Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I can’t find the mower sweet spot for our tiny flat urban-ish lawn. We have about 250 sqft of grass in an L-shape with fence right next to it. Our reel mower would be perfect except the placement of the fence makes it difficult to get the outer corner and short edges of the lawn mowed, since we have to slow down.

A big electric mower feels like overkill, especially because we have to bring it out of a basement bulkhead each time. But the reel mower isn’t quite doing the job without a lot of trimmer assistance. Any suggestions for little, boxed in lawns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

BadSamaritan posted:

I can’t find the mower sweet spot for our tiny flat urban-ish lawn. We have about 250 sqft of grass in an L-shape with fence right next to it. Our reel mower would be perfect except the placement of the fence makes it difficult to get the outer corner and short edges of the lawn mowed, since we have to slow down.

A big electric mower feels like overkill, especially because we have to bring it out of a basement bulkhead each time. But the reel mower isn’t quite doing the job without a lot of trimmer assistance. Any suggestions for little, boxed in lawns?

Just get an electric string trimmer and whack it

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BadSamaritan posted:

Have you considered a small herd of guinea pigs?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Got the Ego 21" push mower last year and it's great.

I bought an Ego a couple months ago to replace my 22" Toro gas mower and I will say that the suction with the stock blade is terrible. Won't suck up grass clippings on concrete and mulching stinks. Replacing the stock blade with the high-lift blade is a great $25 improvement that will make your life much better.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BadSamaritan posted:

I can't speak to a good mower for your situation, but we got a little Ryobi string trimmer/edger with battery and charger in one package for $120 at HD which we use liberally and it works great. It also takes a fixed blade head which works great for doing the edges, although I don't think that's what it's meant for.

Even on our front yard which is flat and not boxed in, we still have to use the trimmer after using the reel mower.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

I’m going to shortly be taking the plunge into new flooring for my house. Is there any good, unbiased write-ups about LVP vs EVP vs the other TLAs and what I need to look out for?

I’m particularly concerned with the stairs. I’m still not sure how to redo the railings.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

This wooden piece is rotted to hell, but seems like it's easy to pull out and I have a piece to replace it. Is the sealant here regular paintable exterior caulk, or is it glazing putty? If it makes a difference, these windows are single pane plate glass that seem to be glazed in place (house was prefab in the 60s).

Anything special I need to do with the wood when I install the new piece? I was going to cut to length, nail it straight down to the sill underneath it, and paint with the exterior latex paint left in the garage by the PO (assuming it isn't curdled or otherwise gross).

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Looks like glazing putty to me. Sarco dualglaze is the good stuff, but I'm not sure you can buy it in small amounts like DAP. All the serious window restorers seem to hate DAP. Keep in mind that all the glazes you might want to use in place need to cure for a week or two before you paint over them or they're likely to fail in the long term.

Sarco multi cures more quickly but i think needs more protection from moisture while it cures. If you can guarantee a couple dry days you could probably use Sarco.

Aquaglaze from sterling might be a good option for you. Sidler's book suggest it may lose flexibility over time but that might not matter for glass that doesn't move

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Thanks for the info, that helps. Clearly I should have thought harder about the fix before I started screwing with it :suicide:

I'm just here for the next week or so to finish up some things with the house and get the last of my stuff, then it goes on the market because we moved overseas. I would love to fix it in a way that's going to last nearly forever, but the next owner will want to do some paint and glaze maintenance/replacement to the front within a year or so anyway, so I think it'll be ok to use the DAP.

e: JK I'm definitely using the aqua glaze, HD product page says it's paintable in 30 min.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

PageMaster posted:

Anyone have any experience with MagVent dryer vent hoses? We're still using the old crappy foil which catches a lot of lint (and apparently we are supposed to cut to length and extend fully when connecting the dryer to the vent, which we've never done) but this looks like a cool worthwhile upgrade (while also easy to install). I'm just not sure how well it works in actuality.

I'm also curious about this. I'm looking to replace my old crappy foil hose, which has some pinhole leaks. I've read some articles and it looks like 'semi-rigid' dryer duct is better than the flexible foil tubes because it's smoother inside and traps less lint. Anyone have any experience with dryer hose? I'll probably do the magvent hookup with a semi-rigid tube instead of the flexible foil hose.

Also, for inexplicable PO bullshit, I nominate my external dryer vent:

It's mounted sideways and blows lint onto the gas meter. I clean the lint off occasionally. But it's old and lovely, the flap valve sticks partially open, and I'm going to replace it when I re-do the dryer vent.

1. Can anyone conceive of any possible rationale for installing it sideways instead of pointing straight down? What the gently caress

2. Any particular recommendations for the exterior vent cover? Is there any real difference in function or is it just aesthetics?

I'm probably going to go with whatever they have at the hardware store, something like:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-4-in-Plastic-Hood-Dryer-Vent-Cap/3203015
or:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Builders-Edge-4-in-Plastic-Louvered-Dryer-Vent-Cap/3819151

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

Getting a robot mower is the goddamn best thing I ever goddamn helling did. It even cured the mossy area behind the house, lawn has never looked better (well OK we've had no rain for a month now so it's got a lot of brown). But holy moly it's nice! Niiiiice!!!!!!

I want more info about this. What mower did you get? How big a yard?

Motronic posted:

I enjoy throwing on a set of noise canceling headphones and listening to podcasts or music while I put around. I get this is not a universal thing, even before, but not that people had existential dread about a job that could be hired out cheaply.

I like the mowing part on my lawn tractor; it's the weed wacking the perimeter part that sucks. Getting covered in trimmings, trying to avoid Lyme disease.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

B-Nasty posted:

Yes, this please. We bought a nice Honda walk behind when we bought our house, but that was like 1-2 years before battery powered walk behind mowers became really viable.

We're on 0.2 acres, so even though I don't really hate mowing it'd be nice to take that chore off my list. Probably wouldn't swap the Honda for an electric just yet, but if robot mowers are viable then sign me the gently caress up.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 30, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sous Videodrome posted:

dryer vent stuff

Hey man, I have a foil duct too where I moved and my inspector said it was a safety issue and I should get it replaced some point soon. How are you aware there are pinhole leaks in the foil duct?

Not positive how big of an issue it is, but I felt comfortable leaving mine for now.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I called the right guy to clean my fence, he has a serious setup. Totally worth $300 for as much fence as I have. Had him clean the playground too while he was here, might as well re-stain that while I am doing the fence.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 30, 2021

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I have owned 3 Ego mowers and loved them all. My current one is the self propelled select-cut and it's a beast. I upgraded to it purely for its leaf mulching ability which is superior to the older models.

I gave my brother my old one and my mom and girlfriend liked it so much they both bought one.

I'll never go back to gas lawn equipment. The last gas thing I have is my tiller, but as soon as there is a good Ego one I'll probably buy it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

devmd01 posted:

I called the right guy to clean my fence, he has a serious setup. Totally worth $300 for as much fence as I have. Had him clean the playground too while he was here, might as well re-stain that while I am doing the fence.

You got pictures of the fence for us, any before/after?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

SpartanIvy posted:

I have owned 3 Ego mowers and loved them all. My current one is the self propelled select-cut and it's a beast. I upgraded to it purely for its leaf mulching ability which is superior to the older models.

I gave my brother my old one and my mom and girlfriend liked it so much they both bought one.

I'll never go back to gas lawn equipment. The last gas thing I have is my tiller, but as soon as there is a good Ego one I'll probably buy it.

I have only owned 1, but I also really really love my Ego mower. Just a vastly superior tool to the gas powered ones in my opinion, and like the above poster, I am never going back.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Are these electric mowers significantly lighter than gas ones? My new yard has some decent hills and my gas mower is a huge pain in the rear end to push across them, even though it's self-propelled.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

devmd01 posted:

Tag yourself, I'm the sweet hat hanging on the back wall.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

Are these electric mowers significantly lighter than gas ones? My new yard has some decent hills and my gas mower is a huge pain in the rear end to push across them, even though it's self-propelled.

Electric motors are all torque, it'll climb.

I love my eGo.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

B-Nasty posted:

I like the mowing part on my lawn tractor; it's the weed wacking the perimeter part that sucks. Getting covered in trimmings, trying to avoid Lyme disease.

I got a Husqvarna 310 and I have about 800m2 of lawn. I posted more about my lawn here and how I got it ready.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892694&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=20

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Elder Postsman posted:

All-wheel drive is an option for gas mowers. No idea if any electric mowers have it, but it's something you can get if you need it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Elder Postsman posted:

Yes, they are lighter in my experience. All the gas mowers I've used have had steel decks in addition to the heavy motor.

I was wary of polymer decks at first but I've not had any problems with mine and they don't rust which is really nice.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Elder Postsman posted:

I mowed a ton of grass as a teenager, using many different mowers. Self propelled were always worse than push. They're so much heavier, the drive barely compensates for the added weight, and maneuvering is terrible. Dunno if any of that is different now or vs electric

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Epitope posted:

I mowed a ton of grass as a teenager, using many different mowers. Self propelled were always worse than push. They're so much heavier, the drive barely compensates for the added weight, and maneuvering is terrible. Dunno if any of that is different now or vs electric

I have a newer (3years or so) self propelled mower and that thing flies if you want it to.

Next mower will def be electric but I plan to run this thing into the ground.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Anyone happen to have any knowledge or experience with Panasonic WhisperGreen Select fans?

Along with insulating and air sealing the house (which I'm having professionals do) I've been given the advice to install a continuous ventilation fan in the bathroom, since after air sealing the house won't breathe as much on its own. I was looking at the Panasonic WhisperGreen Select anyway, then I got someone to throw a continuous ventilation fan on a larger quote they gave me (that I didn't end up going with) and they were going to do the Panasonic WhipserGreen Select, so I feel like I'm on the right track there. This is something I feel confident I can do on my own.

To run it in continuous mode, there's a module that can be attached that will ramp up the fan to full speed on a signal from a light switch, then turn it off after a determined period of time. To attach it to a light switch you run power directly to the fan, then you connect two red signal wires from the unit to the switch, such that flipping the switch completes the circuit and activates the higher fan mode. What I can't figure out from watching their videos or reading their documentation is how the switch interacts with that timer. Does the timer start after the switch is turned off? Does the timer start as soon as the switch is turned on (meaning you'd have to flip the switch off and then on again to restart the fan)?

E: Typing all that out made me search on YouTube and I found a video explaining how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAy7YDM0Nuw. It appears it's the first option I described, where it runs at high speed while the switch is on, and then when you turn the switch off, it continues to run at high speed for the time set on the timer, and then when time is up it goes back to low speed.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 30, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Epitope posted:

I feel the same way.

I guess I should ask, what's the best electric non self propelled mower?

That's been harder to find since the most premium offers are all SP

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

What would have been the trick to mounting this fan competently?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

BonerGhost posted:

What would have been the trick to mounting this fan competently?

Not having it on the beam and instead mounted to the ceiling on either side with a longer extension. The base does not have to be level or anything.

Or fabricating some kind of box that slips over the beam to build it out a little more and make it look like it belongs there.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

No matter how hard I neglect it my Toro Recycler is 11 years old and still cuts like a champ. All I’ve had to do is replace shear keys a couple times.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

That Works posted:

I feel the same way.

I guess I should ask, what's the best electric non self propelled mower?

That's been harder to find since the most premium offers are all SP

Ego makes non-self propelled versions of their top end mowers as well. If the model ends in "SP" it's self propelled, if not it's a standard push.

This is their top end multiblade model without self-propelled features.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-21-IN-PUSH-MOWER-SELECT-CUT/1003130740

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FCKGW posted:

Ego makes non-self propelled versions of their top end mowers as well. If the model ends in "SP" it's self propelled, if not it's a standard push.

This is their top end multiblade model without self-propelled features.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-21-IN-PUSH-MOWER-SELECT-CUT/1003130740

Thanks!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That Works posted:

Anyone got a newer battery powered mower? Thoughts?

Tired of fixing the ancient push mower I have and the yard seems just small enough to mow in 30-45 mins so I figured it might work.

I'm a big fan of corded electric mowers and want to recommend that you try one. They are cheaper, lighter, and never have to be recharged.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

I'm a big fan of corded electric mowers and want to recommend that you try one. They are cheaper, lighter, and never have to be recharged.

Counterpoint: they're corded.

Checkmate.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I have a corded lead blower my mom gave me and having to drag the cord around my lawn is miserable. I'll probably end up getting the Ego version and using the battery I've already got to power it. Corded lawnmower is probably ok for a tiny square of lawn with absolutely no obstructions to get the cord hung up on, and a PITA otherwise.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Johnny Truant posted:

Counterpoint: they're corded.

Checkmate.

I find it annoying enough to use my corded edger and hedge trimmer, but I only use those a couple times a year max.

I'd sooner cut each blade of grass with a dull butter knife than use a corded mower every week.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

DaveSauce posted:

I find it annoying enough to use my corded edger and hedge trimmer, but I only use those a couple times a year max.

I'd sooner cut each blade of grass with a dull butter knife than use a corded mower every week.

Yup. When I was a teenager my pops got a corded one and didn't believe me that it was the worst, since I was always the one tasked with mowing. I told him alright pops, just mow the lawn once, tell me how it is.

We had a cordless mower that same day :wotwot:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I made good money in the early 2000s as a teenager mowing yards, doing hedge trimming, etc. The second time I cut through an electrical cord with a hedge trimmer, I was sold on cordless entirely; the technology didn’t really catch up until 5 years or so ago IMO.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Maybe a long shot, but does anyone own a newer(ish) gas Wolf range? Looking at the manual it says to connect to the female inlet on the range:

I looked at the back of a couple other brand ranges and they all had female connections into their pressure regulators.

However, this is the back of my range:

The tube is also not really held solid in place (I can shake it up and down, and it's very obviously a male connection. Was hoping someone else might be able to say if this is right or not (or the same as theirs) before I shop for adapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

PageMaster posted:

Maybe a long shot, but does anyone own a newer(ish) gas Wolf range?

My in laws have a new Wolf gas cooktop, and we will be over at their place later today, I'll see if I can get an eye on the connection.