Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gatts posted:

So how’s Brexit going?

Brexit means a sensible and balanced breakfast,

E: with at least 258 baked beans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Gatts posted:

So how’s Brexit going?

It's.... complicated? :confused:

England is going fascist, Scotland is going independent, Wales is being Labour when it's good and Northern Ireland is surreptitiously going for reunification with Éire and all of this is due to Boris being an idiot.

The E.U. is currently chilling on holiday and isn't even interested in getting the popcorn out and watching this fustercluck as we are all now a 3rd country with limited relevance to them. :shrug:

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Hmm, no bog roll in 2 of the shops I went in today (Bristol). Third one had very little stock. Is it 2020 again?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Just Another Lurker posted:

The E.U. is currently chilling on holiday and isn't even interested in getting the popcorn out and watching this fustercluck as we are all now a 3rd country with limited relevance to them. :shrug:

Eh, the EU just paused its two lawsuits over the implementation of the NI protocol as a "gesture of goodwill" so some things are happening.

Judging by the past it's a prelude to a very humiliating climb down for Bojo where he quietly acquiesces and gets something small to play to the press, but actually agrees to getting hosed.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Cycled about 8k in my lunch break. I was a lot of fun but I forgot how much effort is required to go up even pretty small hills and secondly OH MY GOD MY ARSE. I seem to remember that not long ago someone recommended some kind of revolutionary bum-saving accessory you can get... Anyone care to make that recommendation again?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Ah, what you need is a sexarse.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

namesake posted:

Don't worry, that's not (just) due to Brexit, it's also to do with global mishandling of the pandemic, the UK governments mishandling of the pandemic and decades of undermining agricultural and industrial resilience.

So really a lot of it would be happening anyway.

Don't think France and Germany have empty shelves though?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't half the point of the EU agricultural program to keep France's farms working?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Ah, what you need is a sexarse.

6-8 week wait for a sex arse, cos of brexit.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

The Perfect Element posted:

Cycled about 8k in my lunch break. I was a lot of fun but I forgot how much effort is required to go up even pretty small hills and secondly OH MY GOD MY ARSE. I seem to remember that not long ago someone recommended some kind of revolutionary bum-saving accessory you can get... Anyone care to make that recommendation again?

https://mantasaddle.co.uk/ is the greatest saddle most people have never seen. Looks ridiculous but removes any kind of some bum and you kinda feel like you're getting a massage instead.

Also acts as a deterrent because most people would be too confused to sit on it and steal it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Sad Panda posted:

https://mantasaddle.co.uk/ is the greatest saddle most people have never seen. Looks ridiculous but removes any kind of some bum and you kinda feel like you're getting a massage instead.

Also acts as a deterrent because most people would be too confused to sit on it and steal it.

It looks great but the £150 price tag is almost as eye watering as my aching rump.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Hmm, no bog roll in 2 of the shops I went in today (Bristol). Third one had very little stock. Is it 2020 again?

So your saying that Bristol is now full of smelly bums.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

happyhippy posted:

So your saying that Bristol is now full of smelly bums.

That's why they came up with that scale

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

6-8 week wait for a sex arse, cos of brexit.

If you want immediate delivery you'll have to settle for a refurbished SEXARSE

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I remember for a while in the early 90s, when I was about 10 I'd wake up before 5am and watch the early morning news on ITV which felt like it covered more varied news than the prime time broadcasts: vividly remember the Siege of Sarajevo. Anyway, there'd always be loving public service ads and they'd always be horrifying, like one about a kid drinking bleach stored in a soda bottle or houses burning down coz someone fell asleep with a cigarette lit. Nightmare fodder for sure.

I remember a weird late night advert in about 2000 with some guy at the airport getting drugs slipped into his bag when he wasn't looking, then it ended with him getting caught and sent to a weird foreign prison and him crying as they were shaving his head

gently caress that advert. I don't even know if it was real or just an alcohol-induced hallucination

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Convex posted:

I remember a weird late night advert in about 2000 with some guy at the airport getting drugs slipped into his bag when he wasn't looking, then it ended with him getting caught and sent to a weird foreign prison and him crying as they were shaving his head

gently caress that advert. I don't even know if it was real or just an alcohol-induced hallucination

was that just an ad for Banged Up Abroad? ...or Midnight Express?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
FCO I think, "we can help you, but we can't get you out"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Convex posted:

It was real, I remember it too.
But I think the drugs were in a teddy bear, that he was asked to take with him through customs.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

happyhippy posted:

It was real, I remember it too.
But I think the drugs were in a teddy bear, that he was asked to take with him through customs.

To be fair asking someone to take something with you to give to someone on the other side has been used to great effect A LOT of times to get drugs and/or bombs through airport security and/or customs.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

feedmegin posted:

Don't think France and Germany have empty shelves though?

Ports are hosed but it's not just because of Brexit customs, costs have exploded globally. Internal logistics are hosed because of pandemic and ports and Brexit. If you aren't so dependent on ports as the UK and Brexit is less of a thing then yes you're doing better.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Miftan posted:

To be fair asking someone to take something with you to give to someone on the other side has been used to great effect A LOT of times to get drugs and/or bombs through airport security and/or customs.

Oh yeah, it used to be the thing. Wasn't it some Australia woman that got tricked into this and got jailed. Was big news back then.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Sad Panda posted:

Visiting ruins in Central America had that feeling at times. I had a Mexican student ID so got free/heavily discounted entry to ruins. This meant instead of just going to the big ones like Chichen Itza and Tulum I went to a few where there was a field with a couple of stones that had been excavated. Nothing else visible other than the display board that had an artist's rendition of a temple and a few paragraphs about it. Absolutely baffling.

There are numerous ways you can determine the nature and extent of activity on a site. If we only relied on extant ruins we'd have basically 0 archaeological record for most of northern europe for iron age and earlier periods. And some places even up to the modern era. Artist's rendition can get a little fanciful tho.

Source: I was an actual working archaeologist in Scotland until I realised it was ruining me physically and financially.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of Scotland, a cool power thing just switched on off of Orkney.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also Farage and Darren Grimes's fundraising campaign went well :toot:

https://twitter.com/RNLI/status/1420743605115781121

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The Marble arch thing has closed already lol.

Extreme Car Park Chrismas festival energy from that.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The Met Police officer who kneeled on someone's neck during an arrest has been told to "go away and think about what you did, but you're not actually in trouble or anything" which I'm sure will be a real deterrent to other cunts like him in the future.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

serious gaylord posted:

The Marble arch thing has closed already lol.

Extreme Car Park Chrismas festival energy from that.

I saw the Twitter thread about it and was utterly baffled. I don't even understand the scam. at least with the Christmas car park you understand how some parents get tricked into thinking it would be nice for the kids, but who was going to buy a ticket to stand on some scaffolding covered in astro turf? Who was making money out of it and how?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1420814960670740484

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I saw the Twitter thread about it and was utterly baffled. I don't even understand the scam. at least with the Christmas car park you understand how some parents get tricked into thinking it would be nice for the kids, but who was going to buy a ticket to stand on some scaffolding covered in astro turf? Who was making money out of it and how?

I too enjoy Sim City 2000

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

happyhippy posted:

Oh yeah, it used to be the thing. Wasn't it some Australia woman that got tricked into this and got jailed. Was big news back then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindawi_affair is the big one, I think.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Thats literally just Populous.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not very, by the sound of it :dadjoke:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So does anyone have the ZOE app and been following them? They seem to be a super big alternative data source for covid data and they're saying the positive infections haven't dropped at all. It's plateaued.

Had a friend at work who had all the symptoms of the delta variant (headache, sore throat) and was told he couldn't have a test as he didn't have covid.

Yay.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Mebh posted:

So does anyone have the ZOE app and been following them? They seem to be a super big alternative data source for covid data and they're saying the positive infections haven't dropped at all. It's plateaued.

Had a friend at work who had all the symptoms of the delta variant (headache, sore throat) and was told he couldn't have a test as he didn't have covid.

Yay.

Given that the ONS are still doing random household sampling, I'd trust those numbers far beyond some bid data app that will have huge selection biases in it's user base.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Honestly, padded shorts is all you want in my experience.

Mebh posted:

By whom? He can pick up a free test kit (5 tests) from any pharmacy.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 29, 2021

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Guavanaut posted:

That thing has a whiff of Project Azorian about it, but we're probably just trying to use up a couple of hundred military dirigibles that Dominic Cummings ordered after playing too much Red Alert.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Guavanaut posted:

quote:

Mr Scott said: "We believe pioneering our vision in the UK can deliver on a broad spectrum of political initiatives across net zero, levelling up and building back better at the same time as demonstrating global leadership in the area of low-carbon innovation that is essential to creating a more sustainable future for the generations to come."

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

By whom? He can pick up a free test kit (5 tests) from any pharmacy.

Not sure. Apparently he rang the 119 number (isn't that automated?) . I'll poke him next time I see him about. I've got a pack of lateral flow tests here just incase.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Given that the ONS are still doing random household sampling, I'd trust those numbers far beyond some bid data app that will have huge selection biases in it's user base.

The ONS data seems to show higher prevalence than the ZOE data.

https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/uk-cases-stop-rising

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

The Sterling King Size history of Cancer exhibit has a similar clause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

Honestly, padded shorts is all you want in my experience.
For a 5km ride you shouldn't really need any padding, just do it a few times and your bum will get used to it. Putting a bit more weight on your feet rather than just planting your arse helps too. The shorts get much more important once you're spending an hour or two in the saddle.