Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

You know Alexander is a failson but Worf is a garbage parent. It's funny that Worf is a better babysitter for Yoshi. Really, Worf does his entire family dirty over each series. Poor Kurn always bearing the brunt of every decision Worf made and then getting mind wiped a year before his family name got reinstated.

He’s only a good babysitter because the kid fell asleep and he didn’t actually have to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

:eng101: worf's family name didn't get re-re-reinstated, he joined the house of martok

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Clark Nova posted:

:eng101: worf's family name didn't get re-re-reinstated, he joined the house of martok

So he joined into what would become the most influential house in the Empire while his brother probably died during the cardassian counterattack at the end of season 5.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Arcsquad12 posted:

So he joined into what would become the most influential house in the Empire while his brother probably died during the cardassian counterattack at the end of season 5.

dont make it sound like Worf made good decisions! :negative:

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

worf also headbutted a kid to death during a soccer match when he was young, its just their wacky and zany culture

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Tiberius Christ posted:

worf also headbutted a kid to death during a soccer match when he was young, its just their wacky and zany culture

It's not Worf's fault he has a three-inch thick armor-plated forehead and two spinal cords and the kid he was playing against didn't.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

alexandriao posted:

dont make it sound like Worf made good decisions! :negative:

Excuse me, it's Mr. Woof.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Worf is fun but he is more often than not a hilariously terrible starfleet officer. Like Reg is like, lol can u even imagine but Reg believes in Starfleet and loves it. That’s why he’s in it at all with all his personality problems. Worf is like, peace out I gotta go gently caress with the empire all the time. He’s racist, hyper aggressive and almost never diplomatic even to foreign dignitaries. He would rather fight than science or talk, any day.

It’s clear that his career is a diplomatic trophy to Starfleet, not a practical concern, and typical of the lack of attention to detail continually executed by the incompetent admiralty.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

chaosbreather posted:

Worf is fun but he is more often than not a hilariously terrible starfleet officer. Like Reg is like, lol can u even imagine but Reg believes in Starfleet and loves it. That’s why he’s in it at all with all his personality problems. Worf is like, peace out I gotta go gently caress with the empire all the time. He’s racist, hyper aggressive and almost never diplomatic even to foreign dignitaries. He would rather fight than science or talk, any day.

It’s clear that his career is a diplomatic trophy to Starfleet, not a practical concern, and typical of the lack of attention to detail continually executed by the incompetent admiralty.

The worst thing about Worf imo is how he's introduced as a tough guy, fitting of his race, but they forgot to include a few scenes of him kicking rear end early on so all you see is him getting his fuckin rear end clowned to make the point of how strong the enemy is.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
plus there's a other, way stronger and tougher guy right there all the time. data or odo could easily crush him

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

The worst thing about Worf imo is how he's introduced as a tough guy, fitting of his race, but they forgot to include a few scenes of him kicking rear end early on so all you see is him getting his fuckin rear end clowned to make the point of how strong the enemy is.

this is why DS9 is superior, his introduction in Way of the Warrior has him beating the crap out of other klingons almost immediately

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tiberius Christ posted:

this is why DS9 is superior, his introduction in Way of the Warrior has him beating the crap out of other klingons almost immediately

Yeah but a tribble could beat up a klingon so that's not actually all that impressive. Seriously Klingons get beaten up by randoms all the time.

In wolfs favour though, most of his advice about things like putting up shields when there are obviously aggressive aliens being obviously aggressive at you, was normally pretty solid.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
If nothing else the mind meld with Sarek impressed upon Picard an irrepressible need to never ever mention Michael Burnham

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cage Kicker posted:

If nothing else the mind meld with Sarek impressed upon Picard an irrepressible need to never ever mention Michael Burnham

I give it two years before they dub the steaming service versions to mention Michael during the breakdown in Sarek.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jsoh posted:

plus there's a other, way stronger and tougher guy right there all the time. data or odo could easily crush him

The episode where Odo mocks the hell out of Worf's service record on the enterprise is funny.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arcsquad12 posted:

The episode where Odo mocks the hell out of Worf's service record on the enterprise is funny.
Ah yes, the episode where Worf gets all upset believing that Odo is letting crime run rampant on the station and then Worf fucks up one of his sting operations

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I always wondered if, like mirror Odo, the slightest bit of phaser fire could turn regular Odo into a cloud of rapidly expanding Low Country Boil.

External Organs fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 29, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

External Organs posted:

I always wondered if, like mirror Odo, the slightest bit of phaser fire could turn regular Odo into a cloud of rapidly expanding Low Country Boil.

I'd just take it as the Alliance being the kind of people who don't go in for stun settings on their weaponry and like to make sure whatever gets hit is very dead.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
In the 2360s there is for sure a popular YouTube channel explaining all sorts of weird poo poo you can do with a phaser at the lowest setting.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Automatic Slim posted:

Are saying McCoy is a closet furry? That would check a lot of boxes.

im losing my poo poo imaging mccoy talking in uwu speak

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know, now I'm wondering if Worf being a good babysitter for Yoshi wasn't for his benefit and was instead the universe conspiring to torture O'Brien.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

why would anyone have to be a closeted furry in star trek? there's probably a planet of fox people you could go gently caress

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Just watched the 50s sci fi writer ep. I can't really tell if it was the fact I've been up most of the night ill and I'm exhausted, or the quality of the performance bit at the end with 50s sisko but I was tearing up.

Avery brooks really nails this softly spoken but intense and mad as hell bit in a speech.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

nah youre supposed to tear up because racism is hosed and also its very distressing seeing worf happy

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I wish there was more post DS9 Avery Brooks stuff. I'm kind of surprised he never got cast in comic book movies, seems like it would've happened.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

why would anyone have to be a closeted furry in star trek? there's probably a planet of fox people you could go gently caress

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Doggles posted:

Watch it as the prophets intended, simultaneously:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiaacvYES8s

...It's a little astonishing how many specific episodes I was able to identify just from the images that popped up in those tiny little boxes.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tell her to watch The Cage then.

It's actuly relevant in season 2 of Disco.

Better yet, The Menagerie 2-parter. Gives you all the necessary story from The Cage and also includes Pike being in the beepy-chair, which is just as relevant to Disco as the Talos IV stuff is.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

External Organs posted:

I wish there was more post DS9 Avery Brooks stuff. I'm kind of surprised he never got cast in comic book movies, seems like it would've happened.

As I understand it he quit acting, outside of maybe some teaching - jazz was always his first love

As is right and proper

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

mudskipp posted:

Just watched the 50s sci fi writer ep. I can't really tell if it was the fact I've been up most of the night ill and I'm exhausted, or the quality of the performance bit at the end with 50s sisko but I was tearing up.

Avery brooks really nails this softly spoken but intense and mad as hell bit in a speech.

Yeah that episode is loving incredible.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

External Organs posted:

Most of his post star trek career was doing music and theatre work and some documentary voice overs, the guy might have just never been all that interested in geek culture after ds9. Its too bad guys got a great voice and you can do that job in your pajamas

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just want Avery Brooks and Jonathan Frakes to have a jam session on pay per view.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

External Organs posted:

Honestly other than Nog, Jake, and Rom I think they they tied all the DS9 characters up pretty well by the end of the series. As we won't be seeing Nog again (:(), myself pretty happy for them to just let be. Of course if Sisko, Kira, Miles or Garak just randomly turned up for a few scene somewhere that would be all cool and good, as they are just great characters and fun to watch, but they all did get good ends to their characters as is.

(having O'Brien cameo as a hollo teacher for engineering cadets on prodigy would actually be pretty neat, as him complaining to all the young cadets about some of the stupider things in star trek engineering would be great.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I can't fault a guy for loving jazz and theater.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

alexandriao posted:

But they did

I will be completely honest that I got really bored with that episode, and by the climax I had started playing Slay the Spire off to the side. It was consequently wrong of me to suggest specific scene fixes and I offer myself for appropriate thread bij.

External Organs posted:

In the 2360s there is for sure a popular YouTube channel explaining all sorts of weird poo poo you can do with a phaser at the lowest setting.

O'Brien has a channel where every video is 30 seconds long with clear steps that lead to a predictable and correct outcome, but he only has like ten subscribers. The real quatloos go to the channels where the hacks are all frauds, but they have high production values, AI-assisted SEO, and undisclosed ties to the FCA.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

External Organs posted:

based on the other episode where we see a changeling get shot it takes about a thousand klingon disruptor blasts to make it explode

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Mulaney Power Move posted:

based on the other episode where we see a changeling get shot it takes about a thousand klingon disruptor blasts to make it explode

Like the other poster said, mirror universe guns gently caress.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Should have called it the gently caress universe

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Clark Nova posted:

Ah, Vulpinus 36, home of the Yiffi people, known for the recurring eruptions of its prominent southern supervolcano, Knot

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

You know what, I meant that to be the money from Space Quest, but I hosed it up and used an in-universe currency. The correct one was "Buckazoids."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Is it ever explained why O'Brien is a non com or why there are any ship/station based non coms* in star fleet? The guy has greater qualifications, skills and experience than most officers. Even Nog outrank him as a cadet.

*or enlistees, considering automation.