Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

mod sassinator posted:

imagine how much better we would be if the government spent the last year retrofitting school ventilation, adding fans and air filters, etc. using a corp of newly hired public works folks who were formerly unsafe wage slaves

Hey, Elon Musk (PBUH) sent "ventilators"! The government tried everything they could!

https://www.ft.com/content/dfc197c2-61ed-4cd6-8cb4-0ac865a47e69

FT posted:

You might also be surprised to see there, on top of the boxes, not a ventilator, but a BPAP (Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure, also called a “BiPAP” machine), which is used to treat sleep apnoea by maintaining a consistent breathing pattern at night (it’s very similar to a CPAP machine, but it has two pressure settings rather than just one).

Now BPAP and CPAP machines are sometimes called “non-invasive ventilators”, but these are not the ventilators that can be used in intensive care units, which are invasive ventilators that deliver oxygen to the lungs and are used as part of life support.

:lol: I forgot all about that dumb poo poo until your post triggered the memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Stereotype posted:

650k people died gasping for air in hospitals and they still don’t think covid is real.

An antivaxxer I know caught it a few weeks ago, wasn't even joining calls virtually until two days ago. He can barely breathe, moving is hard, and he has no idea when he'll normally return to work.

But he and his family aren't going to get vaccinated.

Lol.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

:siren: RESPIRATOR CREW ONLY, DO NOT READ THIS POST IF YOU'RE NOT RESPIRATOR CREW :siren:

has anyone found eyewear that works with respirators? i have a 3M Half-Face 7501 in case that's helpful

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

OK C-SPAM thread, you win; I'm joining respirator crew too. I bought the 3M mask with two pairs of the P100 filters from Digikey just now.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Lacrosse posted:

OK C-SPAM thread, you win; I'm joining respirator crew too. I bought the 3M mask with two pairs of the P100 filters from Digikey just now.

welcome, goon

buy 4 pairs of the filters so you can feel silly now, but feel safe with that extra $20 later

source: someone who accidentally bought 4 pairs from the website last year thinking i bought 4 individual filters

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Stereotype posted:

650k people died gasping for air in hospitals and they still don’t think covid is real.

more of a long-term program
a) delta will kill off a meaningful percentage of chuds, making them less relevant to policy
b) if a new batch start opening their dumb rear end mouths 20 years from now, eg as we scrap the last ICE vehicle, we’ll be able to point at national corpse hill and wag a finger

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Helith posted:

You can see the D&D thread crack-pinging in real time over the CDC data that's leaked

lol forever

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

WaPo posted:

“We’ve done a great job of telling the public these are miracle vaccines,” Seeger said. “We have probably fallen a little into the trap of over-reassurance, which is one of the challenges of any crisis communication circumstance.”

Howling to the heavens :lmao:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Lacrosse posted:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

link the posts, please. im begging you.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

BONGHITZ posted:

link the posts, please. im begging you.

post 2 of the thread, friend

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Business Gorillas posted:

:siren: RESPIRATOR CREW ONLY, DO NOT READ THIS POST IF YOU'RE NOT RESPIRATOR CREW :siren:

has anyone found eyewear that works with respirators? i have a 3M Half-Face 7501 in case that's helpful

Unfortunately no. I was using face shields (doubley so because I wear glasses half the time). Most eyewear felt like it was pushing down on the mask.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lacrosse posted:

yeah same i just ordered a honeywell

mad max masks for lyfe

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Can someone link the C-SPAM official respirator please? I'm ignoring my wife and buying one for myself.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ah remember that first week of lockdown when this was new

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

morothar posted:

more of a long-term program
a) delta will kill off a meaningful percentage of chuds, making them less relevant to policy
b) if a new batch start opening their dumb rear end mouths 20 years from now, eg as we scrap the last ICE vehicle, we’ll be able to point at national corpse hill and wag a finger

get ready for even more lopsided "won the EC but not the popular vote" republican presidential wins. it's a feature, not a bug

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

mycomancy posted:

Can someone link the C-SPAM official respirator please? I'm ignoring my wife and buying one for myself.

lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1420929934772506625?s=21

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Huge stoner aviators, worn indoors and outdoors regardless of weather or light

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lmao

~however you want

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

I genuinely loving hate him so much

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

sorry about the collapsing healthcare system, avoiding over-assurance was too challenging for our crisis communication effort, ttfn

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

The model predicting a sharp decline seems crazy off. Out of curiosity I tried to learn more about it leading me to: https://www.frbsf.org/economic-research/indicators-data/covid-19-forecasts-by-county/
Which, unless I'm missing something, appears to claim they correctly predicted the decline over the past 30 days (that didn't happen???)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

post 2 of the thread, friend

the drama posts, i already have one.

going to get one of the hf802's though

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Nate silver: wrongest man alive

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
also lol the d&d thread has broken and they’re going all in on respirator chat, they’re afraid

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
funny, living my life ~however I want~ just happens to involve beating Nate Silver to death with a 2x4, time to respect my fuckin personal choices, Nate!!!!!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I already have a McMaster I bought last year, but the Honeywell seems nice, and is even cheaper and having a spare never hurt anyone. So I'll probably order that. Plus not being the Pyro from TF2 has its appeal.

Are sizes standardized across brands? Like if I'm a L for McMaster can I assume I'll be an L for Honeywell?

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

get ready for even more lopsided "won the EC but not the popular vote" republican presidential wins. it's a feature, not a bug

I wouldn’t bet on it. 50K fewer chuds in each swing state basically cements a Dem presidency for the foreseeable future. Biden won the EC by what? 150K votes?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

*nate silver emerges from the walk-in cooler he accidentally locked himself into, he finds he is the last human on earth*

*slips and breaks the last champagne flute, spilling his mimosa on the floor of the restaurant*

wait... wait... we had time now!!!

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Being around kids ever - A special circumstance

Thanks Nate.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
link me to a respirator and I’ll buy one.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
https://twitter.com/FridayImInLov14/status/1420930358250381312?s=20

I want every single person that makes this argument to loving suffer with a plastic tube down their throat for 7 days straight and recover so they live with the impending thought of almost dying for the rest of their lives

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

jetz0r posted:

is that feeling you get when you're riding a roller coaster up the first hill and you notice the first missing click from the chain drive?

Yep, that's the one

Patro
Oct 17, 2003
Hi2u
Hearing from multiple people in Texas they’re under the weather but it’s just totally from Saharan dust. Don’t worry guys.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Milosh posted:

link me to a respirator and I’ll buy one.

I'll do you one better:

https://www.goodtherapy.org/find-therapist.html

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
swimming goggles might work

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
had a cool talk with my fiance about having to delay our move until early next year (we both agreed that was safest since his mother is still in the area we're moving to and she's high risk but at this point spending over a year apart is too loving much so we're just gonna do it when we can at the start of next year when things hopefully at least are in a lul) now I'm doom scrolling respirators, probably won't get one since I've got my good masks still but hey doom world baby.

Just a cool loving night!!!!

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

I just bought a respirator and some p100 filters, how long does a set last?

For industrial safety purposes there are guidelines and timetables for all kinds of filters and respirators that you can find floating around.

For Covid purposes you care about particle filtration so the short answer is literally "when it gets too hard to breath through it". The efficacy for the filtration actually goes up as it gets clogged up. For daily usage without wildfire smoke expect 6-12 months depending on the cartridge.

Just don't wear them for solvents or actual non-covid safety purposes like teargas without checking specific timetables for the hazard in question and making sure you are still in the operational window and have the correct filter in the first place! There are generally safety sheets on the product page for any of the industrial suppliers that will list what the filters are rated for and will have a safety sheet link to a manufacturer page as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Man I’m gonna get a ton of side eyes for this. I really don’t want to draw more attention to the fact that I’m the only masked employee.