Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think your only solution is gonna be phone based, optionally with an additional power source if that still doesn't last long enough.

I've used the 4iiii stuff lightly, I love their chest strap (it's a great ant+ bridge). The app is good enough for runners, but is definitely developed with cyclists in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think any third-party trackers can *directly* write to Health, but they can write to their own apps which can then write to Health. The Garmin Connect says it syncs with Health, so you should be good to go with whatever Garmins Suits Your Needs.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah any fitness tracker worth its salt will have a companion app that writes to Health. My wife uses the Garmin watch on her long runs combined with their app and Strava and it imports everything to Health at the end of her run.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If you're doing ironman distances, yeah, just get a Garmin. The Garmin app will suck your data in from your watch and spit it into Health.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Nice, thanks for all the assertions! I’ll look into the Garmin long distance stuff then.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm running a marathon in December and hoping my 6 will last long enough for my weekly long slow runs toward the end.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Wonder how long it lasts with an external HR monitor, cause the continuous reading seems to be the main battery sucker. With a phone for GPS and separate HR monitor, is the watch doing anything other than just being a display as usual?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

japtor posted:

Wonder how long it lasts with an external HR monitor, cause the continuous reading seems to be the main battery sucker. With a phone for GPS and separate HR monitor, is the watch doing anything other than just being a display as usual?

Wouldn’t it be using Bluetooth to connect to the phone?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

skull mask mcgee posted:

Wouldn’t it be using Bluetooth to connect to the phone?

It would already be using Bluetooth to connect to the external HR monitor, anyway.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Badly Jester posted:

It would already be using Bluetooth to connect to the external HR monitor, anyway.
And already using Bluetooth to the phone normally, just meant nothing beyond that normal operation it’d seem.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Weird thing has been happening to my watch lately. I’ll notice it’s just randomly in do-not-disturb mode (with the blue moon icon) in the middle of the day. I don’t have many alerts going to the watch so not really very noticeable to be honest. I’m definitely not turning it on intentionally but maybe it’s not turning off after I wake up?

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Could be it thinks you’re driving, I use forklifts at work and mine is often doing that.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm running a marathon in December and hoping my 6 will last long enough for my weekly long slow runs toward the end.

YMMV (:v:) but my launch 6 lasts 6 hours of cycling easily, and I never had trouble with my long (32km) runs in marathon training - don’t remember how long I took for those, 4-5 hours?

I just researched Garmin stuff and it seems the new Enduro lasts 70-80 hours of exercise :psyduck: but further research showed that the Garmin Connect App won’t synch bike workouts to health :psyduck: :psyduck: so I’m sorta back to square one.

Probably will just end workouts, charge while on break and then start workouts anew for now. Alternatively try Strava on the phone with my battery pack and see how that works out. Theoretically I should be fine with using Strava‘s tracking and then importing that to Health via HealthFit. We‘ll see.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Using an external HR Monitor with the AW should increase the battery life during workouts.

The HR sensor works overtime during the workouts so lightening that load should help. If you do use one you have to make sure to turn off the AW one because (well it used to before) also run the AW sensor but it would use the data from the HR monitor.

I guess in theory having your phone with you should lighten the load since it should be using the phones GPS for the workout tracking and not the watch.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

My wife is running in to a really bizarre issue that we can’t seem to figure out how to resolve permanently, curious if anybody else has ever seen something like this and has any ideas.

Basically the fitness tracking seems to stop recording correctly after one workout until we go and reset the exercise data for just her watch. We both have SEs, mines 44, hers is 42.

As an example, last night we went for a walk for a little over 20 minutes, 3mph-ish average pace, nothing special. Both manually activated the outdoor walk setting and everything recorded accurately.

Today we went for a very similar walk on lunch, roughly the same pace, distance, etc with outdoor walk manually started.

I got the full 20 minutes of exercise credit, she got 0. Heart rate info shows roughly the same measurements for both times, around 130-140. This has been happening for months now and we cannot figure out what the hell might be causing it.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Vegastar posted:

My wife is running in to a really bizarre issue that we can’t seem to figure out how to resolve permanently, curious if anybody else has ever seen something like this and has any ideas.

Basically the fitness tracking seems to stop recording correctly after one workout until we go and reset the exercise data for just her watch. We both have SEs, mines 44, hers is 42.

As an example, last night we went for a walk for a little over 20 minutes, 3mph-ish average pace, nothing special. Both manually activated the outdoor walk setting and everything recorded accurately.

Today we went for a very similar walk on lunch, roughly the same pace, distance, etc with outdoor walk manually started.

I got the full 20 minutes of exercise credit, she got 0. Heart rate info shows roughly the same measurements for both times, around 130-140. This has been happening for months now and we cannot figure out what the hell might be causing it.

The first step for most Apple Watch issues is to make sure you’re updated, then unpair and re-pair the watch to the phone then try it.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

The first step for most Apple Watch issues is to make sure you’re updated, then unpair and re-pair the watch to the phone then try it.

Yeah , we've done that a couple times as well, should have mentioned that. It's bizarre, it's mostly okay until specifically starting a workout manually, then it shits the bed completely.

We tried a full blown reset to factory and re-setup last night, we'll see if that accomplishes anything.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I bought a new combo charger since the wireless charger for my phone stopped working with the intention of replacing my alarm clock with my watch in nightstand mode. Is there really no way to have the display always on during nightstand mode?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The new Galaxy Watch 4 does some body impedance bullshit using the ECG leads to guesstimate your body fat content. I wonder if that's anywhere near accurate, because that'd be a nice to have. --edit: On the AW.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 11, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The new Galaxy Watch 4 does some body impedance bullshit using the ECG leads to guesstimate your body fat content. I wonder if that's anywhere near accurate, because that'd be a nice to have. --edit: On the AW.

BIA estimates are, in best scenarios, ballpark accurate so not really no

if you’re consistent in your testing pattern, ie same time each day in a similar state of hydration and prior activity and such, it can give you a metric to track change over time so it’s not necessarily useless, just not useful for getting an accurate body fat % off a reading

Violator
May 15, 2003

My Watch had a bunch of temperature warnings (screen kept turning off with a thermometer icon) so I took it into the store and they shipped it off for repair/replacement. I went and bought an $8 watch from Walmart in the mean time, and LOL it's nice to not have to jiggle my wrist to see the time. Even as someone who wore a watch every day as a kid growing up (G-Shock 4-life), I forgot how nice not having to worry about the face or watch hands disappearing after 12 seconds is.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Violator posted:

My Watch had a bunch of temperature warnings (screen kept turning off with a thermometer icon) so I took it into the store and they shipped it off for repair/replacement. I went and bought an $8 watch from Walmart in the mean time, and LOL it's nice to not have to jiggle my wrist to see the time. Even as someone who wore a watch every day as a kid growing up (G-Shock 4-life), I forgot how nice not having to worry about the face or watch hands disappearing after 12 seconds is.

I only wear the AW during work time nowadays outside of everything I’m usually wearing a Casio of some kind since they rule.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

a few weeks ago my watch randomly stopped unlocking my macbook. I went into security and the option was unchecked, checked it, said to log in to icloud on my watch...which I already was. restarted my watch, my laptop, and my phone, still nothing. unpaired/repaired my watch, and now it doesn't unlock my phone either

any ideas before I go to apple support?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jazz Marimba posted:

a few weeks ago my watch randomly stopped unlocking my macbook. I went into security and the option was unchecked, checked it, said to log in to icloud on my watch...which I already was. restarted my watch, my laptop, and my phone, still nothing. unpaired/repaired my watch, and now it doesn't unlock my phone either

any ideas before I go to apple support?

Make sure both devices are up to date. Toggle wifi and BT off and on both devices. Sign out of iCloud on your Mac. When you sign back in try turning that stuff on again.

Here's the support page. Check that out and make sure your stuff is setup with whatever it needs.

https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/unlock-your-mac-with-apple-watch-apd4200675b8/watchos

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
My kiddo has developed a fondness for idly grabbing at my watch while I'm holding her. Is there anything I can do short of locking my watch to prevent her from, for example, accidentally flipping my watch into airplane mode?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

you could try theater mode, tho that only adds an extra tap to enable the face

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

IAmKale posted:

My kiddo has developed a fondness for idly grabbing at my watch while I'm holding her. Is there anything I can do short of locking my watch to prevent her from, for example, accidentally flipping my watch into airplane mode?

Water mode turns off the touch controls entirely until you press and scroll the crown, that’s probably your best bet.

Violator
May 15, 2003

IAmKale posted:

I have the same problem. A lot of airplane mode, bedtime mode, theater mode, and lately pinging my phone.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

Make sure both devices are up to date. Toggle wifi and BT off and on both devices. Sign out of iCloud on your Mac. When you sign back in try turning that stuff on again.

Here's the support page. Check that out and make sure your stuff is setup with whatever it needs.

https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/unlock-your-mac-with-apple-watch-apd4200675b8/watchos

signing out/in on my macbook fixed it, ty!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a setting to make my watch buzz for phone calls for only people on my favorites list or even just known contacts? Seems to be “get all phone calls” or “get no phone calls” unless I’m missing something. Also, same question but for messages.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a setting to make my watch buzz for phone calls for only people on my favorites list or even just known contacts? Seems to be “get all phone calls” or “get no phone calls” unless I’m missing something. Also, same question but for messages.

Doesn't putting your phone/watch into DND mode accomplish the only favorites thing?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

You should be able to set unknown numbers to go straight to voicemail somewhere in phone settings on the iPhone.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Doesn't putting your phone/watch into DND mode accomplish the only favorites thing?

I’m sure it does but then it gets rid of all other notifications too, doesn’t it?

Just asking cause some rear end in a top hat at some poo poo company must have sold my phone number recently because I’ve been getting more calls from random phone numbers in the last two weeks.

Zwille posted:

You should be able to set unknown numbers to go straight to voicemail somewhere in phone settings on the iPhone.

Thanks. I think I found the option. Now to wait to see if it works as expected.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

You can block numbers too, I know limited usefulness when you get different numbers calling but still.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It shockingly does work as expected!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

It shockingly does work as expected!

Yeah the silence unknown callers works amazing.

If they don’t leave a message or text me it wasn’t important.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I hate that option because if you’re doing anything like a mortgage refinance or have kids in school or whatever, you’re constantly getting called by unknown numbers. Listening to the message then calling back and having to navigate their dumb menus just to talk to a human being is even worse than just hitting ignore imo.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 19, 2021

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

I hate that option because if you’re doing anything like a mortgage refinance or have kids in school or whatever, you’re constantly getting called by unknown numbers. Listening to the message then calling back and having to navigate their dumb menus just to talk to a human being is even worse than just hitting ignore imo.

That was the worst part about buying a brand new house. We had so many random numbers calling us that I had to answer those damned calls. Even now I can't ignore them as the warranty work is being done by random people who call to set up exact times. I'll be happy once I can go back to ignoring all of them.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
So my sig other has a series 3 (MTF32CL/A) and loves using it but it's being an absolute pig and on its last legs I think. I tend to kind of know what I'm talking about with tech stuff so she asked me what she should be buying to replace it and I didn't have the heart to tell her I'm a loving idiot and don't know anything about apple watches. So is the SE worth getting or should she just spring for the series 6? Are there huge differences? She's an event planner and also likes working out so enjoys closing her rings and all that good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Wait two-three weeks and see what the next model is like and buy that, it’s gonna be a redesign and have a (1) cool feature you’ll regret getting the current model over