Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Listen to these smug assholes cackling and guffawing as they try to loophole their way around a loving virus

https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/1420835241657241604

This time I'm on delta's side :kheldragar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1420852746966741007?s=20

Biden mandating the vaccine for all Americans would be the wildest possible move.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

LanceHunter posted:

Biden mandating the vaccine for all Americans would be the wildest possible move.

I'm very, very, very pro-vaccination but I am not in favor of any administration claiming this power. That's like a step or two away from President Donald Trump Jr. mandating hydroxychloroquine.

Anti-vax federal workers can get hosed. You want to work for Uncle Sam? Then you follow his rules.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We tried nothing and we're all out of ideas. Oh well!

..... and of course Texas saw that and went "Hold my beer ..."

https://twitter.com/mattlargey/status/1420848392515751945
https://twitter.com/mattlargey/status/1420850430041538568

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

LanceHunter posted:

I'm down for America Civil War 2: Virus Boogaloo

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

So either the federal government mandates vaccines for all workplaces OR states like Texas impose penalties for any COVID mitigation response at all?

Cool dichotomy.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I'm very, very, very pro-vaccination but I am not in favor of any administration claiming this power. That's like a step or two away from President Donald Trump Jr. mandating hydroxychloroquine.

Anti-vax federal workers can get hosed. You want to work for Uncle Sam? Then you follow his rules.

Yeah, I don't think the federal government really has an avenue to do this. It basically involves the executive branch inventing new powers unless we're talking about congress passing a law or amending the constitution. The latter is never happening. The former could happen, if you killed the filibuster, but is pretty toothless unless states voluntarily go along with it, just look at weed legalization where the federal government has even simple possession having up to 1 year of jail time for a first offense, but many states it's totally legal.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

stab posted:

I'm down for America Civil War 2: Virus Boogaloo

Public sector unions (firefighters, paramedics, etc) are already fighting hard against vaccine mandates even though there's exceptions and carve-outs such as weekly testing

quote:

N.Y.C. Union Leaders Say Mayor’s Covid Mandate Took Them by Surprise

Mayor Bill de Blasio’s declaration on Monday that more than 300,000 municipal workers in New York City must get vaccinated against the coronavirus or agree to weekly testing was an unwelcome surprise to many of the city’s municipal unions.

Unions representing a diverse city work force of firefighters and paramedics have come out against the mayor’s mandate.

Some unions have made demands: Exemptions for workers who have antibodies after recovering from Covid-19; workplace testing paid for by the city; overtime for workers who get tested outside work.

And just about every major union has argued that the mayor cannot unilaterally impose the mandate without first negotiating with labor leaders.

“The unions are really, really aggravated that the mayor sprung this on everybody,” said Harry Nespoli, the president of the sanitation workers’ union.

But Mr. de Blasio, a Democrat in his final year in office, expressed confidence on Tuesday that the city could legally require vaccination or testing for its workers, and that his administration would sort out how to implement the mandate with union leadership.

The opposition from unions — based in part in a general reluctance to force members, many of whom are Black and Latino, to get the vaccine — is more rooted in the logistics of offering vaccines or weekly tests, and the discipline for those who do not comply. For now, it seems unlikely that it could lead to lawsuits or strikes.

The threat to public workers who are not vaccinated was reinforced on Tuesday when the city’s police commissioner, Dermot Shea, said that five unvaccinated employees of the Police Department were in the hospital with the virus.

“When you look at who is getting sick right now, every story I hear anecdotally, it’s somebody that is not vaccinated,” Mr. Shea said in a television interview on NY1. “God forbid, you put yourself or your loved ones or anyone else at risk. It’s the right thing to do.”

The Police Department appears to have one of the lowest vaccination rates among city agencies. The department has administered the vaccine to 43 percent of workers, though other officers have likely received the vaccine on their own.

The city’s largest police union, the Police Benevolent Association, has so far declined to comment on the new mandate. Other unions have made their opposition clear: The firefighters’ union said the city should allow members who test positive for antibodies to receive exemptions from the mandate. The paramedics’ union said the city was disregarding its members’ civil liberties, and asked for overtime if workers must get tested outside of work hours.

“You’re going to have people that are going to resent it,” Mr. Nespoli said, adding that his sanitation workers — many of whom got sick as they kept working during the pandemic — took specific umbrage at the mayor’s threat that those who did not comply would be put on leave without pay.

“I was out in one of my garages yesterday and they’re saying, ‘What’s going on with this — if you don’t get the shot, they’re going to send you home?’” Mr. Nespoli said.

Oren Barzilay, the president of a union of emergency medical workers that opposes the mandate, said that some of his 4,300 members have expressed concerns about side effects or complications from the vaccine and about the U.S. Food and Drug Administration not yet giving full approval to any coronavirus vaccine.

“There’s so many questions unanswered,” he said. “How’s it going to be implemented? How are we going to get them tested? What happens to us if we have a side effect? It was just a blanket statement without any action plan.”

City workers had mixed reactions. Carlotta Pope, a high school English teacher in Brooklyn, is not yet vaccinated and is waiting until she can accompany her mother, who remains skeptical of the vaccine. Ms. Pope said she found the mayor’s announcement “bully-ish,” but she has no problem being tested weekly and thinks all employees should be subject to frequent testing.

“That may seem tedious,” she said, “but it still gives people a partial choice, to not back people into a corner” on vaccines.

“I’m happy to go back into the building regardless,” she added.

Stiven Taveras, 32, a New York City Housing Authority employee, said he had not heard of the city’s new rules as he collected garbage in Upper Manhattan on Tuesday. Though he wants to get vaccinated, he has not done it yet because he’s “too lazy,” especially after working 10-hour days.

Now, he thinks he and other workers will get vaccinated by September to avoid weekly tests.

“If you show both options, people are going to choose the easy one,” he said.

Timmy, a municipal worker who declined to give his last name, said he has been “wary” about getting the vaccine and worried about complications from the shot.

“I didn’t take it and I’m not going to take it,” he said, adding that city workers should be able to decide for themselves whether they want to get vaccinated, and the prospect of weekly testing would not change his mind.

“I’ll take a test every day if I have to,” he said.

Leaders of the city’s largest municipal union, District Council 37, had insisted on Monday that the new rules had to be part of collective bargaining negotiations, emphasizing that New York was still a “union town.”

John Samuelsen, the president of the transit workers’ union, said that his members have “diverse ideas about whether or not to get the vaccine.” He has heard from workers who already had Covid-19 and do not believe they need to get vaccinated. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said that people should get vaccinated even if they already had Covid-19 because experts do not know how long protection lasts after someone recovers.

“There are transit workers that have religious reasons, health reasons — it comes from several different angles,” Mr. Samuelsen said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/27/nyregion/vaccine-mandate-nyc-unions.html

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Here's a fun project: take the CDC's national forecast from July 19 which was projecting that the weekly cases by August 14 would be somewhere between 92,000 (best case scenario) and 803,000 (worst case scenario):

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1418311164472315907

..... and then overlay that with the updated reported averaged case number from July 20 to 27:

Oops, we already blew straight through that 95% prediction interval, their worst case scenario projection was too optimistic.

Whoooooooo it's new graphs day!!! Here's the CDC's updated projections for the rise in cases:
https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1420859710434054146

The graph was generated a few days ago so here's the last few days of data superimposed over it:

It's already proved itself to be overly optimistic yet again but it might fall within the 95% prediction interval this time, we'll just have to wait and see!!

Here's the model from last week juxtaposed against the new model so you can see how much higher it's leapt up the Y-axis:

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Public sector unions (firefighters, paramedics, etc) are already fighting hard against vaccine mandates even though there's exceptions and carve-outs such as weekly testing

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/27/nyregion/vaccine-mandate-nyc-unions.html

I have to say with no exaggeration that has to be the first time in my entire life that I disagreed on a union's stance on anything (other than the police union of whom I disagree with 100% of the time).

What a stupid loving move. I understand demands from workers should be part of contract negotiations but we're in the middle of a pandemic you loving imbeciles.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blooster posted:

I have to say with no exaggeration that has to be the first time in my entire life that I disagreed on a union's stance on anything (other than the police union of whom I disagree with 100% of the time).

What a stupid loving move. I understand demands from workers should be part of contract negotiations but we're in the middle of a pandemic you loving imbeciles.

There is a massive percentage of hospital/medical staff across the country who remain steadfastly unvaxxed and they all get to vote on the stance their unions take on this matter. It's no doubt the same across most other public sectors.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gov DeathSantis is making noises about blocking Broward County from being able to mandate masks in classrooms this fall. Schools start to open in under two weeks and earlier in the year the GOP state legislature basically stripped all local control for health emergencies and gave it to the governor's office, and that law went into effect this month. Only a matter of time before he goes after the bluer counties for trying to actually do something.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

China has proved this nicely in the last 20 years or so.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1420879343312674817?s=21

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Listen to these smug assholes cackling and guffawing as they try to loophole their way around a loving virus

Given the sheer size of Congress, the age distribution, and perhaps the distant date or inoculation, it’s pretty likely that one or more members will be hospitalized with a breakthrough infection if they keep acting like this.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yeah I’m super duper against this too.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Given the sheer size of Congress, the age distribution, and perhaps the distant date or inoculation, it’s pretty likely that one or more members will be hospitalized with a breakthrough infection if they keep acting like this.

At least one GOP congressman already died of covid this year.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The government shouldn’t literally force people to take anything.

However, people who refuse a coronavirus vaccine should be unwelcome from society up to and including being unable to enter grocery stores. The plague rats can get curbside pickup.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well this is going to give some interesting data

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Buy fake positive or negative vaccination results
Want to take a vacation? Buy a fake result and enjoy.
Florida
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4STKH0RIas

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Yesterday when I saw people whining on social media about the mask mandate which will require people in certain locations to wear a mask whenever they're outside, I felt really disheartened.

poo poo like this makes me realise how lucky we are that the vast majority of people are compliant with our public health orders and it's OK if they whine as long as they continue to comply.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

There is a massive percentage of hospital/medical staff across the country who remain steadfastly unvaxxed

This is the most surprising thing to me of the entire pandemic. For example these nurses they have to be seeing people dying suffering etc or hear it through the grapevine I've worked my whole life--- you know what's going on in a workplace.

And they're still refusing it that's genuinely troublesome to me. When I see statistics like 40% of people working in a healthcare system or whatever not vaxed. I'm vaxed and incredibly grateful that I am don't get me wrong.

But that remains to me the most disturbing statistic that I ever hear.
:jerry:

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

here's hoping we aren't entering into a Marek's Disease scenario...

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
We need to spread a conspiracy theory that, while covid isn't real, the covid vaccine is actually meant for the super disease the government is about to release next year to kill off all the free thinkers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

Marek’s disease would be better than what we have now.

Still awful for those who cannot take an effective vaccine, but at least the vaccine is highly protective.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Ugh, so I feel like I am losing a battle. My wife wants to take our three young kids to a water park tomorrow. I told her it's a terrible idea, but my kids have been literally nowhere for almost two years now. My oldest said it's all she wanted for her graduation present and is being relentless about how bad she wants to go.

I put my foot down and stood firm last week when they were supposed to go to a birthday party at an indoor bounce palace place. I felt like such a ghoul but the idea of these filthy slides that some kid just went down 2 seconds earlier, coupled with being inside, made me feel too uneasy and I was able to convince my wife not to take them (she despises anti-maskers). But she's telling me that the water park should be OK because the slides aren't dry with the filth of other kids and it isn't indoors.

I am trying to not be the bad guy so maybe someone here smarter than I am can reassure me: is the fact that there's constant running water at this place a good thing or bad thing for catching covid? I would assume it's way better than slides you'd find at a regular park or inside a McDonald's Playland, but for all I know coronavirus can thrive in water and my kid touching water some infected kid just touched could spread it to them; I have no idea.

Basically I will most likely jump off a tall building if one of my kids develops longcovid and lifelong complications from it. Is a water park a really, really bad idea? Or am I being too fretful?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I think the situation in the chud states is about to become a whole lot loving worse because chuds are ultimately extremely selfish people.

It’s gonna be like when the supermarkets were overflowed with people trying to buy toilet paper except the hospital system.

If they’re worried they might need the hospital in a few days they are going to loving go now and act extra sick.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

Has the CDC not previously acknowledged that, because here one of the pro-vaccination messages is that vaccination greatly reduces the likelihood of you transmitting Delta to others.

Blooster posted:

I am trying to not be the bad guy so maybe someone here smarter than I am can reassure me: is the fact that there's constant running water at this place a good thing or bad thing for catching covid? I would assume it's way better than slides you'd find at a regular park or inside a McDonald's Playland, but for all I know coronavirus can thrive in water and my kid touching water some infected kid just touched could spread it to them; I have no idea.

Basically I will most likely jump off a tall building if one of my kids develops longcovid and lifelong complications from it. Is a water park a really, really bad idea? Or am I being too fretful?

Are your kids old enough to wear masks and swimming goggles?

Lolie fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 30, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Spinz posted:

This is the most surprising thing to me of the entire pandemic. For example these nurses they have to be seeing people dying suffering etc or hear it through the grapevine I've worked my whole life--- you know what's going on in a workplace.

And they're still refusing it that's genuinely troublesome to me. When I see statistics like 40% of people working in a healthcare system or whatever not vaxed. I'm vaxed and incredibly grateful that I am don't get me wrong.

But that remains to me the most disturbing statistic that I ever hear.
:jerry:

A large number of medical staff couldn’t give the slightest gently caress about their patients

This is especially true for those in nursing homes

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Blooster posted:

Ugh, so I feel like I am losing a battle. My wife wants to take our three young kids to a water park tomorrow. I told her it's a terrible idea, but my kids have been literally nowhere for almost two years now. My oldest said it's all she wanted for her graduation present and is being relentless about how bad she wants to go.

I put my foot down and stood firm last week when they were supposed to go to a birthday party at an indoor bounce palace place. I felt like such a ghoul but the idea of these filthy slides that some kid just went down 2 seconds earlier, coupled with being inside, made me feel too uneasy and I was able to convince my wife not to take them (she despises anti-maskers). But she's telling me that the water park should be OK because the slides aren't dry with the filth of other kids and it isn't indoors.

are your kid vaccinated because if they aren't your wife is endangering them. if they are, she still might be.

take your eldest aside and tell her that you guys can go to the water park as soon as it's safe. I don't know how old this kid is, but help her understand that being there might hurt her, her siblings, you, her mom, or friends, or grandparents. that by dealing with not going, she's taking care of her loved ones as best that she can and that they love her for it. that you do. sow compassion. sow understanding.

I mean hell I was kind of going "well, maybe" and casually planning a trip to disney because I'm fully vaccinated but whew I am almost certainly not going now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FlamingLiberal posted:

Gov DeathSantis is making noises about blocking Broward County from being able to mandate masks in classrooms this fall. Schools start to open in under two weeks and earlier in the year the GOP state legislature basically stripped all local control for health emergencies and gave it to the governor's office, and that law went into effect this month. Only a matter of time before he goes after the bluer counties for trying to actually do something.

Yep, he's already making moves:
https://twitter.com/anaceballos_/status/1420885581610037249

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blooster posted:

I am trying to not be the bad guy so maybe someone here smarter than I am can reassure me: is the fact that there's constant running water at this place a good thing or bad thing for catching covid? I would assume it's way better than slides you'd find at a regular park or inside a McDonald's Playland, but for all I know coronavirus can thrive in water and my kid touching water some infected

“Filthy slides” are a red herring. The virus is airborne or effectively so. The problem is inhaling contaminated air far more than anything you could touch.

I’ve seen both sides of the humidity question argued.

Perhaps low humidity is good because respiratory droplets quickly evaporate and expose the bare virus, shortening its half-life.

The other side argues that high humidity is desirable because you want those droplets to stay full and heavy so they are more likely to drift to the ground or get caught in filters.

There are also physiological effects at play. It is believed that the drying out of the human respiratory tract in winter makes us more susceptible to pathogens.

The way I see it, regardless of humidity effects, the water park is especially risky because they’ll be sharing air with a lot of unvaccinated folk (anyone under twelve years of age) and it is impossible to wear a mask.

The only comfort you can take is that that millions of people do similarly ill-advised things on a daily basis and have thus far escaped infection.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Lolie posted:

Are your kids old enough to wear masks and swimming goggles?

Yes, though my 3 year old will probably rip them off and I don't know how masks would really work in a swimming pool.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

are your kid vaccinated because if they aren't your wife is endangering them. if they are, she still might be.

take your eldest aside and tell her that you guys can go to the water park as soon as it's safe. I don't know how old this kid is, but help her understand that being there might hurt her, her siblings, you, her mom, or friends, or grandparents. that by dealing with not going, she's taking care of her loved ones as best that she can and that they love her for it. that you do. sow compassion. sow understanding.

I mean hell I was kind of going "well, maybe" and casually planning a trip to disney because I'm fully vaccinated but whew I am almost certainly not going now.

Yeah they are too young to be vaccinated. Ugh, this sucks. I am going to be the worst dad ever lol.

Platystemon posted:

“Filthy slides” are a red herring. The virus is airborne or effectively so. The problem is inhaling contaminated air far more than anything you could touch.

I’ve seen both sides of the humidity question argued.

Perhaps low humidity is good because respiratory droplets quickly evaporate and expose the bare virus, shortening its half-life.

The other side argues that high humidity is desirable because you want those droplets to stay full and heavy so they are more likely to drift to the ground or get caught in filters.

There are also physiological effects at play. It is believed that the drying out of the human respiratory tract in winter makes us more susceptible to pathogens.

The way I see it, regardless of humidity effects, the water park is especially risky because they’ll be sharing air with a lot of unvaccinated folk (anyone under twelve years of age) and it is impossible to wear a mask.

The only comfort you can take is that that millions of people do similarly ill-advised things on a daily basis and have thus far escaped infection.

Yeah I keep telling her outdoor stuff isn't safe. The Sturgis bike rally was one of the biggest super spreader events in the USA and it was entirely outdoors.

Time to be lovely Dad I guess! :sigh:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I can't imagine how tough your decision is.

It's going to be packed with unvaccinated people that is super bad. The only way I think you let them go is if you feel you have no choice and down the road you can keep them out of being inside buildings unmasked.

That's way worse. I don't have kids though I can't even really speak to these horrible nightmarish decisions you're having to make. There's also the marriage to consider.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/cleavon_md/status/1420617969202302976?s=21

another report about kids in ICUs

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Lmfao. My job is starting next week. Requiring weekly tests regardless of you are fully vaccinated or not.

This is for a medical logistics company. And I could not be happier.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Explain to me like I’m 5 - aren’t vaccines mandatory for babies? why is this wrong for this vaccine, is it because the vaccine is too new, unproven?

I understand it’s a big deal to mandate something for Red Blooded Free Americans, but I’ve heard stories of measles vaccinators going door to door and injecting people in their own home etc

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Explain to me like I’m 5 - aren’t vaccines mandatory for babies?

No they're not. They're recommended, and mandated by individual states for public schooling, etc. But no Federal mandate, nor power to do so, exists.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Katamari Democracy posted:

Lmfao. My job is starting next week. Requiring weekly tests regardless of you are fully vaccinated or not.

This is for a medical logistics company. And I could not be happier.

congrats on the job man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Explain to me like I’m 5 - aren’t vaccines mandatory for babies? why is this wrong for this vaccine, is it because the vaccine is too new, unproven?

No.