Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

boquiabierta posted:

Ughhhh how are people dealing with large events where there may be unvaccinated people along with children? We've been planning to go to my brother-in-law's wedding in October, but for some reason didn't think to check their Covid protocols until just now. Turns out they don't have any. Well, they "expect unvaccinated (and vaccinated) people to abide by US guidelines" but they're not making that explicit in any way. Their wedding website has absolutely nothing about Covid, they're not asking for vaccination status or proof of vax or tests, and they're not asking unvaxxed people to mask. It's going to be 150 people, jfc, and my brother-in-law thinks maybe there are some people on his in-laws' side who "lean right" and might not be vaccinated. But they won't ask them or do anything to try to make it safer for the 10-15 kids they're expecting, including our 18-month-old.

loving gently caress, this sucks so much. We feel confident that everyone on my brother-in-law's side (my in-laws) will be vaccinated because they are all basically reasonable people but I don't want my kiddo around anyone who might be unvaxxed. This delta variant is scary and every time someone says "kids don't get sick" I want to throw things.

I guess we have to decide to keep our baby home and/or not go ourselves, which SUCKS. We've been looking forward to this for ages, haven't seen our families in almost two years and almost no one has met our baby. (We live in Spain and haven't been back to the US since before covid.)

cross posting

A vaxxed CSPAM goon and his fiancé both have covid right now because they went to an outdoors wedding recently. At the last count almost 10% of the attendees later popped positive (including the bride and groom) but it's probably higher because he's getting all that info secondhand. He's fairly certain they caught it on the shuttle bus that took all the guests to the venue and it never even occurred to him that crowding a bunch of strangers onto a minibus wasn't exactly "covid safe" until the other CPSAM goons pointed it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I keep seeing these “but the FDA hasn’t :bahgawd: fully approved these vaccines” talking points, but from what I read about the FDA it’s a pretty toothless organization, they let tons of unsafe stuff go through (makeup and beauty, gym supps), you can make your own vitamin brand with dust if you feel like it, they allowed carcinogens in cleaning products for decades, etc not evil, but they just don’t have the budget and power to test all the stuff.

And yet “Imma need FULL FDA APPROVAL pardner!!!”, how do you reconcile this with “but the got dang gubmint is mandating these vaccines right now because of the #PLAAAANDEMIC” in the same brain? Just wondering

I mean they’re just part of the same government

I think antivaxxers are just pulling excuses out of their asses to avoid vaccines because they’re afraid and ignorant, and I feel bad for them, and I don’t know what should be done to help, or even if they deserve help at this point. I mean they do need to get on board, because we always need to work together against diseases.

Oh, and their ego, they want to feel better than everyone else (I’VE UNCOVERED THIS CONSPIRACY, through Facebook)

I’m no better btw, I’m trying to… like, follow whatever the group of experts and doctors Etc seem to agree on, which right now is: “yeah get vaccine, and sorry we need more time to check kids won’t go stupid after getting vaccinated, sry “

Yea I trust a doctor with a PhD and a Twitter check mark more than people who do their research on Facebook

I check the forums for COVID info because there’s some good goons posting really useful things (trying to avoid doomerism lately, just for mental sanity), but right now I’d vote antivaxxers out, since all signs currently point to “vaccines = good”. If vaccines give us some deadly disease in 10 years, well you can come back and brag about how you randomly stumbled into being correct, but so far you sound like the people in the 90’s who said cellphones will give you brain cancer in weeks, or that WiFi messes with your dna, you get aids from toilet seats

The FDA doesn't approve vitamins or makeup or gym supplements.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A vaxxed CSPAM goon and his fiancé both have covid right now because they went to an outdoors wedding recently. At the last count almost 10% of the attendees later popped positive (including the bride and groom) but it's probably higher because he's getting all that info secondhand. He's fairly certain they caught it on the shuttle bus that took all the guests to the venue and it never even occurred to him that crowding a bunch of strangers onto a minibus wasn't exactly "covid safe" until the other CPSAM goons pointed it out.

He's not Canadian by any chance is he? In BC over the weekend, we had like 230 cases of which 60 were all from one wedding.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My brother has his immune system suppressed due to taking medication to treat another thing he is dealing with and has an almost 2 year old that also can't get the vaccine yet obviously. And yet mom refuses to get the vaccine for herself or grandma. Though grandma is quite independant so she may have just gone and done it herself and not said anything.

But they're in Florida so I don't have high hopes they continue to make it out of this unscathed.

In an attempt to get them to reconsider I let her know I wont be flying home for any funerals. Will see if that has some effect. drat shame they are wasting all those vaccines there since we can't get any of the drat things here in Korea. Hoping to see them in maybe October at this rate. Moderna delayed shipment again.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Some really interesting stuff here for people who really really like numbers, charts and accurate verifiable sources.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...t_-_week_30.pdf

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

learnincurve posted:

Some really interesting stuff here for people who really really like numbers, charts and accurate verifiable sources.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...t_-_week_30.pdf

What the hell, why are the numbers so different?

On worldindata, the UK is listed with 68,5% dose 1 and 55% dose 2 on 25 July 2021

This document states 63% first dose and 50% dose 2 on 25 July 2021

Who is wrong here?

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Haramstufe Rot posted:

What the hell, why are the numbers so different?

On worldindata, the UK is listed with 68,5% dose 1 and 55% dose 2 on 25 July 2021

This document states 63% first dose and 50% dose 2 on 25 July 2021

Who is wrong here?

probably a denominator thing? one might be dividing by total population, the other by adults, or by eligible population?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Reminds me of an "outdoor" wedding I attended where the groom had told me they were gonna have everything as safe as possible. Actual ceremony part was fine. Outdoor, well spaced chairs and rows. However, the reception was just a normal reception hall with a double door propped open and chairs packed in so tight at tables I couldn't imagine even eating comfortably, let alone feeling even remotely safe during a pandemic. I noped right out when I saw that. Said congrats to the groom and left.

I was super upset at the whole thing, but then while I was driving home I heard that Trump had to the flown to the hospital with covid and it warmed my cold little heart.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Rolo posted:

My symptoms are gone and I’m a couple days away from being able to go for a walk outside.

I want to thank everyone here that talked with me while I was sick. It came on fast, scared me and beat the poo poo out of me. Being able to post and to have an army of goons descend with their support was a godsend and I won’t forget it.

Thank you all for having empathy, thank you for letting me fever post, thank you for the kind words.
Glad you're feeling better goon. It's nice to follow some of these cases and get a sense for what people are going through.

Rolo posted:

gently caress the police
Hell yeah. There are some hot uniformed rear end here, and the vaccinated singles market is only gettin' bigger.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

LanceHunter posted:

Was there ever any good research on the effects of all the filtration systems that started to get installed in climate control systems over the last year? Given the intense amount of air conditioning that is needed for a school in Arizona to operate in August, I feel like you'd need some very intense filtration to not spread even a single contagious person's air over the whole building.

I keep checking the CDC's MMWR to see if/when they say anything about delta, but it never does - they've basically memory holed any kind of previous efforts to track and limit variants. But they still have to publish something!

They did have a study looking at the effects of hepa air filters in a 4 person meeting!

I wish they included a picture of the setup, as the breating simulators include elastometric faces fitted with .. 3 ply cotton masks.

65% no masks, air purifier
72% masks, no air purifier
90% masks, air purifier

No evaluation of likelihood of infection; just the relative reduction of appropriate sized test particulate:

This is a 20x30x10 room with six of these, with two (handily) on either side of the infected.

A 3/2 ratio of floor standing hepa filters to people present.

I mean, it's better than nothing but as far as a retrofit for improving safety inside a classroom it seems absolutely infeasible.

Its so loving stupid.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 29, 2021

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/JeffBernthal/status/1420212085418598404?s=20

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
The opposition would not vote yes unless no pants was included on that bill.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Hrm... I wonder if Missouri is doing better or worse than the rest of the country at containing COVID. Let me see.

<sad trombone>

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Thoguh posted:

The FDA doesn't approve vitamins or makeup or gym supplements.

You're right, they don't even need any sort of regulation! yikes

https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosmetic-products-ingredients/cosmetic-products

So basically if something burns your skin, and enough people complain, maybe they'll take a look

Medical grade stuff is supposedly better regulated, but for anyone looking for FDA approval for vaccines, they already say it's probably fine:

https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/vaccines/emergency-use-authorization-vaccines-explained

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast
Here's a gif that starts when the mask mandate was dropped:

Last image is of 2 days ago.

Source: https://covidestim.org/

The Rt estimates are loving wild.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blitter posted:

https://i.imgur.com/mj1wuYT.mp4

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

This is too good and accurate. One of the best series I’ve seen!

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Two weeks until school starts and our district isn’t saying poo poo one way or the other

:shepicide:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Blitter posted:

Last image is of 2 days ago.

Source: https://covidestim.org/

The Rt estimates are loving wild.

Nice! Brighter colors are good, right?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Schools are starting to open across the US ..... and are already having to close down classes because of outbreaks

https://twitter.com/TheAngryEpi/status/1420595623527477249

"Who could have seen this coming?", said man standing on train tracks with departure schedule

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/cbsnews/status/1420752375229206542?s=21

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1420818621178208263

He's definitely not going to enact a state mask mandate but he might call a session next week to discuss "amend[ing] the act to allow public schools to enact mask wearing at their discretion" but admits it will be a "heavy lift" to get that change enacted
https://www.thv11.com/article/news/...e4-e5429494cc33

We tried nothing and we're all out of ideas. Oh well!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
This is an emergency! But we will not be doing anything!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

*refuses to wear mask* "Why aren't the masks working?!"
*refuses to get vaccine* "Why aren't vaccines working?!"
*dies* "I'm not owned!"

Also I can't help but notice that the "County Council" of St Louis County seems a lot less diverse than St Louis, the city.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Israel officially approves 3rd doses

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1420799038107144196

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Mom told me today she's not getting a booster or vaccine again. Which means my grandmother won't be getting one either because she does whatever my mom says. :smith:

I thanked her for updating her will recently.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1420818621178208263

He's definitely not going to enact a state mask mandate but he might call a session next week to discuss "amend[ing] the act to allow public schools to enact mask wearing at their discretion" but admits it will be a "heavy lift" to get that change enacted
https://www.thv11.com/article/news/...e4-e5429494cc33

We tried nothing and we're all out of ideas. Oh well!

This breaks my brain. Why even bother calling a health emergency?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Crackbone posted:

So in the future he can say he did something.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

wilderthanmild posted:

This is an emergency! But we will not be doing anything!

Soldiers, this is WAR! But we will not be firing a single shot

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Cheering for the end of the mask mandate while not even wearing masks. Seriously, why the gently caress do they even care?

I know, I know, "Our freedoms," etc.....

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Buglord
What’s gonna make my blood boil is when the southern states say that their piles of bodies are the fault of the liberals/Biden/antifa or whatever. I don’t expect any self reflection from any of this and it blows my mind.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Crackbone posted:

Is it like that thing where they have to declare something an emergency before they can allocate funds to it? It doesn’t make it any less stupid. Just bring back masks why is this political I loving hate republicans.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
BC dropped mandatory masks for Canada Day and in not-quite-a-month we’ve gone from ~30 cases a day to ~180 cases a day. It would be so much worse without our vaccination numbers, but they really should have waited another month for more people to get their second jabs.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Crackbone posted:

If I recall it does something with the state being able to access federal funding for things?

Gonna need money to like rent refrigerated trucks.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
https://twitter.com/NancyMace/status/1420744397860212745

lol

frh fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 29, 2021

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Lazyhound posted:

BC dropped mandatory masks for Canada Day and in not-quite-a-month we’ve gone from ~30 cases a day to ~180 cases a day. It would be so much worse without our vaccination numbers, but they really should have waited another month for more people to get their second jabs.

Yeah, hoping that we see just the increase in cases and the medical system sees a drop in patients. Looking forward to them making like more annoying for the unvaccinated.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Can this please just mutate into Captain Trips so we can be done with this?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Note that the mask mandate was rescinded the day after it came into effect. It was issued by the County Executive and the state’s attorney general announced he was going to sue to overturn it, but the county council went and voted it out anyway using a new law enacted by Gov. Parson in June especially for this kind of thing:

quote:

Missouri Gov. Mike Parson in June enacted a new law limiting the duration of local public health restrictions and barring governments from requiring proof of COVID-19 vaccination to use public facilities and transportation.

Although the law does not specifically mention masks, it allows the governing body of any city or county to terminate a public health order issued for the purpose of preventing the spread of a contagious disease. The governing body can do so at any time by a majority vote.
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/st-louis-county-council-votes-to-rescind-new-mask-mandate/2569440/

But now the county executive is arguing that the council's vote doesn't change anything and the mandate is still in place: https://www.riverfronttimes.com/new...te-council-vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

boquiabierta posted:

Ughhhh how are people dealing with large events where there may be unvaccinated people along with children? We've been planning to go to my brother-in-law's wedding in October, but for some reason didn't think to check their Covid protocols until just now. Turns out they don't have any. Well, they "expect unvaccinated (and vaccinated) people to abide by US guidelines" but they're not making that explicit in any way. Their wedding website has absolutely nothing about Covid, they're not asking for vaccination status or proof of vax or tests, and they're not asking unvaxxed people to mask. It's going to be 150 people, jfc, and my brother-in-law thinks maybe there are some people on his in-laws' side who "lean right" and might not be vaccinated. But they won't ask them or do anything to try to make it safer for the 10-15 kids they're expecting, including our 18-month-old.

loving gently caress, this sucks so much. We feel confident that everyone on my brother-in-law's side (my in-laws) will be vaccinated because they are all basically reasonable people but I don't want my kiddo around anyone who might be unvaxxed. This delta variant is scary and every time someone says "kids don't get sick" I want to throw things.

I guess we have to decide to keep our baby home and/or not go ourselves, which SUCKS. We've been looking forward to this for ages, haven't seen our families in almost two years and almost no one has met our baby. (We live in Spain and haven't been back to the US since before covid.)

cross posting

I wouldn't go anywhere near a gathering like that right now regardless of how much I would want to.