Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Ripper Swarm posted:

Phoneposting or I'd link some: there's mods out there that add more factions that can show up on the tactical map.
This ends up with some missions turning 4 way fights between XCOM, Advent, the Lost and then bandits/rogue chrysalids/chaos space marines/etc.
Not very balanced, pretty fun tho!

I installed some SCP factions and sometimes I get like three different groups of them, it's nuts. some of those AI turns get pretty long once there's like five groups all shooting at each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

redreader posted:

I want to play Xcom 2: wotc again but I already finished it on normal and then classic (professional? I can't remember) and got a little burned out by the end a couple of years ago. I want to play it again and for it to be fun. I don't think Long War sounds like a good time. Any fun mod recommendations? The changes don't have to be particularly big or game-breaking.

If you haven't played with it, I cannot recommend the 'Yellow Alert' series ( Yellow Alert 2.0, Raiders and Resistance Spawning and Dynamic Encounter Zones) enough, with Raider Factions. The entire map can turn into a running brawl of different fights.

Otherwise, yeah, the Proficiency Pack classes, maybe a few enemy mods (I suggest checking out things made by MrShadowCX, or the Creative Xenos team, incluing The Hive), maybe A Better Advent as suggested by others. ABA is a little more involved than most mods, especially with their 'Prime' Aliens who all have a less dangerous version of ruler reactions that trigger on damage.

EDIT: Oh and the Stormrider class.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 29, 2021

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198080760796/myworkshopfiles/?section=collections&appid=268500 I have a few suggestions

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BlazetheInferno posted:

Go for one of the class revamps, and something like A Better Advent, or other mods that adds new enemies to the mix. The Hive is interesting for adding a buttload of Chryssalids of various types to the game.

For class revamps, the Long War classes are available as a separate mod, or the Proficiency classes are a popular setup.

Amalgamation classes are a great idea imo

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ah, my first try with the randomizer mod. It actually made aliens pretty easy because all of their weapons are almost entirely worthless. The most dangerous weapon they can carry is the rifle. Sectoids, however, have sectopod level armor.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's not in any way balanced at all, but it can be pretty fun to see what stupid combinations it puts out. I'm a big fan of that 2% TU cost snap.

Also 1 TU / energy recruits... gotta sack em all.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

FrickenMoron posted:

It's not in any way balanced at all, but it can be pretty fun to see what stupid combinations it puts out. I'm a big fan of that 2% TU cost snap.

Also 1 TU / energy recruits... gotta sack em all.

Oh, i know, i just enjoy the absurdity. And yeah you just gotta fire all those 10 TU people. Yes, your firing accuracy is 137 but unfortunately you can't actually move.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Captain Foo posted:

Amalgamation classes are a great idea imo

Agreed, it's a very interesting randomizer for your soldiers' classes. Doesn't work for me though, I play with a character pool of characters I know well, and sometimes I just need to have them as their proper class, or something fitting. Mods like Amalgamation Classes don't allow for that, it's random or nothing. I actually have trouble with RPGO for similar reasons, as you either have to manually choose everyone's class... or randomize everyone. There is no way that I know of to do both in one campaign, otherwise I'd love RPGO, aside from the soldier-maintenance getting tedious.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

BlazetheInferno posted:

Agreed, it's a very interesting randomizer for your soldiers' classes. Doesn't work for me though, I play with a character pool of characters I know well, and sometimes I just need to have them as their proper class, or something fitting. Mods like Amalgamation Classes don't allow for that, it's random or nothing. I actually have trouble with RPGO for similar reasons, as you either have to manually choose everyone's class... or randomize everyone. There is no way that I know of to do both in one campaign, otherwise I'd love RPGO, aside from the soldier-maintenance getting tedious.

commanders choice and second wave options for RPGO might help. the way I run it it's something like this:

rookie ranks up
i get to choose either a regular class or the RPGO "soldier" class
if I take RPGO, I pick two "background" perks, and then three of the class lines from RPGO.
they then get locked in to those lines and level up as normal and pick from those.

So as an example in my current game I have Crono from Chrono Trigger set up with I wanna say two lines dealing with swords and his third one is something that gives him electric skills. One of them even gave him a move that spins around and swords stuff in a few-space cluster, it's rad. I've got some Mega Man characters set up with Bulletmeister class lines so it's like they can switch weapons. Now even classes are dress up. :getin:

It's a good balance between locked in classes and full blown RPGO pick from anything. You can configure how many lines you can pick per character and whatnot as well. There's a few limitations and fiddly quirks to it and resetting via console commands doesn't work quite how I'd like it to but it makes for a fun game where you may try out new things/combinations of things. Some protips: if you're playing with RPGO Jedi, you gotta take force user as a background perk. Also if you want ripjacks you need to get reckoning.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

BlazetheInferno posted:

I mean if you're willing to do the legwork, which I'll admit is already asking a fair amount, you could build a class for each unique character and then use WOTC Use My Class to ensure that they are given the correct class and the others are randomised. It doesn't require mod tools or anything. But again, it is a hard sell.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

What the gently caress is this 2k launcher thing and why has it eaten my old WotC saves

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

victrix posted:

What the gently caress is this 2k launcher thing and why has it eaten my old WotC saves

Why, it's a means to alert you to the other fine videogaming products 2K offers. Surely you'll agree that's more important than old saves?

:ssh: Use the Alternative Mod Launcher

Veotax
May 16, 2006

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1424445310219268097

Well, this sounds more promising to me. If you're not controlling Iron Man or Captain America or whatever but instead random/player created heroes then there is a good chance the game will have perma-death like Xcom.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

City of Heroes XCOM sounds pretty rad tbh

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Are we gonna get Agent Coulson in a green sweater

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Yeah I was very not down with the idea of XCOM avengers or whatever, but this sounds good. The XCOM dudes effectively have superpowers already.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Veotax posted:

Well, this sounds more promising to me. If you're not controlling Iron Man or Captain America or whatever but instead random/player created heroes then there is a good chance the game will have perma-death like Xcom.

Yeah, that changes everything. I think we all have varying degrees of superhero fatigue, but there's a lot of goofy things you could do with free rein in the Marvel universe.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 9, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
expect to see a lot of soft serve.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

blizzardvizard posted:

City of Heroes XCOM sounds pretty rad tbh

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I swear somebody tried to do randomized superhero XCOMlike back in the isometric days. Can't remember if it was around the time of Fallout 1 or 2. Not a big time cape company behind it, but not totally without a license.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

What's even the point of the Marvel license? They could do this without it, surely?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Was there an announcement video somewhere?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

According to that article it's unannounced, so probs not

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Chairchucker posted:

What's even the point of the Marvel license? They could do this without it, surely?

A few years ago when they bought the license they assumed it would print money.

Square/CD avengers proved that wrong.

Here, im still not sure. Who are they targetting? Hardcore XCOM fans? Casual fans who play on Rookie/Vet and savescum? Funko-collecting Marvel megafans?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Possibly people that liked an experience like Chimera Squad. Did we ever hear how well it did?

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
In non-superhero news, looks like a fairly big XCOM 2 overhaul mod came out over the weekend

Covert Infiltration
(plus the submods linked in the required items section)

From the description, this makes some very intriguing changes to the strategy layer. For most missions, you have to infiltrate squads into position ahead of time with the longer you take in the prep stage giving more bonuses in the tactical stage. But there are still missions that show up needing immediate response, so if all your good people are committed you have to either take it on with whoever's around or blow an op you're prepping to bring the deployed squad back. This also adds some new 'disguise' armour types that make the prep phase easier but aren't as good for fighting in.

One of the sub-mods brings back the OG XCOM 'build guns/armour one by one' as opposed to the XCOM 2 style 'upgrade all your assault rifles to laser guns at once', while another introduces an upgradeable limit on how many troopers you can have on the Avenger. Looks like the design goal is to make you really think about where you commit your forces, ie do one mission with a really well kitted out squad, or split up the veterans and good guns into two weaker squads and try and get two missions done?

Could be really good if they've pulled it off and I'm definitely interested in putting it in for my next campaign. Anyone tried it out yet and got any thoughts?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Ripper Swarm posted:

From the description, this makes some very intriguing changes to the strategy layer. For most missions, you have to infiltrate squads into position ahead of time with the longer you take in the prep stage giving more bonuses in the tactical stage. But there are still missions that show up needing immediate response, so if all your good people are committed you have to either take it on with whoever's around or blow an op you're prepping to bring the deployed squad back.

So you basically need to have a QRF ready at all times? That sounds pretty interesting.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Kokoro Wish posted:

Possibly people that liked an experience like Chimera Squad. Did we ever hear how well it did?

They barely talked about it or even updated it. It'd make sense that the team that made Chimera Squad did it as proof of concept for Marvel XCOM though. Meanwhile, Jake and crew could be doing XCOM 3 things. It's probably wishful thinking, but that'd mean two XCOMs in the near future.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Will Marvel XCom feature supers fighting an alien invasion, or just supers fighting other supers?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Rumour is that it's going to be about fighting the supernatural, so maybe vampires, other dimensional beings and the like?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
"XCom, except your guys are B-list nobody superheroes and they're fighting vampires or some poo poo" is such an incoherently weird central concept that it actually kinda owns tbh

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Veotax posted:

Rumour is that it's going to be about fighting the supernatural, so maybe vampires, other dimensional beings and the like?

Blade and Ghostrider are finally getting their dues :getin:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Marvel vampires are great fodder to go against. Actually getting some real supernatural/magical poo poo to fight against could be pretty fun and a fresh change from the endless barrage of hydra/robots/aliens we get when it comes to Marvel games.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

It'll be hard autopsying vampires that explode into dust when they die.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Donnerberg posted:

With no explanation, bring back Vahlen for marvel XCOM as your chief torturer i mean interrogation/autopsy officer.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

Well you can't exactly vivisect them.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I wonder what narrative reason they'll come up with to explain why you wouldn't just speed dial the Avengers to take care of whatever the new threat/enemy happens to be. Maybe "uh, they're all out of town" or "uh, they've all been kidnapped." Something compelling like that.

I think the main advantage to having the license other than being able to name drop all the characters is that they can use powers and likenesses without having to come up with generic knock-offs. Like, you can give one of your guys Stark tech or Wolverine's healing thing, or they can wear bits of Captain America's uniform or something similar. And as someone who was really skeptical that the Marvel universe could provide a satisfying Xcom experience, this one simple change has really turned me around on it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

habituallyred posted:

I swear somebody tried to do randomized superhero XCOMlike back in the isometric days. Can't remember if it was around the time of Fallout 1 or 2. Not a big time cape company behind it, but not totally without a license.

Are you thinking of Freedom Force? That was a bit later and more like an ARPG iirc.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kalko posted:

I wonder what narrative reason they'll come up with to explain why you wouldn't just speed dial the Avengers to take care of whatever the new threat/enemy happens to be. Maybe "uh, they're all out of town" or "uh, they've all been kidnapped." Something compelling like that.

I think the main advantage to having the license other than being able to name drop all the characters is that they can use powers and likenesses without having to come up with generic knock-offs. Like, you can give one of your guys Stark tech or Wolverine's healing thing, or they can wear bits of Captain America's uniform or something similar. And as someone who was really skeptical that the Marvel universe could provide a satisfying Xcom experience, this one simple change has really turned me around on it.

Avengers are ignoring your calls because you’re just a bunch of schmucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Marvel vampires are great fodder to go against. Actually getting some real supernatural/magical poo poo to fight against could be pretty fun and a fresh change from the endless barrage of hydra/robots/aliens we get when it comes to Marvel games.

poo poo, Dracula just took over Chernobyl as a sovereign vampire territory, that's a solid video game premise right there. You've also got the Mindless Ones, all sorts of demons from all sorts of hells, and you can still use aliens in the Brood.