Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Jonny 290 posted:

the best night i had on the radio in years was when i heard a sunday night net where the net control was running a very simple CYOA/tabletop game and all the other hams brought their little kids in and put them on the air to play

"you're a squirrel in a locked room"
"you see the key on top of a shelf but you can't get to it"
"in the room there is a broom, some old books and a piece of string"

<squeaky 7 year old voice>

"i use the string to pull the key off the shelf!"

it was so pure and tbqh a round robin net is a really good communication medium for that

i think a more sophisticated game would be doable too, DM could roll and whatnot

I have a friend who, along with some coworkers who definitely should have known better (because they weren't summer research interns), thought it was a good idea to play Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes over FRS walkie talkies at a controlled federal facility which is considered a vital security asset and has lethal force authorization and they found out pretty quickly that someone will indeed track you down and tell you that you have to stop.
:eng99:

Your game sounds fantastic, though, and I love that idea. If anyone wants to run something similar without having enough licensees around to do it via ham radio, Zello could probably recreate a similar experience since it's PTT by default but is done over the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that is one of the most Brain Genious things i've ever heard. holy god. thank you for the grim laugh

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

poeticoddity posted:

thought it was a good idea to play Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes over FRS walkie talkies at a controlled federal facility which is considered a vital security asset and has lethal force authorization
:staredog:

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah third party operation is absolutely fine (in the US at least). "This is <callsign> with third party traffic - handing the mic over to <kid name>" and let them go. They can even do your 10 minute IDs if they want. You need to maintain control of the station at all times, which practically speaking means you are listening and can reach the power switch.

Technically speaking all the operators at a big club Field Day station using the club call are running 3rd party

This is good to know. I had seen people hold the mic to lets other talk, and really that might be good enough for me. I bought an IC-705 mostly with the excuse to show my nephews that are 10 and 12. If I can get them holding the mic next month, I can probably get them hooked.

p.s. I will be down near Corvallis Oregon in a month. At the very least I will be on a rarely worked grid square and everyone will love me.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

poeticoddity posted:

I have a friend who, along with some coworkers who definitely should have known better (because they weren't summer research interns), thought it was a good idea to play Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes over FRS walkie talkies at a controlled federal facility which is considered a vital security asset and has lethal force authorization and they found out pretty quickly that someone will indeed track you down and tell you that you have to stop.
:eng99:

Your game sounds fantastic, though, and I love that idea. If anyone wants to run something similar without having enough licensees around to do it via ham radio, Zello could probably recreate a similar experience since it's PTT by default but is done over the internet.

lmaoooo

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I’ll need to check the U.K. rules, but that’s cool. As long as there’s supervision I can’t see any issue at all.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Get on AG0ON and play some Action Castle.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i spent some time at the park with my shortwave and rtl-sdr today. the rtl-sdr was doing great until my laptop got too hot and throttled (it was in the sun). i shut that down and put up the long wire for the shortwave and was able to receive lots of cool things. heard a POTA activator for a bit on 20m. it was a good time

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

i spent some time at the park with my shortwave and rtl-sdr today. the rtl-sdr was doing great until my laptop got too hot and throttled (it was in the sun). i shut that down and put up the long wire for the shortwave and was able to receive lots of cool things. heard a POTA activator for a bit on 20m. it was a good time

I’m wondering if this is why I’m getting SDR-Console stuttering/buffering issues in the hot sunshine while doing NOAA captures. poo poo. I’ll have to test it in the house and see. The CPU never really goes up very high though, so I don’t know.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
One of the deserted islands of the Svalbard archipelago*, Prince Charles Foreland is on the air as JW0W http://jw0w.no. I was able to work them on 40m SSB last night. They have six operators, and are running many bands. I hope to get more bands before thunderstorms might move in where I am on Monday.

* (they're all deserted except Spitsbergen and Bear Island)

Vir fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 24, 2021

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I got my very first QSL card from a german tourist visiting the radio club. International Comrades.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I have finally cracked LRPT thank gently caress. sometimes one decoder is better than another and your capture is actually fine. reported a bug to the SatDump developer though, so useful nonetheless.

July 23rd evening

July 24th evening

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

I'm still a bit amused by every contest exchange being RS "59" when the guy in the other end clearly struggles to pick up the callsign from the static crashes and QRM.

My call starts with LA9, so I've run out of ways of saying 9 on the air: "NIN-ER", "NEUN", "NOVE" etc. I say "nin-er" at first, because saying just "nine" is going to sound like "five" in like two times out of five. I'm tempted to say "no, no, negative call - you said 59, so take the last digit in '59' and substitute in my callsign" - but that level of sarcasm would be a bit much.

Big Mackson posted:

I got my very first QSL card from a german tourist visiting the radio club. International Comrades.
Cool. I remember first getting QSL cards as a short-wave listener only, and they are nice. Too bad it doesn't look like you can mix LotW with paper QSLs for awards any more(?)

Vir fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 25, 2021

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

doh that reminds me, my lotw card came and i still need to set that up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah, lol, you wanna piss some people off, give some 55 or 57 reports in a contest

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah, lol, you wanna piss some people off, give some 55 or 57 reports in a contest

does it actually affect the score in teh contest at all or is it just a break from repetitive flow and makes them think to write down a Different Number?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sniep posted:

does it actually affect the score in teh contest at all or is it just a break from repetitive flow and makes them think to write down a Different Number?

the latter, its not pertinent to scoring

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

And it can be easily be because of your own antenna.......but old man contesting culture is what it is.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

nothing is ham radio is pertinent to scoring

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Achmed Jones posted:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I hear that the Yaesu FT-992 will have a teledildonics port included on the front panel to help operators turn their radio shacks into whackshacks.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Achmed Jones posted:

thread title please

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Sniep posted:

If you submit a log, including a checklog (a log without claiming a score for yourself) the other station might theoretically get penalized if you gave a 57 and they wrote down 59. There is some leeway for busted callsigns and incorrect exchanges, so it would have to happen a lot for it to "matter", but if you get a 57, you have to write down a 57 so there. :colbert:

I'm not a big contester with my own callsign, but it's fun to give away some points to the clubs who make an effort out of it.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Is there anyone who would like to practice morse together?

I'm pretty good at sending - computerized decoders get most of what i send right at 12 to 15wpm with a straight key - but i keep failing at decoding morse in my head. The only way to get better at it is to actually do it, but i get nervous doing it on air, with people who just want a quick QSO and then be gone, or who i can't just DM or whatever.

My goal is to be able to be able to receive 15wpm reliably.

I can either get on air with 5ish watts on 80, 40 and 30m - or via Telegram or something. My location is near Amsterdam, on 80m in the evening my signal is decently strong at 200 to 500km distance. I've not been very succesful yet on 40/30m.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

LimaBiker posted:

I can either get on air with 5ish watts on 80, 40 and 30m - or via Telegram or something.

Oh, buddy, do I have something fun for you!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

ISS SSTV is back August 6/7.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PSA: .radio domains are 25 euros a year if you're registering your callsign. There are a few other ways to get the ~90% discount, but this is the one I care about

You need to go through register.radio to get the discount - all the other registrars i checked like Gandi only sell for the full-price 200-something euros/year.

register.radio makes you fill in your contact info for the various WHOIS contacts, but don't expose that information after registering - I emailed to ask because I didn't see a whois privacy thing during checkout.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

PSA: .radio domains are 25 euros a year if you're registering your callsign. There are a few other ways to get the ~90% discount, but this is the one I care about

You need to go through register.radio to get the discount - all the other registrars i checked like Gandi only sell for the full-price 200-something euros/year.

register.radio makes you fill in your contact info for the various WHOIS contacts, but don't expose that information after registering - I emailed to ask because I didn't see a whois privacy thing during checkout.

If you're registering your call sign why would you care about private whois contacts?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a lot of people are running the PO Box angle for their license these days

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

like me

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Motronic posted:

If you're registering your call sign why would you care about private whois contacts?

Spambots scrape WHOIS, which has phone + email. all they get if they scrape the FCC is my home address, which I could use a PO box for if I cared.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

anybody wanna buy me vail.radio? :)

e: don't anyone actually do this, please.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Achmed Jones posted:

oh hell yeah, thanks for this, had never even noticed before there was a radio tld

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Woohoo! Just bought a Yaesu FT-7. Sweet little analog mobile transceiver.

First impression: the sound quality is really nice. Quite a few radios have this somewhat harsh sound, but the FT-7 is smooth and very pleasant to listen to. It puts out the 10 watts it's supposed to put out.
Stability is a bit wonky, i can tell already that the vfo calibrate potentiometer on the front is scratchy, but when you don't touch it, it's a lot more stable than my FT-101.

Now i finally have something i can put in a backpack to escape the mountain of local noise that's strong enough to overload the input stages of comms receivers.

Someone on another forum was selling it. They had a FT-7b for 150 (already sold) and this one for 100 euro. Definitely not a bad deal, i think.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
stupid afternoon project

pi zero W
audioinjector pi hat (VERY nice, strong recommend. Don't gently caress around with USB sound dongles)
ancient yaesu ft-270RH on 5 watts
PTT on GPIO 26 via a 2n2222a and resistor
9-20V to 5V buck board

Whole thing is powered via a tap off the rig line. Only wires that need to go to the whole shebang are power and antenna. Very ham-can-able if I wanna do that.

it Just Works. Only hiccup was that I had to change the pins I tried on the mic plug for ptt and ground, as the manual gave the pinout from the front of the connector, not the back. Fortunately nothing shorted out during my first test.

Runs great, can connect to it with pinpoint APRS from my big desktop, getting out well and hearing everybody well.

Next steps are to get it running APRS-IS (instead of having to keep pinpoint up) and to set up digipeater functionality, then i'll be done.

A dumb but entertaining project.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone know anything about POCSAG?

I’ve got this transmitter, which windows 10 picks up and installs just fine, and this pager receiver but I can’t seem to find any software that will broadcast pocsag other than some raspberry pi project on GitHub.

Is this a case of I need the OEM software to do it?

I figured it would be fun to play with since it seems like straight serial over radio, you can intercept and decode it easily with a regular old rtl-usb stick

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone know anything about POCSAG?

I’ve got this transmitter, which windows 10 picks up and installs just fine, and this pager receiver but I can’t seem to find any software that will broadcast pocsag other than some raspberry pi project on GitHub.

Is this a case of I need the OEM software to do it?

I figured it would be fun to play with since it seems like straight serial over radio, you can intercept and decode it easily with a regular old rtl-usb stick

Cool! I managed to dig up the manual here: https://usermanual.wiki/Ototronix/EM-898B-1995250.pdf

Maybe the manufacturer will send you a .zip file if you ask nicely? IDK

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I did email them and we’ll see but I’m not holding my breath.

I was hoping someone had written some sort of universal pocsag TX software or something but I suppose this is pretty niche

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I'd be curious to see if you get any sort of command prompt if you connect to it with a serial terminal app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It appears as a regular USB device and not a serial or com port unfortunately