Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Dunno if you all played other MOBAs, but small percentages are huge when it gets more competitive and you are ladder climbing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Is it a new trend to surreptitiously match people with bots so make them feel good at the games? That seems incredibly patronizing. I don't play a lot of mobas or MP games in general nowadays so maybe I never caught onto this.

Speaking of not playing mobas, this game is very cool and good for a casual like me. Love playing Garchomp.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

gay_crimes posted:

Dunno if you all played other MOBAs, but small percentages are huge when it gets more competitive and you are ladder climbing
If its an even match sure absolutely, I'm not saying its not at least a little pay to win. You still gotta be good enough at the game to get to the point where that small percentage factors, though. I just don't think there's anything to be learned from the clip of the dude fighting bots that everyone points to, when he loses all his ranked matches immediately after.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just finished a game with Eldegoss. I was bottom, we had a jungler, and then tri-lane up top. I successfully held off two or three of the other team so they couldn't goal, but I was sitting on 30 points. After three or four minutes of bottom lane stale mate, my team started to trickle in one a time and die on the bottom first goal over and over. Save your buddy syndrome is a hell of a disease.

Sometimes you just gotta cut bait. Had that not happened, we would have had a good chance of winning, since we were really ahead until Zapdos.

EDIT: What's a good Cinderace build? I'm going to switch to a carry for a bit since I think that a solid jungler would really help, someone that gets you need to just stay out of the game for a bit and only pop out when farmed. I think Cinderace fits that bill.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 30, 2021

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

gay_crimes posted:

I do play other MOBAs and this stuff matters at a much higher rank than most people are (or the rank they think they “should” be).

If Unite ever gets an esports thing going on it’ll be a problem but the vast vast majority of players have way more to improve on before the marginal benefit of the last 10 item levels

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Been working on the daily challenge stuff since picking this up last week.

I feel like getting the MVP for day 7 of Crustle is going to be the trickiest thing for me. I've mostly been playing Eldegoss and supporting my team. I'll typically be middle of the road in terms of points scored, with a high number of assists and a low number of kills, which rarely nets me the MVP title.

Do I have a literal day to complete the day 7 requirements? Is this going to disappear at server reset tonight?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Bobulus posted:

I feel like getting the MVP for day 7 of Crustle is going to be the trickiest thing for me. I've mostly been playing Eldegoss and supporting my team. I'll typically be middle of the road in terms of points scored, with a high number of assists and a low number of kills, which rarely nets me the MVP title.

Do I have a literal day to complete the day 7 requirements? Is this going to disappear at server reset tonight?

Nope, you have 22 days or something. It should have a countdown timer somewhere on the page

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bobulus posted:

I did the MVP playing a cpu match. (thanks to the thread giving me the tip). When you queue up, where it says "random match" select it and you can change it to CPU match and play against all bots, you can even do this with four human teammates if you have friend in your party. Just pick an attacker and score on the bots a bunch and it's easy.

That said I got MVP on a ranked match as eldegloss yesterday. My team has 2 afkers and I had to carry. We somehow won and I got MVP. Turns out the enemy team has three guys with 0 points and we won 120-30. 110 of the points where mine :(

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Just pick Cinderace, farm for four minutes (and dunk when the opportunity presents itself), and then go ham on the enemy team.

You'll get MVP in no time.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It seems to me that points are what the game cares the most about for MVP. Always be dunking and don't die.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

SettingSun posted:

Is it a new trend to surreptitiously match people with bots so make them feel good at the games? That seems incredibly patronizing. I don't play a lot of mobas or MP games in general nowadays so maybe I never caught onto this.

I've played a few other Chinese-developed games where I could clearly tell the opponents I was playing against were bots despite being presented as actual players. I think most recently the PUBG mobile game announced they were using bots to reduce queue times. This isn't really common industry practice at all, at least in the west, I can't really think of another moba that does this.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

EDIT: What's a good Cinderace build? I'm going to switch to a carry for a bit since I think that a solid jungler would really help, someone that gets you need to just stay out of the game for a bit and only pop out when farmed. I think Cinderace fits that bill.

I've been doing jungle Cinderace and yeah he rules. I think the build is Blaze Kick (makes you invincible during the attack itself and then increases your attack speed afterwards) and Feint (more invincibility). Pyro Ball just takes too long to cast and leaves you vulnerable during the animation. You could maybe take Flame Charge against Crustle, I've killed enemy Cinderaces with Rock Tomb a fair few times. Attack Weight, Muscle Band, Buddy Barrier

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

funnily enough the last lovely f2p game i played that did the "bots if you lose" thing was pokemon duel lol

that game ruled, rip

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

typhy posted:

funnily enough the last lovely f2p game i played that did the "bots if you lose" thing was pokemon duel lol

that game ruled, rip

Oh man, I remember that bug bot you could checkmate in like two moves when you learned the trick.

Hopefully a good goon finds something similar for this Pokemon game

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I've been doing jungle Cinderace and yeah he rules. I think the build is Blaze Kick (makes you invincible during the attack itself and then increases your attack speed afterwards) and Feint (more invincibility). Pyro Ball just takes too long to cast and leaves you vulnerable during the animation. You could maybe take Flame Charge against Crustle, I've killed enemy Cinderaces with Rock Tomb a fair few times. Attack Weight, Muscle Band, Buddy Barrier

I'm not super sold on Attack Weight, I think Scope Lens might be better. Attack Weight is a little bit "win harder when you're ahead"

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm skeptical of scope lens until we have more info about crit rate numbers. You do have to play slightly differently when you have Attack Weight, but you don't get more attack based on how many points you score, you can just dunk like five points or something instantly, six times and you're maxed out

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don't know what the hell I'm doing apparently but I've been winning a lot as Alolan Ninetales, and half the time I'm even contributing well, and it's been fun enough that I've been playing every day so far (besides yesterday due to internet outage) and even bought the battle pass so I guess the game is good?

e: Unlocked Cinderace and after three Quick Battles I’m undefeated with it and even had a game where I scored 290 points, which still wasn’t enough to get MVP. This Pokey rules.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 30, 2021

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is it just me or is Cinderace autoattack just loving insane. I've been getting destroyed by them lately just with normal attacks, it seems

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DLC Inc posted:

is it just me or is Cinderace autoattack just loving insane. I've been getting destroyed by them lately just with normal attacks, it seems

It's exceptionally loving insane

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dota has a thing where you can't attack Roshan when you're outside of the pit because of the way vision works, where he's basically like covered in bushes and so you have to walk into the pit to see what's going on in there. In this game Cinderace can just solo Zapdos with autos from outside the zone. He's absolutely insane

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Score shield is a great item to pair with the ‘get stats on goal’ items, it really helps you snowball early. In the first few minutes of the match the enemy team has a really hard time interrupting your dunk even with two people on their goal.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I won my first match with 170 points! Ninetails rules.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I know it’s obvious, but don’t spend a single penny on the gacha. I’ve not even finished my free allowance from the 2nd week yet and I’ve almost got every single item on offer from it or fashion tickets

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Gee whiz Cinderace is full on broke. Just destroyed an unranked match with him, 750 to 350. They didn't even stand a chance. however, I did have a nice Eldegoss to back me up and he did a really good job.

I jungled until I got the second move and then went ham.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm skeptical of scope lens until we have more info about crit rate numbers. You do have to play slightly differently when you have Attack Weight, but you don't get more attack based on how many points you score, you can just dunk like five points or something instantly, six times and you're maxed out

Yeah, the stacking items are really good, but there's a few points. If you dunk with just 1 point it's hard to interrupt which is really good, but if you are a farmer, then you don't really want to just get 1 - 1 - 1 - etc. Usually I jungle as Cinderace and I score when a goal seems uncovered and then I run away if the other bozos show up, if the goal is open I snatch one of their creeps and score as many times as I can until they show up. I usually manage to get three or four quick uncontested scores (one big one for the initial dunk, and then a couple of 1pt).

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I generally go Lucario specifically because of his ability to nuke attackers, particularly Cinderace.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

team getting absolutely annihilated for the first 7 minutes, then sneaking up as Venusaur while the enemy team is attack Zapdos and using my ult to wipe the entire team / go on to win is probably something I'm never going to top so I should quit playing now

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

mfcrocker posted:

I know it’s obvious, but don’t spend a single penny on the gacha. I’ve not even finished my free allowance from the 2nd week yet and I’ve almost got every single item on offer from it or fashion tickets

I remember on day one flipping through the shop and me and all my friends were like "oh the sailor outfit loving rules" and I was desperately trying to figure out how to get the triangle currency because you need 60 for it. Today I just got the final piece of the sailor outfit and the final piece of the Edelgoss set from the gacha. So yeah, the odds of getting something good actually seem really high

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I remember on day one flipping through the shop and me and all my friends were like "oh the sailor outfit loving rules" and I was desperately trying to figure out how to get the triangle currency because you need 60 for it. Today I just got the final piece of the sailor outfit and the final piece of the Edelgoss set from the gacha. So yeah, the odds of getting something good actually seem really high
Under Details it has an Offer Ratings listing all the percentages. 41% chance of some currency, rest seems mostly evenly split between all the clothes

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I don't think I "get" Cinderarce... he's probably the character I'm the worst at. I feel stronger as Gengar or Slowbro or Charizard... I feel like one on one, I die as Cinderace more often than I beat the enemy.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I keep comparing him to Pikachu and I think I like Pikachu better in just about every way... except Feint actually lets me survive where Pikachu instantly explodes when a Zeraora jumps on him.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

And I ran into the weekly coin cap. Ran into the energy cap last night, so now I get nothing from battles anymore except EXP. Feels bad, man. At least it resets when, Sunday?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Phenotype posted:

And I ran into the weekly coin cap. Ran into the energy cap last night, so now I get nothing from battles anymore except EXP. Feels bad, man. At least it resets when, Sunday?

Yeah, Sunday resets. Keep in mind though that once you hit profile level 30 the rewards for a level up are nuts. Like, 950 coins per level. So you're always climbing that specific ladder

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I don't think I "get" Cinderarce... he's probably the character I'm the worst at. I feel stronger as Gengar or Slowbro or Charizard... I feel like one on one, I die as Cinderace more often than I beat the enemy.

You want to weave auto attacks with abilities, since every time you use an ability it makes your next auto attack a boosted attack. It's honestly to the point where you don't really get most of your damage from abilities, it's mostly boosted auto attacks that do a shitload, and also definitely use your range to your advantage, you want to try to hit people on the very edge of your attack range, and back up while you're doing it

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Steer clear of any assassins, farm until you hit level 7, take blaze kick and feint, reap the rewards

You don't really have to do a whole lot of thinking beyond that

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the p2w stuff is bad but almost entirely because it gives moba players the thing they crave: something to blame their losses on

if not for the perfidious whales, my pure skill wouldve carried the day -some redditor respawning and jump padding into a 1v4

you have to really intensely farm hard until you evolve. you can do some fighting as raboot, but if you're getting washed just keep doing safe farming. forcing teamfights will just keep you behind the curve

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Varinn posted:

the p2w stuff is bad but almost entirely because it gives moba players the thing they crave: something to blame their losses on

if not for the perfidious whales, my pure skill wouldve carried the day -some redditor respawning and jump padding into a 1v4

you have to really intensely farm hard until you evolve. you can do some fighting as raboot, but if you're getting washed just keep doing safe farming. forcing teamfights will just keep you behind the curve

With that said, Scorbunny/Raboot are excellent at punishing enemy overextensions in lane

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah you have a surprising amount of burst with your abilities but your attack speed is so low that if you don't kill them quick you might as well let then go.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How are the other Supporters besides Eldegoss? I literally never see them played.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

How are the other Supporters besides Eldegoss? I literally never see them played.

I honestly don't know why the other supporters are considered supporters, honestly. Neither of them have heals or team shields except in their ult as far as I know, and not much in the way of support buffs either. They've got CC and walls, but you see that in defenders and attackers too, like Crustle and Ninetails. I would have thought Wigglytuff would have been a defender with the kit she has, but maybe she doesn't have enough health to make the cut? And Mr. Mime is kind of a weird attacker type that can make walls and do AOE damage and steal enemy pokemon's defense? IDK. Eldegoss is the only pokemon that really seems like a support, currently.

(e: also wigglytuff is weird looking I wanted to be jigglypuff and they goddamn well know it, they should have just ignored her evolutions like pikachu.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
Is there a discord for organizing groups? I'd love to play with people who don't run away from my cotton!