Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
A shame for Whitaker but she had Chibs and Chibs just couldn't do nout without making a fool of himself.

Hell, I'm not even against Looms 2.0, I just think that it's been badly laid out.

Oh well, providing it's not damned to the wilderness and this isn't just a face saving burn off of the budget, here's to the forth age of NuWho.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Rhyno posted:

gently caress that, go off brand crazy, what's Ronald Moore up to?

Doing For All Mankind for Apple TV+.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

CommonShore posted:

MULTIDOC JODIE NOW LETS DO IT 13 AND 11 MAKE IT HAPPEN BRING IN 7 FOR FUNZIES IDC HOW OLD HE LOOKS NOW

Have 8 and 13 meet.

8: "...I'm not a beautiful woman, currently..."
13: "Naw, that comes later. :haw:"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Based on nothing but the Lamentis episode of Loki, get Bisha K. Ali and Kate Herron.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TinTower posted:

Doing For All Mankind for Apple TV+.

Psh, what a waste.

the Dale's were created by Davros

and they have a plan...

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Rhyno posted:

Psh, what a waste.

and they have a plan...

He's signed with Disney/ 20th Century Fox and isn't showrunning For All Mankind any more.

Anyway, it's time to put a tenner on Danny Dyer as the next Doctor!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

Psh, what a waste.

and they have a plan...

Have you SEEN For All Mankind? It's very good. Of course, it doesn't matter anyway, he just signed a deal with Disney's 20th Television to develop.

If we have to sacrifice Whittaker to save Doctor Who, so be it. I'd rather have a new showrunner with a molecule of ability to...run a show...then have her Doctor stay an extra year waiting for Chibnall to improve.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
What’s Bryan Fuller doing?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

The_Doctor posted:

What’s Bryan Fuller doing?

3 or 4 episodes of Christine (the car) before he walks, same as usual.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

I know Chibnall sucks and all that but it also seems like the BBC puts the screws to Doctor Who a lot, even though its so consistently popular. Like, she had what two full seasons, with production fuckery?

Jodie Whitaker deserved better.

Reading about how they basically left it to wither as fewer and fewer execs were around with any affection for it as McGanns turn approached, how similar is this to that? Has Who become too big of a staple nerd IP to go through a serious drought where the 14th doctor get's the 8th treatment, just no TV who for X years.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Forktoss posted:

This sounds very probable, though I hope it won't come to that. It's about time to break with precedent and abandon the three-season rule since it doesn't account for progressively shorter seasons and longer breaks, and also it's a dumb rule anyway that's nowehere near the noble age-old tradition it's sometimes presented as (only Troughton and Davison followed it in the classic series anyway, and Tennant barely counts since he did a full year of specials after his third season, so it only really got codified with Smith/Capaldi).

Calling it now anyway: the regeneration special will be a team-up with Whittaker and Jo Martin, Martin will be revealed as the 14th Doctor, and the episode ends with Whittaker regenerating into Martin and getting brainwashed/amnesia'd by whatever Time Lord KGB she was supposed to be working for as well as Martin regenerating into whoever plays the 15th Doctor to star in the next series. That would be a pretty lovely way for Jodie to go, but at this point I would expect no less from Chibnall.

I wouldn't call it personal, but at least to me the Timeless Child poo poo represents a pretty serious breach against some of the core aspects why I think Doctor Who is a valuable thing. It's not that it's a bad story (though it is) or that it needlessly messes up continuity (though it does) or whatever; it's that before TC the Doctor was someone who distinquished herself from among her peers by her actions and will to do good, but after TC the Doctor is someone who is special by birth. Before, the message was that heroes are defined by their outward actions, and if you just want to do good you can be a hero too - what's the message now? That heroes are defined by their inward qualities, and if you're not born special, sorry? And yes, other writers have played with something like that in the Doctor's history before, but it's never been explicitly enshrined into the core of the character like it now has been. Yes, there's also still a chance it's a fakeout or there's something more to it than what we've seen, but it's still an idea that the show has presented us as something to be taken seriously, and it's a loving reprehensible idea that can't be taken back with a "lol jk" 18 months afterwards. It's also part of a really ugly trend of reactionary mythic hero bullshit that a lot of big franchises have regressed into (Rise of Skywalker being the most obvious example), and I'm sure I don't need to draw parallels to other ugly trends of reactionary bullshit prevalent in other walks of life. I don't think it's active malice or anything like that on Chibnall's part, but I really do think his take on the show and the character is destructive in a way that Moffat or RTD even at their worst never were.

This is good but also needless attacks rise of skywalker and gets it wrong.

Rise point isn’t that she’s special from birth. She’s choosing to let go of her past to do the right thing.

Her being a nobody who’s super special versus the grand child of somebody’s who was once a nobody but evil doesn’t make her choice or who she is any less powerful. It’s not bad storytelling, it’s just a choice people like to fight over. I think her Origin being the spawn of true evil makes it more compelling honestly. Though yes, making that clear from movie one would
Have helped way more.

In TC, you’re criticisms standstrue, because of what it’s rewriting. I don’t mind that they have more doctors now, but making her not just be a regular timelord is where they hosed up.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Imagine if Rey had known all along that she was a descendant of Eeeevil Embodied, but actively chose to fight for good, and had to battle against her inner demons to overcome personal temptations that would lead her down the Dark Side. Imagine if she'd concealed the truth from her closest friends the whole time out of fear of rejection or worse, only for the truth to come out at the worst possible time. Drama! Character conflict both internal and external! Imagine if the sequel trilogy had been planned from the start, and wasn't just a money-grabbing bag of nostalgia wankery written by hacks with a final script hastily bodged together after the intended writer/director delivered a bomb so bad it got him fired from an entirely unrelated project!

No parallels to Chris Chibnall's time running Doctor Who, I'm sure.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

LionArcher posted:

Rise point isn’t that she’s special from birth. She’s choosing to let go of her past to do the right thing.

"You don't have power, you have HIS power"

Just like in Doctor Who, the main character is revealed to be special not because they made a choice, but because genetics said they were special.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

Reading about how they basically left it to wither as fewer and fewer execs were around with any affection for it as McGanns turn approached, how similar is this to that?

McGann wasn't cast for nearly a decade after it was cancelled, if the programme had continued into 1990 it would have been McCoy continuing. It was also not a case of "fewer and fewer execs" having affection for it, because that's not the way the Beeb works.

Anyway.

Doctor Who is unlikely to be cancelled after this series, because they've already sold the following series to China and HBO.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CommonShore posted:

MULTIDOC JODIE NOW LETS DO IT 13 AND 11 MAKE IT HAPPEN BRING IN 7 FOR FUNZIES IDC HOW OLD HE LOOKS NOW

I'm all for this.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Jodie deserved so much better, hopefully we get a couple of bangers before she regenerates.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

hello does anyone remember the name of the evil gay computer from one of the episodes of the 70s series?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

juggalo baby coffin posted:

hello does anyone remember the name of the evil gay computer from one of the episodes of the 70s series?

Are you thinking of Orac from Blake’s 7?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Are you thinking of Orac from Blake’s 7?

Orac wasn't evil, just unconcerned with pesky things like the safety of the ship and its crew when it came to the pursuit of knowledge :colbert:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

LionArcher posted:

Her being a nobody who’s super special versus the grand child of somebody’s who was once a nobody but evil doesn’t make her choice or who she is any less powerful. It’s not bad storytelling, it’s just a choice people like to fight over. I think her Origin being the spawn of true evil makes it more compelling honestly. Though yes, making that clear from movie one would
Have helped way more.

In TC, you’re criticisms standstrue, because of what it’s rewriting. I don’t mind that they have more doctors now, but making her not just be a regular timelord is where they hosed up.

The gently caress up was back when being a Time Lord got turned into something "regular." The start of the new series managed to fix that, at least for a while.

One good thing about this departure: when fans talk about Thirteen, I expect the general consensus will be "Jodie got cheated of better-written episodes" and not "women cannot play the Doctor." So at least there's that.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Narsham posted:

The gently caress up was back when being a Time Lord got turned into something "regular." The start of the new series managed to fix that, at least for a while.

One good thing about this departure: when fans talk about Thirteen, I expect the general consensus will be "Jodie got cheated of better-written episodes" and not "women cannot play the Doctor." So at least there's that.

Jodie was great, that one bit she filmed on her own where she reassured kids during the pandemic showed that she absolutely "got" the character of the Doctor a hell of a lot better than her showrunner ever did, that's for sure.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

juggalo baby coffin posted:

BOSS.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I just listened to The Magic Mousetrap, and its great - funny and rather creepy and sinister. I also like the format of the interviews on this release, with the writer talking to the cast, rather than having the cast talk unprompted to the microphone, shame they don't do that more often.

I'm hoping that Whittaker gets at least one great horror themed story before she goes. Her run seems to lean very 'pew pew' type sci-fi, and the horror has been underplayed. Or at least one really memorable original monster - the Kerblam man was the most interesting design so far, and that wasn't exactly a terrifying episode. Mind you, it does have the best 13 moment, where she really gets excited about the Kerblam robot and the fez being delivered - little moments like that are what this run needed more of.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

hell yes thank you, for some reason i thought it was an autons or cybermen episode so i couldn't find anything about it again

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

Well this sucks. I don't have much else to add, but I'm really not happy about these developments.

I wanted more Jody, more show, and not this weird uncertainty. Who will take over? Will anyone take over?

I never thought I'd say this but after Chibnall I would be ready for a non-hardcore fan to take over. I mean I liked RTD and even for all his faults Moffat did a lot of cool stuff and he nailed the 50th. But after seeing Chibnall, who I thought would do more of the same...not...well let's just say I am not sure having another guy with a list of "Stuff I Would Do If I Ran Doctor Who" in his pocket since 1985 is a sure win.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Not sad to see Chibnall go, miserable to see Jodie Whittaker leave :sigh:

I have NO idea who could possibly be the showrunner now. I doubt it will be Gatiss, he didn't seem particularly interested when Moffat was leaving in taking over, and who is the next most qualified who has been involved in the show in any form? Toby Whithouse? His Who writing has been a mixed bag though more positive than negative, and he did write The God Complex which is fantastic. If he takes over, maybe we'll get Jamie Mathieson back too!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Not sad to see Chibnall go, miserable to see Jodie Whittaker leave :sigh:
Me too. :sigh:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Think about this - when Chibnall leaves the show, he will have been showrunner for Doctor Who as long as RTD had been.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
Money on Ruth-Doc being 14th.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Robert J. Omb posted:

Money on Ruth-Doc being 14th.

It would really depend if that's what the new show runner wants to do. It's not like RTD got to choose Eleven, or Moff chose Thirteen.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm gonna be pretty disappointed if they go with another white guy, even though they've had a lot of excellent white (or white-passing in the case of Davison) guys.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'm gonna be pretty disappointed if they go with another white guy, even though they've had a lot of excellent white (or white-passing in the case of Davison) guys.

It wouldn't surprise me if the higher-ups may push for that, citing declining ratings. (Never mind that ratings have fallen consistently for the past decade.)

I'm very glad that Chibnall is out, but also ambivalent about the future of the series. There's nothing close to an heir apparent among the stable of writers thus far; the only one of them that has any production experience is Pete "I Heart Amazon" McTighe. In fairness, Kerblam! was one of the more competent Whitaker episodes, so maybe we could trade outright evil for a bit of competency. Beyond that it's going back to the Moffat crew, a complete outsider, or just soft-canceling the show again. And if it's between somebody like McTighe, a person tasked with "just do what Chibnall was doing," and cancellation, I think I'd prefer the latter.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I wonder if it will come from someone from Moffat’s stable. Wenger is now basically in charge of the whole department, so he’ll have an eye on who’s a good producer and whatnot, and might select someone he knows from his time on the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Given that Chibnall had just as bad if not worse issues than Moffat with getting a full season on television in a year (even taking COVID into account) I have to assume the issue is with the BBC itself rather than the showrunner. This last Whittaker season only being six episodes, then two specials and a send-off NEXT year is crazy, that's barely 2/3rds of a single RTD season!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nothing original to add, +1 for glad Chibnall is going, wished Whittaker was staying.

Jerusalem posted:

Given that Chibnall had just as bad if not worse issues than Moffat with getting a full season on television in a year (even taking COVID into account) I have to assume the issue is with the BBC itself rather than the showrunner. This last Whittaker season only being six episodes, then two specials and a send-off NEXT year is crazy, that's barely 2/3rds of a single RTD season!

Yeah even before the plague he wasn't exactly churning out the episodes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My dream casting for the next Doctor is going to be the same every time we hit a regeneration

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Think about this - when Chibnall leaves the show, he will have been showrunner for Doctor Who as long as RTD had been.

RTD at least had output.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It occurs to me the planning for the next era is immense. They've got to be tapping replacements now, so that they're all ready to go when they start filming the regeneration. They've probably already filmed/are filming the specials for next year as part of this filming block, but the finale sometime in the next 6 months probably. So there's a Doctor to cast, then stories have to start taking shape, companions to create, write for, then cast. Rehearsals, etc. Starting from scratch every time in this way is such an undertaking.

Trying to see when the BBC are planning their 100 year celebrations for brought up this page which just has a screenshot from The Five Doctors for no reason at the top.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 30, 2021

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

OldMemes posted:

I just listened to The Magic Mousetrap, and its great - funny and rather creepy and sinister. I also like the format of the interviews on this release, with the writer talking to the cast, rather than having the cast talk unprompted to the microphone, shame they don't do that more often.

I'm hoping that Whittaker gets at least one great horror themed story before she goes. Her run seems to lean very 'pew pew' type sci-fi, and the horror has been underplayed. Or at least one really memorable original monster - the Kerblam man was the most interesting design so far, and that wasn't exactly a terrifying episode. Mind you, it does have the best 13 moment, where she really gets excited about the Kerblam robot and the fez being delivered - little moments like that are what this run needed more of.

Orphan 55 is pretty clearly written as horror. (Insert your own joke here.) Praxeus is also skirting the horror line, and The Haunting of Villa Diodati is played as almost straight horror, though the mood is arguably spoiled by having a Cyberman appear. They’ve had their horror moments, but that really hasn’t been their prevailing mood since their first appearance and even World Enough and Time couldn’t sustain its horror forever.

I’d say Whittaker has had one good horror episode and multiple OK episodes, they just keep veering off into something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Edward Mass posted:

he's just been dicking around the whole time eh? RTD's tenure seriously gets better and better with hindsight.