Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The Witness is great, just a marvellous videogame with a brilliant concept, the puzzles were fun and importantly I really enjoyed just exploring the Island, its design and the vibrancy of it's world was one of my favourite parts. For whatever reason the game didn't provoke me into posting on an internet forum about how much of a wanker Jonathan Blow is but that seems to be a common side-effect. You'd think the man was a convicted criminal the way people rag on him.

I haven't played it but from the episode, it sounded like there's hour long essays by people that the designer liked scattered throughout the game? That seemed weird to me, but as a fan, you probably have a more nuanced opinion of why they're cool and not weirdly out of place and pedantic, which I'd like to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

A Strange Aeon posted:

I haven't played it but from the episode, it sounded like there's hour long essays by people that the designer liked scattered throughout the game? That seemed weird to me, but as a fan, you probably have a more nuanced opinion of why they're cool and not weirdly out of place and pedantic, which I'd like to hear.

Oh they are definitely a bit weird and overly-long/rambling, pretentious and high-brow would also be fair criticisms but I didn't see it as a reason to attack Jonathan Blow's character, don't get me wrong Braid had that same "oh you think you are so smart" vibe about it but it was still an excellent game. There were certainly parts of the Witness - even the puzzles themselves which I openly didn't feel smart enough to really comprehend but I still think that mechanic of increasingly complex puzzle panels is wonderful and I wish there was like a real life The Witness island.

edit: is part of his dislike for him sort of corny sounding statments like this : "Blow often speaks of the potential for games to be more. He has said that he tries to make games that are more adult for people with longer attention spans[25] and noted that games could have a "much bigger role" in culture in the future, but current game development does not address this potential, instead aiming for low-risk, high-profit titles"

I can see why that kind of attitude rubs people the wrong way but ultimately yeah I want more Braids and The Witness games rather than Assassins Creed or Lego Marvel

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 26, 2021

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
He's also said that women are genetically inferior to men, which is why I say:

Old Swerdlow posted:

Jonathan Blow sucks poo poo.

I could live with the guy being pretentious (and I played both Braid and Witness and enjoyed them both) but following that dude on Twitter after the Witness came out was an eye opening experience.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I love how much this Soulja Boy video makes Jon Blow sad.

https://youtu.be/xSXofLK5hFQ

https://youtu.be/gWqnz-7iQbY

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I got just far enough in The Witness that I wouldn't want to start over, but it's been long enough since I've played it that I would have to re-learn a bunch of it again. It's a tough spot to be in but I did enjoy it in the moment.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Been going through the Monster in my Podcast catalog, still a lot of fun. Has some great moments of Kole yelling at Gary for going too far.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Watching venture Bros so I can listen to ORB. A season 2 ep has a Riven reference, can understand why this is a Duckfeed favorite.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm saving all the episodes for when I start a rewatch after I move, but I'm so glad to have them waiting. I don't think I ever watched the final season or two so looking forward to that as well.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Their Horizon Zero Dawn episode was the first to actually make me disinterested in a game. I'd been meaning to play it eventually but I didn't realise how much nonsense open world stuff was involved. An excellent... what do Gary and Kole call it? "Podcast as service" episode?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I was torn on listening to it, because I played about 10 hours of it a year ago and figured I might go back to finish it someday. Glad I did though.

Gary was on the nose when he said the distance from the start to the interesting plot stuff should have been shorter. I could tell there was going to be a reveal about the past eventually, but there wasn’t enough info to hook me and I was still in “doing favors for the Sun King” mode when I stopped playing. If I’d been more convinced they’d land the plot in a satisfying way, I might have stuck with it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Horizon is one of those games that probably gets worse the deeper you dive into it, listening to the guys episode a lot of the more in depth story stuff really just washed right past me, I suppose my main focus throughout was the games combat. The enemy variety and even the design of robotic dinosaurs was the biggest draw and even if fighting human enemies and open-world padding weren't the greatest I was still compelled to get the platinum in a brisk 38 hours.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Y'all are making me reluctant to listen to the episode. I hold HZD in pretty high esteem and mostly only listen to WOFF episodes to hear them praise things they like, so if it's 3.5 hrs with a substantial amount of gripes maybe it is not for me.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Reviewers forced to play through a game in a limited amount of time will always believe any more substantial game to be too long. These things stop being fun when you're rushing through them for work.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sivart13 posted:

Y'all are making me reluctant to listen to the episode. I hold HZD in pretty high esteem and mostly only listen to WOFF episodes to hear them praise things they like, so if it's 3.5 hrs with a substantial amount of gripes maybe it is not for me.

I don't really get this opinion. Why would you only want to hear positive opinions of the works you love, instead of the contrary view to deepen your own appreciation of the work.

I sure as poo poo don't agree with Gary or Coles opinions on games very much at all, but that makes me consider their outsider criticism that much higher.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I can see someone not having fun listening to an episode that's largely negative on a game they love. I never finished the Abes odyssey episode because they were really down on it but i can see that being frustrating for anyone especially playing with time in mind. I chipped away at it over weeks one summer holiday as a kid so there was really a time and place thing

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I haven’t listened to the Horizon Dawn WOFF and usually am about on the same wavelength for eps about games I liked, an outlier that jumps to mind is when they did King of Dragon Pass and I think one of them had a tech error and either couldn’t play or lost most of their progress so it turned into a banter episode. Which I usually wouldn’t mind but I was hoping they’d get into the super intricate weird lore.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I can see someone not having fun listening to an episode that's largely negative on a game they love. I never finished the Abes odyssey episode because they were really down on it but i can see that being frustrating for anyone especially playing with time in mind. I chipped away at it over weeks one summer holiday as a kid so there was really a time and place thing

I had to not listen to the I'm Afraid of Americans episode of teenage dirtbags cause them talking uninformed poo poo about one of my favorite musicians for 45 minutes was just too much for me, and I can see the same thing happening with the games stuff. Much like I know Trent Reznor is not perfect I know HZD isn't perfect but I don't need to listen to two people who didn't like it talk for 3.5 unscripted hours about it. If I want criticism there's things that actually fall under that definition out there, but none of the shows on the network qualify as that.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I just stick my fingers in my ears and go lalala when someone has a different opinion than me, it's worked out great so far.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 5, 2021

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Gary and Kole taught me to hate Metroid Fusion.

Joking aside, I like the game, but I appreciated a critical eye on its weaknesses. As long as it's an intelligent conversation I'm very happy to hear criticism of a thing I love.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
As someone who enjoys Rare and Crash Bandicoot games, I've built up a strong capacity to listen to negative opinions from Gary and Kole about things I like.

They also both repeatedly stress that they're not making moral judgements on people who enjoy games they don't like. Knowing that they're approaching their criticism in good faith helps make it easier to listen to, and occasionally makes me think more deeply about why I had the opposite reaction.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My issue is when it's just three hours of stuff that can be put into a folder labeled "poo poo I already know but didn't bother me" like HZD. I'm not gaining anything from it.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't really get this opinion. Why would you only want to hear positive opinions of the works you love, instead of the contrary view to deepen your own appreciation of the work.
There's no shortage of reviews that focus on the flaws in a work. What I'm often hoping for in a WOFF episode is an appreciation for the things that were done well, hopefully with a little meta analysis of why the good things landed the way they did.

Fame Douglas posted:

Reviewers forced to play through a game in a limited amount of time will always believe any more substantial game to be too long.
I did ultimately listen to the ep and I agree with this assessment. Some of the sidequests are bad, but not as bad as they made them out to be. I probably played the game over the course of a month, I can't imagine how annoying any of the annoying parts would have seemed over a week.

I'm one of those people who is content to play one or two of these big open world games a year, so the length didn't bother me. Compared to AC:Valhalla, HZD is positively svelte. The modern day story is worse than the metal world story, but I still enjoyed being immersed in this world and imagining how things got from there to here.

I can see someone who listens to this without playing the game thinking that HZD is a bad game with some good story parts, whereas I think it's a good game with some good story parts.

Their fury with the trash economy in the game is on point, though. I spent way too much time picking trash off the ground, sorting through my trash in the menus, and giving my trash to vendors for almost no reward. Definitely recommend anyone on PC install the x10 inventory slots mod or any similar quality of life thing.

I didn't agree with their take that Ted Faro's arguments for destroying Apollo should've been presented by some other character. I didn't perceive Faro's argument as a serious one, just a last desperate grasp for relevance from someone who had doomed all life on the planet and just lost his close frenemy.

There's room for arguments about what the best way to reboot human civilization would have been, but "destroy the encyclopedia" isn't really one of them.

It sucks that they didn't play Frozen Wilds! Though I doubt it would have changed their opinions much.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I like when the WOFF boix are kinda down on a game precisely because I think they’re good at highlighting what worked for them, even if the game didn’t on the whole. Likewise they’re good at acknowledging specific parts that suck in games they otherwise liked. Haven’t played HZD but the episode fell on the latter side imo

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Speaking of Kole and Gary panning things you like, I just listened to the BFSC-in-review episode and was surprised to hear their take on Nioh.

For me, the stance system and variety of offensive options was a breath of fresh air compared to Dark Souls, and the biggest positive point for the game. Maybe it was under-developed in terms of having to approach different situations with different moves, but I still found it very fun to play with.

Especially back in DS1, it feels like 90% of the time, the correct offensive option is to just R1 once or twice and then wait for the next opening, and eventually that got a bit stale for me. DS3 jazzed it up a bit with weapon arts, but even half of those were just passive buffs. But they had different opinions about it and that's okay :)

misadventurous posted:

I like when the WOFF boix are kinda down on a game precisely because I think they’re good at highlighting what worked for them, even if the game didn’t on the whole. Likewise they’re good at acknowledging specific parts that suck in games they otherwise liked. Haven’t played HZD but the episode fell on the latter side imo

Yeah I like the episodes where they're less than glowing, too. They're good at articulating why they didn't enjoy an experience, and what could have been done differently. It mostly seems to happen when they pick old games they played as kids to revisit (see Soul Reaver), but I'd be down for more episodes of games they didn't love.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The best episodes are when Gary and Kole are at odds. The ones with nothing but praise can be great or dull. But the ones where both hate it can feel like they trip over themselves to get in digs at it so much that the actual criticism is lost.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
How long will it take before if I know whether or not I like Paradise Killer? I played the first half hour or so and just kind of got a headache. I don't want to be too harsh on the game because it's clearly perfect for some people who aren't me.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Twitch posted:

How long will it take before if I know whether or not I like Paradise Killer? I played the first half hour or so and just kind of got a headache. I don't want to be too harsh on the game because it's clearly perfect for some people who aren't me.

There's two power-ups you can get that make it easier for you to get around. Look for the foot spas.

That said, if the mystery doesn't hook you in soon it probably won't. Running around the island was never anything but a chore for me.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Somehow, despite Abject Suffering probably being my favourite podcast running in the moment, it always gets lost in my podcast feed and I only remember it exists like once a month, where I then get to binge watch four episodes at a time. I think that show deserves a more ostentatious logo, or maybe like some clickbait titles.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I mostly listen on Spotify. If I become a patron, do I need to use some other app to listen to the premium episodes?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yes. Pocket Casts is good, for example. But maybe Duckfeed has plans for offering their Premium feed through Spotify as well?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Beartaco posted:

Somehow, despite Abject Suffering probably being my favourite podcast running in the moment, it always gets lost in my podcast feed and I only remember it exists like once a month, where I then get to binge watch four episodes at a time. I think that show deserves a more ostentatious logo, or maybe like some clickbait titles.

Be sure to listen to AS 409 for the full telling of a car ramming Gary’s house.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Fame Douglas posted:

Yes. Pocket Casts is good, for example. But maybe Duckfeed has plans for offering their Premium feed through Spotify as well?

Almost definitely not, Spotify gives no fucks about podcasts that don't do insane numbers or don't have a celebrity attached.

For premium feeds you can try to use the Patreon app, but you can use just about any third party app on your phone for a much better experience. I like Overcast on iOS.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

EC posted:

Almost definitely not, Spotify gives no fucks about podcasts that don't do insane numbers or don't have a celebrity attached.

For premium feeds you can try to use the Patreon app, but you can use just about any third party app on your phone for a much better experience. I like Overcast on iOS.

Spotify is opening up their payment platform for all podcasts, as far as I've read.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I hadn't seen that! I looked it up and it's a slightly better deal than going with Apple (Spotify takes %5 instead of %30), but it ain't great. You have to use a specific hosting platform (Anchor), you can't set your own prices (it's locked to $3/5/8), and you can't subscribe from within the app. That last one is really rough.

I don't want to put word's in Kole's mouth but I can't see the value you'd get from doing that when you already have a successful Patreon that allows people to get the content they pay for through standard apps/infrastructure.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've completely forgotten about every podcast that's gone Spotify, It's just a terrible service for podcasts

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Moreso than any other app, it's really bad at remembering where I left off and sometimes it resets podcasts for no reason.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

A favorite recurring bit is Kole mentioning a sensible home improvement or investment tip and Gary getting enraged.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

EC posted:

I hadn't seen that! I looked it up and it's a slightly better deal than going with Apple (Spotify takes %5 instead of %30), but it ain't great. You have to use a specific hosting platform (Anchor), you can't set your own prices (it's locked to $3/5/8), and you can't subscribe from within the app. That last one is really rough.

I don't want to put word's in Kole's mouth but I can't see the value you'd get from doing that when you already have a successful Patreon that allows people to get the content they pay for through standard apps/infrastructure.

Not being able to subscribe from the app seems like a decision born out of not wanting Apple and Google to get their 30% cut. Clearly not in Spotify's interest. And having to host the podcast with them is standard for this new paradigm, Apple is doing the same. And any podcast on Spotify is hosted by Spotify anyways.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 29, 2021

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Edit: never mind

EC fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't like this new paradigm of locked podcasting platforms either, I very much prefer the free-and-open current model, where I can chose my preferred app. But I think locked platform are, unfortunately, where things are going.