Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I don’t think I hit that point w Achilles until run 250 if that makes you feel any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaiaShell
Mar 11, 2002

Wildtortilla posted:

So I checked my situation in regards to no hidden weapons. I have 61 escape attempts. I very recently did a thing that allows Achillies to visit Elysium. And I don’t have the hidden spear.

Unlucky, I guess? I just kept talking to everyone after every death or clear and Achilles randomly gave me the words to reveal the hidden aspect.

If it matters (probably not) I noticed he gave me the words after I died in Elysium while using the spear, and I had used it the previous attempt in a successful escape.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
It took me forever to get the hidden spear aspect, too (although not that long). Achilles just has a really deep pool of conversations to trigger and sometimes he just won't shut up about things what aren't spears for long enough to talk about things what are spears.

e: Did you invest 5 blood in one of your weapons already? I think that's a precondition for all the hidden aspects.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok so I’ve completed the main narrative and now I’m kind of wondering: Should I push high heat or should I just max out on Titan’s Blood or is there another goal I should set? I’m averaging Heat 6-8 on all my weapons ATM but I wanna get good and really push high power builds.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Most powerful builds depend more on specific combinations of boons and not so much on upgrading weapons, so spend the blood on whatever you like and push heat higher when you feel like a bigger challenge or you run out of blood drops. I mostly went one at a time and beat each heat level fully before continuing up until maybe heat 10 or so, then pushed all the way up to 32 to get the nice statue.

edit: If you want tips on which heats to go for first, the first few time limit levels are virtually free.

edit2: You should probably try to unlock all the hidden weapon aspects, some of them are really fun. Not the spear though. The hidden spear aspect sucks.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 29, 2021

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah if you've got achilles blabbering about his relationship those dialogues are always going to take precedent over the hidden spear which might be the lowest priority one he's even got

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It took me forever to get the hidden spear aspect, too (although not that long). Achilles just has a really deep pool of conversations to trigger and sometimes he just won't shut up about things what aren't spears for long enough to talk about things what are spears.

e: Did you invest 5 blood in one of your weapons already? I think that's a precondition for all the hidden aspects.

Ya I have at least one aspect for each weapon at max.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

indigi posted:

I almost never use my cast unless it gets a good rear end boon, is that a mistake?

Yes. Using your cast for the damage boost to normal attacks is a big deal for bosses & mini-bosses, even if you have the generic cast with no boon.

If you have the alternate mirror switches unlocked, switch your cast type from the Infernal Soul +ammo version to the Stygian Soul regenerates every 5 seconds version. That's a great way to get more active on using the cast.

I found that the really bad habit I had about casting was being choosy about which enemies to use it on. The extra steps of being out of ammo -> needing to retrieve the stones -> can cast again just made me either overthink it, or try to "save" ammo for harder waves (then forget to use it). Switching to the auto regen for a while made me way more proactive about it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the targeting with the gun just hosed me out of my first clear. Once the green vases showed up it refused to aim at Hades and kept trying to make me shoot the vases. absolutely worthless. I went through three DDs trying to finish him off and the loving gun wouldn’t shoot him

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

You can turn off autoaim in the settings if I recall correctly.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ariong posted:

You can turn off autoaim in the settings if I recall correctly.

hmm. a dangerous decision, because I suck at video games and cannot aim properly without assistance….. what to do….

50 runs without a clear, I am butt. to be fair I died on purpose a few times when I first started cause I didn’t like the first few rewards I got lol.

is the skill where you reroll a chamber’s rewards worth investing in early or should I wait on that

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I think the pricing should be your guide on what to buy, there's nothing so great on the mirror that you need to beeline for it. Fill in the cheapest things first.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Agreed. Generally, the more affordable stuff will be useful earlier in your progression, but they're all useful.

Don't anyone feel bad about not kicking rear end at this game. I got the special dialog from Hypnos congratulating me on my 100th death after only 104 escape attempts. Remember, every attempt, successful or not, ends with the same animation. Have fun on the way.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Can you progress through heat faster than one at a time? If I have cleared heat 6 can I set my next run to heat 10 and get rewards for the heats I skip?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

indigi posted:

hmm. a dangerous decision, because I suck at video games and cannot aim properly without assistance….. what to do….

50 runs without a clear, I am butt. to be fair I died on purpose a few times when I first started cause I didn’t like the first few rewards I got lol.

for real don't be ashamed to turn on god mode if it's frustrating, I did.

The effect of it at first is you get a lot more time to study & practice the boss attack patterns. The whole genre of boss pattern learning isn't my thing so getting 1/3rd more "demonstrations" was totally what I needed. Then you can turn it off again to reset it, if you feel like it's becoming a crutch.

(or if you're on PC, someone made a save editor that exposes the DR. so what I did is use that to subtract 5% off the DR any time I got 2 clears in a row.)

Wildtortilla posted:

Can you progress through heat faster than one at a time? If I have cleared heat 6 can I set my next run to heat 10 and get rewards for the heats I skip?

no, you don't get any rewards for the heat levels you skip

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

The way it works is if you set it to 10, the next clear will give you the heat 7 rewards. If you keep it at 10 (or higher) then your next clear will give you the heat 8 rewards and this will repeat until you catch up to your current heat. You can't lose heat rewards by setting higher heat, but you can also only get one heat levels worth of rewards at a time.
The only way to "lose" rewards is the zero heat rewards, and you can still collect those if you turn off the heat for a run.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Metal Meltdown posted:

The way it works is if you set it to 10, the next clear will give you the heat 7 rewards. If you keep it at 10 (or higher) then your next clear will give you the heat 8 rewards and this will repeat until you catch up to your current heat. You can't lose heat rewards by setting higher heat, but you can also only get one heat levels worth of rewards at a time.
The only way to "lose" rewards is the zero heat rewards, and you can still collect those if you turn off the heat for a run.

An important detail here is that the rewards will act as if you had set your heat to the highest non-completed yet, which means that e.g. if you set it to 10 and only beat Tartarus and Asphodel, the next run will not give you rewards for those areas because you already beat them (on heat 7, virtually speaking). It's only once you full-clear that you move on to the next set of rewards.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
How does the railgun’s aspect of Hestia work with the Delta Chamber hammer (attack becomes 3 round burst with no reload)? Hestia’s power comes from reloading... normally I’d check this out but I have a load of boons that are really fun and I’d rather not sabotage this run.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Wildtortilla posted:

How does the railgun’s aspect of Hestia work with the Delta Chamber hammer (attack becomes 3 round burst with no reload)? Hestia’s power comes from reloading... normally I’d check this out but I have a load of boons that are really fun and I’d rather not sabotage this run.

I think that you can still reload. You no longer need to, but if you manually reload it'll activate.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Iirc while you don't have to reload any more, you can still press the button to get the Hestia bonus

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

You can still manually reload with that hammer upgrade. You don't get Hestia triggers automatically or anything like that.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Cool thanks for the help! I ended up picking the hammer that turns my special into a rocket.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

drat I finally got to Styx with all my DDs. I beat Theseus and Asterius only losing 30 health cause of the acorn and dash damage replenish, first time I didn’t die to them. I have a heroic Doom boon + hammer augment that does 330 damage per hit, it’s doing most of the work for me

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Nice! It’s a good feeling when you start picking up that momentum and builds start coming together.

Ares doesn’t get a lot of love here but I love massive doom stacks because in Elysium I can basically pop the little eyeballs and forget about them instead of having to chase every one down until I know it’s dead.

Unrelated: I finished every prophecy last night. Felt good getting the last legendaries I’d been waiting for. And there are still little side stories happening. Crazy amount of content in this game.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ares is like my favorite one for Doom, I’ve taken to starting runs with the.l blood vial just so I get him early. what are the general favorite gods/boons? when will my autocorrect stop trying to change boons to boobs?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I tend to think in God/Weapon pairings but overall my favorite is Demeter.

Your autocorrect will change when you type boon more than boob. So never.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Playing this game without Athena’s dash reflect is like playing very hard mode.

I was struggling in this run (fought and beat Charon for the first time in the first zone) so I put on Athena’s charm and picked up dash reflect. Now it’s been smooth sailing and I just creamed the bull and his obnoxious buddy.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Athena feels mandatory until you hit a certain level of game sense and then you just start making it to Lernie with no damage every run.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

SUCK MY DICK HADES YOU PALLID gently caress HAHA

GaiaShell
Mar 11, 2002

indigi posted:

SUCK MY DICK HADES YOU PALLID gently caress HAHA

Congrats! Now have fun doing that at least 9 more times lol (<- sort-of a spoiler, but doesn't spoil any plot points fyi)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Sword: aspect of nemesis: crits on special -> attack. I'm not getting any crits. Am I the only one? Google says no one else had this problem.

Oh my god you have to select them individually and can only have one active

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Mescal posted:

Oh my god you have to select them individually and can only have one active

Aspects are alternate versions of the weapons, yes, not cumulative upgrades.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
After hating on the sword for a long time I realized I never tried other aspects aside from the default one. So I maxed Nemesis last night and dunked on the game. I got the hammer that gives the third sword attack a high crit chance. I was just crapping out huge, triple digit numbers with my attack and chunked everything in my way.

Turns out it’s the starter sword aspect is the part of the sword that I didn’t like.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

If you like that, just wait until you get the hidden sword aspect.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think Fists is my favorite weapon, but it’s like picking a favorite kid. Even the weapons I don’t like at base all have at least one aspect that makes them fun. I can’t remember the last time I did a spear run.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

indigi posted:

Ares is like my favorite one for Doom, I’ve taken to starting runs with the.l blood vial just so I get him early. what are the general favorite gods/boons? when will my autocorrect stop trying to change boons to boobs?

Ares was my favourite when I started because Doom seemed super strong, but I learned to appreciate pretty much all of them.

Poseidon is probably my favourite because Tidal Dash is ridiculously good, and then all his other boons just make it even better

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If I could have one wish on a magic pony for this game, it would an optional high heat boss rush with Chaos as the secret super boss “lol so random” surprise at the end.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Paperhouse posted:

Ares was my favourite when I started because Doom seemed super strong, but I learned to appreciate pretty much all of them.

Poseidon is probably my favourite because Tidal Dash is ridiculously good, and then all his other boons just make it even better

Poseidon just makes Styx melt and it's never not funny to me

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Chaotic Flame posted:

Poseidon just makes Styx melt and it's never not funny to me

yeah the first time that happened to me I loled big time, just press x twice to win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

If you like that, just wait until you get the hidden sword aspect.

God, I love the hidden sword. It feels so beefy to use, Supergiant really aced the timing and the feedback on it.