Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
done now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Holy moly :aaaaa:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Zoben posted:

done now

Wow.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Zoben posted:

done now

Now that is a nice way to start a new page. Well done!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah it loving rules! Good work!

Crossposting from the daily drawings and doodles thread.

Quitting my stupid job to try and find something else that gives me more time to work on my art.

Got some iterative work done on atrapeze shrimp idea from way too long ago. A follow up/companion piece to my crustacean circus poster

Felt like the original concept was a lil too disembodied, trying out adding some depth to the image to give it context. Need to rearrange the circus ring a bit, but I like the effect a lot.

Experiment w/ adding slight features that make the shrimp look more emotive/animated, along with revisiting the daily drawings thread-title namesake. Originally wasn't sold on the tutu idea, but I like it a bit more now.

Tried a slightly different revision, with different eyes.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Zoben posted:

done now

The mix of organic waves with mechanical entities rules!

dog nougat posted:

Yeah it loving rules! Good work!

Crossposting from the daily drawings and doodles thread.

Quitting my stupid job to try and find something else that gives me more time to work on my art.

Got some iterative work done on atrapeze shrimp idea from way too long ago. A follow up/companion piece to my crustacean circus poster

Felt like the original concept was a lil too disembodied, trying out adding some depth to the image to give it context. Need to rearrange the circus ring a bit, but I like the effect a lot.

Experiment w/ adding slight features that make the shrimp look more emotive/animated, along with revisiting the daily drawings thread-title namesake. Originally wasn't sold on the tutu idea, but I like it a bit more now.

Tried a slightly different revision, with different eyes.

This is also really cool and the shrimp are adorable. Good luck on quitting your job! I did the same thing a few months ago and I'm still waiting to see how it goes :shrug:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Zoben posted:

done now

This is some kind of weird combination of Geoff Darrow and this Flyinng Lotus video. Great stuff as usual!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1KOb4_XK84

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

I have a giant overstuffed leather loveseat that's going to get thrown away and I'm looking for a reason to repurpose it. Is there anything I can use to paint/draw on leather that would withstand wear from people sitting on it? I've been Googling and the top 2 suggestions for leather are Acrylic and Alcohol Ink. I would expect Acrylic to rub off... Alcohol Ink works as far as resisting wear, but I tried with copics and the color is barely visible on the leather surface.

Edit: Or a wear-proof fixer that would work on top of the Acrylic or whatever. I've never worked with furniture before and don't know where to start :kiddo:

I am not a leather expert, but have hosed around with leather. There is leather paint I have not tried yet, but seen promising things:

https://www.dickblick.com/products/...ASABEgI3OPD_BwE

There is Fiebing’s dye that works really well but for veg tanned leather, so I don’t know if it would do well on a couch. It is more of a stain that works on an open grain. Acrylics could work but you u would want them on the thinner side so they don’t just chip.

For fiebings or acrylic paint, I would gently scuff the surface you want to paint first so either adheres better.

I think there still might be a leather thread in DIY, you could go for guidance there. Fun idea!

I love that wave drawing, Zoben!

The shrimps are also very cool. Their faces really capture a kind of sadness in a funny way which I don’t know if you were going for, but to me it is very much the essence of being a shrimp.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...

The Dark Project posted:

Work in progress about the many physical and mental health problems that I am experiencing currently. I think I want to title it "Disconnected", but I am open to other suggestions for titles.

Made from PVC pipe, foam padding, CPAP air tube, fabric and calico (dyed with tea and cinnamon), metal wire, and distressed wooden chair. Will be further wrapped with barbed wire, attaching it to the chair itself. Likely to add more griming to it as well.

So, I never followed up on this. It was completed at the end of last year, in time for my Graduation, which turned out to be a fiasco. But enough about that. The work is done. I ended up naming it "The King Amongst Pretenders". It's representative of the top tier level of pain I have to endure often. When it happens, I am often immobilized by it. I can't get around, so I have no legs. I can't work, so I have no arms. And I can't think about anything because of how much pain I am in, hence I have no head. The staining was done via a mix of cheap chocolate cake mix, various herbs like nutmeg and the like, and ceramic oxide. It's applied by spraying the figure with spray adhesive, then applied by just chucking it on. Barbed wire was deliberately burned to get it to age out of being pristine galvanised steel, because no matter how I tried, the bastard just wouldn't rust.

The plinth is made from reclaimed wood from some of the 12 pallets I pulled apart to make 9 wooden boxes for another piece. It's really loving heavy. It was then banded with metal strapping I burnt at the same time as the barbed wire, so it wouldn't look bright and new. The wood for the plinth, as well as the chair once I had sanded off all of the existing varnish, was stained by slopping really strong boiled tea over it, and then iron acetate. Iron acetate is easily made by pulling apart fine steel wool, and immersing it in vinegar. It will get dissolved in the mix in a matter of days to a week, and it reacts with the tannin imbued in the wood via the tea. Even wood, such a pine which is what the plinth is made of, ages a really cool darker black/silver colour. Glad to have found out about this technique, as there was no way I was going to be able to afford to stain all the boxes I had made.

This is a full sized painting called "Day To Day Masquerade". It's about having to try to live life while existing on medications just so I am not in constant pain. It makes things difficult, and I often don't feel present in life because of it. You can't really make it out, but I transferred my own image into the picture using acrylic gel, but it's not transferred as well as I had hoped.

This is a finalised version of a head sculpture I was making. I had originally painted it using really expensive paint that is supposed to rust. But it didn't and I thought the effect sucked. The application of cheap iron powder by watered down PVA glue did though. I left it outside to get weathered, and added pool salt onto it which the rain made run down the object, giving it a really cool look. Happy about this one. I call it "Ascension".

If people want to see more works, let me know. I've also got work from the previous semester of work now I have begun studying at University. The lecturers are much more encouraging and enthusiastic, so I am hoping for better results here. Plus, they also have 24-hr studio access which is awesome for me, especially when dealing with pain issues.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 17, 2021

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

The Dark Project posted:

If people want to see more works, let me know. I've also got work from the previous semester of work now I have begun studying at University. The lecturers are much more encouraging and enthusiastic, so I am hoping for better results here. Plus, they also have 24-hr studio access which is awesome for me, especially when dealing with pain issues.

I do - I really like these.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

HungryMedusa posted:

I am not a leather expert, but have hosed around with leather. There is leather paint I have not tried yet, but seen promising things:

https://www.dickblick.com/products/...ASABEgI3OPD_BwE

There is Fiebing’s dye that works really well but for veg tanned leather, so I don’t know if it would do well on a couch. It is more of a stain that works on an open grain. Acrylics could work but you u would want them on the thinner side so they don’t just chip.

For fiebings or acrylic paint, I would gently scuff the surface you want to paint first so either adheres better.

I think there still might be a leather thread in DIY, you could go for guidance there. Fun idea!

Thank you! I'll pick some up to try it out, I don't even have a plan in mind for this thing I'd just rather use it as a giant canvas than throw it out

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

Have you ever thought about implementing some fancier gear arrangements?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tURgE38tdRs

https://i.imgur.com/Oukvlg5.gifv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwf5mAlI7Ug
Surely lots of potential there :)

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, I have thought about that but I'm not sure if I could build anything much more complex than I already am. It has taken me several attemps to improve the smoothness and sturdiness of my gears and even then they are still not perfect.

I do have some ideas for some different parts I think I can manage such as sliding parts or empty gears.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Crossposting and asking for some tips and constructive feedback.

Some problems I'm seeing myself:

- The contours are a bit wobbly since I'm not that steady-handed.
- The different parts connect to each other a bit wonky
- Some parts that are supposed to be cylindrical look a bit flat.

Any other noob-mistakes that I'm making?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Claeaus posted:

Crossposting and asking for some tips and constructive feedback.

Some problems I'm seeing myself:

- The contours are a bit wobbly since I'm not that steady-handed.
- The different parts connect to each other a bit wonky
- Some parts that are supposed to be cylindrical look a bit flat.

Any other noob-mistakes that I'm making?

Thus is really solid!

The issues with the disjointed nature are likely from a poor start. Like get the basic form and volume down and then commit to finishing. Work in broad strokes across the piece filling in your values rather than piecemeal.

As far as flatness, use less black/dark and let the paper work for you to imply highlights. Work thinner and lighter. Build the body slowly.

It's still good though. Learn from your mistakes and learn what not to do and learn what works. Just keep at it and you'll get better each time.

I find taking notes and critiquing my work to be super helpful. Especially when looking back at old pieces.

Got some more work done on the trapeze shrimp! Super close. Did some basic layout work on title font layouts as well, but didn't take a pic. Mostly worked on drapery and defining the ground/crowd. Need to do a quick color study and fix some minor issues with the tutu.

Should be able to get the final piece laid out in a day or 2 and if everything goes perfectly (lol) I should hopefully get it finished within the week.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I definitely rushed through the sketch part a bit and worked a bit piecemeal-like.
"Work thinner and lighter", you mean like less paint on the brush?

Also looking forward to your final product!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Claeaus posted:

"Work thinner and lighter", you mean like less paint on the brush?

More of a thinner wash of paint. You can add and build easily. Removing paint is difficult.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Got it, thanks!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Some observation from lately!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Finished up the pencilwork on this poster finally. Need to do a little painting in gouache to warm-up/refresh my memory of what to do. Will likely be a little shrimp to keep the theme going and to practice for this piece.

Had to boost the contrast to capture the pencilwork clearly.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I did this thing as a daily drawing

"I Knew They'd Come Back For Me"

Copic marker, posca marker, inktense pencil, gel pen, fineliner, brush marker

detail pics:

After ~8 months of barely producing because life got in the way I'm proud of myself for making the last week and a half very productive :cool:

Not pictured: The stack of ~140 other drawings I have no idea how to monetize. If anyone has any knowledge about how to do that with physical traditional media please enlighten me :sweatdrop: I'm trying to make art a full-time income generator and I'd need to sell one of these a day at $4/square inch which doesn't seem like a feasible rate, especially with a small following

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 29, 2021

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

nice and cool stuff. If you have such a volume, try selling on Etsy or some similar marketplace.
I know of very few trad artists who make a living out of it, for most it is some sort of fun money to supplement their (spouses) income.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Yeah, making a living off of art is hard. I know a few fine artists who that is their profession, and they mostly have dedicated studios in big communal buildings and are constantly showing in galleries and/ or having open studio events. A couple of them teach to supplement their income. Some have other jobs. You have to constantly promote yourself and hustle. I am older, so the artists I know are mostly not huge on social media and have built followings in the community first.

I consider myself a part timer - I "sell" on Etsy (not super lucrative) and do 2-4 art fairs a year- or I did pre-covid. So take any of my advice with a grain of salt. I definitely could not quit my day job.

$4 per square inch seems expensive, but pricing is so hard. To sell any amount of art, you are right you need a following. I think first it would be helpful to identify your audience. Then you need to get your art in front of them. Look for galleries and gift shops in your area where your work would fit and approach them. You might want to try smaller pop up type art events to see what selling art to the public is like if you want to try that route. And of course hit social media hard, follow other artists you like and have similar styles who are making a living at it and do what they do.

It's hard. I am getting ready to redouble my art making efforts here after a year and a half of covid blahs. I entered a juried art fair and a juried show and should know next week if I made either of them. It is really something you can not stop doing or you lose momentum.

Here is my finished turtle head. I like her, but this kind of art is not what most of my customers like; I do better with more realistic colored pencil work.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have pretty much no hope of selling pieces outright being a good use of time, yeah :( I've been considering things like a $5-10/month Patreon where I draw one patron's name every month to win one, grants/residencies (can't find any I can apply to before the Fall though), and things like that. All of the gallery spaces I've been able to find are pay-for-your-spot deals and I don't know if that's worth it. I've been stealing instagram hashtags from some similar artists and it helped get a small following, but I haven't been able to break the ~500 follower barrier but I think I just need to keep at it. I'm in Arizona so art fairs are just too much during the summer but I'm planning on having a booth at a few in the fall.

My problem is if I have a full time job it takes way too much out of me to be able to consistently make art. I quit my job a little while back and I'm trying to find an independent source of income while I live off savings, but maybe it just needs to be something else that allows me to do art on the side :shrug:

The turtle is adorable I love her

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 29, 2021

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

FunkyAl posted:

Some observation from lately!

beautiful!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Did this adorable lil shrimp painting in gouache today as a refresher myself before working on my shrimp circus poster.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

That is an adorable shrimp! I like the frame too

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

HungryMedusa posted:

That is an adorable shrimp! I like the frame too

Thanks! I think I should go back in and push my values just a little bit more and make the background a little more uniform. The frame was an ugly little portrait frame I painted with gold 1 shot lettering enamel.

Did some work on another ugly frame and made it cute today. Montana spray paint and the same enamel. Need to give it a few days for the enamel to fully set and I'll apply a coat of golden polymer varnish to make it glossy.

Not sure exactly what I want to paint to put in this one yet tbh. Have a few ideas though. Still feel a little rusty and want to work on one more painting before jumping into a larger more formal piece.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Got some solid painting done on my shrimp poster today (finally!)

The big gradient for the background is probably going to be the hardest part to make consistent just need to lay a lot of paint out to make sure I have enough and don't need to remix paint

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
My camera can't capture the greenness in the lettering unfortunately, but still got some solid work done today on this! Not as much as I'd have liked, the text took longer than I expected and my back is sorta sore from leaning in so close. Should still have it finished in a few days though!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I wanted to try drawing an abstract graphic novel and also made it the largest piece I've ever done at 12"x16" (probably a mistake because I got bored of it before I felt 'done'!), I call it Graphic Novelty

Just a whole lot of layers of various pens, pencils and markers

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 10, 2021

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Love the colors of your art Deep

Finally got around finishing my latest painting
(Un)still life
https://i.imgur.com/Ak2qAhF.gifv

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
^^^ Very nice!

Finally jumped back into my shrimp poster a bit today. Didn't get as much done as I'd have liked, but I'm happy with what I got done. Working this small is super challenging. That's really the lion's share of the difficult details finished though.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Got some more work done on this today!

Tiny little details ended up taking a lot longer than I expected. Getting real close though. Need to do a quick colored pencil study for my new idea for the background. Just have to outline the letters, do the background, spotlight, and border. I hope I'll be able to get this finished tomorrow. Depends on how hard the background gradient(s?) end up being.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Doing some workshopping for a new print, probably a big one

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

My first painting on rails. I'll probably combine them with the gears at some point.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Chernabog posted:

My first painting on rails. I'll probably combine them with the gears at some point.

That's super rad! Do the pieces move on their own or is it manual?

I just spent like 3 weeks adding layer after layer of color on this thing and it looked like trash the entire time, but I finally called it quits on the color and started adding the black acrylic and it's coming together now, thank goodness

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 15, 2021

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

It's manual, I just made a gif because it seems like a better way to show them rather than the video I was making for my other paintings before.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Today's painting

Getting less crap at painting with each one so that's good!

Claeaus fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This is the first piece of art I've ever posted online that got a sizable reaction, I posted it on reddit yesterday and it got almost 1000 upvotes :unsmith:

In 2020 I drew this as as a gift for someone who broke up with me the day before I was going to give it to them. Almost everything about it is a homage to something that was important to them so I just kept it and hated it for a while and then recently have been looking at again and thought it was cool

12"x16", mostly colored pencil but the clouds and outlines are acrylic pen

I posted it once before in this thread when I was working on it but it was a very bad photo with terrible lighting and I didn't like it at the time

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 18, 2021