn in the process, where the templars have based themselves on wraeclast
act 3: piety's doing nasty poo poo in lunaris temple, go stop her! when you do, you get a key to access the local templar HQ, where dominus, who is the guy who exiled you in the first place, is hanging out. you kill him.
act 4: turns out piety was being controlled by some ancient weirdo, malachai, who discovered sin's prison for the gods, the beast, a long time ago. he's been planning to blow the world up or something with its power. you kill him.
act 5: you port home to oriath where you go ape-poo poo on the templars because you're a bad person and haven't had enough revenge. while you're soaking in templar blood the gods break out of the beast and gently caress poo poo up everywhere

and then acts 6-10 are just revisiting all of the zones so you can kill the gods and steal their souls, with each act having a b-plot where one or more dopey NPCs signed on with the gods.

like yeah there's reams of historical detail and stuff about who all of the people that have uniques named after them are, and they are relevant to the plot in a sense, but like...not really. there's not much more to the actual plot than what you would pick up exclusively reading quest text in the sidebar

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 29, 2021

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Yeah, 6666 is summonerchat. Most people just give them away for free or "tips" since you just have to let someone in your hideout. You can probably get an invite if you ask for SOs.

Ah thanks for the info. I've give that a shot later

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Jazerus posted:

...doesn't the actual gameplay basically tell you the outline of the story???

act 1: you're exiled and find a bunch of other exiles at lioneye's. you decide they're smelly and run off into the interior of the continent. merveil is there for some reason
act 2: chasing piety around the jungle for revenge. you incidentally make everything go dark due to a vaal curse but solve it, and find sarn in the process, where the templars have based themselves on wraeclast
act 3: piety's doing nasty poo poo in lunaris temple, go stop her! when you do, you get a key to access the local templar HQ, where dominus, who is the guy who exiled you in the first place, is hanging out. you kill him.
act 4: turns out piety was being controlled by some ancient weirdo, malachai, who discovered sin's prison for the gods, the beast, a long time ago. he's been planning to blow the world up or something with its power. you kill him.
act 5: lilly takes you home to oriath where you go ape-poo poo on the templars because you're a bad person and haven't had enough revenge. while you're soaking in templar blood the gods break out of the beast and gently caress poo poo up everywhere

and then acts 6-10 are just revisiting all of the zones so you can kill the gods and steal their souls, with each act having a b-plot where one or more dopey NPCs signed on with the gods.

like yeah there's reams of historical detail and stuff about who all of the people that have uniques named after them are, and they are relevant to the plot in a sense, but like...not really. there's not much more to the actual plot than what you would pick up exclusively reading quest text in the sidebar

I appreciate your post, it’s a good summary of lore that takes 30 seconds to skim and conveys more in-game than I’ve ever cared to read or pay attention to. To contribute, I’ll share the major plot points I’ve learned in 2 or 3k hours played:

We washed up on a boat and need to move inland for ~reasons~. Piety is an rear end in a top hat for some reason, we have to kill her on three different difficulties. Dominus is the big bad who runs the empire and is also an rear end in a top hat who is hanging out in Wraeclast instead of his town. We ally with a god named Sin, which seems like a terrible idea. He has a brother we have to kill. Kitava is a thirsty boi

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

This thing seems really good

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

InventorOfTrees posted:

This thing seems really good

Dang, nice for like a lacerate deadeye.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Pretty cheap too on trade. But bleed bow with that should be fun

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Could also be BiS for like a Discharge cast on crit build maybe. Or a non raider flicker strike.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
"It's all acts" is...just horribly reductionist. The game is very different at the start of the campaign, mid-campaign, late-campaign, and mapping (and even late mapping...and so on).

The campaign is 99% a linear path. You don't have choice on where you're going next, not really. The game opens up at maps, sure there's still some limitations as you're filling out your atlas, but it's obviously way more open.

There's a lot of bosses to kill and endgame things you can engage in, now that maps fuel you properly for them (delving, heisting you sadist, etc). More so even with atlas passives so you can focus Alva, or metamorph, or whatever floats your boat.

On a moment-to-moment level even, it's wildly different. Act 1 where you have no gear and no tools and no skills is much different than when your character is fleshed out. To me that's why the campaign is boring after a few times - I'm ready to try some new skills and a build, that's where the fun is, but it's a long path to even be able to start putting that together to see how it works. Scrounging for 3 links of the right color just to make the slog a little less sloggy has lost its luster for me. I can't even engage with crafting much for the first 50 levels because I'm not getting poo poo for jewelers/chromes/etc. I know some people love taking a character from nothing to something, and that's cool, but it's not for everyone after a while.

Plus lab 4 times again, gross.

And sure, you can reduce it down again to "well it's all just killing monsters", so at that point why not just have it in a gray box. At least there'd be less FPS issues.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

starting out weak with no gear and the build coming together as you gain levels and get gear is what an ARPG is

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

hawowanlawow posted:

starting out weak with no gear and the build coming together as you gain levels and get gear is what an ARPG is

An ARPG is a lot of things, and working out the build and getting stronger is part of it, sure. How long that takes and is the process enjoyable is what has changed for a lot of players.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you could play a single player ARPG and just cheat, or RMT

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I will defend most of PoE's systems - they are generally pretty drat smart. I will not defend the leveling process though. With how involved the mapping system is, it really does just feel like you are just slogging through the campaign to get to 'the good part'.

I'm unsure how to fix it though. If we agree that game integrity is important, then it gets awkward without developing a whole other leveling 'path' of sorts, and then would that path even be better? This is a problem my friends have talked a lot about, but we just don't have reasonable solutions. I'd love to see one though.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Deki posted:

FWIW the bits I've seen of the POE2 campaign look sick as hell and the engine has probably gotten huge overhauls to allow for the more dynamic map events and such.

I'm sure it's absolutely going to be better than the main campaign. But 5+ years later it's probably going to feel like a slog just like the current one does. Because that's a long rear end time to play the same game over and over.

It's the same problem WoW has had for over a decade, GGG will probably never be able to make the game as fun as it was before you played it for 2000 hours

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We used to go through the story 3 times for each character lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
That helmet makes me want to level a bleedbow gladiator, which i wont, cause gently caress leveling a second toon.