Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Doctor Nutt posted:

I'm glad it's on game pass because right now as amazing as it looks on a series x, flight sim absolutely feels like a beta test. Down to the basic windows mouse cursor popping up on initial load. And the load times are the most annoying thing as I have quickly grown used to most games just not having load times.
I mean, ultimately it's still a sim game. Flights are meant to last an hour or more. This isn't like Forza Horizon where you're hopping in and out of different planes and zooming across the globe. The menus are a bit jank but it seems like a pretty decent compromise in porting an extremely complex PC game without just completely redoing the entire UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I don't think The Ascent is for me. I can't handle the controls, never played a twin-stick shooter before and it feels awkward. I also can't get past the intro mission because I keep dying so back to Flight Sim!

American McGay posted:

I mean, ultimately it's still a sim game. Flights are meant to last an hour or more. This isn't like Forza Horizon where you're hopping in and out of different planes and zooming across the globe. The menus are a bit jank but it seems like a pretty decent compromise in porting an extremely complex PC game without just completely redoing the entire UI.

This is exactly what I've been doing and I'm having a blast. Just picking spots around the world to do some sightseeing. Loading times are not bad at all imo, only the initial startup takes a while.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
To get into the game, pick a spot, and fly continuously for as long as I want takes less time than loading a skyrim save on my xbox one lol. The game is a technical marvel and having a slight load time is fine.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I think the key to roaming in FS is keeping in mind that it doesn’t make boring places interesting.

The crummy looking reservoir close to where I grew up looks like a boring crummy reservoir in the game. Meanwhile, the gorgeous bays and inlets of a place like Lake Coeur d'Alene are incredible in the game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

John F Bennett posted:

I don't think The Ascent is for me. I can't handle the controls, never played a twin-stick shooter before and it feels awkward. I also can't get past the intro mission because I keep dying so back to Flight Sim!

This is exactly what I've been doing and I'm having a blast. Just picking spots around the world to do some sightseeing. Loading times are not bad at all imo, only the initial startup takes a while.

Eh, I have been trying to ace all the training stuff and for something that loving fiddly about scoring it needs to have super meat boy esque resetting to avoid being completely infuriating. I'm pretty close to just dragging my hotas downstairs and seeing if it works despite not being on the official supported list because anything that requires you to maintain a strict heading is a loving pain in the rear end. You can be pointed directly at the landing strip at all times during one of the landing tutorials and not have it register because you were a tiny fraction off of where you want it to be.

I get it's a sim game but come the gently caress on, they have to know a bunch of people are going to be playing it with a controller just to try it out and it probably should have defaulted to easy for controller rather than medium.

E: whoever came up with the taxi training tutorial is a real sadistic motherfucker, I had to do that like 20 times to get an A and I still have no idea what separated my first attempt from the final success

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
My Series X controller doesn't work with the Ascent on PC for some reason. It allows me to select my account with the controller and it shows the button prompts on the game itself, but they don't work. Only kb/m works and since I started on the console I want to use the controller.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

ultrachrist posted:

My Series X controller doesn't work with the Ascent on PC for some reason. It allows me to select my account with the controller and it shows the button prompts on the game itself, but they don't work. Only kb/m works and since I started on the console I want to use the controller.

Have you rebooted? I had this happen to me in a different game a week or so ago and a reboot fixed it. I chalked it up to a Windows 11 hiccup at the time.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Doctor Nutt posted:

Eh, I have been trying to ace all the training stuff and for something that loving fiddly about scoring it needs to have super meat boy esque resetting to avoid being completely infuriating. I'm pretty close to just dragging my hotas downstairs and seeing if it works despite not being on the official supported list because anything that requires you to maintain a strict heading is a loving pain in the rear end. You can be pointed directly at the landing strip at all times during one of the landing tutorials and not have it register because you were a tiny fraction off of where you want it to be.

I get it's a sim game but come the gently caress on, they have to know a bunch of people are going to be playing it with a controller just to try it out and it probably should have defaulted to easy for controller rather than medium.

E: whoever came up with the taxi training tutorial is a real sadistic motherfucker, I had to do that like 20 times to get an A and I still have no idea what separated my first attempt from the final success

I'm not bothering at all with the training stuff. I put assistance on EASY and just pick spots to fly around. Controller controls work very well, I mostly just use the left stick to fly and the right stick for the camera. Sometimes A or B for the throttle. That's about all of the buttons I touch.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

John F Bennett posted:

I'm not bothering at all with the training stuff. I put assistance on EASY and just pick spots to fly around. Controller controls work very well, I mostly just use the left stick to fly and the right stick for the camera. Sometimes A or B for the throttle. That's about all of the buttons I touch.

Yeah but my sick loving brain can't sit there and look at a percentage score and not try to get it to 100%. The elite V2 with the long stick on left thumb isn't a bad compromise but it's still really fiddly. I am down on easy settings now so I might give it a go. It is weird how they provide a bunch of tooltips about stuff they don't really tutorialize anywhere, like smart cam. Also there should just be a photo mode that you can enter on pause.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Zerot posted:

Have you rebooted? I had this happen to me in a different game a week or so ago and a reboot fixed it. I chalked it up to a Windows 11 hiccup at the time.

Yeah... I went to try a different game (Doom) to confirm it worked on other games. I needed to update my drivers and restart for Doom, which now works perfectly with the controller. Ascent still won't acknowledge controller inputs after.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

ZeeBoi posted:

I'm experiencing something really weird with game pass. Often times games I have uninstalled will just reappear as installed. I think it has something to do with me installing via the app. Anyone else run into this?

I've had this happen once. It looked to me like there was an update queued when I uninstalled the game and when I installed updates it reinstalled the whole game plus the update.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Been playing the Ascent today, game is very challenging, but a lot of fun and super beautiful looking. Its use of lighting, shadows, and smoke, are amazing.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Why isn’t FFIVX on Xbox yet Yoshida?! :argh:

S-E are too cheap to pay for a port.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Of 14? Xbox turned down a port of the game when it came out

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I wish it was on Xbox I hate sitting at a computer chair to play.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Of 14? Xbox turned down a port of the game when it came out

Which version?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1420857528599121921?s=19

Say it with me now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stays winning.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The old lovely one

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Phil did it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Honestly incredible

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I’d prefer they stay hungry, but good for Phil he owns

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Just imagine when all those games they’ve been teasing for forever start coming out next year.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Blue Raider posted:

Just imagine when all those games they’ve been teasing for forever start coming out next year.

I'm imagining Forza Horizon 5 in November, and much like all pre-installs, you can keep clicking it daily for your "play a game pass game" reward lol

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I look forward to having single dev/publisher piece meal subscription services within 12 months

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Laserface posted:

I look forward to having single dev/publisher piece meal subscription services within 12 months

Both ubisoft and EA have these already, so like, thats already happening right now.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
:regd08: fuckin' 08s

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

is Forza 7 leaving gamepass or just de-listing for sale? typing it out makes me think both?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think the license stuff means they're not legally allowed to sell it anymore. I have no idea if offering it as part of a paid subscription counts as selling it in legalese or not.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Do other car games with real cars do this regularly or just forza? Theres probably a better way

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Red Warrior posted:

Forza Motorsport 7 is delisting which is kind of crazy, you won't be able to buy a Forza Motorsport game digitally, until the next one comes out maybe next year.
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1420798015145537540

Those licensing deals must be nuts that they wouldn't re-license what they need to and keep it up on the marketplace.

this is a mercy kill

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

American McGay posted:

I think the license stuff means they're not legally allowed to sell it anymore. I have no idea if offering it as part of a paid subscription counts as selling it in legalese or not.

It'll be removed from Game Pass as well, the same happened with FM6 when it was delisted. So if you want to have FM7 available to you you'll need to buy it to keep the download available.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

yeah nah it aint worth paying for.

I'll stick to 5.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Ascent so far is extremely fun but the objective markers could be a bit clearer and I wish I could track more than one quest at a time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

njsykora posted:

It'll be removed from Game Pass as well, the same happened with FM6 when it was delisted. So if you want to have FM7 available to you you'll need to buy it to keep the download available.
Also worth noting: If you've bought DLC for the Game Pass version but never bought the game itself, Xbox Support is sending out download codes for the game that should land by August 2nd.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
This game (flight sim) really needs a dedicated photo mode. The menus are such a convoluted mess and no matter how hard I toggle smart cam poo poo to off, I can't get a decent external camera that doesn't have a bunch of ugly gui poo poo all over it. I know messing around on the PC version I was able to get something better but gently caress if I can figure it all out with a controller. Any game this pretty without a dedicated single pause menu photo mode is a drat travesty.

I'm probably just really bad at this but come on how do you make a game look this good and not provide people with an easy "take pretty pictures feature" that doesn't require tons of obtuse menu fiddling.

Also love to have pop ups telling me INCORRECT HEADING INDICATOR and to push 'd' to set heading correctly. :wtc: Where is the d key on this controller and why the gently caress is my heading incorrect in a free flight to begin with?

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 30, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Doctor Nutt posted:

This game (flight sim) really needs a dedicated photo mode. The menus are such a convoluted mess and no matter how hard I toggle smart cam poo poo to off, I can't get a decent external camera that doesn't have a bunch of ugly gui poo poo all over it. I know messing around on the PC version I was able to get something better but gently caress if I can figure it all out with a controller. Any game this pretty without a dedicated single pause menu photo mode is a drat travesty.
It's a bit fiddly, but:

The Kins posted:

Dive into the control settings and bind a button (or button combo, I bound mine to RT+START) to either "Active Pause" or "Pause On". Active Pause freezes your plane in the air, but keeps the simulation running so you're still burning fuel and your autopilot might bug out when it's turned off. Pause On/Off is more traditional, I guess.

From there, press the left stick to open up the toolbar, select the camera, and set it to "Showcase". Now you have a free camera you can zoom around where-ever.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Fixins posted:

Anyone try the Logitech 3d stock?

From a few pages back, I tried it last night and it doesn't work. Xbox doesn't recognize it when you try to add a controller.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I’m thinking about getting back into Destiny 2. I had a couple expansions on PS4 but don’t remember what I bought. Does the game pass version include the expansions or will I need to buy dlc to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

loudog999 posted:

I’m thinking about getting back into Destiny 2. I had a couple expansions on PS4 but don’t remember what I bought. Does the game pass version include the expansions or will I need to buy dlc to play?
It does.