Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

inkmoth posted:

Well, now I actually kinda like the game... But I have no idea what character license to buy with gold. Is there some kind of free trial system to test a character against bots or something so I can see what character to get?

Yeah, if you go into the Pokemon menu you can select any of them and hit "practice" to try them out

In terms of recommendations, leaving out all the Pokemon that you'll get for free eventually - Gengar is the obvious choice due to being absolutely busted, but I don't know if you can count on that always being the case because he could get nerfed. Pikachu was a good first pick, he's real strong for an attacker. The biggest thing I'd say is the game doesn't give you any good all-rounders for free, so Machamp/Garchomp would be good to check out. Edelgoss is also a good pick, or Mr. Mime if you want a really fun attack/defense combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Slam picked Garchomp, yes. Want that Crustle tho. Soooon, at least.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm two games away from Veteran rank and I've been spamming Cinderace and Crustle

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Losing in ranked sucks.... can't tell if I'm awful, or my team is

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Losing in ranked feels kind of bad because the game seems so easy that it feels like you should always be able to carry. I’ve played a few matches where I’m holding bottom on my own against three of the other team, but unable to score. Sitting there with maxed out points and becoming more and more of a liability. I ping for help, fearing a jungler. Help never comes, they were all up top losing a 4v1 the entire time. Their jungler comes and kills me. We eventually surrender, I was the only one with any KOs.

Also surrendering before confirming Zapdos seems silly, Zapdos can usually swing a match pretty wildly.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Losing in ranked sucks.... can't tell if I'm awful, or my team is

You really have to drag your team kicking and screaming to the finish line in my experience. If your laning partner or jungler are bad and dive the goal and die, they feed away almost a whole level which hurts so bad to play against. If their jungler shows up, they also can probably force you 3v1 away from the goal and nab 3x scores of 30 points apiece, which is also devastating. Losing your outermost goal feels incredibly bad and the only way you're coming back is if the enemy do the thing I mentioned earlier where they just throw themselves at your middle goal and never actually score any points but just waste time and feed you EXP. Which, honestly, happens pretty often, which is why Crustle is nice, because he can prevent enemies from running away once they realize it's a lost cause.

That's why I'm REALLY trying to hit Veteran, hoping the match quality improves to a point where I don't have to perfect some sort of strategy where I just assume I'm playing from behind

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I ping for help, fearing a jungler. Help never comes, they were all up top losing a 4v1 the entire time.

Yeah this is the thing that drives me nuts. The enemy jungler turns the lane into a 2v3, we somehow still manage to hold onto the goal, then we look top and the enemy has Rotom and our outermost goal is gone

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 29, 2021

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah, what that one poster said earlier is true:: sometimes you have to go with whatever your team is done even if its a lovely plan. Like, for some reason the past couple of games my team decided to all push the bottom lane. And I'm like... is that really the best thing to do here? Enemies are scoring up top, and our team of 4 is being held off by an edelgoss and some other attacker. But it's like, what am I going to do? Go up top and hold off the entire enemy team by myself? Not likely

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The worst ranked lost I had was the other day, when I discovered that I guess if someone drops from the match, your exp share stops working? So I ended up having to farm up Eldegoss on my own and be worthless for a big chunk of the match. 4v5 was bad enough but it was more like 3v5

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

i just had one of the two enemy players alive in the last 30 seconds in the game visibly and obviously walk across the top of the map to score a 100 point goal while three of my teammates one by one jump padded from base down to the bottom where i already was holding off someone that didnt have any orbs just fine

we lost by 3 points

life is pain

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What the heck do you do with Crustle? I tried Shell Smash and X Scissor and it just kinda turned him into a bad fighter, one with a super slow autoattack and only one (admittedly strong) dash punch. And the Rock Tomb/Stealth Rock build felt like I was playing a bad Ninetails. I'm not sure why this guy's in the same class as Slowpoke and Snorlax if he barely has any CC, or why he's not allowed to have the damage of Ninetails if he's not really disrupting anyone.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Disjointed unpathable walling at will. Learn how to land those and have a good Machamp with you to exploit them and you will learn.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
X scissor stuns when it knocks someone into a wall. Combine with rock tomb to create that wall

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I tried out Wigglytuff after seeing some cute Rollout videos and uh, nope. The nursery rhyme singer gets absolutely stuffed in a number of matchups and outright deleted in the crossfire in a support role. Better support, aggressive melee, and partner-up distance attackers exist.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Rollout is incredibly funny and awesome and is fun to play but it's a bad skill compared to Sing.

Similarly, Shell Smash seems neat and useful but it's just not anywhere nearly as good as Rock Tomb where you can trap the enemies in jail and then X-scissor them for a really long stun

typhy posted:

i just had one of the two enemy players alive in the last 30 seconds in the game visibly and obviously walk across the top of the map to score a 100 point goal while three of my teammates one by one jump padded from base down to the bottom where i already was holding off someone that didnt have any orbs just fine

having a teammate just off doing something pointless while leaving the goals wide open is another massive pet peeve. Like, you really should have one person sitting on or within shooting distance of both of your open goals at all times

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MelvinBison posted:

Don't forget that CPU matches can count towards missions. It's surprisingly easy to get MVP against bots even as a support.

How do I do a cpu match? Is this the 1v1 rounds?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

okay finally

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Jerk McJerkface posted:

How do I do a cpu match? Is this the 1v1 rounds?
If you go to the button where it says Random Match above the Play button, you can change it to CPU or Friendly Match.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Sludge Bomb Hex not even remotely close never pick the other two skills

Items are probably Float Ball, the one that gives you SpAttack for doing dunks (just do six small dunks), and then either Rocky Helmet or Leftovers just for a little extra defense/HP/survivability

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq-1QGq2l4A

float stone is a 3% movement increase in combat, and the 20% doesn't kick in for 6 seconds which is absurdly long. gengar is also special and autos barely count on it so the attack boost isn't doing anything

most people run gengar with all three +spa items just for the sheer damage, even if scoring is hard early game

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I swear every single person keeps insisting that Float Stone is good and I just assumed there was some math on it I was missing. I saw a video of the movespeed increase out of combat and I was like "oh yeah I guess that is a lot" but six seconds out of combat sounds nuts, you're almost never attacking stuff for more than six seconds at a time

In that case yeah, it's probably Shell Bell, the SPAtt dunk item, and then Wise Glasses or Aeos Cookie/Assault Vest depending if you wanna go all-in on offense or spare some for defense

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
If the out of combat timer were 2 or 3 seconds float stone would be fine. The attack increase is significant.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I swear every single person keeps insisting that Float Stone is good and I just assumed there was some math on it I was missing. I saw a video of the movespeed increase out of combat and I was like "oh yeah I guess that is a lot" but six seconds out of combat sounds nuts, you're almost never attacking stuff for more than six seconds at a time

In that case yeah, it's probably Shell Bell, the SPAtt dunk item, and then Wise Glasses or Aeos Cookie/Assault Vest depending if you wanna go all-in on offense or spare some for defense

Wait though, there's also a hidden cooldown on Shell Bell! The lack of visible data is starting to annoy me quite a bit. Shell Bell and Rocky Helmet looked really good until you find out they only trigger once per fight usually. And I assumed the movespeed and attack made Float Stone good even if it took a while for the out-of-combat movespeed to kick in, but that's because I assumed 80 movespeed was significant... and according to that video Pokemon have like 3000 movespeed so 80 is basically nothing.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
So in short, Held items are basically worthless gacha traps?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no theyre insanely important gacha traps

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
not really gacha either. you can choose which ones to buy and upgrade them with a currency.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I thought the upgrade items came from rolls / buying them out right? Is there another way?

Also has it been calculated yet how important they are?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I actually made an intelligent play today, where I saw that two enemies were heading towards the top-mid goal each carrying 50 points, so I booked it up there to shove them off. We ended up winning by about 80 points, so that was the game saver.

Then again, I did completely duff it a minute prior by chasing down enemies far away from zapdos and dying while my team were actually taking zapdos, so I guess it all evens out

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I can't remember. there's too many currencies in this game. you get some for doing quests and challenges but I think you can buy some and get them from the gacha.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Pamela Springstein posted:

I can't remember. there's too many currencies in this game. you get some for doing quests and challenges but I think you can buy some and get them from the gacha.

It's the poorly named fashion tickets that you can exchange for item upgrade tokens, the same purple ticket currency you can use to buy the items themselves.

If you're out of fashion tickets and try to buy item upgrade tokens it'll offer to let you buy them with IAP gems 1:10 instead.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
What's the number in the circle next to score supposed to mean?

VVVV
Thanks

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 30, 2021

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
Its a commendation system. You can click on people after a match and give them a "Good Job", among other options.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

I thought the upgrade items came from rolls / buying them out right? Is there another way?

Also has it been calculated yet how important they are?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyRFGxncuAk

this streamer maxes out the phys dmg and the crit dmg ones and just rolls over everyone. but its hard to tell how much is the pay2win stuff and how much is just dunking on literal children

from my limited understanding of MOBA math those small bonuses tend to amount to a lot tho

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

babypolis posted:

this streamer maxes out the phys dmg and the crit dmg ones and just rolls over everyone. but its hard to tell how much is the pay2win stuff and how much is just dunking on literal children

from my limited understanding of MOBA math those small bonuses tend to amount to a lot tho

Yeah it legit seems broken. I’m having fun with this game but I don’t know how long this can last, not willing to spend hundreds of dollars to be competitive in the future

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

gay_crimes posted:

Yeah it legit seems broken. I’m having fun with this game but I don’t know how long this can last, not willing to spend hundreds of dollars to be competitive in the future

Isn't the point of ranked that eventually you'll settle at a level with comparable players?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Has anyone done any empirical testing on how much a float stone increases movespeed? Usually that's the kind of thing MOBA nerds pounce on, and it wouldn't be too hard to test with practice mode, though you'd have to start from a raw float stone and record every time you upgrade it.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

So uh, there's no way to see the score during the match right? I feel like that's intentional but also really weird.

Also, man, X-Attack. If you're not healing, it does a lot of good. Granted, I've only got a couple items unlocked so maybe it's better to use something later but if you're still messing around with potion on attacking pokemon, don't be like I was.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

inthesto posted:

Has anyone done any empirical testing on how much a float stone increases movespeed? Usually that's the kind of thing MOBA nerds pounce on, and it wouldn't be too hard to test with practice mode, though you'd have to start from a raw float stone and record every time you upgrade it.

From looking at a fair few threads on Reddit, the consensus seems to be that the +120 movespeed comes to about a 3% total movespeed bonus, which, yeah, is nothing. I can't find it anymore but I saw a video comparison and the 20% bonus is pretty significant and might be helpful for running to Zapdos, which is in and of itself very useful, but probably not worth it as a whole package.

Knowing what I now know, I think probably the best item for any character is probably Buddy Barrier and will be until they completely revamp Zapdos. Then, the attack/spattack bonus for scoring for any carry. Muscle Band for attackers, Wise Glasses for Special Attackers

Energy Amplifier might be insane, though. 20% damage boost after you ult? That's an awful loving lot. I would hate to play against a Cinderace with this and Buddy Barrier

inkmoth posted:

I've only got a couple items unlocked so maybe it's better to use something later

At my rank everyone uses Eject Button (blink dagger/flash from lol)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Listen buddy, Machamp has no disengage tool so you’d better believe I’m hitting that button.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

babypolis posted:

I'm not convinced he wouldn't have done just as well without spending a million dollars on it, that was day one and he was playing against bots, children, and people that didn't know how to play the game. If he was consistently doing it and master ranked now then maybe there's something to it

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The proper comparison to do would be between someone with level 30 items and someone with level 10 or 20, both of which are totally achievable without dropping a dime on the game. The stats between 20 and 30 in particular are very marginal and won't make any real difference, certainly not enough to overcome skill or tactical superiority.

The monetisation in the game is definitely on the aggressive side, but folks moaning about P2W are being reactionary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

homeless snail posted:

I'm not convinced he wouldn't have done just as well without spending a million dollars on it, that was day one and he was playing against bots, children, and people that didn't know how to play the game. If he was consistently doing it and master ranked now then maybe there's something to it

Yeah I agree. As much as I like crit he didn't play the game for nearly long enough without buying stuff to realize that, his huge advantage isn't from the items he bought, it's from being older than fifteen. Normals are a total joke and once he swapped over to ranked he started regularly losing to Great-level players. He kept saying "if you don't believe this games pay to win look at my 49-kill game" but he was playing in a five-stack vs bots. Remember the other day when I said you get matched vs bots if you lose three in a row, even in ranked? His five-stack was still losing enough to drop three matches in a row and get placed vs bots, which I guess did its job of un-tilting them.

Like, yes, on a fundamental level this game is pay 2 win, but the difference it makes isnt a big enough deal for me to care. I'm not gonna spend the next ten years playing this game every day and practicing mechanics and learning strats and map rotations, this is a slightly more complicated Mario Party. When I think of Pay2Win, I'm thinking of old Ragnarok Online private servers where if you spend 15$ a month you get a full set of custom armor with bonus stats and access to private MVP spawning rooms that will endlessly reappear while everyone else has to fight over Eddga which respawns once every two hours and has a .01% chance of dropping a card

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 30, 2021