Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that perfectly mimics how in the layton games he always solves everything immediately and only reveals the whole plot to the player at the end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Case 2 Is there gonna be a fuckin' trial or what, jesus

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Nope!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Is this like the first episode of an AA game without any sort of trial element? Even the Investigations series has portions where you listen to and refute testimony that essentially play identically to trials

E: Mmmn, this one doesn't feel good :( Now I'm sad

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 28, 2021

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

It wasn't remotely an equal pair-up as well, I'm fairly sure Layton had the entire case solved the instant he had a glance at the area, he was just enjoying stringing poor clueless Phoenix along.

Yeah, was never a fan of the cross-over for that reason. Layton being an immediate know-it-all the player is slowly catching up to is fine for his own game but didn't work that well when it's supposed to be an equal billing with PW imo.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Ace Attorney official twitter account posted a survey asking what people thing about the GAA and it had a question of whether you'd buy a 3rd game. And AA7 is being made. What on earth is this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I wouldn't put too much immediate stock in what a company is planning from a customer feedback survey. The entire point is to see if there would be enough interest to greenlight such a project.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm amazed the franchise is still this strong after all these years. The animation and character design quality this time around especially is just, aaaah :allears:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

drat it I can't find the video that was just the prosecutor's desk slam animation. :mad:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hot drat the presentation during Deductions is insane. I love Sholmes.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
1-3 end We finished a case without determining the guilty party? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS

1-4 We have George Joestar as a defendant

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Level Seven posted:

1-4 We have George Joestar as a defendant

That's a real life person.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

G1-3 my first impression of the defendant is this is Redd White’s ancestor

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've played cases 1 and 2 and I generally love this game, but I have a beef I also had with some other cases, particularly in Investigations 2, and am wondering if anyone feels this as well.

Cases 1 and 2:

These cases are too long, in a way that comes off as kind of artificial. Case 1 spends a really long time trying to introduce the envenoming plot, with everyone just sort of forgetting about the very obvious gunshot wound, and despite this being the crux of the third act, nobody really reacted to a witness destroying the evidence that could actually establish the theory. Similarly case 2 spent a whole lot of time trying to establish a crime scene with no other persons present where nobody pointed out that someone other than the victim had written "garderob" on the floor, rendering the premise false from the start.

Also a bit bummed that nobody bothered asking the killer about their motive in case 1, and that case 2 just ends on a totally depressing note. There better be some catharsis coming, game!

Case 3 spoiler:

Just got to part 2 and I'm convinced there's a bloodstain that wasn't there before. And Magnus Moneybags is far too savvy and self-reliant to be a proper defendant. Is he actually the killer? Did he hire this thief girl to alter the crime scene when nobody was looking? That would be fuckin wild.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Case 2, early:
That's real weird ink gap on that first P

Edit, kinda meta: Also, did an American write it? What kinda Russian would write in print?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man I wish these games had a 'have you played an Ace Attorney game before' button. I forgot how painfully slow the first case always is to introduce mechanics and explain how basic logic works to the player. This one seems way longer than usual too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

G1-3 Phoenix Wright Omnibus

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Waffleman_ posted:

G1-3 Phoenix Wright Omnibus

Hahaha I was mad that there’s not any clever dialogue associated with that

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

I know he was a real person, just the first thing I thought before he revealed his name.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Case 3: Can’t say I saw the bad ending of 2-4 coming

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Case 5: get hosed, gregson

Finished the first game. Game good. (I had actually started from the 4th case since I broke down and played the fan translation for 3 cases like… two weeks before the game came out)

addendum -- Game 2, Case 1: Aside from the vague bit of 'no homo', this is pretty much everything I didn't know I wanted. Susato :swoon:

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 29, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

End of case 3 :stare: Looks like Takumi also brought burning people alive over from Layton

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
Start of Game 1, Case 2

Nooooooo, not Asougi!!!!

He's such a likeable character too that I thought he would be a presence throughout the whole game. Why did Capcom kill him off so quickly? :smith:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the first dance of deduction in case 2

they're gay

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

shoc77 posted:

Start of Game 1, Case 2

Nooooooo, not Asougi!!!!

He's such a likeable character too that I thought he would be a presence throughout the whole game. Why did Capcom kill him off so quickly? :smith:

Same reason Mia died in the second case of AA, its tough being a competent mentor.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

stev posted:

Man I wish these games had a 'have you played an Ace Attorney game before' button. I forgot how painfully slow the first case always is to introduce mechanics and explain how basic logic works to the player. This one seems way longer than usual too.
you could just turn on text skip and, you know, mash past all the tutorials

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Arist posted:

Still in the first case, really loving the evolution of Ryunosuke's desk slam. He's got the nervous one where he doesn't even seem to know what he's doing and gets overly focused on his hands, the more eager one, and the really confident one where he just slams his palms down flat like Phoenix. It's really cool.

Yeah, I completed the first case yesterday and was loving how they were building up Ryunosuke during the case, culminating with him getting filled with zeal and doing the first OBJECTION!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i wish they'd make text skip faster
there's still a noticeable pause

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Case 3 whaaaat? What madness is this conclusion?
Case 4 I like how that one pose of Souseki is lifted straight from one of the few real photographs of him

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

G1-1 spoilers for character reveal/name: Aido Nosa. AIDO. NOSA. I would die for Aido Nosa. As someone who watched a competent playthrough of cases 1-3 and the opening of 4 last year I can’t remember if it was the same, but OH MY GOD. I love Ace Attorney and I love this game.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Case 1: that's the judge, right? Not his grandpa or father, but our judge, right? :v:

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
I'm confused, if this has no relation to the modern games then why is a time traveling Payne the prosecutor in the first case? :confused:

Just started, but the new character designs look great so far. This game is perfect for the Switch.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

hepcat posted:

I'm confused, if this has no relation to the modern games then why is a time traveling Payne the prosecutor in the first case? :confused:

Just started, but the new character designs look great so far. This game is perfect for the Switch.

It's his ancestor, because it's series tradition

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

G1-4 Susato having her world crushed when she realizes that Wilson is a girl younger than her is kinda funny

gotta say I'm enjoying this a lot so far. It's been a nice change of pace with none of the spirit medium aspects involved. those parts were a lot of fun but this is different and that's okay!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

shrike82 posted:

i wish they'd make text skip faster
there's still a noticeable pause

There's an option to change the pause time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Omobono posted:

Case 1: that's the judge, right? Not his grandpa or father, but our judge, right? :v:

This guy's a fair bit younger than the Judge. I don't think they could be the same unless a significant amount of time passes between Chronicles and the rest of the series.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

This guy's a fair bit younger than the Judge. I don't think they could be the same unless a significant amount of time passes between Chronicles and the rest of the series.

GAA1 takes place most likely in late 1901/early 1902.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 29, 2021

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

This guy's a fair bit younger than the Judge.

I'd hope so, Chronicles takes place like a century before the main series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's the Meiji and Victorian eras, so between 1868 and like 1903.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Look at you fools, not knowing that the judge is immortal.