Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Medenmath posted:

I'm glad people are enjoying it!

I forgot they had Moon Maid dating Astro Boy for some reason.

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 30, 1946)

No fake mustache, alas.

Such great faces in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

I love the slack-shouldered, stooped posture. Great visual storytelling in just a single frame. (Aleta looks like every character in Intelligent Life, but for a reason.)

I wonder if anyone ever wrote about the people he used for models, or his process? Or if he drew everything from manikins.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

mama mia

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 30, 1946)

People are rightly praising the faces but my favourite is Aleta's pose in the first panel here, especially the right arm gripping the cloak. Really conveys her emotions.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

You know, I agree, I love me a good nightmare.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Medenmath posted:

No fake mustache, alas.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Herman the Heathen

Carema reference explained:
https://www.thelocal.se/20111102/37116/

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (September 2, 1995)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: Things look grim for Dusty and McClure, or MIGHTY BOOT, or Sexism is over!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Somehow I think we're gonna get a lot of mileage out of this internal meme

I was gonna do one where she twirls the end of the stache but that would have been a bit much

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Dick edition)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's throwing me that at any point people wouldn't immediately know Dr. Who, but I guess it hadn't quite popped off in the mainstream in 2008?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

So much for my murder plot theory :(

The Phann-tommmm

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I just don't understand why he went through all the trouble of getting rid of the Morgans many windfalls happening out of nowhere and the Sarah the Genius stuff to just go right back to it suddenly like this.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann has clearly never been or met a child; all this is so baffling to her. Like, just play along, Luann. Who's going to see you besides your family? She's planning to teach elementary school.

(And yeah, she does work at a daycare. Or did. We haven't seen her there in ages, but we never saw her actually quit/get fired either. Maybe because the Evanses went and tied morality to this job? Like, Tiff is a bad person and an unnatural woman because she doesn't like working at the daycare, so if Luann quits...)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sorry

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Herman the Heathen

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

It's throwing me that at any point people wouldn't immediately know Dr. Who, but I guess it hadn't quite popped off in the mainstream in 2008?

Everyone I knew in 2008 was watching the Doctor Who relaunch (mostly illegally). The trouble here is that he's dressed as one of the Doctors you'd only ever have seen if you watched it on PBS (or if, like me, you are a huge loving dork)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin under Sail

Oh hey, it's these guys again.
A pirate can have little a rum, as a treat.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pastry of the Year posted:

Everyone I knew in 2008 was watching the Doctor Who relaunch (mostly illegally). The trouble here is that he's dressed as one of the Doctors you'd only ever have seen if you watched it on PBS (or if, like me, you are a huge loving dork)

But you repeat yourself.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

:allears:

:allears: :allears:

You're a goddamn champ Russel.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dammit everyone beat me to it.

Hel posted:

People are rightly praising the faces but my favourite is Aleta's pose in the first panel here, especially the right arm gripping the cloak. Really conveys her emotions.
I love the look in her eyes in the first panel, too. A great mix of "I am going to murder someone" and "God why did I do this to myself".

The Dinette Set is not suitable for mixed company.

Working Daze hopes someone is updating the wiki.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix might have to double-book.

Cul De Sac loves a captive audience.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I just don't understand why he went through all the trouble of getting rid of the Morgans many windfalls happening out of nowhere and the Sarah the Genius stuff to just go right back to it suddenly like this.
Ran out of ideas, I guess.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

there was a perfectly good "children's book author plagiarizes child's story" storyline right there

and this is what they went with

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Is... is this just straight up a joke about jerkin' it in the newspaper funny pages?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Kazinsal posted:

Is... is this just straight up a joke about jerkin' it in the newspaper funny pages?

Eh, you can read it that way, or you can read it as Jeremy just kind of sliding from topic to topic online and getting to see some amazing natural stuff. How many times do you go through a random thread here and get a link/tangent on some cool thing you never knew about before?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I the the best part of this Prince Valiant arc is that they made it clear nobody was fooled by Aleta, and that they did make sure to give her at least one chance to bathe. Lets Val and the rest be clever, and shows him being rather considerate.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I like that it poked fun at Aleta without making her any less badass and without making it read like old timey-style misogyny punishing a woman character for being cool.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That's kind of what I mean. It is a thing between equals, not somebody being put in their "place".

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Victory Taco (August 7, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (September 18, 1918)

Gay and Her Gang (September 13, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (February 14, 1936)

Mopsy (April 15, 1937)

Up Front (May 27, 1944)

Dark Laughter (December 6, 1947)

Those Were the Days (July 15, 1953)

Wee Pals (November 4, 1965)

Dogbert March 7, 1966

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
She didn't fail at things for the crime of being a woman, she failed due to having basically zero experience with the practicalities and culture of it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (September 18, 1918)

This one's pretty drat funny because the guy True beats up is quite right - the Germans were "licked" and would throw in the towel two months after this was published. Except that has to be an accident because nobody saw it coming.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Slammy posted:

Victory Taco (August 7, 1918)

And He Didn't

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Gnoman posted:

This one's pretty drat funny because the guy True beats up is quite right - the Germans were "licked" and would throw in the towel two months after this was published. Except that has to be an accident because nobody saw it coming.

On October 5th, one week after the actual ruler of Germany General Ludendorff told the Kaiser the war was unwinnable, the Germans sent a diplomatic message to President Wilson asking for peace on the terms of his 14 Points- Britain and France didn't like that, and then Germans started balking at Wilson's demands that the Kaiser abdicate. That kept negotiations and the fighting going until the November Revolution forced Ludendorff's hand.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That wasn't the first peace proposal, and it wasn't really expected to lead to the Armistice. Particularly in public discussion. And even October 5th is most of a month after the comic in question.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack
It's baffling how he can write this and be completely tone deaf to his company story the rest of the time.

Slammy posted:

Oaky Doaks (February 14, 1936)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tznde3MhD20&t=21s

B Kliban

Spoiling because, well, everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

duz posted:

Such great faces in this.

I'm convinced that the artist had to be using either models or movie mags for references here, because Aleta's faces are right out of a contemporary film.