Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Fish of hemp posted:

Everything on the prequels changes for the better when you take the perspective that Lucas is taking the piss out of all the loudmouthed fans.

:allears:: Wow, Darth Vader must have always been a cool bad rear end space warrior!

:haw:: No he wasn't, he was a whiny kid who was way over his head.

I mean, normally I'd be on board with that, but Lucas' approach is just so dishwater dull that the prequels are basically only worth watching for the SFX and nothing else (and even that depends on whether you enjoy watching a massive amount of CGI splashed on the screen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Splicer posted:

Oh wow this is extremely good stuff. The only thing it kind of leaves on the table is why on earth did the queen lay a queen egg for Ripley when two regular alien eggs would have been absolutely better?

I like the assembly cut of Alien 3 A LOT but even that version the whole opening just makes no drat sense.

IIRC in the script when they see it on the scanner it's said to have the larger head crest a queen has but in every release version of the movie she just knows somehow.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I always just assumed they were like bees. If there's no queen, they raise a new one.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The one on the scanner does have a bit of a head crest. I swear I’ve seen photos of ADI’s prop that was used for the CAT scan scene, but I’m having trouble finding them.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Ghostnuke posted:

I always just assumed they were like bees. If there's no queen, they raise a new one.

That was kinda my thinking too.
Or like, the Jurrassic park scenario where they're all female, but frog DNA lets some of them become male so they can breed.
So like, if there's 10 Xenomorphs and no queen, one will eventually transform into a queen.

Life.... finds a way....

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Fish of hemp posted:

Everything on the prequels changes for the better when you take the perspective that Lucas is taking the piss out of all the loudmouthed fans.

:allears:: Wow, Darth Vader must have always been a cool bad rear end space warrior!

:haw:: No he wasn't, he was a whiny kid who was way over his head.

That's kind of why I liked Rogue One (despite it's many flaws). It was kind of a prequel, but the story didn't have a whole lot to do with the main trilogy other than it was mentioned in a throwaway line, so it was telling a story that was adjacent to the trilogy story, but didn't have enough to do with it that it ruined the mystique. (Plus it gave us Rampage Vader). And it didn't involve a whole bunch of established characters being put in situations that you already knew they were going to get out of because duh, they can't die in the prequel.
I mean, sure, you know they succeed because otherwise the rebellion wouldn't have the Death Star plans and all that, but you didn't know who, if anyone was going to survive.

I would rather see more Star Wars, or Alien adjacent stories than straight prequels/sequels.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 29, 2021

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Jay_Zombie posted:

That's kind of why I liked Rogue One (despite it's many flaws). It was kind of a prequel, but the story didn't have a whole lot to do with the main trilogy other than it was mentioned in a throwaway line, so it was telling a story that was adjacent to the trilogy story, but didn't have enough to do with it that it ruined the mystique. (Plus it gave us Rampage Vader). And it didn't involve a whole bunch of established characters being put in situations that you already knew they were going to get out of because duh, they can't die in the prequel.
I mean, sure, you know they succeed because otherwise the rebellion wouldn't have the Death Star plans and all that, but you didn't know who, if anyone was going to survive.

I would rather see more Star Wars, or Alien adjacent stories than straight prequels/sequels.

We did know that Manny Bothans was going to die though.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jay_Zombie posted:

That was kinda my thinking too.
Or like, the Jurrassic park scenario where they're all female, but frog DNA lets some of them become male so they can breed.
So like, if there's 10 Xenomorphs and no queen, one will eventually transform into a queen.

Life.... finds a way....

That was the absolute fuckin dumbest part of JP.

SOME frogs can change gender in certain circumstances and you goddamn morons couldn't bother to do the homework?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SilvergunSuperman posted:

SOME frogs can change gender in certain circumstances and you goddamn morons couldn't bother to do the homework?
That was kind of the point though - John Hammond’s park cut a ton of corners and didn’t think anything through, despite Hammond repeatedly saying he “spared no expense”. He underpaid his IT to the point that they actively sabotaged his park, the guests could override the safety bars on the introduction ride, the tour cars didn’t have locks on the doors, there was no way to get some of the dinosaurs to be visible to the guests during the tour, the park had random poisonous plants for the dinosaurs to eat that were chosen because they “looked good”, the raptors were dangerous to the point that they had to be kept in special containment where the guests couldn’t even see them, and the park failsafes weren’t tested to see if switching them off wouldn’t cause a catastrophic system failure. Of course his geneticists half-assed their job and didn’t think it through.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenomrph posted:

That was kind of the point though - John Hammond’s park cut a ton of corners and didn’t think anything through, despite Hammond repeatedly saying he “spared no expense”. He underpaid his IT to the point that they actively sabotaged his park, the guests could override the safety bars on the introduction ride, the tour cars didn’t have locks on the doors, there was no way to get some of the dinosaurs to be visible to the guests during the tour, the park had random poisonous plants for the dinosaurs to eat that were chosen because they “looked good”, the raptors were dangerous to the point that they had to be kept in special containment where the guests couldn’t even see them, and the park failsafes weren’t tested to see if switching them off wouldn’t cause a catastrophic system failure. Of course his geneticists half-assed their job and didn’t think it through.
The film screwed it up by trying to make Hammond a sympathetic figure. The book is a lot more explicit about him being Dinosaurs Elon Musk. Book John Hammond would absolutely have removed safety markings because he didn't like yellow.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Xenomrph posted:

Eh I dunno, I liked ‘Solo’ :shobon:

For as much as I complain about it being Han's Best Weekend EVAR!®, I'd personally put it in my top half, third, I dunno... of those crazy Star Wars. I would also KILL to see the Lord Miller cut/version, like thinking about what could have been if they had let Neill Blomkamp loose on Alienses.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’d love to see Blomkamp direct a straight adaptation of Aliens Labyrinth, I think he’d knock that out of the park.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Sunswipe posted:

I think the xenos having evolved somewhere is a far more terrifying thought. What sort of ecosystem would produce something like that? What sort of defenses have the other species on that planet developed? What if xenomorphs aren't the top of the food chain on that planet? These all seem to me to lead to far more interesting film possibilities than Ridley Scott's half-assed ruminations on gods.

Read Octavia Butler's short story Bloodchild, it's basically an examination of the intermixed familial structures of human colonists and the sentient parasitic centipedes that use them for hosts

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Has there ever been a good prequel?

Temple of Doom is the best I can come up with, and most people fuckin hate that movie.

Fast 5

:colbert:

Also Better Call Saul if we're including TV.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh yeah, Final Destination 5, too.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

Did they though? I haven't seen it in a while, but I don't remember there being a whole lot of these guys hanging around.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

it's way dumber than you think. they took that line "many bothans died" and turned it into an actual character "Manny Bothans"

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Splicer posted:

The film screwed it up by trying to make Hammond a sympathetic figure. The book is a lot more explicit about him being Dinosaurs Elon Musk. Book John Hammond would absolutely have removed safety markings because he didn't like yellow.

My favorite part of the book was "blowing up Velociraptors with goddamn rocket launchers instead of ineffectively shooting at them with a 12 gauge which is then discarded because smarty pants PHD Dr. Grant is too stupid to clear a simple stovepipe malfunction".

And also when Hammond gets eaten

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 29, 2021

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment
I don't think Michael Fassbender can really palm a basketball

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

it's way dumber than you think. they took that line "many bothans died" and turned it into an actual character "Manny Bothans"

Ahhhh, that's some good Star Wars'n right there.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 29, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ghostnuke posted:

To be fair they did that in one of the intentional-joke Tag & Bink comics.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

AFewBricksShy posted:

That upset me about Rogue One because instead of Bothans dying to get the plans it was a white girl. :shrug:

I got an email yesterday from RedBubble (shirt place) saying that the order I placed a few weeks ago never went through. I forgot about it. Well they sent me a 15% off code so I reordered a Nostromo shirt and a WY Building Better Worlds shirt. :)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That upset me about Rogue One because instead of Bothans dying to get the plans it was a white girl. :shrug:

A white girl stole the first DeathStar plans, Bothans stole the plans for the second one in Return of the Jedi.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

wontondestruction posted:

I don't think Michael Fassbender can really palm a basketball

Remember when Ripley 8 caught a basketball one handed without even spreading her fingers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0GNKQQPHNU&t=78s
I mean, I got giant rear end bananas hands, and I can palm a basketball pretty easily, but not without spreading my fingers and thumb way out.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

To star wars' limited credit, that character is a parody character in a comic: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Manuel_Both-Hanz

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jay_Zombie posted:

Remember when Ripley 8 caught a basketball one handed without even spreading her fingers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0GNKQQPHNU&t=78s
I mean, I got giant rear end bananas hands, and I can palm a basketball pretty easily, but not without spreading my fingers and thumb way out.
Not nearly as good as her over the shoulder basketball shot.

https://youtu.be/FF44YvDVP8Y

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

A white girl stole the first DeathStar plans, Bothans stole the plans for the second one in Return of the Jedi.

Ah, forgot it was the 2nd one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

All of David's research into Shaw and human/alien hybrid and birth was so he could palm a basketball without spreading his fingers but it took hundreds of years for human technology to catch up to his vision in Alien Resurrection.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Of course, I've read all of them. :v:

It's been a long time since I read them so I'm not sure how well they hold up nowadays, but they're all pretty neat and bring different stuff to the table depending on what you're looking for.

Criminal Enterprise is pretty cool, and No Exit is great until the last like 1/5 of the book where the author says "Oh poo poo, I have a deadline to meet!" and just.... ends the book. It's not even a cliffhanger or anything, it's just a super-sloppy and unsatisfying ending.

I'm a huge fan of Labyrinth (the comic), but the novel is solid and will make do in a pinch.

Just finished Criminal Enterprise. I like that one a lot!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mutant Headcrab posted:

I've been assembling plastic aliens from the boardgame. Thinking about aliens as I'm building aliens.

I built the marines first. Naturally I was thinking of the aliens that would kill most of them the whole time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Not nearly as good as her over the shoulder basketball shot.

https://youtu.be/FF44YvDVP8Y

Yeah but she actually did that. The awkward closed fingered palm catch... I don't think she actually did that.

Pearlman's face tho..... big stupid grin and then..... "I hosed up!".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Did anyone say Rise/Dawn/War of/for The Planet of the Apes yet?

Those are good prequels

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Those are good prequels

Apes together.... strong.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Lysine contingency is dumber :colbert:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Lysine contingency is dumber :colbert:

ok, but they hosed that up too lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Those are good prequels

Those movies own, the more I think about it the more I'm surprised Hollywood dropped second and third installments that were so good.

I appreciated how like the old movies, they could have each dealt with the exact same themes over and over again but each one does approaches the material differently and brings new stuff to the table without ever feeling unfocused.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

ive always been bad at recognizing actors from one film to another but im watching t2 and i just realized the mom is vasquez from aliens

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Maya Fey posted:

ive always been bad at recognizing actors from one film to another but im watching t2 and i just realized the mom is vasquez from aliens

She also plays one of the Irish third-class passengers in ‘Titanic’.
James Cameron likes reusing actors. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Has anyone in the comics or novels etc., ever gotten face-hugged and produced twins? Triplets? Some kinda octo-mom poo poo but xenos?