Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN?
This poll is closed.
PAINMAKER VS MDK 63 41.45%
ELIMINATION TAG 82 53.95%
ARCHER VS HIKULEO 2 1.32%
FTR VS PNP 5 3.29%
Total: 152 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i hope hangman page never wins the title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Uhh. If they're genuinely doing that, then wtf. The Hangman story was handled perfectly until now, and if trying to press pause on it for a few months while Kenny wrestlers Bryan or CM Punk or something just feels like a huge gently caress up.

They haven't made too many of those so far so I want to believe, but god drat.

Hangman spent the winter feuding with Matt Hardy in a comedy midcard storyline. He stayed just as over, he can probably handle a setback in a storyline about setbacks where he's suffered very few.

And I'm skeptical the plan was for him at All Out because I heard it was likely happening in Queens.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i too have opinions on this

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Pretty apt considering Return of the King looked like it was about to end and then went on for another 45 minutes

The bad casual fan: "Ugh why won't this end they destroyed the ring"
Me: "They're going to the shire! Ahh the boats to the elf homelands!"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

kidcoelacanth posted:

i too have opinions on this

Yo tone it down, ya mark

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

tao of lmao posted:

Reminded of that matt hardy tweet about how the easiest people to work are the ones who think they know the industry.

Evergreen
https://twitter.com/MATTHARDYBRAND/status/1418225325088014346

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Uhh. If they're genuinely doing that, then wtf. The Hangman story was handled perfectly until now, and if trying to press pause on it for a few months while Kenny wrestlers Bryan or CM Punk or something just feels like a huge gently caress up.

They haven't made too many of those so far so I want to believe, but god drat.

Hangman is 100% going to win the title, but there is money in a Bryan and Punk title match with Kenny. AEW are going to make that money and then make Hangman a big(ger) star.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

MassRafTer posted:

Hangman spent the winter feuding with Matt Hardy in a comedy midcard storyline. He stayed just as over, he can probably handle a setback in a storyline about setbacks where he's suffered very few.

But there's nothing to personal overcome any more.

He can suffer a setback if there's some sort of narrative development to come from it but the arc that was set up over the past 18 months is complete.

The Hardy storyline got him more over because it existed to establish his presence with the Dark Order, in service of this point in the story.

Page is not going to be more over than he is now absent storytelling witchcraft. There is plenty of chance if he doddles around in midcard hell whilst Kenny is running around wrestling Bryan Danielson that he'll be less over.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I hope the exciting company that has rejuvenated my love of wrestling turns something that feels bad in the moment into absolute gold like they have done repeatedly for the last 2 years.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I honestly wish Return of the King was longer. Even the Extended Edition, too short.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Gumball Gumption posted:

The bad casual fan: "Ugh why won't this end they destroyed the ring"

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/AVoNmea.jpg][/timg]

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

He can suffer a setback if there's some sort of narrative development to come from it but the arc that was set up over the past 18 months is complete.

The Hardy storyline got him more over because it existed to establish his presence with the Dark Order, in service of this point in the story.

Page is not going to be more over than he is now absent storytelling witchcraft. There is plenty of chance if he doddles around in midcard hell whilst Kenny is running around wrestling Bryan Danielson that he'll be less over.

Hangman's whole issue has been with the Bucks from the start. He needs to beat them (or at the very least, Matt Jackson) first, and that's what they hinted at by having him pin him in the 10-man.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah, but prior to that Hangman didn't seem to have reached the emotional climax of his storyline.

This feels like if in the Ghostbusters just as they're going into the Shandor building as New York cheers them on, you have them walk up to the roof... and then take them back down so they can go do some paperwork for half an hour before going back to the story's finish.

I guess there's nothing stopping you from doing that, but the way they've paced and framed this story so far, putting Hangman vs. Kenny on the back burner for a few months NOW feels super loving weird. Like they should've done it a few weeks ago if they were going to.

Raffles posted:

Hangman is 100% going to win the title

Yeah I don't doubt that, but this still feels like a mistake.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pylons posted:

Hangman's whole issue has been with the Bucks from the start. He needs to beat them (or at the very least, Matt Jackson) first, and that's what they hinted at by having him pin him in the 10-man.

He needs to pin Matt... which they hinted at by having him... pin... Matt?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

He needs to pin Matt... which they hinted at by having him... pin... Matt?

In the middle of an elimination match, not in a one-on-one match. It's like when someone pins the champ in a tag match or a tournament.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

Hangman's afraid of failing, disappointing his friends, and having them abandon them. He just lost, disappointing his friends. Now we see what happens next.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pylons posted:

And he needs to have his teammates accept and uplift him in defeat, not reject him as he feared the Elite would. Losing side by side with The Dark Order and having them love him all the more for it is an important step on the road.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, but prior to that Hangman didn't seem to have reached the emotional climax of his storyline.

This feels like if in the Ghostbusters just as they're going into the Shandor building as New York cheers them on, you have them walk up to the roof... and then take them back down so they can go do some paperwork for half an hour before going back to the story's finish.

I guess there's nothing stopping you from doing that, but the way they've paced and framed this story so far, putting Hangman vs. Kenny on the back burner for a few months NOW feels super loving weird. Like they should've done it a few weeks ago if they were going to.

Yeah I don't doubt that, but this still feels like a mistake.

CM Punk is the stay puff marshmellow man

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pylons posted:

In the middle of an elimination match, not in a one-on-one match. It's like when someone pins the champ in a tag match or a tournament.

Having him get his #1 ranking back by working his way through the Elite one by one would be pretty awesome (except the Galllows match but I'll get over that)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Hot drat we are all really invested in Hangman Adam Page

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pylons posted:

I am extremely here for a Matt v Hangman / Nick v Hangman pair of matches.

Until you said it I didn’t know I wanted it but now I want nothing more.

In fact, Hangman should run through the entire elite one by one, starting with Nakazawa.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tarnop posted:

And he needs to have his teammates accept and uplift him in defeat, not reject him as he feared the Elite would. Losing side by side with The Dark Order and having them love him all the more for it is an important step on the road.

But the even more important step is him not responding to a big loss by getting drunk and despondent. The Dark Order will be there to help him but its not their story, its Page's, and his problem has always been that he lacks the confidence in himself to accept that a big loss doesn't make him a loser.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Eat My Fuc posted:

I'm coming around on the Hangman loss now

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Shard posted:

I am! A lot! And I'd like to continue to be, if they'll let me after Chicago

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Eat My Fuc posted:

CM Puff

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

JUNGLE BOY posted:

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/AVoNmea.jpg][/timg]

lmao

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Shard posted:

If you'd told me this after Fight for the Fallen two years ago I'd never have believed it. I trust the people that made me love him.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

purkey posted:

Does anyone know if Rampage is going to be shown on Fite.tv?

Meltzer said that it isn’t 100% official yet, like there hasn’t been an announcement about it, but yes.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think it's possible for crowd reaction/chemistry to be further along in the story than the booking, and that can create disappointment if there are still some setbacks planned before the firework factory, but i'm okay with them wanting to pay Adam back for screwing the Bucks first; it was a thread that has been dangling since it happened, and it's like, fine if they just finish the build for the next PPV or what have you, but they're probably going to have to show/tell less before they're really ready to pull the trigger at this point, because again, the crowds are screaming hot for it, since the first time Kenny/Hangman squared off in the ring it has been white hot. it's probably easy for the energy to outpace your storytelling when people have been pent up for over a year because of the pandemic, that's an x-factor

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
lol

Does WWE own the naming rights to CM Punk

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MJeff posted:

The Elite wasn't using their numbers advantage and didn't cheat until the very end when Omega started pulling out belts. Kazarian only comes out as an equalizer.

All this time Frank Kaztle has been corporate synergy with The Equalizer.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
whole lot of handwringing in thread when we have zero idea what the future plans are.

I am never watching aew again (until the next time it is on) I sweat god

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1421151788472750084?s=20

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Tarnop posted:

If you'd told me this after Fight for the Fallen two years ago I'd never have believed it. I trust the people that made me love him.

When he was getting the first title shot, people were calling him AEW’s Roman Reigns, just some friend of the EVPs that was going to be overpushed and rammed down everyone’s throats but was actually mid-card unremarkable

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Look in my eyes, what do you see/
Nothing because only restricted view is left

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I dunno about doing two AEW title changes in a row on free tv.

lmao

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cult of Personality was my favorite Radio X song in San Andreas

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I can't believe AEW is dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018