Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

I think there is something to be said for a challenge that focuses on how queens present outside of the character (or if they can inhabit the character so fully that the line is blurred -- the Alaskas, Jinkxes, Bens, Bobs, Monets, etc. -- basically a trait that has 1:1 exchange for 'making it' as a brand outside the show/drag circuit) but yeah, the big pink table was extremely meh with just a very few bright spots.

It's no Coven, though, so.

edit: snype

Carlton Banks Teller fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

GrandmaParty posted:

Give me laughter. Give me fun. Give me workroom fuckery. Vulnerability has its place but this was forced. The queens should choose when to open up or be vulnerable and rupaul forced them. That's horse poo poo.

I have really enjoyed the interactions between some of the queens in the workroom this season, at least. :3

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Read After Burning posted:

I have really enjoyed the interactions between some of the queens in the workroom this season, at least. :3

I think it helps that absolutely none of them are obvious front runners like past seasons, and we're kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel for what we call all stars, so everyone feels like this is their chance to really prove themselves. There are some queens who I've been really surprised by this time around.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i'm okay with the All Star brand being basically used as 'comeback specials' for queens that wanna take another swing at it. i agree that this cast and season has succeeded mostly because there weren't very clear front-runners; they're just a gaggle of some of the more entertaining queens that make good tv.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
The queens who did the best on their seasons have been doing the worst in this one, fwiw. At this point, I'm pretty over the idea that picking queens who placed in the bottom half of their seasons is reaching. I mean, judging is always controversial to begin with, so why bother gatekeeping AS-worthiness based on track record. It never was a thing in the first place when Tammie Brown was on AS1, and thank god she was.

Anyways, last episode. Not the worst acting challenge but felt like one of the longest. Happy for the winner. Great lip sync, but it was pretty one-sided. Imaging bringing Manila in for a Christina lip sync. She's incredible with the right song, but that was definitely not one of hers.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

If you’re not watching Drag Race Espana you really, really should. Phenomenal season.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just spreading the wins around so production can safely choose their winners without any backlash

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I don't if this was posted or not because I haven't watched the latest episode yet but apparently Gottmik got an audition to be pinhead from his outfit. Honestly I think they were right because he always seems too happy go lucky to be pinhead

https://screenrant.com/hellraiser-movie-reboot-cast-gottmik-audition-details/

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Not strictly Drag Race related but I saw Priyanka's Taste Test tour tonight and it is loving amazing and she is working HARD. I had a chance to invite myself along to afterparty but didn't take it because I am shy and dumb and I am kicking myself.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I don't if this was posted or not because I haven't watched the latest episode yet but apparently Gottmik got an audition to be pinhead from his outfit. Honestly I think they were right because he always seems too happy go lucky to be pinhead

https://screenrant.com/hellraiser-movie-reboot-cast-gottmik-audition-details/

To be fair, plenty of wonderful people have played awful characters in horror. I'd say Gottmik's enthusiasm would be nothing but beneficial to any role he could play. And I just really love that look.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Yuhua started a fundraiser for Laganja's transition. :D It's already mostly funded (including donations from Cheryl Hole and Gia Gunn), and I'm so happy to see her getting so much support so quickly.

Here's Laganja's reaction, if you wanted some wholesome in your day. :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwCBRi3jVEQ&t=138s

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

D'aww. Only Laganja could deliver the phrase "I'm so gagged" in tears with such sincerity.

The check saying "Estraja" rofl.

Glad to see Bootleg Opinions grow so much. Yuhua for AS7.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

While I always appreciate the opportunity to see (most) queens again, I kind of wish the producers would do less "Fan fav/top 3 on her VERY recent season" and more "'forgotten' queen from older seasons" to see where they're at now in their drag.

Quick dream list!

- Jaidynn Fierce (not sure if Dior is part of her name anymore) is on the top of this list every time
- Darienne Lake
- Joslyn Fox
- April Carrion
- Mrs. Kasha Davis
- Lineysha Sparx
- Yuhua
- Laila McQueen

In particular, I maintain that Lineysha still has my absolute favorite DIY look on the show's history:

And Laila's glow up is great! Some of her recent looks make my little bi heart melt:

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
Wow. Jandora.

We really need a :janpop: like :chanpop:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
An otherwise boring episode with a shocking ending.

I like Jan, but I like watching her be sent home. She's very talented, and seems like a good person, but she needs like 10 years to feel more comfortable in her own skin. That overexuberance is a facade.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I'm mad.

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
Like Bob said: This season of Allstars is explicitly made to mentally torment Jan.

Alexis: The group has chosen Pandora.
Jan: :unsmith:
Ru: Wait wait, I forgot to mention this one specific rule I just made up; Jan get the gently caress out of here!
Jan: :smith:

Drag Race España final:
Carmen is 100% a worthy winner. Not only beautiful, talented, and funny, but she also seemed genuinely caring and friendly as well. Congrats!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Elimination chat: it would not surprise me if Alexis was told to pull the lipsticks that way, to maximize drama and break Jan a little more. I've seen speculation elsewhere that Trinity let her wig fall off so she wouldn't be the one chopping Jan.

Next week's preview: yay for Snatch Game I guess? Boo for it being SG of Love.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Next week's guest spoiler: Fortune Feimster next week! :dance:

Drimble Wedge posted:

Elimination chat: I've seen speculation elsewhere that Trinity let her wig fall off so she wouldn't be the one chopping Jan.

I highly doubt it. There's no way they would forgo winning the lipsync prize money simply for some kind of drag politics, at least not for that kind of thing.

Edit: I just realized I committed a crime and forgot Jaymes Mansfield on my list of "dream All Stars cast". Remember how she actually totally won that Love Shack lipsync against Kimora? :colbert:

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 29, 2021

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

“I’m gonna buy a used car! not a new one. don’t want them payments”

line of the season tbh

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

czg posted:

Like Bob said: This season of Allstars is explicitly made to mentally torment Jan.

Alexis: The group has chosen Pandora.
Jan: :unsmith:
Ru: Wait wait, I forgot to mention this one specific rule I just made up; Jan get the gently caress out of here!
Jan: :smith:

Drag Race España final:
Carmen is 100% a worthy winner. Not only beautiful, talented, and funny, but she also seemed genuinely caring and friendly as well. Congrats!

Yeah pretty much all this. My heart hurts for her. Ru must have gotten proper dragged in Granny's first letter and is holding a grudge.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Well, that was an elimination. Glad a tie finally happened, but mixed feelings about who it happened to. I was kind of living for how pressed and somewhat delusional ~~Jan~~ was in her talking head. Like can we get more of imma-cut-someone ~~Jan~~?

I heard used cars prices are actually ridiculous right now.

Read After Burning posted:

Edit: I just realized I committed a crime and forgot Jaymes Mansfield on my list of "dream All Stars cast". Remember how she actually totally won that Love Shack lipsync against Kimora? :colbert:

Yeah, I was gonna say but her was too late and had to avoid reading new posts.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

gandlethorpe posted:

I heard used cars prices are actually ridiculous right now.

2011 Prius near me with 234k miles on it for $7000. Nobody going anywhere for a year really drove up car prices instead of down for some reason.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

my sadness at jan's departure is alleviated by her absolute 'give-no-fucks smile-and-eat-a-bowl-of-poo poo' energy to ru's critique that her performance felt soulless

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 30, 2021

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

curiousTerminal posted:

2011 Prius near me with 234k miles on it for $7000. Nobody going anywhere for a year really drove up car prices instead of down for some reason.
I heard it's because rental car companies are a surprisingly significant source of used cars. They sell off most of their fleets every couple of years, which didn't happen this go-round for obvious reasons.

On topic, I haven't watched the ep yet but as much as I want to like Jan, her timing is absolutely terrible. It's that, not her goes-to-eleven energy, that's her real Achilles heel imo. Not too upset about the fact of this elimination even if the manner of it was Some Bullshit, per y'all.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

spite house posted:

I heard it's because rental car companies are a surprisingly significant source of used cars. They sell off most of their fleets every couple of years, which didn't happen this go-round for obvious reasons.

It’s also because of the chip shortage. New car inventory is down across the board and there is a renewed demand for cars after the pandemic leading to the high used car prices.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Kylie pouring her heart out and Ru's here making noncommittal grunts like he's trying to remember if he left the stove on

e: Honestly I live for Jan's "I don't give a poo poo what you think anymore" energy

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 30, 2021

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Wow, Sonique was pouring her heart out to Ru and Ru stood there like some sort of sociopath, emotionless.

She really doesn’t care for these queens, does she?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Andrew_1985 posted:

Wow, Sonique was pouring her heart out to Ru and Ru stood there like some sort of sociopath, emotionless.

She really doesn’t care for these queens, does she?

Reminds me of Pearl.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

the escape goat posted:

“I’m gonna buy a used car! not a new one. don’t want them payments”

line of the season tbh

Trinity K Bonet is the protagonist of the season and no one can tell me otherwise :kimchi:

I think we all could tell Jan wasn’t about to make it to the end but goddamn Ru was it really necessary to very loudly call her soulless on the main stage :pusheen:

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
I still don’t understand why it was two groups despite them singing and dancing together

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Just in case they needed to judge them as teams rofl

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I’m living for this world where Trinity K Bonet is a front runner. This fits with my French vanilla fantasy.

EDIT: About the lipsync, Trinity has been done loving dirty with 2 songs that are made for the assassins. Losing her wig was tragic though.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jul 30, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nihonniboku posted:

An otherwise boring episode with a shocking ending.

I like Jan, but I like watching her be sent home. She's very talented, and seems like a good person, but she needs like 10 years to feel more comfortable in her own skin. That overexuberance is a facade.

Sometimes people are just happy and nothing horrible has ever happened to them. That's Jan and it doesn't work for reality TV.

Now Olivia, that's a person that has what Jan is being accused of.

Eej fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 30, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The judging is just straight up bullshit now. Nothing makes sense. They aren’t even trying anymore. gently caress this poo poo.

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
Apparently the LSA this week has been in 4 lipsyncs where the others wig has fallen off, which is a very funny statistic

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ru just straight up telling Jan "everything about your performance was perfect but I just cant see you as a human being" like god drat Ru wtf

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
That was definitely an upset!
Even though it was probably time for Jan to go home, I kind of wish it were Pandora instead? I was expecting much more from her this whole season but she's really been skating by and giving this "actually I'm shy" storyline. What happened to the comedy queen everybody loved?
I at least found the "Jan vs The Producers" storyline more fun.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
What bothers me is that Jan was SO CLOSE to being able to do her thing while also nailing the challenge. She could have still done a bit about being peppy and full of happy energy, IF she chose to focus on doing it in the face of all the criticism it brings her. That's a message! Instead, she was just like "this is me! wokka wokka I'm peppy biiitch." Ru actually gave TKB some really great advice in regards to rephrasing her lyrics to land a lot better. I wonder if she had Jan give her a few lines and then shadily failed to give her the same.

But, at least she loving said anything in her verse. Pandora had long pauses filled with production and a line and a half of laughing that she couldn't lip sync to. Her lines were... economical. It's like she was trying to write a haiku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I do agree that Jan maybe SHOULD have put a line about being yourself too and trying to be happy all the time but it was just me me me. I don't think that should make you in the bottom tho since it was performed amazingly well and her runway was fantastic. I'd have probably put Pandora in for her poo poo lyrics and Eureka for that horrible runway - what the gently caress the judges loving a white bathing suit. With Pandora going home because they have done gently caress all this season.