Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

:ohdear: are they loving it?

Are... are we not supposed to be loving it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

:ohdear: are they loving it?

why do you think people refer to good soil as "fertile?"

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

you dont need to drive 12 hours to see your cousins... or their kids.

I was well into my 40's before I realized this. Why am I torturing myself to visit people that I don't even really like?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

People who don't flush after using a public toilet should have their head forcibly dunked into the bowl they left

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Family get togethers become much more tolerable when you learn the fine art of going in the back room to take a nap and not giving a poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hazardousmouse posted:

why do you think people refer to good soil as "fertile?"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My family now knows that I have to go and have some quiet time during meet ups. They try and help, but it's nice that I am not forced to take part in things if I don't want to.

doverhog posted:

Also Josef bugman, what are you doing to enjoy life? Like what is the highlight of your day/week/month.

and to answer this, not as much as I probably should. Having to shelter in place for a bit means I can't meet up with friends and will miss out seeing my parents for several days which is a bit saddening.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 17:11 on Jul 27, 2021

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Josef bugman posted:

My family now knows that I have to go and have some quiet time during meet ups. They try and help, but it's nice that I am not forced to take part in things if I don't want to.

I was pretty lucky as a kid that most of my extended family had dogs, so I could just go hang out with the dogs when the social gatherings were overwhelming. This was long before I knew why I needed this, but there were many family parties where my parents would find me asleep in my Uncle's deck with one or two of his dogs.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I was pretty lucky as a kid that most of my extended family had dogs, so I could just go hang out with the dogs when the social gatherings were overwhelming. This was long before I knew why I needed this, but there were many family parties where my parents would find me asleep in my Uncle's deck with one or two of his dogs.

That’s adorable

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Josef bugman posted:

and to answer this, not as much as I probably should. Having to shelter in place for a bit means I can't meet up with friends and will miss out seeing my parents for several days which is a bit saddening.

My PMs are always open, if you ever want to do a discord call and shoot the poo poo or play some old games and zone out I’m here.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My PMs are always open, if you ever want to do a discord call and shoot the poo poo or play some old games and zone out I’m here.

Thanks for the offer, I do have a few discords I hang out on, but it's just that I really do prefer seeing people in person.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Josef bugman posted:

Thanks for the offer, I do have a few discords I hang out on, but it's just that I really do prefer seeing people in person.

:same:

But if anyone in here is ever super loving bummed or feeling alone or whatever, send me a PM or something and we’ll talk.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I have been waiting for Blizzard and WoW to die for over 14 years. This whole situation might just grant that wish.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My extended family lives ~1700 miles away so I've always been lucky in that family meetups aren't really a thing aside from the occasional wedding or funeral or planned vacation. I'm almost always happy to see them because there's enough time in between these events for me to forget why they bother me, and by the time I remember we're usually all about to leave.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The remake of Final Fantasy III for the DS is fun to play and I hate that people poo poo on it every time they bring it up

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
There is nothing less interesting than the personal drama of members of rock bands. "Didn't you hear? Lars and James got in a fight about..." No. I cannot care. "But Axl is in rehab again because..." No. Shut up.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can't think of a single time learning about a band persons history has improved their music. Contrast that to films where it's happened quite a few times. The opposite has happaned a lot though, I liked Pink Floyd a lot more before I realized what a whiny oval office Roger Waters was.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I can't think of a single time learning about a band persons history has improved their music. Contrast that to films where it's happened quite a few times. The opposite has happaned a lot though, I liked Pink Floyd a lot more before I realized what a whiny oval office Roger Waters was.

Yeah seeing the work and inspiration in behind the scenes vids and interviews has legitimately improved my enjoyment of many movies and TV shows.

Whereas music it's like "and this is when we decided to add the snares, also I think I was on coke when we did our studio recording. Wow, amazing, thanks.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

To quote Nick Mason, he was "very poor at sharing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU5jT1gdYHM

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Do you guys care what the violinist for your favorite orchestra thinks about genocide? If you did would it change the way you enjoyed his work on a performance of Danse Macbre?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

fizzymercury posted:

Do you guys care what the violinist for your favorite orchestra thinks about genocide? If you did would it change the way you enjoyed his work on a performance of Danse Macbre?

If I knew that a musician was a genocide denier, I wouldn’t listen to their work, yes

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

fizzymercury posted:

Yes actually. Death of the Author is some freshman level bullshit. SMG couldn't make a good case for it and you are not SMG.

It is in fact a wholly viable, healthy, and mature position to recognize the merit of a work while also recognizing that its creation was tied to something you do not and cannot in good conscience support. This manifests as a spectrum around many edge cases.

Is it ok to buy the White Album? I don't know but I'll be a dead man before you take "Hey Jude" from me, even if knowing its backstory makes it less-than-pure. Woody Allen is another classic example, in which case yes I am totally fine never buying anything that I know he is associated with, because I don't support child rape. On the other hand lots of artists like Scientology or back Polanski, even though both of those things bother me. Am I never going to see Ant-Man again because Michael Pena is a Scientologist? No, I'm going to make the choice to see it even knowing that I'm not a good person for doing so. But I will choose to never bother with The Pianist, even if it's probably a solid movie in isolate.

This is called "being able to hold multiple opinions at once" and "recognizing that there is no such thing as ethical consumption, especially under capitalism" and "finding and owning your choices accordingly." It doesn't make you better or worse for being able to compartmentalize or rationalize these things either, but it is a better way forward than playing ping pong scoring points about who is the real monster here. Because the answer is all of us. We are all the monsters. The only difference is what you chose to compromise on.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
okay but who is SMG?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't know what's the SMG with you?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

fizzymercury posted:

My Favorite movie is Chinatown so I obviously don't discount works with horrible people at the helm. However, I don't think knowing about the artists of a piece of music has ever enhanced the experience of listening. AnalyzingChinatown with the knowledge it was made in the wake of Tate's murder, and Polanski's subsequent paranoia makes the film more interesting. Another lens to view the work, as opposed the the Neo Noir, or post studio era analysis.

With music learning of the band is either null, Did you know Lorde is New Zealish? Wow!, or makes the experience worse, see any Britney song.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think we understand DotA a little differently

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't play that nerd poo poo

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't give a hot red poo poo about what a creator does tbh

I'm gonna watch my terrible shows and read my terrible books and play my terrible games because feeling an ounce of guilt or self-righteousness about what media you consume is both stupid and narcissistic

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

who needs integrity anyways?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nothing like posting red hot "I don't give a gently caress" in the "unpopular opinion" thread on SomethingAwful on a Friday night to let everyone know how much cooler you are

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Vashro posted:

okay but who is SMG?

SuperMechaGodzilla, a notorious poster

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
problem is, it is inevitable that one's worldview and Opinions will seep into one's creative output (unless it's like some kind of a design-by-committee kind of thing, in which case the result tends to be a stew of worldviews and Opinions of everybody involved :v:)

if said worldview involves, say, considering certain kinds of people to be inherently, undeniably worse than some other kinds of people; or, say, some, uhhh, interesting ideas on the topic of age of consent, it'll eventually show up in that person's creative output in some shape or form. if you're aware of the author having this kind of worldview, you may start noticing it in their art, and it might negatively colour your perception of it, which is totally fine and even good, i'd say

no work of art can really be decoupled from its context - i mean, you can certainly try, but it's an exercise in futility for a variety of reasons. the identity of the author is central to this context (even if the author is anonymous or it's a collective work). which is why i don't think that "death of the author" is all that pertinent of an argument

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

nurmie posted:

which is why i don't think that "death of the author" is all that pertinent of an argument

9 out of 10 times "death of the author" is just used to mean "dont judge me for continuing to support this creator that I know is lovely"

I've seen it be spewed forth so much lately in regards to JK rowling. Progressive people who are fully aware of her politics, and vocally oppose her, still buy harry potter merch because something something "i can disconnect the art from the artist"

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Manager Hoyden posted:

I don't give a hot red poo poo about what a creator does tbh

I'm gonna watch my terrible shows and read my terrible books and play my terrible games because feeling an ounce of guilt or self-righteousness about what media you consume is both stupid and narcissistic

It really seems like almost a full time job for many goons on this website.

edit: hobby -> job

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 12:03 on Jul 31, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And on the other hand you get a whole bunch of weirdo goons giving each other handjobs about how little they care. Like we get it, weaponized apathy is a really easy way to feel superior without having to do or risk anything, but the 90s was thirty years ago, the whole Gen X "too good to care" schitck looks tired and immature.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

PHUO: Caring about things is good actually

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I agree. That’s why I care so much about DONAL TEUNP

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

PHUO: I agree with the above but, I also don't think paying more than a cursor glance at large-scale politics is worth it.

To put it clearly: Local politics is fine and good to pay attention to, because it's actually something you can do something about. You can write to your MP or write to your local police chief and it might be read and bring about some change, you can join committees and movements and actually bring about local reform.

What I don't understand is people who watch speeches by Trump or Boris or Farage just to get angry at them. My mother does this and I have to wonder, why?

Like, I can look at The News and see that Boris Johnson has told another lie. Ok, what am I going to do about it, storm parliament? What good can possibly come from me being Informed that politicians at a level I cannot possibly hope to affect, have decided to privatise more of our public health system, or are putting the economy over people dying, or are betting on hedge funds while driving our country off a cliff called Brexit.

This ties into my material situation where I'm unable to attend protests due to disability and poverty and stuff, and my mental situation where I'm actually super depressed a lot of the time, so cutting out The News has had a positive impact on my partners since they don't have to deal with emotional dips because more people are bombing each other or putting money over lives.

Likewise I have a partner in the states that really, really gets distressed to the point of tears about stuff that happens in the senate and poo poo that last year's POTUS did and I totally, absolutely understand her distress, but then she will go back to read the news and get distressed all over again and we have to talk her down from suicidal despair

I just don't get it, I don't see what the benefit is of having this information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Also I feel it's inherently different from media. With media you're buying a product, so learning that the one guy has outstanding assault cases or is lovely about the age of consent or whatever. All of that ties into a decision on what you're spending your time on, and what you decide to buy.