Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I'm sorry the what

https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1420477549583425539

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Holy balls that looks bad. It looks worse than that show on Channel 4 with all the comedians doing sub-Dead Ringers impersonations of the royals, and that was literally unwatchable.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

Also Farage and Darren Grimes's fundraising campaign went well :toot:

https://twitter.com/RNLI/status/1420743605115781121

craftywank

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Wolfsbane posted:

Mr Scott said: "We believe pioneering our vision in the UK can deliver on a broad spectrum of political initiatives across net zero, levelling up and building back better at the same time as demonstrating global leadership in the area of low-carbon innovation that is essential to creating a more sustainable future for the generations to come."
... corporate responsibility black lives matter.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
sneakychuff

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
stealthfap2000

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Also Farage and Darren Grimes's fundraising campaign went well :toot:

https://twitter.com/RNLI/status/1420743605115781121

Fantastic!

Funny how when you really get down to it, it’s not “all lives matter” at all, is it? I’m sure that’s what Farage and his ilk kept on telling us.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...obox=1627398861

quote:

Warhammer retailer Games Workshop is handing its shop workers, model makers, designers and support staff a £5,000 bonus each after sales and profits benefited from tabletop gamers escaping lockdown by fighting bloodthirsty battles with orcs, elves and alien hordes.

Thats a hefty bonus for literally every worker.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
pretty sure every games workshop employee will just spend it right back in games workshop.

You can probably get, like, 6 orcs for that.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

£5000 of product bought with staff discount and then flipped quickly becomes a lot more

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Quick question: I'm going to the pub this evening with a colleague from way back. But, can we just walk in? I'd wear make inside, but drinking and wearing a mask doesn't really work.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Trickjaw posted:

Quick question: I'm going to the pub this evening with a colleague from way back. But, can we just walk in? I'd wear make inside, but drinking and wearing a mask doesn't really work.

Most places you can just walk in now but it's up to the pub whether they'll keep the old rules in place (eg table service only). A lot of places were more difficult to walk in before because of reduced capacity but it varies. You don't need to wear a mask anymore but the etiquette is to wear it whenever you're not physically sat at a table (and a lot of pubs will require/encourage you to do this).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Trickjaw posted:

drinking and wearing a mask doesn't really work.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Whoever was asking about longer boxers for summer wear - Uniqlo do these which, while they look a little like fetish wear because of the mesh (they're not actually particularly transparent once actually on) are absolutely amazing and completely invulnerable to both disappearing up your arse and marinating your bits.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Trickjaw posted:

Can you sit outside? That'd be best

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Whoever was asking about longer boxers for summer wear - Uniqlo do these which, while they look a little like fetish wear because of the mesh (they're not actually particularly transparent once actually on) are absolutely amazing and completely invulnerable to both disappearing up your arse and marinating your bits.

Well, there's a disturbing peek (literally, it seems) into Twisto's apparell, as stalks about the East End.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

look a little like fetish wear because of the mesh

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

Can you sit outside? That'd be best

If you're quick enough, I suppose.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Brexit is autoerotic asphyxiation gone wrong. :colbert:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Trickjaw posted:

Well, there's a disturbing peek (literally, it seems) into Twisto's apparell, as stalks about the East End.

If you want even more detail I've actually *not* worn them in the East End yet, only in Cornwall, including in an amazing but unintentional stress test of walking around Looe in 35 degree temps for a couple of hours wearing motorbike gear, which I'll admit also doesn't help the allegations of fetishism.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
That's the only thing I hate about motorbiking; the occasional combination of wearing full leather and it being a little bit sunny. 5 minutes in and I'm writhing around in my own sweat, the newly crowned Most Uncomfortable Man on Earth

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nice, I've already ordered the ones someone else recommended off Amazon, but if they're a bust ill try these next, I'm a big fan of the Uniqlo thermal long johns during the winter months.

How are they for riding up on the legs?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nice, I've already ordered the ones someone else recommended off Amazon, but if they're a bust ill try these next, I'm a big fan of the Uniqlo thermal long johns during the winter months.

How are they for riding up on the legs?

They stay where they're put.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That's the only thing I hate about motorbiking; the occasional combination of wearing full leather and it being a little bit sunny. 5 minutes in and I'm writhing around in my own sweat, the newly crowned Most Uncomfortable Man on Earth

Well I at least had the sense to not be in leathers - Dainese jeans (admittedly Kevlar jeans are almost as bad as leather for sweatiness, but at least they don't actively suck heat out of the surroundings the way black leather does) and Bikers Gear Kevlar shirt that although it looks like thick flannel is actually really well-ventilated. Not a combo I'd wear if I were going to be doing serious speed or distance, but a fantastic fit for urban posing.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I had a canvass(?) jacket when I still had a motorbike but anything thicker than jeans was horrid.

I sometimes see motorcyclists with shorts and t-shirt and I sympathise, despite the invitation of instant death it represents.

E: I loved motorbiking but I'm in London now where driving is never fun, and I'm kiiiinda glad I don't have to scare my wife constantly with the prospect of smearing myself on tarmac

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

The Perfect Element posted:

Cycled about 8k in my lunch break. I was a lot of fun but I forgot how much effort is required to go up even pretty small hills and secondly OH MY GOD MY ARSE. I seem to remember that not long ago someone recommended some kind of revolutionary bum-saving accessory you can get... Anyone care to make that recommendation again?

As long as the saddle is ok and fits you properly, the soreness will go away after a week or two as your butt gets used to it. If it's still sore after that, then the saddle probably will need changing to one that's nicer for your butt. It's hard to get right because everyone's butt is different so you may need to try out a few. But like I said, only do that if it hasn't improved in a week or two.

Also big padded saddles aren't always the most comfy/nicest for your rear end and gooch because they just smush everything together down there instead of politely and gently keeping everything separete.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Just Another Lurker posted:

Brexit is autoerotic asphyxiation gone wrong. :colbert:

Just strangle the economy and jerk off the rich until the housing bubble climaxes

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

craftywank

goddamnedtwisto posted:

leather for sweatiness,

Aphex- posted:

As long as the saddle is ok and fits you properly, the soreness will go away after a week or two as your butt gets used to it.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Just strangle ... and jerk off ... until .... climaxes

Yeah, thread is extremely cumbrained this morning, bodes well for the long weekend

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They stay where they're put.

Well I at least had the sense to not be in leathers - Dainese jeans (admittedly Kevlar jeans are almost as bad as leather for sweatiness, but at least they don't actively suck heat out of the surroundings the way black leather does) and Bikers Gear Kevlar shirt that although it looks like thick flannel is actually really well-ventilated. Not a combo I'd wear if I were going to be doing serious speed or distance, but a fantastic fit for urban posing.

That looks like a great deal for £70. I have a perforated leather jacket but it's also an airbag one so essentially the body area is impermeable. In traffic when the fan comes on I get absolutely roasted.

https://www.bikers-gear.co.uk/colle...=37629614293163

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/alan_allport/status/1420870800840794120?s=21

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Remembering fondly when Priti Patel and that other Tory waste who's a descendant of Lord Trevelyan were threatening to "starve out" ireland as part of Brexit negotiations, unaware that we produce 14x as much food as we need to sustain ourselves.

There is definitely shortages on the shelves of M&S tho, at least 20% of all their goods aren't making it across the sea by their own account. Guess I'll have to buy a lasagne that doesn't have "Best of British :britain: " stamped all over it

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah, thread is extremely cumbrained this morning, bodes well for the long weekend

I started reading UKMT this morning and

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

5 minutes in and I'm writhing around in my own sweat, the newly crowned Most Uncomfortable Man on Earth

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Failed Imagineer posted:

simply bursting with spunk

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

The Perfect Element posted:

Cycled about 8k in my lunch break. I was a lot of fun but I forgot how much effort is required to go up even pretty small hills and secondly OH MY GOD MY ARSE. I seem to remember that not long ago someone recommended some kind of revolutionary bum-saving accessory you can get... Anyone care to make that recommendation again?

I highly recommend getting padded undershorts.
Not actual MAMIL lycra outer shorts, but ones you wear as pants.
There's no way I'd bee seen in cycling shorts so I tried them and it's a revelation. So so comfy, and impossible to see that you are wearing them. Basically just like the usual ones but a bit less padded, and hidden from sight.
They feel a bit odd what with the padding, but you get used to it quick. I had mine on for a few hours of shopping, also once in the pub (forgot I had the bike that time, oops) and they're fine for that too.

On the bike though my sore arse was all but gone and I have a pretty skinny minimal saddle.
Probably the best 30 I've spent on bike stuff.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Adolf Glitter posted:

There's no way I'd bee seen in cycling shorts so I tried them and it's a revelation. So so comfy, and impossible to see that you are wearing them. Basically just like the usual ones but a bit less padded, and hidden from sight.
They feel a bit odd what with the padding, but you get used to it quick. I had mine on for a few hours of shopping, also once in the pub (forgot I had the bike that time, oops) and they're fine for that too.

On the bike though my sore arse was all but gone and I have a pretty skinny minimal saddle.
I justvwearca thong and a fez, you big bunch of lasses. Or you can try the Mediterranean method, board shorts, Oakleys and flip flops.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mebh posted:

Not sure. Apparently he rang the 119 number (isn't that automated?) . I'll poke him next time I see him about. I've got a pack of lateral flow tests here just incase.

If he wants a PCR (which is the right one if he has symptoms) he can request it here https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test. If he's not 'essential' he'll have to go to a site though.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

It's really annoying when journalists don't link the studies they're writing about. It's here: https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/13/15/8161/htm

The three metrics they use are population vs area of arable land (lower relative population density is better), physical isolation (more isolated is better), and "self-sufficiency" meaning renewable energy and manufacturing capacity. So sparsely populated islands are going to do well, as are developed nations with lots of renewables (e.g. wind in UK/Ireland, geothermal in Iceland). Runners-up are Canada and the US because while they aren't very isolated they have huge amounts of land and resources.

There is some additional discussion with a bit more detail on the characteristics of the countries, but the paper seems more an excuse to promote the author's pet theory on societal collapse ("de-complexification" with "nodes of persisting complexity") than a really serious analysis. Worth noting that the study they're trying to build on ranked Ireland dead last for survivability out of the 20 nations included.

On a separate note, sorry about your dog Twisto. She looked like an extremely good girl.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

CGI Stardust posted:

simply bursting with spunk
Like a binbag full of custard.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Adolf Glitter posted:

Yeah padded shorts are the way for a sore saddle, as well as just cycling regularly so your arse toughens up. If I haven't been on a bike for a while then the first few days always feel bruising, but it goes away quickly and after that I don't tend to bother with the padding for rides less than a couple of hours. I just got a few pairs standard bike shorts so I can either go full lycra or if I'm on my mountainbike or feeling shy I can wear them under trousers or baggy shorts no problem. Also stand on your pedals more on rough ground. You'll have better control and fewer bruises.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Can't beat these classic Dr. Who monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Thread smells of Lynx today