Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN?
This poll is closed.
PAINMAKER VS MDK 63 41.45%
ELIMINATION TAG 82 53.95%
ARCHER VS HIKULEO 2 1.32%
FTR VS PNP 5 3.29%
Total: 152 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Pineapple Pete coming back, losing, them getting his own trials and tribulations thing to get a match with Jericho would be hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

cams posted:

this bump scared the poo poo out of me because nobody caught him at all and you could see his head bounce

thankfully he immediately got up, brawled into the crowd, and did a flip off a balcony. blessings of ibushi upon him.

I actually wonder if the exit into the crowd wasn’t an audible so Stu could go get checked out without risking much more damage and without disrupting the match too much. If I remember right he didn’t flip off the balcony, just went for like a double axe handle

He hit hard. Both Hungee and Uno came to check on him

Scarf fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 29, 2021

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Pineapple Pete coming back, losing, them getting his own trials and tribulations thing to get a match with Jericho would be hilarious

But they're all fairly low stakes with the mot severe one being "win a match against Joey Janella" or something

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

That was a weird Dynamite. The Dark Order / Hangman intro package and their entrance were some of the coolest poo poo I've ever seen, and when Hangman walked out in the Dark Order colours I legit teared up a bit.

The Elite doing their dumb Space Jam poo poo? Also great.

The match was also good, if a bit long, but the ending. It didn't feel like "ooh, those rascally Elites, how will the good guys ever beat them", it felt... deflating. At least on the TV there was no booing or anything, the crowd were just stunned to silence. I'd be a bit worried about that if I were the booker because it sure didn't feel like the crowd stepping their anticipation of the Elite's downfall to a whole other level.

Obviously I think they'll still continue the program and Hangman will get his revenge somehow, but RIGHT NOW this still feels like a huge misstep. Maybe in retrospect it won't be, but right now? With the Dark Order and Hangman coming in so loving hot only to get literally dunked on... I dunno. I guess we'll see where they go from there.

A lot of good stuff elsewhere in the show. Brian Cage murdering the brass band and doing the cartoon bit with the drum and the drummer was awesome, Darby Allin subtext is for cowardsing a match with CM Punk? Also great. Big pops for Thunder Rosa, great heel heat for MJF, the main event had some amazing spots but also felt a bit off as a match. Of course the FTR match was derailed by that horrible injury, but even the IWGP title match felt stuck in first gear until it just ended.

Super weird night.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Forceholy posted:

I get the appeal of MDK, but honestly, he's coming off to me as a white New Jack with a better work rate.
”pfft, he just comes across as *describes something insanely cool*”

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Vandar posted:

I dunno if it showed up on TV (I'd doubt it) but the worst part of the night was easily the assholes on the upper level who had a huge TRUMP 2020 flag.

i absolutely did not see this. Were they to the left of stage or to the right? Maybe they were far behind me.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

The only way I can enjoy this match is if I tell myself the pane of glass and the light tubes were gimmicked and there was no glass at all.

jericho letting a deathmatch guy do a piledriver was far more dangerous than any of the objects, hope this helps

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

blunt posted:

Would very much like to see Team Angle.

That would rule. He's pretty much a mirror of Taz, being a compelling, funny, tough guy with a cache of respect but can never ever take a bump again. Though I am speaking from not having seen anything from him for two decades or so.

jesus WEP posted:

”pfft, he just comes across as *describes something insanely cool*”

I don't think it was dismissive, but using New Jack as a byword for an actual genuine criminal who just assaults people while near a wrestling ring. Which I don't think is fair to Nick Gage.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That was a weird Dynamite. The Dark Order / Hangman intro package and their entrance were some of the coolest poo poo I've ever seen, and when Hangman walked out in the Dark Order colours I legit teared up a bit.

The Elite doing their dumb Space Jam poo poo? Also great.

The match was also good, if a bit long, but the ending. It didn't feel like "ooh, those rascally Elites, how will the good guys ever beat them", it felt... deflating. At least on the TV there was no booing or anything, the crowd were just stunned to silence. I'd be a bit worried about that if I were the booker because it sure didn't feel like the crowd stepping their anticipation of the Elite's downfall to a whole other level.

Obviously I think they'll still continue the program and Hangman will get his revenge somehow, but RIGHT NOW this still feels like a huge misstep. Maybe in retrospect it won't be, but right now? With the Dark Order and Hangman coming in so loving hot only to get literally dunked on... I dunno. I guess we'll see where they go from there.

A lot of good stuff elsewhere in the show. Brian Cage murdering the brass band and doing the cartoon bit with the drum and the drummer was awesome, Darby Allin subtext is for cowardsing a match with CM Punk? Also great. Big pops for Thunder Rosa, great heel heat for MJF, the main event had some amazing spots but also felt a bit off as a match. Of course the FTR match was derailed by that horrible injury, but even the IWGP title match felt stuck in first gear until it just ended.

Super weird night.

For what it's worth, I think "stunned silence" is absolutely what Kenny goes for because the OWA isn't a move that he hits and you boo him for it, it's a move that has this horrible feeling of inevitability because nobody kicks out of it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

little munchkin posted:

jericho letting a deathmatch guy do a piledriver was far more dangerous than any of the objects, hope this helps

The piledriver was the safest move in the match.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

It would be really funny if the fourth labor is just Nick Gage again

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

zimbomonkey posted:

i absolutely did not see this. Were they to the left of stage or to the right? Maybe they were far behind me.

Facing the stage, they were to the right and far up.

Directly opposite from them on the other side of the arena were two people who had a 'LOCALIZE MOTHER 3' and an 'ANIME SUCKS' sign, sitting right next to each other. The duality of man, I suppose.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Dacap posted:

https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1420567402991865858

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

shocked that Stu wasnt severely hurt by none of those guys loving catching him, that is bush league levels of stupidity.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

DeathChicken posted:

He's booked for Wrestlepro in October, presumably he's free then

Ah. Suge D could work, but make it be Suge D being himself and a stip like 'Hands tied behind his back' or whatever. Give Suge some good Dynamite airtime as revenge for the Pineapple Pete mockery and 5 second squash match.

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 29, 2021

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
far to the right you say? what a surprise. kinda glad i didn't see them and i really hope the cameras didn't pick them up on dark or elevation.

and how could you like AEW and hate anime? AEW is anime.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DLC Inc posted:

shocked that Stu wasnt severely hurt by none of those guys loving catching him, that is bush league levels of stupidity.

It's very common for large groups to miss catches.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Stu seemed to land like, three feet beyond the huddle, I'm not sure what they could have done.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Dacap posted:

MJF dropped enough lines about not paying Nick if he didnt win that I have to think Nick is going to go after mjf for his money

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

It did look like Stu overshot, I’m just glad he’s ok because man it looked horrible.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Stu seemed to land like, three feet beyond the huddle, I'm not sure what they could have done.

Yeah it's not a case where a guy just falls through the middle of the pile.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
It looked like Nick was basically running to try and get between Stu and the floor. I think Stu just overshot his cool as gently caress move.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

HBK all fuckin day

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The first match with the chair stipulation should have been La Parka

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

fawning deference posted:

The first match with the chair stipulation should have been Balls Mahoney rip

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's been said before but man, it sucks they can't get KO for one of these labor of jericho gimmicks.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Jericho vs Ryback in a Mukbang Match

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

I don’t like anime. I do not care for it.

NULL_SIGNAL
Feb 19, 2013

my dream choice for Labor #4 in the universe without COVID would be a returning Jeff Cobb.

"Turns out your check bounced as soon as he landed in Japan. Did you really think you would get away with that, Chris?"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fawning deference posted:

The first match with the chair stipulation should have been La Parka

He's under contract to MLW.

That can be worked around, but good luck getting him to fly in and job!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
mjf should talk about how the judas effect loving sucks and that he knows someone who throws elbow strikes better and maybe chris hero will come out of retirement

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
La Park should have sued Shawn Spears for gimmick infringement

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
The fifth labor of Jericho will be him having to go into actual labor with a child like in that Arnold Schwarzenegger movie Junior.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

KungFu Grip posted:

mjf should talk about how the judas effect loving sucks and that he knows someone who throws elbow strikes better and maybe chris hero will come out of retirement

This would actually be a good get!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
MJF: "For years Chris you claimed to anybody who would listen that you were the best in the world at what you do. Well I know of at least one person from your past who would take issue with that statement!"

Here comes the moneeeeeyyy

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Nick Jr. Face posted:

MJF: "For years Chris you claimed to anybody who would listen that you were the best in the world at what you do. Well I know of at least one person from your past who would take issue with that statement!"

Here comes the moneeeeeyyy

As little interest I have in seeing Shane in AEW, it'd almost be worth it for the subsequent meltdowns

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Stroker Ace posted:

I don’t like anime. I do not care for it.

I’ve got bad news about pro wrestling for you, friend

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
What's former WCW midcarder Jean-Paul Lévesque doing in the Rampage Zone?

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Only kinda following the Jericho stuff.

But the logical progression here is not great.

Shawn Spears:

- Can hit Jericho with chairs, but Jericho will get DQd for doing the same.
- Is part of the Pinnacle
- Determined to stop Jericho via pin, or injury.
- Chip on his shoulder for the "Good hand" bit; so knocking off Jericho suits his character.

Good first boss. 99% sure Jericho is going to win, but they could tell a story of intent to injure.

Nick Gage

- Nick Gage needs no excuse for violence. The cheque presumably cashed.

Good 2nd boss. There's lots of deathmatch guys who give off a vibe of "He might just kill you"; but Gage is not a bad choice. Fans loved it. 95% chance Jericho wins, but you know... There's also a non zero chance he dies. Storyline wise, it make sense. Spears targets the elbow, Gage targets the everything.

Juventud Guerrera: Was a top 3 flier in the world... 22 years ago. Now at age 46, he's kind of a punchline of wasted potential. Legit chance he no-shows or starts a fight backstage. Never really advanced beyond the Cruiserweight/Tag scene in his prime, his major beef with Jericho would have stemmed from almost a quarter century ago, and he was absolutely obliterated by the Rock, who pronounced him as a complete after-thought in perpetuity, as he became SOME JABRONI NAMED JUVENTUD?!?

I'm so confused why anyone would knowingly pick him, even in kayfabe.

I guess Jericho has to fall on him, to win? That might make it hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

NutShellBill posted:

Juventud Guerrera: Was a top 3 flier in the world... 22 years ago. Now at age 46, he's kind of a punchline of wasted potential. Legit chance he no-shows or starts a fight backstage. Never really advanced beyond the Cruiserweight/Tag scene in his prime, his major beef with Jericho would have stemmed from almost a quarter century ago, and he was absolutely obliterated by the Rock, who pronounced him as a complete after-thought in perpetuity, as he became SOME JABRONI NAMED JUVENTUD?!?

I'm so confused why anyone would knowingly pick him, even in kayfabe.

I guess Jericho has to fall on him, to win? That might make it hard?

MJF didn't even know who Juventud was before Jericho mentioned him so he probably would not know anything about The Rock or his overall career. Jericho has to WIN with a top rope move which means no Liontamer (unless he's gonna do it on the top rope), no Judas Effect, no Lionsault.