Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Grendels Dad posted:

very narrow alleys.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Also add the Forever Bat-sub that comes out of the Batwing

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Is that the one that has a compartment from which a little arm comes out holding a cartoon bomb

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Grendels Dad posted:

Keaton in Returns. It's, uh, the emergency mode for when Batman has to, uh, drive through very narrow alleys.

It was a great toy. That and the penguin soldiers got a lot of play time at my house.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The MSJ posted:

To which Batman does this Schlongmobile belong too?

https://youtu.be/QKcdaTUoj3g

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
So it looks like a million The Suicide Squad reviews dropped and they're all...good?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_suicide_squad

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 29, 2021

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sean10mm posted:

So it looks like a million The Suicide Squad reviews dropped and they're all...good?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_suicide_squad

Yeah, I'll pass.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, I'll pass.

What are we, some kind of loving suicide squad?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That's just what it was always going to be. I'm surprised that quote is from a review and not a press release tbh

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah, I'll pass.

Fuckin sold

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Yeah, I'll pass.

I was also just waiting for *checks notes* entertainment.ie to give the definitive take.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

you have to imagine that's exactly what DC pitched to Gunn, though

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I saw a review saying it's just a gigantic budget Troma film, which kind of sold it to me.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Darko posted:

I saw a review saying it's just a gigantic budget Troma film, which kind of sold it to me.

Kind of an oxymoron, that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Darko posted:

There is absolutely zero chance it lives up to that description

Sadly

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

https://twitter.com/ezwrites/status/1420797761033625600?s=12

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

That is interesting. Can't imagine Disney wants that fight to get publicly ugly but Johansson is nowhere near as central to the MCU as say RDJ was and they could certainly squash her career if they really wanted to.

That said seeing the mouse get taken down a peg would be pretty satisfying, even if Johansson is not someone I'd root for in pretty much any other circumstance.

Real "let them fight" vibes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mat Cauthon posted:

That is interesting. Can't imagine Disney wants that fight to get publicly ugly but Johansson is nowhere near as central to the MCU as say RDJ was and they could certainly squash her career if they really wanted to.

That said seeing the mouse get taken down a peg would be pretty satisfying, even if Johansson is not someone I'd root for in pretty much any other circumstance.

Johansson has to literally kill a few puppies for me to not take her side in a legal conflict with Disney.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I'm pretty sure I'd only take Disney's side if, like, Harvey Weinstein was suing them.

But also, Johansson's complaint seems pretty valid. If she was contractually entitled to some kind of backend money based on box office performance of her movie, and Disney purposefully split the take in half to maximize their own profits without re-negotiating her deal, that seems like a pretty bad faith move that would be actionable. Though I'd be surprised if they don't settle for some crazy figure just to avoid dealing with it...the narrative that Disney sidelined Johansson, and Black Widow the character, and women broadly in the MCU already exists and this case would feed into that.

Even if they believe 1000% that her claim is baseless, "giant media corporation refuses to pay the lead of their feminist comic book blockbuster" sounds pretty bad. Even $100M isn't worth the bad press, I'd guess.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's certainly possible they quickly settle if this really blows up as a PR thing, but the article is clear that her representatives approached Disney before filing suit (which is standard practice) and they turned her down. If Disney were willing to pay anything to make it go away quietly (WB, for instance, renegotiated a bunch of contracts after they decided to release new movies on HBO Max), they would most likely have done so before the actual lawsuit.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It looks like the Batgirl film is in the DCEU, as J.K. Simmons plays Commissioner Gordon.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's certainly possible they quickly settle if this really blows up as a PR thing, but the article is clear that her representatives approached Disney before filing suit (which is standard practice) and they turned her down. If Disney were willing to pay anything to make it go away quietly (WB, for instance, renegotiated a bunch of contracts after they decided to release new movies on HBO Max), they would most likely have done so before the actual lawsuit.

I’m sure Disney doesn’t want to encourage actors into thinking they have power and would rather attempt to crush this mercilessly in order to avoid future stars getting crazy ideas about compensation that don’t align with whatever Disney wants to do.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Grendels Dad posted:

Johansson has to literally kill a few puppies for me to not take her side in a legal conflict with Disney.

She's a Woody Allen/Joss Whedon apologist. They both suck.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Mat Cauthon posted:

and fight they shall

quote:

Disney (DIS) responded on Thursday saying that "there is no merit whatsoever to this filing" and that the suit is "especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the COVID-19 pandemic."

"Disney has fully complied with Ms. Johansson's contract and furthermore, the release of 'Black Widow' on Disney+ with Premier Access has significantly enhanced her ability to earn additional compensation on top of the $20 million she has received to date," a Disney spokesperson said in a statement.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I like that they put how much she got already so it looks like she's begging for a cherry on her cake when they've got the buffet behind them

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Sadly

I agree. It could be more Slither with a bigger budget than Guardians DC version though.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

teagone posted:

She's a Woody Allen/Joss Whedon apologist. They both suck.

I’ll still take the lovely individual over the evil mega corporation with massive political influence and cultural reach if I have to pick one to root for.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
From the reporting, it seems like a clear breach of contract that Johansson will win.

Isn't wasn't "malicious," but Disney planned to only release it in theaters and told her so in 2019, but they didn't want to sit on it any longer after almost two years of Covid delays and the Disney+/Phase 4 stuff coming out and decided to drop it on Disney+ to make some money back when all the theaters were closed.

They just conveniently didn't reach out to proactively renegotiate it because they hoped it wouldn't be a big thing and they "had to" do it after sitting on finished projects for over a year that were starting to back into the newly recorded and scheduled projects.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MacheteZombie posted:

Sadly

I've a few mention it too, mainly in the sense that he's 'channeling his Troma roots for some of the violence and gore'.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
This is the exact same thing that happened with Warner on HBO Max launch. They really pissed off their directors with the whole "well guess what!?!?! we're putting your poo poo directly on streaming, chew on that for a while!"

Also if you're on the left you are supposed to support the person who does the work over the person who profits from it. This is a slam-dunk "support SJ" and her lovely behavior doesn't enter into it. As someone who has a family member who works for Disney, and who has told me stories of her many co-workers with health problems from overwork and the wage theft and game-playing Disney does, there's no contest whatsoever.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This is the exact same thing that happened with Warner on HBO Max launch. They really pissed off their directors with the whole "well guess what!?!?! we're putting your poo poo directly on streaming, chew on that for a while!"

Also if you're on the left you are supposed to support the person who does the work over the person who profits from it. This is a slam-dunk "support SJ" and her lovely behavior doesn't enter into it. As someone who has a family member who works for Disney, and who has told me stories of her many co-workers with health problems from overwork and the wage theft and game-playing Disney does, there's no contest whatsoever.

I think there's a little more nuance to it than that. SJ's personal character, good or bad, is kind of distraction here. Undoubtedly it is good for a (admittedly rich & powerful in their own right) worker to challenge an exploitative corporation that is cheating them out of their due earnings. It's amazing that she by all accounts has a fair shot at winning, even if whatever settlement comes out of this will be nothing more than a rounding error on the year's earnings for Disney.

That said, does a victory in this case for SJ trickle down to the improving the lot of rank and file Disney staff at parks, especially the "guest laborers" who are treated like quasi-serfs? Will it give the un-unionized CGI & viz artists a leg up in pushing back against not only being exploited themselves but used as a wedge to weaken the bargaining position of stunt performers and other below the line film workers? Can it represent even so much as a tremor in the Mouse's nigh-hegemonic position in the media landscape, where they basically wield IP law as they see fit and dominate the entire cultural economy to an extent that goes beyond even the wildest dreams of a CCP bureaucrat?

If I had to guess I would say that the answers to those questions are "nope", "maybe if the exact right case comes along", and "hell no". Doesn't mean there's no significance to it, but the framing of taking sides kinds of does a disservice to the whole thing IMO. There's no one to root for here and there's not really a clean victory to be had.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 30, 2021

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
yeah seriously if there was a way for them both to lose i would gladly support that, unless the proceeds are getting donated or something

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I absolutely refuse to support a soulless megacorp, 100%, that's just being human. But this is also my mood:

https://twitter.com/LadyJenevia/status/1420867807193882625

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope she wins her case

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Scarjo didn't steal ghost in the shell from a Japanese woman, she plays the shell Kaori Yamamoto's ghost is put into against her consent because of the classism/racism of hanka corp

I'm assuming that's what the "playing roles that should have gone to Asian women" accusation is about. All the other accusations could be true I don't know

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Blood Boils posted:

Scarjo didn't steal ghost in the shell from a Japanese woman, she plays the shell Kaori Yamamoto's ghost is put into against her consent because of the classism/racism of hanka corp

I'm assuming that's what the "playing roles that should have gone to Asian women" accusation is about. All the other accusations could be true I don't know

In movie justifications don't matter imo the script and character should have supported an Asian lead.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

That said, does a victory in this case for SJ trickle down to the improving the lot of rank and file Disney staff at parks, especially the "guest laborers" who are treated like quasi-serfs? Will it give the un-unionized CGI & viz artists a leg up in pushing back against not only being exploited themselves but used as a wedge to weaken the bargaining position of stunt performers and other below the line film workers? Can it represent even so much as a tremor in the Mouse's nigh-hegemonic position in the media landscape, where they basically wield IP law as they see fit and dominate the entire cultural economy to an extent that goes beyond even the wildest dreams of a CCP bureaucrat?

Her winning may not mean much improvement for the rank and file but her losing will sure as poo poo make it worse for everyone because it would just be further validation that Disney can do whatever it wants to whoever it wants.

Jerkface posted:

In movie justifications don't matter imo the script and character should have supported an Asian lead.

Lots of movies should have Asian leads that don’t but getting mad at an actress because of the effects entrenched white supremacy in Hollywood doesn’t seem especially productive. The producers wanted a white woman in the role and her passing would have been a nice ethical stand but would have also just resulted in a different white woman in the role.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Her winning may not mean much improvement for the rank and file but her losing will sure as poo poo make it worse for everyone because it would just be further validation that Disney can do whatever it wants to whoever it wants.

Lots of movies should have Asian leads that don’t but getting mad at an actress because of the effects entrenched white supremacy in Hollywood doesn’t seem especially productive. The producers wanted a white woman in the role and her passing would have been a nice ethical stand but would have also just resulted in a different white woman in the role.

"just do a lovely thing otherwise someone else will do it"

She's the best paid actress in hollywood, she can pass on a script if she wants.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

"just do a lovely thing otherwise someone else will do it"

She's the best paid actress in hollywood, she can pass on a script if she wants.

Sure, the net effect of which will be nothing because the issue isn’t down to the choices of individual actors and actresses. Would it be different if she wasn’t well paid, but was instead a struggling actress trying to break through? Like I said, passing would have been the ethical thing to do but the actual effects in terms of improving things for non-white actors would have been nil because she’s not the cause of the problem, she’s an the effect.

And why this role and not so many others out there? Is there a role Emma Stone has ever taken that couldn’t have been played by an Asian woman? I think the idea that it’s uniquely bad because GitS is a Japanese property just ends up perpetuating the idea that there are “Asian” roles and the *truly* bad thing is when White people steal “Asian” roles…because the unspoken implication is that it’s not as bad when White people are the default choice for roles that don’t have some cultural or thematic reason to be given to a non-white actress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC actual Japanese people didn't particularly care, though given the track record of American adaptations of Japanese anime and manga, they were probably just pleasantly surprised that it was remotely recognisable at all.