Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

My dream casting for the next Doctor is going to be the same every time we hit a regeneration

Who's this?

Riz Ahmed would be amazing, but hes doing Sandman atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Rahul Kohli, most notably from I Zombie. I fuckin love this man and his work.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Instead of dream doctors, how about weird doctors? Doctors whose overall vibe goes in a direction that the show hasn't done yet?

(White guy questions aside...) I'd be interested in seeing what someone like John Bradley West (Sam from Game of Thrones) would be like in the role, though I don't know if he specifically would be up to the challenge.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Rhyno posted:

My dream casting for the next Doctor is going to be the same every time we hit a regeneration

That would be loving excellent.

And count me in with those gutted to see Jodie go. As Sydney Bottocks said, this little video Jodie did last year was some of the most Doctory stuff ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0ED6CGmjm4

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The only thing that the Doctor cannot be is American.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

A.o.D. posted:

The only thing that the Doctor cannot be is American.

Why?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
An American Dr Who would be an order of magnitude less likely to be a terf

(Kohli's cool, I'd be very down for that)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CommonShore posted:

Instead of dream doctors, how about weird doctors? Doctors whose overall vibe goes in a direction that the show hasn't done yet?

(White guy questions aside...) I'd be interested in seeing what someone like John Bradley West (Sam from Game of Thrones) would be like in the role, though I don't know if he specifically would be up to the challenge.

I'd love to see Ian McShane in a Doctor or Doctor-like role

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I would argue the Doctor's most defining feature is their Britishness.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

A.o.D. posted:

I would argue the Doctor's most defining feature is their Britishness.

One of them, Venkman I think, has a line about not bothering to learn your name since you'll likely quit or run screaming in a few days anyway

Not even sure how that one happened. Nothing to see here

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 30, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

jivjov posted:

I'd love to see Ian McShane in a Doctor or Doctor-like role

Rassilon.

jivjov posted:

One of them, Venkman I think, has a line about not bothering to learn your name since you'll likely quit or run screaming in a few days anyway

Wrong thread.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

jivjov posted:

The_Doctor posted:

Wrong thread.

To be fair, I could see a theoretical parallel universe Bill Murray playing the Doctor have a line like that to a new companion.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

CommonShore posted:

Naveen Andrews
Nicholas Burns (though he was in it already as a char but imagine a more Nathan Barley doctor)
Ben Whishaw
Noomi Rapace
Luke Newberry (great in In the Flesh)
Ricky Tomlinson as a no shits given you do what I tell you to do now doctor

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just now caught up on the thread, thinking the huge unread post count was about Sly or Tom dying or something, and man am I torn on the news.

Whittaker deserved so much better than beige-rear end malaise-era Chibs :sigh:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Yes, Ian McShane as Rassilon and Dame Judi Dench as Omega.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Jason Statham as the Doctor. Deals with every enemy by covering himself in oil and headbutting it with a snarl of "wankah!"

Wouldn't be the first Cockney Time Lord. "Awright, Feytah Sigmah?"

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 30, 2021

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Payndz posted:

Jason Statham as the Doctor. Deals with every enemy by covering himself in oil and headbutting it with a snarl of "wankah!"

I can see the Viz comic cover blurb now. "Wockney Canker meets Doctor Poo" :v:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thandie Newton, Ruth Negga, Hayley Atwell, Abigail Thorn, Chris Barrie, Natalie Tena, Aidan Gillen, or Nicolas Hoult.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I now want Limmy to play The Doctor.

"Eh yuu gun gi da wean a boh uh waa?"

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I want the comedian Miranda, she is great at physical comedy and would maybe bring some "not every season has to be about the end of the entire galaxy or some dark revelation" energy.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

A lot of showrunners could benefit from a "it doesn't have to be grand and epic and new to be good" epiphany

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

happyhippy posted:

Noomi Rapace

That would be so loving awesome.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jo Martin
Nathan Stewart-Jarrett
Diane Morgan
Amanda Abbington
Gillian Anderson
Rege-Jean Page
Jo Martin

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Payndz posted:

Delgado was apparently full legit cockney by birth so that's been done

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm less concerned about casting the Fourteenth Doctor right now and more interested in hiring a showrunner who will average more than 5.8 new episodes of Doctor Who per calendar year. Ideally, double that!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Alternatively, if the BBC is only gonna go 3 episodes a year then they should trick Bryan Fuller into being the showrunner so when he decides to walk out after three glorious, perfect episodes he discovers that was all they were gonna give him anyway.

Plus it means we get Gillian Anderson involved!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Big Finish writer Rob Valentine has a few suggestions:

For Showrunner:

https://twitter.com/MrRobValentine/status/1421061137823588354?s=20

And for Doctor ...

https://twitter.com/MrRobValentine/status/1420764026212999171?s=20

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Payndz posted:

Someone drew this up a few years ago, ill see if I can find it.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

Rhyno posted:

Rahul Kohli rules. He and T'Nia Miller were absolutely stunning in Bly Manor. (I think she'd be a fine choice, as well.)

But I've been rooting for Paterson Joseph since the revival started and I'm not gonna stop now.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Blind Azathoth posted:

Rahul Kohli rules. He and T'Nia Miller were absolutely stunning in Bly Manor. (I think she'd be a fine choice, as well.)

It would also piss off a lot of people who need to get pissed off which is additional points for Rahul and T'Nia.

But yes if someone hasn't experienced Rahul, watch iZombie where he is a funny geeky sidekick, and then watch Bly Manor where... he is very much not.

Dude's got range, and he's an OG nerd so he probably appreciates Doctor Who.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I found Rhyno’s Twitter account

https://twitter.com/nermian12/status/1420752751353483267

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've been saying he'd be great since the iZombie debut and a lot of people agree, so many that at one point before Jodie was cast there was some noise about it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I could see them going for Himesh Patel maybe, or do you think he’s too big now?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

I could see them going for Himesh Patel maybe, or do you think he’s too big now?

Did anyone actually go see Yesterday?

nobody liked Tenet all that much either

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I feel like getting a really good Showrunner on board is much more important than having a really good Doctor. Certainly from my perspective I think really cool plots in my sci-fi time travel show are going to lead to more entertainment value than seeing a really good doctor fight the Daleks in a poorly structured and plotted episode.

It's not going to happen, but I'd get a kick out of a ridiculously famous and successful British actor coming in to be the Doctor for like, literally one or two seasons. I think you could do some fun storytelling with a doctor who isn't around that long (especially when you know that's the plan right from jump), and it'd be wild to see an actor like Martin Freeman or Daniel Craig in the role. Getting a mega-star in the mix might be practical, scheduling wise, if they want to do about four mega-specials instead of a full season (because of COVID) as well. I'm aware that "cast the famous mega-star" is like, the worst type of studio note, but I can't imagine it not being a fun ride. This line of thinking reminds me of how the Perry Mason HBO show turned out REALLY good, and I certainly liked who the got to play Mason in it, but then I found out Robert Downey Jr. was a producer on it and almost came in to play Mason and immediately I was like drat that would've been fun to see.

The show's been going forever, so at this point I'm most intrigued by seeing the show do things it hasn't done before in its long history. That's one reason I haven't minded Chibnall's stuff, since while it hasn't hit the highs of the Moffat era it's definitely willing to take some big swings to change the Doctor's story and origins.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 31, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hugh Grant isn't busy these days.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

gently caress that, go off brand crazy, what's Ronald Moore up to?
gently caress that, what's Alan Moore doing lol

Oh god they should go full crazy and cast an actual child

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 31, 2021

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I'm still pulling for Richard Ayoade, personally.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Part of me would like to see a showrunner who isn't an elevated fanboy that's obsessed with making their permanent mark on DW history and lore; but then I remembered that the guys behind Game of Thrones weren't GRRM fanboys either, and they ended up taking that show from pop culture phenomenon to culturally irrelevant in the space of the final season, so maybe that's not necessarily the best approach either. :v:

I hope whoever gets the show is more like the people who oversaw The Mandalorian's two series; they acknowledged SW lore, and while there were some dud moments (and a few "I KNOW WHAT THAT IS :buddy:" things that were clearly inserted to please the diehard SW fans), overall I felt the showrunners did a fine job. In fact I'm kind of wanting to do a rewatch now. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Favreau and Filoni are massive fanboys though, especially the latter.

Personally I could care less if the next showrunner has ever even seen an episode of the original run. My only requirement is that they’re capable of producing a consistent number of episodes every season every year instead of the fits-and-starts nonsense we’ve had since basically 2010. Anything else is just a bonus.