Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

On another note: gently caress TESSITURA

I spent two ten+ hour days troubleshooting the installation of new EMV readers at a client, including on a call with a tessitura/tripos “escalation engineer” and could not get the loving things to work. I finally found the actual manufacturers instructions for the drivers installations and COM configurations and, surprise surprise, they are literally the OPPOSITE of what tessitura’s vendor instructions tell you to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jeoh posted:

i don't remember what the APC one was, but i do remember that you're gonna have a bad time if you use a normal pinout

Cyclades did their own pinouts too for serial poo poo. 10 years ago I had an entire case full of adapters to get connected to all the random dumb poo poo we had in the data center. Every time we got a new brand of hardware I'd sit down with a DB9 adapter and the product manual to figure out the wiring so I could plug it into my laptop's serial port with an ethernet cable and it'd work.

That happens a lot less now, we've moved en-masse to IPMI but there's still some of those dusty bastards hiding in racks waiting to ambush me.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

MrMoo posted:

Is there a name for the different RJ45 based RS232 protocol pinouts? I've found 3 or so popular ones,

1) Cisco console , 6 = TX, 3 = RX

2) Vanilla RJ-45 to DB-9 Serial Cable, 4 = TX, 5 = RX.

3) Some weird printer thing, 1 = TX, 2 = RX

4) Touch input things, 1 = TX, 3 = RX

The Cisco one is called a "Rollover cable"

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I got Win 10 Always-on VPN working and it’s slick but holy poo poo I don’t know what’s going on with the search domain.

We’re doing split tunneling and we have our DNS servers specified as those in the VPN profile, as well as our internal domain name, but I can’t for the life of me get ‘short name’ resolution to work. It’s like it’s ignoring the domain suffix completely.

server.domain.int resolves fine.
server does not.

I can do nslookups on both while specifying our dns server and they both resolve fine. I’ve been banging my head against this for two days know, scouring the depths of lovely blog comments and old forum posts for any clue.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You’re not running something like Cisco Umbrella are you?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I got Win 10 Always-on VPN working and it’s slick but holy poo poo I don’t know what’s going on with the search domain.

We’re doing split tunneling and we have our DNS servers specified as those in the VPN profile, as well as our internal domain name, but I can’t for the life of me get ‘short name’ resolution to work. It’s like it’s ignoring the domain suffix completely.

server.domain.int resolves fine.
server does not.

I can do nslookups on both while specifying our dns server and they both resolve fine. I’ve been banging my head against this for two days know, scouring the depths of lovely blog comments and old forum posts for any clue.

Is it trying to do a NETBIOS lookup on the short name, but a DNS lookup on the full FQDN? I don't know what type of tunnel a Win10 Always-On VPN is but if it's trying to do a NETBIOS lookup, then that request probably wouldn't go past the L2 broadcast domain.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

Is it trying to do a NETBIOS lookup on the short name, but a DNS lookup on the full FQDN? I don't know what type of tunnel a Win10 Always-On VPN is but if it's trying to do a NETBIOS lookup, then that request probably wouldn't go past the L2 broadcast domain.

IKEv2. I’ll have to look into this.

And we actually are running umbrella, the DNS servers in this are the virtual appliance IP addresses. I am not running the roaming client.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeoh posted:

i don't remember what the APC one was, but i do remember that you're gonna have a bad time if you use a normal pinout

https://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA156800/

I hate them so much for pulling that poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hate APC because they will flood the network with DHCP requests, even if they're configured with a static address. My server logs are almost useless because of it and it forced me to turn down logging verbosity.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

xzzy posted:

I hate APC because they will flood the network with DHCP requests, even if they're configured with a static address. My server logs are almost useless because of it and it forced me to turn down logging verbosity.

The network cards that attach to the UPS? drat I was going to pick some up

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

The network cards that attach to the UPS? drat I was going to pick some up

Still might be worth it because remote power control is drat nice. But yeah, those tiny little boxes with a network port that wire into the PDU's.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Holy poo poo, people. Start the virtual meetings on time, especially when there are 25+ people. Stop with the "We're going to wait a few more minutes to give people time to get here."

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Wow. Just. Wow.

I just had a meeting with my manager that went something like this:

“Hey X, thank you for the 15% raise. It really shows that, though you couldn’t get my promo pushed through due to some kinda serious gate-keeping bullshit you do value my work. However, for the last nine months I haven’t had a reason to get out of bed in the morning.

After seven years in this role I’ve done all the things, made all the diving catches, had all the crazy conversations with customers, mentored all the people. I love this job and I love this role but I need something to work on that sparks my interest and has me doing something other than keeping the lights on.

I know from my thirty years in IT that I need A, B, C, X, Y, and Z from my manager and from my job. If I have those things I will gleefully charge through brick walls with my hair on fire for you. Please help arrange those things for me so I can continue to mentor all the others in my role so we can continue to be the high performing team that makes you look good and got you your promotion just now.”

My manager says, “Thanks for letting me know. Have you thought about moving to a different role?”

No poo poo, Fuckface. You missed the loving point entirely.

I just delivered a nice, soft pitch right down the middle for you. I delivered my requirements to you on a silver platter. I wasn’t asking for a raise or anything, but was simply asking for an excuse to stay. I gave you a golden opportunity to Be A Good Manager and you flubbed it.

So that’s that, I guess. Time to do some navel-gazing to see what’s next.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

drat man, that stinks. I know you were trying for a new role and it's lovely that did not happen. Are you going to look external then?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I’m not ruling anything out.

At the moment I can’t see any real interesting opportunities within my org so I’ll be sending resumes out. The good part is that if I do nothing I’m still in a great place, but I’m still bored.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

So I dug into this more and was able to get nslookup to play nice if I set the interface metric of the VPN to 1. PING responses as well, all going to the correct DNS servers.

UNC paths, the real problem, are still not working. FQDN paths to a file share work fine, short names do not. I ran a packet cap and (based on my understanding) was able to see \\fileserver\share having a DNS lookup for fileserver.domain.int run on it (correctly using the dns suffix) however it was classified as an Internet address so it failed. Is there some other place to specify resolution for UNC paths like this? I’m so close to getting this poo poo resolved.

As a Hail Mary I sent an email to Richard Hicks who is the go-to guy for Always-on VPN so maybe he’s seen something like this before.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

So I dug into this more and was able to get nslookup to play nice if I set the interface metric of the VPN to 1. PING responses as well, all going to the correct DNS servers.

UNC paths, the real problem, are still not working. FQDN paths to a file share work fine, short names do not. I ran a packet cap and (based on my understanding) was able to see \\fileserver\share having a DNS lookup for fileserver.domain.int run on it (correctly using the dns suffix) however it was classified as an Internet address so it failed. Is there some other place to specify resolution for UNC paths like this? I’m so close to getting this poo poo resolved.

As a Hail Mary I sent an email to Richard Hicks who is the go-to guy for Always-on VPN so maybe he’s seen something like this before.

Hi yes AOVPN. I like this. We're doing it now.

So we've had a few funny issues with this, however something I found is that when we wanted to mess with the Metric of the AOVPN adapter(s), that setting the MTU on it with netsh or the like was not consistent.
In the rasphone.pbk file in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk there is an option for each adapter called "IpInterfaceMetric" (or Ipv6InterfaceMetric if you use IPv6). By default that is set to 0 which means the system picks a random metric and goes from there.

We mainly found that some users AOVPN adapters were having a higher metric that the other interfaces when it was set to automatic, so when hitting sites with split DNS they were getting the public addresses and not the internal. But in testing this we found that setting the metric via netsh caused random issues like the one you are describing where a device would seemingly be unable to contact an internal resource with a shortname, or even with its FQDN. Bringing the tunnel down, making the metric change in the file and bringing it back up via rasphone.exe sorted that out.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I feel like we've moved on from nothing but meetings all day to nothing can get done unless we're doing it together in a meeting. Form requirements? Coordinate and do things in parallel? Nope. Don't need to manage if you just get everyone you need on a call and only move forward the project on those calls. "We should work on this again! In 2 weeks when everyone is available." "Let's open a ticket with the vendor and get the VAR, the software vendor, the hardware vendor, and everyone else on the call without doing an ounce of troubleshooting beforehand."

loving exhausting. Good way to go from being the only one doing work to being the only one doing work, but while everyone watches.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I hear you. It doesn't need five people on a call when your question has two parts to it, just start with an email or an IM. If we need to get people together then let's get people together.

I think trying to fill days with meetings is just a way that managers get to feel like they're making sure people are working or something.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

getting my boss in the same space as me is the only way I can make them pay attention to what I'm asking for. I get most of my work done in the 2h each week after a meeting with them

once I've stopped crying

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

getting my boss in the same space as me is the only way I can make them pay attention to what I'm asking for. I get most of my work done in the 2h each week after a meeting with them

once I've stopped crying

Sounds like you could substantially increase your productivity by crying less.

Have you tried not drinking anything the day off those meetings, so you'll lack the water for tears?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Sounds like you could substantially increase your productivity by crying less.

Have you tried not drinking anything the day off those meetings, so you'll lack the water for tears?

Bathroom breaks reduce productivity. Luckily, management has issues mandatory catheters and colostomy bags to increase productivity! Management is exempt from such policies.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

So much depends on management in a larger org, that I totally feel when they’re trying not to manage people and have other work to do.

I love my manager, she’s responsive and does listen, but at the same time I think we’ve built our own problems.

My team tends to be pretty autonomous. I lead a team meeting weekly to discuss things that need consensus, describe what we’re working on, and keep each other aware of what’s happening. We’ll bring back things that need address or management awareness, and usually don’t gently caress that one up so they leave us be.

As a result at present I feel like the dog who’s run out into the field chasing a butterfly, and suddenly realizes they don’t know where they are. I empathize with the earlier poster who wants their role to shift to keep their career moving. I’ve a whiteboard full of things that need management input to steer service direction and planning, with no responses after a year+ on some of them.

Been learning new stuff and working on my resume, looking at some jobs out there to see what’s going to be the kind of challenge I want. Disappointing but also I let this happen myself, getting in a rut here. Didn’t happen overnight.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

once I've stopped crying

The magical thing about being bad at multitasking is that one doesn't know how bad they're loving everything up. I've had bosses where I felt like I needed the Van Halen M&M trick to make sure I wasn't getting hosed by the boss misreading stuff and giving me bad instructions.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lol the one loving time I type commit instead of commit-confirm :suicide:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I hear they’re working on an AI , so if you yell “gently caress!” or “poo poo!” loud enough it rolls back

:v: poo poo! Marvis! I hosed it up again!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Partycat posted:

I hear they’re working on an AI , so if you yell “gently caress!” or “poo poo!” loud enough it rolls back

:v: poo poo! Marvis! I hosed it up again!

This works shockingly well on phone trees where they refuse to connect you to person without going 17 levels deep.

"Say something like Billing or Statement"

"gently caress, gently caress you, gently caress your stupid lovely phone system and gently caress Comcast in particular"

"I'm sorry to hear that, I'll connect you to someone who can help right away"

Narrator: They couldn't help either.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

This works shockingly well on phone trees where they refuse to connect you to person without going 17 levels deep.

"Say something like Billing or Statement"

"gently caress, gently caress you, gently caress your stupid lovely phone system and gently caress Comcast in particular"

"I'm sorry to hear that, I'll connect you to someone who can help right away"

Narrator: They couldn't help either.

We've detected abusive language. This call will now disconnect.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Biowarfare posted:

We've detected abusive language. This call will now disconnect.

I have yet to have any robot use that particular trick to get me off the phone. If you swear at the poor phone jockey, they'll drop your rear end in a heartbeat, but until you have a human on the other end, offer up a litany of profanity in the hopes that human will show up and help you.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.
poo poo not pissing me off:

Boss fought for and scored me a promotion with a 10% raise. And I finally get to put "Engineer" on my resume. Good way to end a week.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raerlynn posted:

poo poo not pissing me off:

Boss fought for and scored me a promotion with a 10% raise. And I finally get to put "Engineer" on my resume. Good way to end a week.

Congrats!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I have yet to have any robot use that particular trick to get me off the phone. If you swear at the poor phone jockey, they'll drop your rear end in a heartbeat, but until you have a human on the other end, offer up a litany of profanity in the hopes that human will show up and help you.

I've seen mashing zero/star/any number to automatically disconnect you these days

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Always press the number for sales.

It has the shortest distance between "mashing buttons" and "reaching a human". Then you say sorry, I must have pressed the wrong button but since you're here could you help me _______?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Weatherman posted:

It has the shortest distance between "mashing buttons" and "reaching a human". Then you say sorry, I must have pressed the wrong button but since you're here could you help me _______?

Sorry, the system won't allow that. You will now be placed at the back of the queue.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Lynxifer posted:

Hi yes AOVPN. I like this. We're doing it now.

So we've had a few funny issues with this, however something I found is that when we wanted to mess with the Metric of the AOVPN adapter(s), that setting the MTU on it with netsh or the like was not consistent.
In the rasphone.pbk file in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk there is an option for each adapter called "IpInterfaceMetric" (or Ipv6InterfaceMetric if you use IPv6). By default that is set to 0 which means the system picks a random metric and goes from there.

We mainly found that some users AOVPN adapters were having a higher metric that the other interfaces when it was set to automatic, so when hitting sites with split DNS they were getting the public addresses and not the internal. But in testing this we found that setting the metric via netsh caused random issues like the one you are describing where a device would seemingly be unable to contact an internal resource with a shortname, or even with its FQDN. Bringing the tunnel down, making the metric change in the file and bringing it back up via rasphone.exe sorted that out.

Update on this, after a few back-and-forth emails with Richard Hicks (https://directaccess.richardhicks.com/) he pointed me to the "UseRasCredentials=0" value in "C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk"

Setting that to 0 suddenly made all of my domain sysvol share and shortname resolution issues go away. I guess by default it tried to use the creds associated with the VPN, which in this case there are no creds aside from the user cert (which was not generated by a domain CA).

Either way, I'm pumped to give this a real spin on Monday.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Weatherman posted:

Literally everywhere I've ever worked doing this gets you little more than a mildly disgruntled sales person and a cold transfer to exactly the same queue you would have been in had you pressed the number for the department you wanted. Sales people generally don't have access to do stuff that isn't sales and are actively incentivised to spend as little time not selling as possible.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

Literally everywhere I've ever worked doing this gets you little more than a mildly disgruntled sales person and a cold transfer to exactly the same queue you would have been in had you pressed the number for the department you wanted. Sales people generally don't have access to do stuff that isn't sales and are actively incentivised to spend as little time not selling as possible.

I legitimately hit a wrong button in the phone menu and got a sales guy. He just gave the me the number I called in on and then hung up. He was polite about it, but he made it obvious he had zero time to spend on any part of me and my issues (the primary one, in his mind, being that I connected to his phone in the first place).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Proteus Jones posted:

I legitimately hit a wrong button in the phone menu and got a sales guy. He just gave the me the number I called in on and then hung up. He was polite about it, but he made it obvious he had zero time to spend on any part of me and my issues (the primary one, in his mind, being that I connected to his phone in the first place).

Yup. If you've got a sales department then those sales people have a quota and every second they spend talking to you is a second they're not earning a bonus.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

How can a twenty word email contain so much horror?

Father-In-Law posted:

Hi Agrikk,
[mother-in-law] is having troubles getting into her Microsoft. She has no problem with getting into gmail in the Ethernet.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

The secret to dealing with any vendor when you can’t seem to get a support person you need is to find out who your sales rep is, call them about *new and exciting thing* they offer, let them talk until sink-cost kicks in and then say “yeah I need to get this in our environment but my boss won’t give use anything new until (original issue) gets addressed, can you help me out with this?”

This has worked for me 100% of the time