Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

It's the Meiji and Victorian eras, so between 1868 and like 1903.

Yeah, I'm mostly going off of Soseki Natsume, since he's the one actual historical figure. 1901-1903 is the span he spent in Great Britain, and he states in the case 3 that he's been in London for about a year, so early 1902 would match that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

It's the Meiji and Victorian eras, so between 1868 and like 1903.

Case 1-4 puts it pretty firmly in 1901/1902, as does all the talk of the Anglo-Japanese Alliance, which was signed January 1902 in real life.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nanomashoes posted:

Look at you fools, not knowing that Payne is immortal.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Almost exactly 100 years before DL-6

makes u think

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

This guy's a fair bit younger than the Judge. I don't think they could be the same unless a significant amount of time passes between Chronicles and the rest of the series.
i cannot believe how hard you missed the joke here

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Amppelix posted:

i cannot believe how hard you missed the joke here

Maybe they were leaning into the joke but bungled the execution

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

1-4 It's weird seeing Soseki Natsume as this much of a caricature but he fits in nicely with the larger-than-life AA cast and I really enjoyed his little monologue about being alone in this country and wanting to entrust his fate to Ryunosuke because they share a mother tongue.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

1-1 God drat I thought the steak having a bite taken out of it was just a funny visual goof. Also I definitely don't miss getting penalised because I'm thinking ahead of the characters.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

1-2 I can't believe they're doing Ryunosuke gets accused of a murder he didn't do twice in a row.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I love awkward Ryunosuke so much

Also (1-1) I'm clearly just at the beginning but I was sure that the "wah" noises were some sort of clunky indication of where the dodgy statements were for the tutorial case and suddenly the soldier is stuffing an infant behind his back, glad to see the game getting off to a running start

Also also the names are all great but holy poo poo Auchi :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Auchi has always been Payne's Japanese name, even

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The fact I have work for three days and cannot keep playing is killing me.

Why couldn’t you have had a mobile release Capcom. I can’t bring a Switch to a hospital, no matter how dead night shift is at 1-4 am! :negative:

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
4-X The fourth case in Japanese was originally 吾輩と霧の夜の冒險/Wagahai to Kiri no Yoru no Bouken, which literally means "Me and my journey on the clouded night". However, the title is not translatable to English, because Wagahai is a direct reference to Natsume Soseki's Novel Wagahai wa Neko dearu in reference to the protagonist who is a cat. Just by looking at the title, a Japanese person would immediately understand that there is a reference to Natsume Soseki. So they localized it to 'Adventure of the Clouded Kokoro', another reference to Natsume Souseki's famous novel Kokoro. This is why it sounds so weird.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

hopeandjoy posted:

The fact I have work for three days and cannot keep playing is killing me.

Why couldn’t you have had a mobile release Capcom. I can’t bring a Switch to a hospital, no matter how dead night shift is at 1-4 am! :negative:

Try using Splashtop, steam links or moonlight and play it on your phone

derra
Dec 29, 2012
drat, I wasn't feeling the first two cases of GAA2 but the 3rd goes all out.

It's funny that people were saying GAA 1-1 was too long, I think it was one of the best intro cases yet. Ryunosuke is inexperienced and lacks confidence but is sharp, and it really comes through.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

derra posted:

drat, I wasn't feeling the first two cases of GAA2 but the 3rd goes all out.

It's funny that people were saying GAA 1-1 was too long, I think it was one of the best intro cases yet. Ryunosuke is inexperienced and lacks confidence but is sharp, and it really comes through.

It's good but there's not really enough going on with it to justify its length.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

stev posted:

Keep playing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

stev posted:

It's really not long at all though, hell it's shorter than all but 1-1 and 2-1 I'm pretty sure.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
My main complaint is that case 1 should have just ended when the plates were brought. I think the whole swapped plates detour didn’t need to be there — just have the officer and the merchant be funny witnesses who lied at the beginning in the case instead of trying to tie up their character threads

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Case 5 intro: Sholmes has just run out of corphine and/or mocaine. I appreciate how obvious it is, even if no one will ever remotely allude to it.

I've really warmed up to the characters in this game. Sholmes is just a gem, but I also appreciate how Naruhodo manages to feel like his own character despite being the one with the most license to just be a Phoenix clone, and Susato may be my favorite assistant (well, after the one in 3-5, of course).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

G1-4 "That was the first time I've seen an English maid!" but wait juror no 2 yesterday

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

G1-2 I always felt like there's this huge contrast between Herlock's wackiness and this case's unrelentingly grim conclusion. There's just no satisfaction to be had here, only tragedy that no one can fix. Not a bad thing it's just so sad.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015

Regy Rusty posted:

G1-2 I always felt like there's this huge contrast between Herlock's wackiness and this case's unrelentingly grim conclusion. There's just no satisfaction to be had here, only tragedy that no one can fix. Not a bad thing it's just so sad.

I cried so hard when the conclusion is revealed, first time it ever happened in the AA series. :smith:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
g1-2 was really an investigation tutorial like 1-1 was a trial tutorial.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Game 2 Case 2 About to head into the second day of the trial and I think I have the general idea of what happened. Also, I feel real bad about Olive Green. :smith:

Follow up on my previous statement: 😬

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 30, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I know it's set in a different time, but I'm kinda not appreciating (1-4) Ryunosuke making all these fat jokes

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
(2-2)I don’t know if it’s just me, but god this case got me. :smith:

(1-4)Yeah, I agree. They’re not great. Which is a shame because I rather liked the case as a whole.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
After 3 case of first game:
Man, not getting much in terms of actual justice thus far, are we?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I said this way back after playing the fan translation, but this game really takes the series' usual narrative conventions and just kind of rips them to shreds. It's really hard to predict where things are gonna go and they love breaking the usual "rules". So glad I decided to replay the first one since there are all sorts of tiny details I'm catching on a second run, really looking forward to seeing where this all goes in game 2.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I really can't wait until we get the Apollo Trilogy on Switch as well

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
If someone is playing this on PC, I have made a small mod to fix a few issues: https://github.com/AdmiralCurtiss/dgs_hackfix/releases

Primarily the game being hardcoded to 30 fps when it seems to run perfectly fine at arbitrary higher ones.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

kurona_bright posted:

My main complaint is that case 1 should have just ended when the plates were brought. I think the whole swapped plates detour didn’t need to be there — just have the officer and the merchant be funny witnesses who lied at the beginning in the case instead of trying to tie up their character threads

Yeah that wasn't the most well-executed thing ever. Second you see the gold you know the jig. Yet it just keeps on going.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I would have cut it off at the mouth wound reveal

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Man the game does a really good job of showing how dumb a jury can get

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Carlosologist posted:

Man the game does a really good job of showing how dumb a jury can get

the one dude who thinks stereoscopes are the way of the future had me cracking up, especially since he was pretty normal in his previous appearance

ditto for the dignified lady who swaps her typewriter for a morse code broadcaster

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

I would have cut it off at the mouth wound reveal

Yeah that was also very silly. Sometimes I wish the game would actually just spell things out instead of forcing you to go through the motions.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah that was also very silly. Sometimes I wish the game would actually just spell things out instead of forcing you to go through the motions.

I was surprised the game didn't try to make you prove that the blood splatter didn't come from an exit wound. There could easily have been ten minutes dedicated to arguing about it before you point to the post mortem report.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Soon as I saw that on the post-mortem I was expecting it and annoyed when it never happened :mad:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I love how flagrantly un-impartial these juries can get. Case G1-4 One juror has a clear and vocal grudge against the defense, and three others are tangentially related to the crime by virtue of being within walking distance of the incident at the time it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
G1-1 I was wondering how they were going to deal with some of the Japanese names, but Iyesa and Aido Nosa are some inspired genius.