Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Haha wtf is this dude's weapon?

the blade makes me think scissors of some kind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

That's just a Monado.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

a sword but with a bigger sword concealed inside it

the bladeblade

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

It obviously weighs several hundred pounds and has no center of gravity and that bothers me immensely since he's holding it like a suitcase.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Looks like there's a trigger on the handle he's holding

Maybe this is a sword that can also be fired like a gun?

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

I wonder if Kasim's giant blade opens up to reveal a cannon, like Rutger's weapon did.

Starting to dread that a lot of the screentime is going to be spent at the school. I liked the school stories in Cold Steel and Tokyo Xanadu, but we've done that for 3 games (CS1, TX, CS3) and now I want to move on.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Haha wtf is this dude's weapon?

Is this from the Dark Rose Valkyrie sequel?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm seeing a type of thread nipper, but one that might be used to cut like, a length of chain.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I like how by the end of ys II Adol has become such a tremendous pain in the rear end to the bad guys that the demons are actually holding STRATEGY MEETINGS about it

like "first order of business: I am sick and tired of that fucker Adol bumping into us until we explode, and according to Jeff he can shoot fire now? This is bullshit"

e: "second order: Dalles stop assuming he's lost all hope and loving off from your post, he just gets madder"

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 31, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
by the midway point of the Ys series, 90% of the people who know Adol react to him crossing their path again with unmitigated dread, because they know this peppy kid doesn't show up anywhere unless there's interesting times to be had

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

by the midway point of the Ys series, 90% of the people who know Adol react to him crossing their path again with unmitigated dread, because they know this peppy kid doesn't show up anywhere unless there's interesting times to be had

I hope we get to see more of the romun Dealing With Adol Christin's Bullshit Division, because just the idea of that is still insanely funny to me

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

finished my classic ysathon with VI, man that game is still real rough and janky as hell, but i can forgive it because they were really clearly still working out this whole isometic ys thing and their next shot at it was nearly-perfect so they clearly learned from it.

also, i cri evrytiem at the ending. falcom where did that bracelet go, you monsters.

gently caress that rock wall boss though. and the toad boss. ark bosses in general really.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 2, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwx5vw80j7U

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I’ll get to it eventually, but Trails of Cold Steel 3 doesn’t allow to you transfer saves from CS2, right?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That's right. I think you just get a few items if you have a completed CS2 save.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

SgtSteel91 posted:

I’ll get to it eventually, but Trails of Cold Steel 3 doesn’t allow to you transfer saves from CS2, right?

It's not that it doesn't allow, but more that CS3 was initially made in hardware were the previous games weren't present at the time. So, no, there's no save importing, and honestly nothing much would make sense importing anyway. It's a sequel nearly two years later where Class VII's interactions basically reset.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

It's not that it doesn't allow, but more that CS3 was initially made in hardware were the previous games weren't present at the time. So, no, there's no save importing, and honestly nothing much would make sense importing anyway. It's a sequel nearly two years later where Class VII's interactions basically reset.

That’s… kind of sad in the grand narrative of things, considering where CS2 leaves off :smith:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
IMO it works. As saccharine as the TCoS narrative generally is, the character progression from 2-3 stands out in stark relief to me. (overall character changes) Mind you, the kids mostly level up into better versions of themselves, but I got the feeling that folks had evolved and in some cases moved on a bit.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm only midway through chapter 1, but that doesn't really seem to be true? Everyone still seems super close and all.

I except the only thing that not having a save file transfer means is that Rean isn't dating anybody.

E: Like Rean acts like he's close pals with minor npcs like Munk and Vivi. I can't see any relationship as being reset

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 3, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah 'everyones interactions reset' is just what. The class 7 cast dont get as much focus as a whole but a few of them are still important and theyre all still close, and a couple of them even do get relationship development and such.

I guess they mean the class 7 cast are new to the new focus characters?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I guess that’s another part of it too.

I liked the interactions and relationship development from friends to lovers between Rean and Laura in the first two games. And it’s a little bit of a bummer that gets ignored/reset in the third game

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 3, 2021

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

SgtSteel91 posted:

That’s… kind of sad in the grand narrative of things, considering where CS2 leaves off :smith:

I mean, they still turn out to be a tight knit group -- just one that got split over a long period of time with each of them going on with their lives. Machias growth especially surprised me.

And that basically means no decisions from CS1/2, other than the main beats of what happened, would make sense to import and affect the outcome in the later games.

SgtSteel91 posted:

I liked the interactions and relationship development between Rean and Laura in the first two games. And it’s a little bit of a bummer that gets ignored/reset in the third game

Oh, if it's about that, keep it as your head canon that those events happened as you go into CS3, because Laura pretty much interacts with Rean as you'd expect from people who were intimate at one point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah you can just go the laura bond events/romance routes again in cs3/4 and it works basically fine, its written vaguely enough to justify any of it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The only real change in the dynamic is that Rean has learned to hide his crippling depression/self-loathing better, though this isn't necessarily a good thing

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Y'know I was expecting CS3 to be paced more like CS1 or Zero but there's a whole lot happening in just chapter 1, way more that I was expecting. I know this is a sequel to CS2 but I figured it and CS4 would pair off neatly into a duology like how a lot of the series is laid out, with CS3 being a slower paced introduction but there's a lot of moving pieces already and it got right into the action. A cool 1st chapter.

I remember when I first started playing through the series CS3 was the latest game out and I kinda got the impression feelings on it were mixed compared to earlier titles, but so far this feels like just another Cold Steel game. With the good and the bad that entails (mostly good). I'm glad to be back in Erebonia.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

CS3 is really good it’s CS4 that shits the bed

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I was kinda surprised at the response here being down on CS3 because I honestly thought it was up there with Azure as one of the best games in the series. Its ending hyped me up so much for CS4.

In retrospect, CS3 does feel pointless and cruel given the direction CS4 goes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Y'know I was expecting CS3 to be paced more like CS1 or Zero but there's a whole lot happening in just chapter 1, way more that I was expecting. I know this is a sequel to CS2 but I figured it and CS4 would pair off neatly into a duology like how a lot of the series is laid out, with CS3 being a slower paced introduction but there's a lot of moving pieces already and it got right into the action. A cool 1st chapter.

I remember when I first started playing through the series CS3 was the latest game out and I kinda got the impression feelings on it were mixed compared to earlier titles, but so far this feels like just another Cold Steel game. With the good and the bad that entails (mostly good). I'm glad to be back in Erebonia.
To me it's not so much that CS3 is slower paced, it's that it's perfectly paced go towards exactly nowhere until the very very end and made it feel like you could have just gone straight from A to E rather than going through BCD along the way. Which is not to say that there aren't non-main story stretches in between that make it worth it of course, and what I'd actually prefer is not so much that they outright skip those chapters I just wished they made them feel more consequential rather than thinly veiled excuses to reintroduce characters.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean, I was trying to say that so far CS3 doesn't seem slow paced at all. At least compared to other Trails games.

Though I won't be super surpised if it turns out that way because honestly all that kinda sounds like something I could say to describe a bunch of Trails games. It's not an uncommon issue with the series.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Sorry if this is stupid or has an easy answer, but does the Geofront version of Trails to Azure look for the Trails from Zero saves by default on the C: drive? If so, is there a line in the config file to change?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I actually like CS4 so far, but I have to take it in chunks instead of all at once. Some of the bonding events are new favorites. The fights are a lot crunchier than CS3, since breaking is much more selective about if/when is the best time to do it, instead of "always".

My big complaint is the cutscenes and set pieces with no save opportunities are unreasonably long. How's one supposed to know how long they need to play?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

CS3 was okay. Get to hang out with the characters more, has some aesthetic improvement over the prior games, battle system is still fun. English voice acting is overall great. But the plot is abysmal. It threw away the incredible sequel potential CS2 set up and instead just spins its wheels for 100 hours with a nonsensical plot about chasing scooby-do villains for no reason. Literally nothing happens until the last 30 hours. Also, the old Class VII I cared about is replaced by a new cast of characters I don't care about, which is pretty sad given that they had a 130 hour long game to get me invested in them (the length of the first 2 games combined). It also doesn't help that the new class VII is pretty small (same problem with the SSS).

CS4 is a little better in that it actually has story stuff I was interested in (conclusion to the spooky robot highlander plot), but it also botches a lot of other things. It also dips into the same problems that killed Ao for me.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Sorry if this is stupid or has an easy answer, but does the Geofront version of Trails to Azure look for the Trails from Zero saves by default on the C: drive? If so, is there a line in the config file to change?

If you installed them both using their installer/launcher it'll find the save automatically. Otherwise copy the saves you want to import to [ED_AO]\savedata\SAV1001_1ST and [ED_AO]\savedata\SYSTEM_1ST.

See: https://geofront.esterior.net/2021/05/22/trails-to-azure-eve-the-features-feature/

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol moofia sometimes I agree with you but some of the stuff you say is lol. CS3s cast is too small? lol, if anything its the opposite problem. Cold steels cast is way too large. not only that, since most characters arcs are done by 3, they just become mindless rean bots, praising him all the time, and thats the boys. the girls can't keep their hands off him. can't believe there's no "friend" option for the girl events in CS4, lol.

I really wish they'd have used the time leap from cs 2 to 3 to prune the cast. instead, every cutscene takes like 20 minutes cause you need every cast member to say some stupid characterless one liner

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Cutting the cast would spoil the whole point of their reunion and their working together but separate, using their disparate skills. If anyone should have been cut, it's the newbies, even though I like most of them.

Also, literally no one's arc is done by 3 except for maybe Elliot, which is barely an arc to begin with.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

If you installed them both using their installer/launcher it'll find the save automatically. Otherwise copy the saves you want to import to [ED_AO]\savedata\SAV1001_1ST and [ED_AO]\savedata\SYSTEM_1ST.

See: https://geofront.esterior.net/2021/05/22/trails-to-azure-eve-the-features-feature/

Okay, I was testing it on a different box where I hadn't installed Zero, but just copied over enough of the directory structure from Zero to hold the Zero saves, so I was unsure why it couldn't see them. I just wanted to check to see what the cause was in advance of installing it on my main box.

Ooh, Master quartz debuted in Azure? Nice, that'll probably be handy for changing up builds. And Azure starts in Chapter 5 of Cold Steel 1? Okay, I can already tell this is going to be a ride.

But for the love of Aidios, why on earth would the default keyboard button to bring up the camp menu be bound to the 'H' key???

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 7, 2021

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Ooh, Master quartz debuted in Azure? Nice, that'll probably be handy for changing up builds.

Yeah and it's mostly like it is in CS1 with two big differences:
- it gives elemental points instead of set spells. (with more elemental points as it levels up to the maximum level of 5)
- its own level isn't recognized for level factoring purposes yet.

To elaborate on that last one; in Cold Steel 1, Master Quartz gets a fraction of the xp that characters get but it doesn't matter on what character it's equipped and its own level is factored against the enemies' levels, which is why MQ in Cold Steel usually gets good xp growth at first, then levels up and suddenly earns barely anything for a chapter or so. Likewise, MQ you neglected gains xp at an increased rate if you equip it in end-game dungeons.

That's not how it works in Azure.

In Azure, the xp any MQ gets is 10% of the experience the character it's equipped on gets, no ifs ands or buts, no matter the level of the enemy or its own level. You can see this as early as the prologue if you imported a fairly high-levelled Lloyd (his level carries over) and you suddenly notice that his MQ earns a lot less experience than the one equipped on one of his companions. This means MQs can't "catch up" as easily and once you get to the end of the game and nothing gives your characters good experience anymore, you also lose the ability earn more than 1 xp per battle for your MQ. The game doesn't throw enough experience at you to level up all MQ's to level 5, so while there's no issue changing builds every once in a while, keep in mind which MQs you want to bring to the end-game and which ones you put on the bench because for all practical purposes you have finite xp to work with.

And Azure starts in Chapter 5 of Cold Steel 1? Okay, I can already tell this is going to be a ride.

Probably just a wee little bit before. Chapter 2 of Azure is centered around the Trade Conference that takes place during CS1's Chapter 5.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah, I figured that they'd probably give element points. What really makes builds around MQ's in the CS games is the non-spell bonuses. I wasn't planning on leveling up all the MQ, but it's good to know.

EDIT: Anyway, it was suggested to me that I should give myself the option to see the final bonding event for all all characters in Trails to Azure, which I think means carefully rotating characters between events. Combination crafts gave bonding points in Zero, so I assume it's the same here, and therefore I should avoid using them?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I don't necessarily think a small cast is bad, but Class VII is by far the group that ended up with the best chemistry in the series. And part of that was definitely there being a lot of different dynamics that bounced off each other and drew them together. Also having 4 rear end games, with a timeskip and jobs to further bounce them apart. As well as CS3&4 doing a lot more for Class VII as characters and a group than it did for the Pancake Bracers who were out of their league for 80% of it. Like seriously, I do like them, I'd never imagine a 4th Arc without Ash and Josh meeting, or Altina getting promoted, and Kurt had the best scene in Act 1 of CS4, but giving us a new group of untested children during the big climax made them struggle immensely to be relevant. And it forced Team Liberl and the SSS into supporting roles and a bunch of Class VII's arc conclusions into bonding events, and they still somehow had a better showing than them.

Yeah, I figured that they'd probably give element points. What really makes builds around MQ's in the CS games is the non-spell bonuses. I wasn't planning on leveling up all the MQ, but it's good to know.

EDIT: Anyway, it was suggested to me that I should give myself the option to see the final bonding event for all all characters in Trails to Azure, which I think means carefully rotating characters between events. Combination crafts gave bonding points in Zero, so I assume it's the same here, and therefore I should avoid using them?

My friend made a bonding point thing I can link you, it does assume you find a Zero save that went through the game 3 times though for the final bond bonding points that carry over, so you have to account for that if you don't.