Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

I'll be honest, i didn't understand complex impedance math when i studied for my extra, so i just doubled down and practice tested till i got 98-100s on all the other sections and just allowed myself to blow out the math chapter. i ended up passing

it's a valid testing strategy

dr. dad used to tell me that studying for his board exams he just skipped the entire section on eyes, knowing that he could still get a passing grade and he never wanted to do anything with eyeballs because they grossed him out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Have any of you lovely hams found a handheld transceiver with a dial or knob for going through presets / scrolling through the frequencies?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Boiled Water posted:

Have any of you lovely hams found a handheld transceiver with a dial or knob for going through presets / scrolling through the frequencies?

The Yaesu FT-60 has knob control

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
My 25-year-old Radio Shack HTX-202 has a rotary encoder for tuning.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

my anytone 878uvii has this; i expect their other DMR radios do too since it's basically the same thing over and over with slight tweaks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i have about 13 of them.

what i think you're running into is that a lot of DMR radios are basically adapted from commercial/cop radios, which rarely had general purpose encoders for tuning or switching freqs. 99% of actual purpose-built ham rigs have them. (my ic-w32a has two!)

my md380 has a 16 position rotary switch to pick talkgroups but it's not continuously spinning, there's a far left and right position. This is actually nice if you're trying to operate it blind - i know exactly where the goon talkgroup is by feel <waggles eyebrows>

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PSA: .radio domains are 25 euros a year if you're registering your callsign. There are a few other ways to get the ~90% discount, but this is the one I care about

You need to go through register.radio to get the discount - all the other registrars i checked like Gandi only sell for the full-price 200-something euros/year.

register.radio makes you fill in your contact info for the various WHOIS contacts, but don't expose that information after registering - I emailed to ask because I didn't see a whois privacy thing during checkout.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

PSA: .radio domains are 25 euros a year if you're registering your callsign. There are a few other ways to get the ~90% discount, but this is the one I care about

You need to go through register.radio to get the discount - all the other registrars i checked like Gandi only sell for the full-price 200-something euros/year.

register.radio makes you fill in your contact info for the various WHOIS contacts, but don't expose that information after registering - I emailed to ask because I didn't see a whois privacy thing during checkout.

That's standard now because of the GDPR.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ill post it here too. stupid afternoon project. APRS mini box.

pi zero W
audioinjector pi hat (VERY nice, strong recommend. Don't gently caress around with USB sound dongles)
ancient yaesu ft-270RH on 5 watts
PTT on GPIO pin 26 via a 2n2222a and resistor
9-20V to 5V buck board for power (just added a power lead off the radio feed)

poo poo owns and it works perfectly

if i add a GPS hat, a battery and maybe an LCD touchscreen to this i could have an ammo can tracker/messagebox

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

goddammit my hotspot hat arrived and i have to remove a tiny rear end SMD resistor for it to work on a pi4. i tried it on my old pi1 and the wifi is hosed up if i use the pistar image. haven't tried connected to ethernet yet, but that's not really a long term solution for me unfortunately

i'm very disappointed.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dammit, i'm sorry :(

maybe the prebuilt all in one boxes really are that much better

i assume you're skittish about modding it for the pi4?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

well, i'm gonna try it, but while i've done SMD before it's way easier in my experience to solder than ti unsolder this kinda stuff. maybe i can find some braid that'll help though. i'll give it a shot but it'll be a miracle if it works afterwards

any idea on if i should bridge or leave the short? i imagine the answer is bridge, but the broken-english instructions just said remove...

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i am suspecting its putting a voltage where it shouldnt. remove, don't bridge.

if you want to Be Bold just grab the finest tweezers you can find and rip it off. dont be too hung up about needing to desolder clean. you'd never be able to resolder it back on anyways. just dont gently caress up any adjoining traces or through-holes

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Holy poo poo, that worked. I just pulled the little fucker off and it booted!

Thanks a million, dude. Today has been Rough (unrelated to the hotspot being broken-ish) and getting a little dumb ham radio win like that really feels good right about now.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fuuuuuuck yes, snotel hamwan wins again

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol well it looks like it doesn't actually work - once i found a modem type that could successfully reset, MMDVM_host still can't read the firmware and such from it

still feel good that i got it to boot tho. maybe i'll give it a shot on the old rpi1 tomorrow

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

well, i'm gonna try it, but while i've done SMD before it's way easier in my experience to solder than ti unsolder this kinda stuff.

that's funny beacause if I'm not careful doing smd work I usually blow around half the resistors and capacitors around the chip I'm trying to solder :v:

glad it worked out for you!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
hey guys just checking into the net hope that’s okay

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yes hello what traffic do you have for us

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

need to get my transmitter setup figured out but receiving has been fun in the meantime

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

you bet i have traffic you’re on our established channel for [extremely niche activity] please move

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

while I'm studying for my license I'd like to at least get used to pulling poo poo out of the aether and listening to it, and it looks like RTL-SDR dongles are *deeply* on sale on amazon.ca right now but not the full antenna kits. is there a recommended type of antenna or anything for those or is any ol' antenna with an SMA connector on it fine?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

hey guys

GUYS

pretty clouds

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kazinsal posted:

while I'm studying for my license I'd like to at least get used to pulling poo poo out of the aether and listening to it, and it looks like RTL-SDR dongles are *deeply* on sale on amazon.ca right now but not the full antenna kits. is there a recommended type of antenna or anything for those or is any ol' antenna with an SMA connector on it fine?

yeah the options are wide if you wanna just goof with vhf/uhf stuff. big hf wires are big and require extra crap, but you can put up a small dual band antenna or one of those roll up J-poles just fine

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

thehustler posted:

hey guys

GUYS

pretty clouds

neat

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

got my ed fong rollup today

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wanna measure it for me and/or post a couple pics? i wanna try to clone it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sure thing. he's also published how to build em, ill dig up the article too

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

DBJ-1 article: https://edsantennas.weebly.com/uploads/2/9/3/5/29358461/dbj-1_qst.pdf

DBJ-2 article (this is the one i bought): https://edsantennas.weebly.com/uploads/2/9/3/5/29358461/dbj-2_qst.pdf

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

HF update: it occurs to me that if i get permanent WFH, there's a reasonable chance that i'll move into a place where i can put up an antenna, even if it's stealth mode on top of the roof or something. and if that's the case, a QRP radio would still be cool but i'd probably go for a 7300 first

i tell myself this to keep myself from blowing the bonuses i got today (and then some) on a 705

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
unless you are like seriously a hike/camp addict get the 7300. besides you can run it off a battery if you go car camping or w/e

100 (actually mine pushes like 135, 140 depending on band) watts makes a huge difference in enjoyment

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

word. car radio stuff is almost certainly not gonna be for me, but who knows with the future holds. fingers crossed for wfh and a place with room and a roof that i can afford

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

like, i CAN drive but i hate it because i'm colorblind and have no depth perception. driving safely is a much more difficult and focused thing for me cause it is way harder for me to tell the difference between "traffic slowed a little" and "traffic stopped, you better slam on the breaks right now". basically if there's any traffic at all i'm white knuckling it. i miss the days when my eyes were just as hosed but i didn't realize how much it effected me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gotcha. yeah lol uh the 7300/9700/705 are quite possibly the _worst_ radios to use actually mobile. just say no to touchscreens in a moving vehicle.

anyways yeah get the 7300 first. i love the 705 but its limiting if you arent an experienced op with a quite good setup

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

i just wasted an hour in a loving field doing a satellite capture then got home and accidentally deleted the wrong file and I’m absolutely loving pissed about it :kingsley:

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
have you tried undelete.exe

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Crankit posted:

have you tried undelete.exe

no but that may work idk. there’s always another pass. that’s the beauty of it, just irritating to waste the time

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i need help from you radio heads! i was talking to a friend about getting into SDR, and she mentioned having one of these Soma Ether devices https://somasynths.com/ether/

it seems cool to walk around and listen to RF emissions, but i can't shake the idea that this is just a normal FM radio thats missing a tuner. what am i missing?

then there's this VLF receiver http://www.auroralchorus.com/wr3gde.htm which seems like the same kind of thing, but specifically set up to receive low frequencies (and no demodulator). seems like it would be more fun to monitor natural phenomena with this, vs overlapping FM broadcasts with the Soma.

my question: what do radio heads think of these?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

maybe if you're into creating ambient techno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

somebody at work emailed Kenwood, and the CS person told them that there should be a D72A replacement announcement in Q2 2022. get hyped