Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

Especially since reusing code and adapting publicly available examples is 99.9% of coding work, especially in the interpreted space.

Also unless it’s sourced from the same assignment, anybody who plagiarizes code wholesale is going to have it break in really stupid ways and not have any idea how to fix it.

....yes I’m trying to learn coding via python

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Can you imagine what I'd be like if you thought staring at a section of code wondering "What the hell are you actually doing?" was fun? What a charmed life that would be.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CFox posted:

A plagiarism checker for code is the most batshit thing I've heard in a long time.

I have to agree. When I first got on cable, I would play X-Wing vs Tie Fighter multiplayer on the MS Zone. I got recruited into an online league and since I was the only medical-sphere player, they named me Fleet Surgeon General. I was responsible for the hospital ships players’ website, as well as the day to day matchmaking and website management. I copied like 90% from the US Navy’s medical staff organization’s online manuals and website, changing all references to “sailors” to “troopers.” I also updated all the links and changed some to point to other RP pages.

It was plagiarized everywhere, but did have many original materials and resources for RP reasons. It was a lot of fun, and i was sooo thankful to hang out with friends and Shooty-Mans for a few hours a week just for relieving stress from studying and labs.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

unruly posted:

I always enjoyed the rule about self-plagiarization. Like, I can plagiarize myself? I... how? :dafuq:

This has always baffled me. Like, it was explained as "this assignment is to write a paper for this class. If you reuse an old paper you haven't completed the assignment." Motherfucker, what is the assignment even for? Presumably I'm supposed to learn something. If I can pull a paper out of my rear end that meets requirements, why am I paying for you to waste my time?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This has always baffled me. Like, it was explained as "this assignment is to write a paper for this class. If you reuse an old paper you haven't completed the assignment."[snip]
Exactly. How is it possible to plagiarize my own thoughts? If my thoughts are turned into glyphs on a page that convey an idea I had in my head, and I turn around and reuse those thoughts because they fit the new thing I'm working on, am I now expected to synthesize new and wholly original thoughts that amount to the same thing?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

There's a weird mentality that some places have where all of the work must be fully original and unique.

It's loving stupid and nobody actually works that way, but for some reason some academics found it useful.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

HalloKitty posted:

They do. Someone watches your webcam (in theory) the whole time.

They're definitely watching, I got asked to take my hand away from my face

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

With a lot of them software will monitor you camera and flag you for a person to look at if the AI doesn't like what it sees.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm not sure this is the right thread to post this. I'm installing Windows 10 from a USB on an Asus laptop. I make it all the way to the part where it says 'where do you want to install Windows', but there are no options, and even if I manually select C: it doesn't let me install it. Anyone know what the problem could be?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Either you have no disk in the system, or Windows PE doesn't have the right drivers to enumerate it. Usually RAID or whatnot. Was this machine in use recently? I'd check your BIOS/Firmware settings to see if the disks show up there, and what their settings are.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
It's brand new. I've looked up online and they recommend disabling the VMD technology. I'm going to give it a try now.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 28, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Also set the bios to UEFI-only booting, if it's not set that way by default.

(on asus that's in boot -> launch CSM -> boot device control : uefi only)

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Disabling VMD did the trick. Thanks, guys.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am having a really bad issue with Windows 10, too. It's on my ThinkPad T25 (essentially just a T470 but with a classic 7 row non-chicklet keyboard). Out of seemingly nowhere, for the past 2 months or so, sound just constantly breaks on this thing.

I'll be watching a youtube video or something and randomly the sound will just cut out. Then I'll try to adjust the volume by clicking the icon near the clock. I can move the slider up and down but it lags like crazy and eventually crashes explorer. I have to reboot my laptop to get sound working again after that. This happens probably 2 times per day; it's maddening.

I uninstalled the Realtek drivers (I tried both old and new drivers; didn't help) and I "blocked" them from re-installing. I instead opted to force the machine to use the generic Windows "High Definition Audio Device" drivers. Somehow this made no difference and I still have the issue.

Anyway I am ripping my hair out trying to figure this out and I thought maybe there's something else conflicting with the sound "card", so I chose "optional updates" in Windows Update to see what it showed. I get a bunch of stuff like this:

I am tempted to install them all just to see if it somehow fixes my sound issues but I am a bit weary since the drivers they are showing are so ridiculously old that they're actually from before my laptop was even manufactured. Also the one from 1970 isn't helping.

Are these safe to install? The way Windows 10 hides them, plus the little warning on top makes me think it's a bad idea, but I am all out of ideas here. Are these things already installed on my laptop; just older versions?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
My “inherited” Dell laptop wasn’t running very well, and I eventually checked the BIOS version in a system information type program. It was never updated since 2008.

I downloaded all the updates (ver2—>ver11) one at a time, and there were a bunch of Win10 “optional updates” available afterwards. I just ticked auto-update and went to bed.
Worked perfectly in the morning, and every day since. Even with 6Gb RAM and booting from a HDD (which drives me insane after years of SSD boots).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I am tempted to install them all

:chloe: I wouldn't do that

For the various intel system stuff, instead go here to get the latest intel chipset drivers automatically found & installed.

Secondly, I would get the realtek audio driver direct from lenovo and try that. It's dated Oct '20, so relatively up to date. Normally I wouldn't expect the audio drivers to be any different than the generic realtek ones, but since you're having problems that's the safest choice.

After trying that, if it's still happening there are two main directions I'd look:
• other software that may be loving with the the windows audio system (including the Dolby headphones stuff that comes with windows). turn all that stuff off.
• deeper problems. try disabling the realtek HD audio in the device manager and using it for a day or two without audio. or if you can spare like $20, buy a cheapish USB audio adapter or use headphones.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Also the one from 1970 isn't helping.

:laffo:

Anyway, my money is on a hardware issue, since used to be fine. USB might be just the ticket, but make sure there's a good return policy and keep your receipt in case it keeps happening.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 29, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the replies. If it is indeed a hardware issue, Lenovo will replace the motherboard because I still have two years left on the "white glove" warranty :cool:

I've literally never bought a warranty in my life but did for this because I want to use this thing for over a decade if possible (I'm hellbent on the 7 row keyboard) so I figured it would be worth it. They even replaced the motherboard a year or so ago when one of my kids tripped on the power cord and it ripped the USB-C ThunderBolt port out of its socket.

I am gonna try a few more things, like installing a driver for a newer ThinkPad (the T15 gen 2) because it's also RealTek and has a much higher version number than mine, and I feel like companies are just being lazy and not updating older laptop drivers even though they are the same. I do have the gut instinct it's software though and not hardware, because rebooting fixes it 100% of the time.

I would do the USB sound card thing but having something constantly stick out of my laptop at all times sounds like a recipe for disaster.

edit: My "newer ThinkPad driver" scheme was a resounding failure

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 30, 2021

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I had a similar issue with a desktop a couple years ago and it turned out to be hardware related. The ‘loving with the slider eventually crashes Explorer’ thing was exactly the same. Since it was a desktop, I just went USB and disabled the sound in the BIOS, but I dunno if you can do that with a laptop.

Edit: I troubleshooted it using a live Ubuntu distro, it gave Linux fits as well.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm gonna be needing a new desktop here before the year's up. Should I pick one up now (gaming PC) or should I wait until 11 launches and grab one then?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A new wave of cpus will be launching in the fall, so that would be a good time to get the new poo poo or an OK deal on the current gen.

I don’t think there’s a firm date yet on when Win 11 will be in stores and OEM products, but probably shortly before or after the holidays. It will be a free upgrade if you already have a Win10 license, just make sure your motherboard/cpu are compatible.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Fruits of the sea posted:

A new wave of cpus will be launching in the fall, so that would be a good time to get the new poo poo or an OK deal on the current gen.

I don’t think there’s a firm date yet on when Win 11 will be in stores and OEM products, but probably shortly before or after the holidays. It will be a free upgrade if you already have a Win10 license, just make sure your motherboard/cpu are compatible.

Is that just Intel CPUs? So far as rumours go Zen 4 won't be available until 2022.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm gonna be needing a new desktop here before the year's up. Should I pick one up now (gaming PC) or should I wait until 11 launches and grab one then?

Also, obviously, GPU shortages right now add a thick layer of difficulty onto building things right now.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Also, obviously, GPU shortages right now add a thick layer of difficulty onto building things right now.

Oh I've given up building anything this time around because of this. I'd rather just buy a good pre-built or something to get me by for the next 10+ years.

It's even harder to get storage thanks to Chia crypto.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's even harder to get storage thanks to Chia crypto.

you know i keep hearing this but can report nothing but the absolute opposite from recent UK promos at least. you would think if there was some vast demand for decent SSDs and HDDs prices would go up, but i just put a 2TB WD Blue SATA SSD in my machine for £134 which i beleive is a near historic low, and there have been absolute shittons of deals on hotukdeals at pretty much all form factors, capacities and premiums, except enterprise stuff which seldom makes it there.

i think people were afraid of this happening, particularly after the news that it ruins SSDs quite quickly, but because it does it really is just the ultra high end enterprise grade drives (after all if it's going to ruin your SSD you want the absolute highest endurance card available as it will take it longest and need less replacing) and very high capacity HDDs that chia has been driving demand up for. home use stuff is very cheap.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Chia has already peaked, it hit 30PB at the beginning of this month and hasn't grown significantly since then

There's a lot of HDDs idling to keep those 30PB stored, but since the network isn't growing it isn't consuming many new HDDs or SSDs

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
If I choose the duplicate option when using an HDMI cable, does the computer have to render every image twice?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Spermando posted:

If I choose the duplicate option when using an HDMI cable, does the computer have to render every image twice?

nope, it just sends the same image to 2 outputs

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CoolCab posted:

you know i keep hearing this but can report nothing but the absolute opposite from recent UK promos at least. you would think if there was some vast demand for decent SSDs and HDDs prices would go up, but i just put a 2TB WD Blue SATA SSD in my machine for £134 which i beleive is a near historic low, and there have been absolute shittons of deals on hotukdeals at pretty much all form factors, capacities and premiums, except enterprise stuff which seldom makes it there.

i think people were afraid of this happening, particularly after the news that it ruins SSDs quite quickly, but because it does it really is just the ultra high end enterprise grade drives (after all if it's going to ruin your SSD you want the absolute highest endurance card available as it will take it longest and need less replacing) and very high capacity HDDs that chia has been driving demand up for. home use stuff is very cheap.

The HDDs I want to get for my NAS still are at 1 only on NewEgg and possible fakes on Amazon here in the US. It could be NewEgg being cautious but it's still quite annoying.

It'd still be cheaper to pick up a pre-built though.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

Chia has already peaked, it hit 30PB at the beginning of this month and hasn't grown significantly since then

There's a lot of HDDs idling to keep those 30PB stored, but since the network isn't growing it isn't consuming many new HDDs or SSDs

I had to look it up, its 30 EB not PB, you can fit 1PB in a 1u server now.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Perplx posted:

I had to look it up, its 30 EB not PB, you can fit 1PB in a 1u server now.

That's insane. I remember once, years ago, gazing on 6PB of storage. It took about 30 racks.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

AlternateAccount posted:

That's insane. I remember once, years ago, gazing on 6PB of storage. It took about 30 racks.
There are a bunch of vendors now offering 90 3.5" drives in 4U at this point.

With off the shelf 18TB hard drives that's 1.6PB raw in a single box and 16PB raw in a single rack with 2U left over.

If you had about $40m to blow on Nimbus 100TB SSDs you could get over 90PB of raw capacity in to a single rack, in theory.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is that just Intel CPUs? So far as rumours go Zen 4 won't be available until 2022.

A Zen 3 refresh with 3D cache is coming Q4 this year.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

A Zen 3 refresh with 3D cache is coming Q4 this year.

That might be fun. Are the AMD CPUs good for gaming now? I've never payed much attention to them tbh so I wouldn't know...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The R5 5600X is currently the gaming CPU of choice for midrange builds.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Intel CPUs aren't bad as such, but they got lazy and AMD blew past them with Ryzen. Like for any given Intel CPU, you can get a Ryzen of similar performance with better power consumption and definitely for cheaper.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ThermoPhysical posted:

That might be fun. Are the AMD CPUs good for gaming now? I've never payed much attention to them tbh so I wouldn't know...

AMD have been pretty much universally better than intel on the desktop since the Ryzen 3000 series (2019), when compared like-for-like in price. And now their CPUs are even getting put into some decent laptops.

What happened is that AMD made a good CPU, and at the exact same time Intel completely and utterly hosed up their manufacturing process. Intel is still using fundamentally the same 14nm stuff that they had in 2017 for desktop chips, which everyone else is on 7nm.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Intel CPUs aren't bad as such, but they got lazy and AMD blew past them with Ryzen. Like for any given Intel CPU, you can get a Ryzen of similar performance with better power consumption and definitely for cheaper.

Eh, Intel is trying to stay relevant by shoving more watts through the CPU, which was bad when AMD did it and bad now. IMO that makes them "bad" because even if the performance & price match up, you have a 300w spaceheater for a PC. Now you need louder or more expensive cooling, and it sucks to be in the same room with (unless you live in the arctic).

They still have some features that can make that a price worth paying, so it's not totally one-sided. But yeah, ryzen is pretty much the way to go.

(Also the current Ryzens have increased in price because AMD decided to make some profit, so for CPU-CPU cost ryzens aren't cheaper anymore. OTOH AMD mobos are still cheaper than Intel, so your total cost for a AMD system can still come in slightly below Intel. At least with DIY building.)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The 11400F at MSRP remains a great value for gaming and the kind of CPU that AMD doesn't have a competitor for. It's a shame that Intel is barely making any of them and you can't find them anywhere near MSRP. It's the one consumer product they can point to as something that AMD doesn't have an answer for, and they're just letting it fade into obscurity lmao.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 31, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it legit would not surprise me if the 3600 was still outselling the 11400F. they've sold just an absolute shitload of those chips and they were the "price to performance" king for so long that there are a trillion build guides and such out there that still recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CoolCab posted:

it legit would not surprise me if the 3600 was still outselling the 11400F. they've sold just an absolute shitload of those chips and they were the "price to performance" king for so long that there are a trillion build guides and such out there that still recommend it.

The 3600 is definitely outselling it because AMD actually produces those. The 11400F is never in stock because Intel doesn't intentionally make them. They're chips with a defect on the GPU and 1 or 2 of the cores. If the GPU worked they'd sell it as a regular non-F chip, and if all the cores worked they'd sell it as a 11700F.

If you could somehow get access to Intel's real sales data, I'm sure you would find that the number of 11400Fs they've sold is a rounding error compared to anything else. Like, they're cool for the people who manage to get them but you can't put that in a build guide.