Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

litany of gulps posted:

Edit: Do I keep playing? Do I quit? What even do I do with this game?

This sounds like a good game you should keep playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

litany of gulps posted:

gently caress me, I just got this game the other day. I haven't played any of the others, and this is basically like no other strategy game I've ever seen.

I started as Sigurdr "Snake in the Eye" and raided and warred my way to a quite comfortable spot. Then I died and my arrogant lovely son waged even more war on my weak rear end neighbors until he was King of Denmark. All of my strength was basically focused on Denmark, though - the three territories of the actual islands. King Sverker died, and his son only got... two of those territories. Compassionate, just King Karl lost one of them to his pre-teen half brother. I denounced the boy, then revoked his title. He tried to rebel, but it was a pathetic show. I took back my other bit of Denmark, locked up my half brother for some time. I let him go out of pity eventually, and King Karl subjugated and took basically all of Scandinavia. Then he fuckin died and now everything is a shitshow.

I'm in the middle of dad's giant fuckin war. My literal giant wife hasn't given me any antifa supersoldier kids yet. I'm an evil gently caress and my good dad had to cover up two murders.

The concept of trying to rebuild the Kingdom of Denmark from this ruin is hard to even imagine.

Edit: Do I keep playing? Do I quit? What even do I do with this game?

Keep playing, losing and building back is the best part of the game. Also post pictures of your border gore.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

binge crotching posted:

You need to own everything that is dejure the Kingdom of Sicily, which includes Naples (and Malta, easy to overlook that one). You also need to be independent, so if you swore fealty to the Byzantines that would also prevent it from happening.

As for becoming feudal, it's from the Varangian Adventure. It won't block the achievement though, even though the description says tribal, government type doesn't matter; all the achievement checks is that you started as a non-ruler designer Nordic/Norman culture and Asatru religion, and are still that when you are an independent ruler of the entirety of Sicily.

Varangian Adventures always change you to the government type of what you're taking over. If you conquer tribal land, you'll become a tribe. If you conquer feudal land, you'll become feudal.

Ah woops, I shamefully used ruler designer for the first time!

Also only had the island of Sicily at the time.

And no clue what happened to Italy, like everything just blew up

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Keep playing, losing and building back is the best part of the game. Also post pictures of your border gore.

I think I've come to terms with this. Yesterday I just drank beer all day and conquered territory, it was devastating to have accumulated so much just to have it disintegrate in the end. I was also drunk, both literally and figuratively (with my endless, seemingly inevitable victories).

I'm sure with more experience at the game comes an understanding of how to manage succession issues better. To a large degree I just put it out of my mind and didn't want to even consider what would happen, because I wasn't sure if I could even do much to control how it played out. I need to look carefully at that nearly completed war. It was a 2000 prestige kingdom invasion, intended to be Karl's crowning achievement. I wonder, if I can manage to pull off a win with the remnants of my army, will I still take the entire Kingdom of Sapmi?

This was the peak, after three generations of conquest:

This is what happened:

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

If your realm was split between your siblings then you should have claims on their primary titles making it fairly simple to retake the territories you lost. Have you used a claim CB yet? You won't have to go one county/duchy at a time like with tribal conquest.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

100% this. Everything going disastrously wrong and desperately crawling your way back is the most fun this game gets.

I really need to do a new playthrough.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Sometimes its fun to make your own story, and sometimes its fun to try for some of the achievements. I like to have a goal to work toward, and also it feels great to have that little notification ding when I succeed.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Various Meat Products posted:

If your realm was split between your siblings then you should have claims on their primary titles making it fairly simple to retake the territories you lost. Have you used a claim CB yet? You won't have to go one county/duchy at a time like with tribal conquest.

It looks like that is true, thank you for pointing this out! It appears that I can declare war on Norway and Sweden using my own claims and retake it all in two conflicts. I was able to squeeze out a win against Sapmi and took the entire kingdom, and my vassals just started a faction with the intent of stealing my spot as King of Denmark. Now I just need to try and stabilize and hold position in the short term...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

I think the thing to realize about CK as a series in general is that there really aren't any objectives that will actually take the full length of time the game gives you - there is a ton of slack in the timeline and even a world conquest can be done with more than a century left on the clock. It's a very stark contrast to other Paradox series where early setbacks can derail an entire game, CK gives you a ton of freedom to lose recover.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah since i hosed the Sicily cheevo my new goal is to capture the Pope and sacrifice him to Odin or whoever. Is there any way to make my own culture? Or is that literally the new DLC thing.

If so is the only way to change culture the convert to the culture of your capital thing?

And am I correct in having an army full of only Varangian Veterans? Like any reason to make anything else? Managed to stomp (stompish, had to hire some mercs) the Byzantines with the ~600 vets when I took Syracuse from them so they seem pretty good but could be better of course.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah since i hosed the Sicily cheevo my new goal is to capture the Pope and sacrifice him to Odin or whoever. Is there any way to make my own culture? Or is that literally the new DLC thing.

That's coming in the DLC.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

And am I correct in having an army full of only Varangian Veterans? Like any reason to make anything else? Managed to stomp (stompish, had to hire some mercs) the Byzantines with the ~600 vets when I took Syracuse from them so they seem pretty good but could be better of course.

They're rather expensive, but that aside, if you can afford it then you should.

Once you get access to Armored Cavalry, but the marginal improvement probably won't justify the replacement cost.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 30, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The best part about losing in Crusader Kings isn't picking yourself back up, it's coming back into power someplace else entirely.

I remember a multiplayer game of CK2 where I got reduced to one county but through some clever marriages, switching my own inheritance to ultimogeniture, and murdering eight successive queens of Germany, I became king of Germany.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Questions. Why would the Byzantine Empire explode like this? The Borojigins are Tengri pagans so I assume some kind of horde took them out while I wasn't looking?

Also, as you can see I have conquered the whole of the Iberian peninsula. However only Aragon, Navara and Castile are integrating into Francia. Is that because Valencia, Andalusia and the southeastern kingdom don't border any integrated land?

As you can see, the Borojigins are already gone. I won a crusade against them for Sicily and put a distant cousin on the throne and then the Greek successor states rolled them.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 31, 2021

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Isn’t borjigin genghis’ family name?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Isn’t borjigin genghis’ family name?

Maybe. When I noticed this in 1260, they definitely still had a large core of territory in Mongolia.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

KDdidit posted:

Welp, ruler died and time for the succession dissent poo poo to fire up, better start with the feast for a few points.

:getin: I remember seeing a screen shot of this event a while back and forgot it existed so it was a nice surprise. Also that pitiful opinion penalty for killing everybody.

i like the part where everyone else gets -10 opinion of you

"Yeah, the emperor's a pretty cool dude, but did you hear about how he massacred dozens of subjects after inviting them to a feast?"
"Seems a little on the rude side but I'm sure he means well!"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

Questions. Why would the Byzantine Empire explode like this? The Borojigins are Tengri pagans so I assume some kind of horde took them out while I wasn't looking?

Also, as you can see I have conquered the whole of the Iberian peninsula. However only Aragon, Navara and Castile are integrating into Francia. Is that because Valencia, Andalusia and the southeastern kingdom don't border any integrated land?

As you can see, the Borojigins are already gone. I won a crusade against them for Sicily and put a distant cousin on the throne and then the Greek successor states rolled them.

The Borjigins are the Genghisids. The Byzantine Empire clearly were defeated in a Mongol Invasion, and then Armenia broke away in a populist rebellion. Possibly but not necessarily at the same time as all the Iranian counts broke away in an independence revolt.

And yes, title integration requires a land border. The non-integrating ones will start once one of the connected kingdoms integrates and they gain said border.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

"Yeah, the emperor's a pretty cool dude, but did you hear about how he massacred dozens of subjects after inviting them to a feast?"

I mean, they were only nobles.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Even better, it's only people who were at the feast, but you warned them about the fire so they didn't die who get the opinion malus.

So apparently the emperor/king/duke just murdering a whole bunch of his vassals and courtiers just manages to get completely ignored by anyone who wasn't actually there.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well I assume you still get the -50 Murdered my Family Member or whatever it is, right?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ah woops, I shamefully used ruler designer for the first time!

Also only had the island of Sicily at the time.

And no clue what happened to Italy, like everything just blew up

If you want a tribal Norse start for playing around, Dyre in Kiev is the way to go. Starts as a Duke with bonus gold and prestige, is well situated to move in any direction (my go-to start for migration to India games), and unlike Rurik in Novgorod, has no wrong religion/culture vassals if you want to just hang out and build up.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

The Borjigins are the Genghisids. The Byzantine Empire clearly were defeated in a Mongol Invasion, and then Armenia broke away in a populist rebellion. Possibly but not necessarily at the same time as all the Iranian counts broke away in an independence revolt.

And yes, title integration requires a land border. The non-integrating ones will start once one of the connected kingdoms integrates and they gain said border.

Interesting. Bulgaria has consolidated a lot of Byzantine lands and is ruled by a Greek family IIRC, is it possible for them to reestablish the empire if they manage to gobble up more of Nikea?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

PittTheElder posted:

Well I assume you still get the -50 Murdered my Family Member or whatever it is, right?

Along with the "murderer" penalty.

No idea how/if those stack with themselves, but they definitely stack with each other.

The most fun I had in CK3 was holding a traditional Asatru Great Blot long after I and 90+% of my subjects had converted to Islam.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

Interesting. Bulgaria has consolidated a lot of Byzantine lands and is ruled by a Greek family IIRC, is it possible for them to reestablish the empire if they manage to gobble up more of Nikea?

It's certainly possible, though you need so many provinces to do it I would not expect the AI to succeed at it given that they don't prioritize stuff like that.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Veryslightlymad posted:

Along with the "murderer" penalty.

No idea how/if those stack with themselves, but they definitely stack with each other.

The most fun I had in CK3 was holding a traditional Asatru Great Blot long after I and 90+% of my subjects had converted to Islam.

Murder? According to the game it must have been just a candle malfunction. No murderer here.

Family seems to be cool with it too.

KDdidit fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 31, 2021

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Been playing this game for dozens and dozens of hours and something I'm still not entirely sure on is when/how children inherit their parents' pressed claims.

Pressed claims are inherited by the heir as an unpressed claim. Ok. Problem is that for regular non-rulers, the game doesn't really seem to have a way of showing who the heir is. In this one case I'm looking at it is presumably his children, but looking at his children I don't see any unpressed claims. Do the claims only "appear" when the father dies? or when the child becomes of age?

(This is an italian, male pref confederate partition county, so it really does seem like the claim should go to his son..)

The reason I'm asking is because I have some of his kids in my dungeon, so it seems like a potential good move would be to force have them join my court, then exploit their claims later when their father dies. Not terribly clear whether this is possible though, since the game isn't explicitly saying they have a claim, even though theoretically I suspect they do.????

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

Do the claims only "appear" when the father dies?

It's this. Children of currently landed rulers may have Implicit Claims, which is a sign that they would receive Pressed Claims if their landrd parent died today, but I'm not sure whether you can actively press those or not.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

This is my new gambit to get heaps o' land in Italy. It's all about getting this tiny county of Mantua far away from my main territories. You can see here in this screen grab a tiny bit of Sicily in Northern Italy.

I noticed that Tuscany was for whatever reason imploding and every state going independent, but sadly they were "too far away" for me as the King of Sicily to vassalize. I wondered if I extended my kingdom through some exclave, whether that would still be the case.

I married my cousin to someone with an immediately exploitable claim on Mantua to find out. Tuscany is such a dire situation right now that they put up zero fight and I was able to wrestle that county away.

And guess what? It works! All the independent states are well willing to be vassalized (albeit at low tax rates. Perhaps a bit of swaying could fix that though).

Neat trick.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
How does the transition from tribal to feudal work, exactly? The option just opened up for my Danish kingdom, but it looks like a pretty bad deal militarily - my levy power drops to about 10% of what it was previously. Am I just lacking the cultural developments for this and need to wait?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tribals are easy to reach maximum power with, but their maximum power is worse than a maximum power of a fully built up feudal realm of equal size.

You generally do want to transition eventually, but you do need to make sure that you don't have any neighbors ready to eat your lands.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Minor wrinkle in my grand plan, the woman I married my relative to in order to take over Mantua already had some kids that will inherit before her kid she had with my dynastic member.

Further problem, her heirs are also the heirs to a county held by Tuscany, and so Mantua will fold back into Tuscany when they inherit!

One potential solution here will be to try to give the Countess of Mantua a Dutchy, so that the inheritance will work the other way, with her son inheriting a Duke title and thus bringing Fermo into my lands.

Fortunately during my war with Tuscany for Mantua I occupied Fermo and captured the main heir, child Count of Fermo. This could give me some options.

I think my best approach here is to try to matrilineally marry all her heirs to women in my dynasty. The safest thing at this point would be to throw the main heir into the dungeon. Downside with this is the family will hate me.

One wonders if I release this child from prison and get a hook, whether that's enough to force him into a bad matrilineal marriage that he wouldn't otherwise do. I kind of wish there was an explicit "force marriage" option you could do in this situation where you imprison a child.

This is a situation where I might save scum because I actually want to see what the available options are here and how the game handles this case.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Veryslightlymad posted:

The best part about losing in Crusader Kings isn't picking yourself back up, it's coming back into power someplace else entirely.

I remember a multiplayer game of CK2 where I got reduced to one county but through some clever marriages, switching my own inheritance to ultimogeniture, and murdering eight successive queens of Germany, I became king of Germany.

One of my favorite games I played of CK2, I started in Essex, become king of England, became emperor of Britain, had a just genius king die at 22 and had the throne fall to a 2 year old, got deposed and ended inheriting a title in Andalusia and basically started from there to form the Spanish Empire.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm new to this. Played the tutorial game for awhile when the game cane out and just started a new game using the starting Easy guy who goes on to start Russia.

I start with a bunch of CBs to takeover nearby areas so I figured a good goal is to try to create the Russian empire. Just going to war and taking all of these over seems like a less than creative way to play the game though. What are some basic things I should try instead to achieve that? I still don't really have a great grasp on how to split up my lands and I always have powerful vassals who want council seats but there are so few seats and of course lots of vassals since I'm taking all this land.

Also what options do I have if my ally gets invaded by a guy with an army 4x the size of mine? No chance of beating him in fight. I mean I could not help but that seems rude.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

litany of gulps posted:

How does the transition from tribal to feudal work, exactly? The option just opened up for my Danish kingdom, but it looks like a pretty bad deal militarily - my levy power drops to about 10% of what it was previously. Am I just lacking the cultural developments for this and need to wait?
I think there's some kind of bar on the early medieval innovations tab that you have to fill up somehow. The only time I feudalized was through making the North Sea Empire which does that as part of the decision, so that didn't apply to me.

If you can time it, I'd suggest having a young-ish leader with high stewardship skill. Oh, and a poo poo-ton of gold to fund your army and re-build all the buildings in your domain. Go raiding for a while first.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I just had a terrible holy war, I hired the hospitaliers to help me invade egypt and even though on paper it said that would give me an extra 5000 guys when I raised them all that showed up were 5 knights. Literally impossible for me to raise them anywhere so I had to spend all my gold to hire a bunch of mercenaries and then my allies declared a bunch of stupid wars because on paper I now had an enormous army.

I hate holy orders so much.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

PittTheElder posted:

I had an insane game where I was king poo poo of Italy except the plague passed through my court from a visitor, killing my king at 23, his heir at 2, then his brother, this dissolved my kingdom into civil war as my 2 year old dying of plague had no ability to keep the country together. I then played as my original king's obese alcoholic mother, who took the throne at 60, lived until the ripe old age of 88 and reunited the kingdom with a swathe of bloody conquest, murdering absolutely every single rebel in her dungeons.

Probably the most fun I've had with the game.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I am curious on how you keep territory to your direct heir.

I like to play as Wessex, and I really want to keep Lunden and a few other useful territories like Stonehenge on succession. Everything else I literally don't care about as far as partition goes.

But I keep having boys so the inheritance keeps ruining me on succession. I figured I'd rush high crown authority but that just caused a massive civil war I couldn't win.

Obviously some succession change but that takes research. still, Any advice?

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 1, 2021

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I am curious on how you keep territory to your direct heir.

I like to play as Wessex, and I really want to keep Lunden and a few other useful territories like Stonehenge on succession. Everything else I literally don't care about as far as partition goes.

But I keep having boys so the inheritance keeps ruining me on succession. I figured I'd rush high crown authority but that just caused a massive civil war I couldn't win.

Obviously some succession change but that takes research. still, Any advice?

If there's a specific county you want to absolutely guarantee that you'll keep on succession, you can just make it your capital. If there are a few different ones spread around, there's not a lot you can do other than disinheriting all your sons except the one you want to be your heir. Later on you will unlock non-partition succession laws but it is fairly late in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Albino Squirrel posted:

I think there's some kind of bar on the early medieval innovations tab that you have to fill up somehow. The only time I feudalized was through making the North Sea Empire which does that as part of the decision, so that didn't apply to me.

If you can time it, I'd suggest having a young-ish leader with high stewardship skill. Oh, and a poo poo-ton of gold to fund your army and re-build all the buildings in your domain. Go raiding for a while first.

I realized after the fact that part of the problem was that I had surpassed the vassal limit, which I hadn't known was a thing. Ultimately I only lost about 50% of my overall levy power, which still meant I was able to raise more soldiers than almost anyone else. I will say, that transition helped me to understand a lot about titles and the importance of giving them to the right people.

My kingdom automatically shifted into the early medieval at a set date (1005), I guess it must be preset for each culture.