Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
*Inconvenienced, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/USNINews/status/1420486819666436103?s=19

Spending 20+ years in the Navy getting to the rank of CAPT and they dying to a preventable disease.

That's a big lol from me

And he was a doctor.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Interestingly, the latest version of CNAF 3710 expands aircrew rest requirements to maintainers as well. Minimum 8 hours *uninterrupted* rest time every 24 hours. If you don't want someone flying fatigued you don't really want someone fixing an engine or hooking up flight controls while fatigued either.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

lightpole posted:

8 to 5, 30 min coffee breaks at 10 and 15, 15 min dirty clean up period so lunch is 1145-13 and end at 1645.

6 and 6 sounds terrible. Why wouldn't you just go 4 8 8 4 or 12s? I realize an 8+ hour watch is balls but at least you get an 8 hour block to try and sleep. Can't be any worse on performance than being extremely sleep deprived.

4-8-8-4 might work but I think there might be some limitation on how long you can be on watch in one stretch, or it’s a CBA thing.

12 and 12 on bridge watch is a bad idea. Bridge watch is boring as gently caress. Until it suddenly isn’t.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

12 and 12 on bridge watch is a bad idea. Bridge watch is boring as gently caress. Until it suddenly isn’t.

Can confirm. 4 hours is fine, 6 is stretching it.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I used to kind of like 6-12 but port and starboard can suck the poo poo out my rear end.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
How is so boring you can't stand more than 6 hours of watch a thing? I've done 12s in plants and 8s in the engine room, its not that bad. Just sit under a blower and make the junior do a good round.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

lightpole posted:

How is so boring you can't stand more than 6 hours of watch a thing? I've done 12s in plants and 8s in the engine room, its not that bad. Just sit under a blower and make the junior do a good round.

It's not that you can't, its more that somewhere by hour 9, the fact you've only seen two ships in the last nine hours might catch up to you and build complacency and the costs of complacency are catastrophic.

There are strategies around that, and I would advise anybody embarking on such a strategy to have very strict contact management procedures, personnel with periods of higher than normal focus that gets rotated (the bridge watch equivalent of a rove) or some short relief periods (15-30min) scheduled for bathroom breaks, snacks or just to clear your head--something to structure the behavior. But these will feel artificial, inject additional watchstanding/sleep strain unless you have spare watchstanders, and will be opposed by watchstanders tooth and nail.

I begin to lose faith in lookouts I haven't heard from in 30 minutes, I can't even imagine a lookout after staring at the ocean and reporting exactly one roro at 22 miles six hours ago.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I lost faith in lookouts altogether by the first week of my first underway.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1420738937526624261?s=19

I still remember watching that video in boot camp.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I lost faith in lookouts altogether by the first week of my first underway.

I remember one lookout report "Dead astern... Lookout reports a red light, a green light, and a white light between them. About 40 yards..."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hahahahaha so I called ECRC to talk to Pay about my issue of them taking back all my money. I patiently explained to the dude and he puts me on hold.

"So while I was reviewing your pay issue I noticed you got sea pay for June when you were at ECRC that hasnt been taken back yet."

DUDE.

TAKE CARE OF MY MISSING THREE MONTHS OF PAY FIRST BEFORE YOU TAKE BACK THE loving $100 DOLLARS.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Crab Dad posted:

Hahahahaha so I called ECRC to talk to Pay about my issue of them taking back all my money. I patiently explained to the dude and he puts me on hold.

"So while I was reviewing your pay issue I noticed you got sea pay for June when you were at ECRC that hasnt been taken back yet."

DUDE.

TAKE CARE OF MY MISSING THREE MONTHS OF PAY FIRST BEFORE YOU TAKE BACK THE loving $100 DOLLARS.

Welcome, at last, to the Real Navy.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
8 hours of watch is fine and being on a 24 hour rotation is way better than 18 hours. Head reliefs at the halfway mark were standard on my sub. The only downside to it was being evening watch because the command only ever wanted to run drills during the day, in your oncoming. But unless your command super sucks, it's not like they're doing drills every drat day.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Crab Dad posted:

DUDE.

My finances were hosed my entire career. The AF cut me a check for almost 20 grand when I separated.

Helping you is not the priority.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

MonkeyFit posted:

8 hours of watch is fine and being on a 24 hour rotation is way better than 18 hours. Head reliefs at the halfway mark were standard on my sub. The only downside to it was being evening watch because the command only ever wanted to run drills during the day, in your oncoming. But unless your command super sucks, it's not like they're doing drills every drat day.

the only time we did not do drills every day was when we were on station doing special poo poo.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

piL posted:

It's not that you can't, its more that somewhere by hour 9, the fact you've only seen two ships in the last nine hours might catch up to you and build complacency and the costs of complacency are catastrophic.

There are strategies around that, and I would advise anybody embarking on such a strategy to have very strict contact management procedures, personnel with periods of higher than normal focus that gets rotated (the bridge watch equivalent of a rove) or some short relief periods (15-30min) scheduled for bathroom breaks, snacks or just to clear your head--something to structure the behavior. But these will feel artificial, inject additional watchstanding/sleep strain unless you have spare watchstanders, and will be opposed by watchstanders tooth and nail.

I begin to lose faith in lookouts I haven't heard from in 30 minutes, I can't even imagine a lookout after staring at the ocean and reporting exactly one roro at 22 miles six hours ago.

The watchstanding crew on the average freighter these days is one (1) officer and no (0) rating. At night you get an AB. You’re usually required to have a deadman alarm that goes off if you don’t hit a button every fifteen minutes but… yeah.

A six hour watch in fog is what convinced me to go ashore. Starring at a radar for six hours straight does things to your brain.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/jaredbkeller/status/1420850686326095879

Any word yet on whether the accused was a despondent gay man?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Stultus Maximus posted:

https://twitter.com/jaredbkeller/status/1420850686326095879

Any word yet on whether the accused was a despondent gay man?

idgi

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Iowa_turret_explosion

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Rather than admit incompetence and laziness killed a bunch of sailors the Navy claimed it was a suicide sabotage attempt because one of the dead sailors was secretly gay.

Really

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Rather than admit incompetence and laziness killed a bunch of sailors the Navy claimed it was a suicide sabotage attempt because one of the dead sailors was secretly gay.

Really

And the navy still has not walked that claim back either.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

My understanding is the final investigation by GAO pointed to the powder bags, and it so happened that the guy in charge of the previous investigation that claimed the sailor was doing gay suicide had been directly responsible for green lighting those powder bags in his previous posting. The navy still refuses to accept the final report.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Oh. Thank you for explaining. :(

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
No one died as a result of the fire, right?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

A.o.D. posted:

I'm sure a whole lotta people breathed in stuff that's going to certainly shorten their lives in the long run.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

No one died, but there were a lot (over 60) of smoke inhalation injuries and it led to a pretty serious COVID outbreak down in San Diego.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
TIL that Improper Hazarding of a Vessel in peacetime is a capital offense.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Holy moly my buddy returning from Japan was on the Shiloh and worked with Mims the hide and go seek champ.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Crab Dad posted:

DUDE.

I went to disbursing every other week for almost 6 months trying to get my comrats sorted. Every single time they would have no record of my previous visit but oh, "we'll get this filed and you can come back in 2 weeks if it isn't in your paycheck".

Finally, after receiving orders to a new command that had a yeoman who actually did stuff i had all the back pay in the next check.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

A.o.D. posted:

TIL that Improper Hazarding of a Vessel in peacetime is a capital offense.

😳

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I didn't notice until after I filed my taxes that my ostensibly tax-free months of October, November, and December weren't reflected anywhere on my LES or W-2.

I'm sure this will be appropriately identified and corrected next year. :shepicide:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I should clarify that's Willful Hazarding. A negligent fuckup that causes the loss of a ship (or aircraft) is a lesser, but still court martiable offense.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wonder what happened to the dudes in the Honda Point Disaster

E: Wikipedia had the answer

"The seven-officer Navy court-martial board, presided over by Vice Admiral Henry A. Wiley, commander battleship divisions of the Battle Fleet, ruled that the disaster was the fault of the fleet commander and the flagship's navigators. They assigned blame to the captain of each ship that ran aground, following the tradition that a captain's first responsibility is to his own ship, even when in formation. Eleven officers involved were brought before general courts-martial on the charges of negligence and culpable inefficiency to perform one's duty. This was the largest single group of officers ever court-martialed in the U.S. Navy's history. The court martial ruled that the events of the Honda Point Disaster were "directly attributable to bad errors and faulty navigation" by Captain Watson. Watson was stripped of his seniority, and three other officers were admonished. Those officers who were court-martialed were all acquitted. Captain Watson, who had been defended by Admiral Thomas Tingey Craven, was commended by his peers and the government for assuming full responsibility for the disaster at Honda Point. He could have tried to blame a variety of factors for the disaster, but instead, he set an example for those others by accepting the responsibility entirely on his shoulders. A Court of Inquiry recommended Cmdr. Roper for a Letter of Commendation for turning his division away from danger."

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 1, 2021

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Pays to be a noble drat

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Very true, very accurate

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Just lol’ing at the idea of a junior sailor killing a bunch of people accidentally but getting a slap on the wrist because they took responsibility

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Genuinely surprised that the captains of the ships which refused to follow the idiot didn't get their careers killed for disobedience.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Stultus Maximus posted:

Genuinely surprised that the captains of the ships which refused to follow the idiot didn't get their careers killed for disobedience.

They probably would have been if the other ships hadn't run aground (like, if they hadn't been quite so far off course and it was only a very close call or something). The great catch-22 of risk management is that you can rarely point to a single thing and say "this is over the line and we shouldn't do it", especially when someone else crosses that line without incident, so there's a tendency to keep pushing things a little more until something catastrophic happens. In this case, there was immediate evidence that they made the right call, but usually it's not so clear-cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
What's absolutely astonishing is that Captain Watson was allowed to finish out his career and retire.

I mean, it wasn't an act of sabotage, or even one of criminal negligence, but it was the single biggest loss of hulls since the action against the CSS Virginia and wouldn't be matched until Pearl Harbor. I don't get how he wasn't drummed out of service.