Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Has anyone in the comics or novels etc., ever gotten face-hugged and produced twins? Triplets? Some kinda octo-mom poo poo but xenos?
That happens in ‘Aliens: Labyrinth’, and is a tech tree upgrade for the Xenos in the AvP: Extinction RTS videogame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Has a face hugger ever gotten face hugged?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

No, but there was a comic where a dude had a bad acid trip and saw Aliens getting facehugged and giving birth to baby humans (Aliens: Havoc, wild fuckin’ comic, the whole comic is drawn from the first person perspective and jumps from character to character, and every page is drawn by a different artist).

There’s also one where a dude has a bad reaction to a drug that’s meant to make you unappealing to Aliens and hallucinates about Aliens flying biplanes and poo poo (Aliens: Survival, also a wild fuckin’ comic).

There’s also a comic that features a mutated pink chestburster that makes people explode and melt Raiders of the Lost Ark style if you come in contact with it (Aliens: Kidnapped)
Said pink chestburster actually shows up as a creature players can encounter in the new Alien RPG Colonial Marines supplement, which is pretty lol

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Maya Fey posted:

ive always been bad at recognizing actors from one film to another but im watching t2 and i just realized the mom is vasquez from aliens

I just watched Near Dark last night and Vasquez, Hicks, and Bishop were in it. Also the biker in Terminator 2 that Arnold takes the clothes, boots & motorcycle from.

Xenomrph posted:

James Cameron likes reusing actors. :v:

Kathryn Bigelow getting sloppy seconds.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Maya Fey posted:

ive always been bad at recognizing actors from one film to another but im watching t2 and i just realized the mom is vasquez from aliens

I'm pretty bad at remembering actors' names but usually decent at recognizing faces, like "Oh hey where do I know that guy from..." (the answer is William Fichtner and he's from HEAT) but Jenette Goldstein is a chameleon in those roles, it actually blew my mind when I realized that's Vasquez.

Xenomrph posted:

No, but there was a comic where a dude had a bad acid trip and saw Aliens getting facehugged and giving birth to baby humans (Aliens: Havoc, wild fuckin’ comic, the whole comic is drawn from the first person perspective and jumps from character to character, and every page is drawn by a different artist).

Oh yeah that one was great. Unless I'm thinking of a different MAD artist, I think one of the pages is drawn by Sergio Aragones.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

That happens in ‘Aliens: Labyrinth’, and is a tech tree upgrade for the Xenos in the AvP: Extinction RTS videogame.

Holy poo poo I've never heard of this game. I would have loved an AvP RTS.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really excited for that upcoming Aliens Fireteam game because ever since I saw Aliens as a kid I just wanted to see more colonial marines lay waste to xenos. But then Alien 3 went off in some totally other direction, Aliens: Colonial Marines was a mess, and Blompkamps Aliens sequel got scrapped. The AVP games were alright but I don't care much for the Predator stuff.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I remember seeing this in a gamespot magazine or something, but it was a console only release. RTS games were among some of my favorites as a kid but I didn't own any consoles so I couldn't play it :(

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ah that's probably why I never heard of it.

PC for life bitch.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm pretty bad at remembering actors' names but usually decent at recognizing faces, like "Oh hey where do I know that guy from..." (the answer is William Fichtner and he's from HEAT) but Jenette Goldstein is a chameleon in those roles, it actually blew my mind when I realized that's Vasquez.

Oh yeah that one was great. Unless I'm thinking of a different MAD artist, I think one of the pages is drawn by Sergio Aragones.
Yep, Aragones drew one of the pages.

Also if you want a good time with William Fichtner, watch Drive Angry.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It’s fun, but it’s got some problems. There’s no skirmish mode, there’s only the story mode for each faction. It controls shockingly well for an RTS on a console, too. There’s also no multiplayer.

The reason there’s no multiplayer is because the species are not balanced AT ALL. Whatever species you’re playing as is immensely buffed up, and whatever you’re fighting against is radically weaker than they are when you play as them.

That doesn’t mean they’re not fun to play. Each race has some super-cool units that are a blast to use.

There’s an Alien level where you have to start a hive from scratch and you start out with 1 facehugger and eventually overrun a whole facility with a massive mob of Aliens, it’s mega satisfying.
There are Carrier Aliens that can carry a half dozen facehuggers on its back, they can wade into a crowd of enemies and then just spring all the facehuggers out like jack in the boxes and instakill a half dozen enemies (and create a half dozen new Aliens)
The host you facehug determines what kind of Alien you get, and then you can evolve new traits and new sub-species from some of them. PredAliens are awesome and can “upgrade” themselves by killing enemies so they get more hit points and do more damage. If you keep them alive long enough, they can become stronger and tougher than Queens.
Aliens are easily the most fun to play, but the other races have cool stuff too.

Predators have a bunch of gimmicky dudes (wristblade guy, spear guy, ranged guy) but there’s a sniper unit who is a colossal badass and there’s one Predator level based around taking down an entire enemy base using just one sniper dude, it’s really cool.
The Predators also get late-game units that are basically their version of “military tech”, and they’re completely loving devastating.

The Marines get all the staples from the movie (flamethrower guy, smartgun guy, pulse rifle guy, synthetic), but they also get that huge mech suit from the last level of the Marine campaign in AvP2 for PC. You can upgrade it with arm cannons that fire stacked ammunition using the Metal Storm system, two mechs back-to-back are completely unstoppable and can hold against infinite enemies, it loving owns.

https://youtu.be/AEu9LLQpOF8

The Marine unit models are actually all based on the character models from AvP2, and the game’s narrator is even the same voice actor for Harrison (the Marine player character from AvP2).

The game also has a super-elaborate bestiary that explains all of the units, weapons, and upgrades in a really detailed “in universe” format, it’s really cool if you’re into that kind of thing.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Quick question re: Alien comics - are they at least treated better than the Predators are in their own comics, where they're basically loser fuckface nerds? I mean, it's pretty hard to come back from getting outsmarted and then literally eaten by a Cajun hillbilly armed with just a dad 'gum scatter-gun.

Or hey, remember when a Predator went up against a Victorian bobby and couldn't hit the loving broadside of a barn while he's pretty much standing 3 feet away from the fucker?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Have you not seen Predator 2? Some predators are just kind of lame

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Splicer posted:

Have you not seen Predator 2? Some predators are just kind of lame

Yeah, but even the lame-rear end loser Predator in Predator 2 still managed to take down Bill Paxton and Gary Busey. That's got to count for something.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bill Paxton was the best. :(

How do I get out of this chicken poo poo outfit?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

There’s also one where a dude has a bad reaction to a drug that’s meant to make you unappealing to Aliens and hallucinates about Aliens flying biplanes and poo poo (Aliens: Survival, also a wild fuckin’ comic).

There’s also a comic that features a mutated pink chestburster that makes people explode and melt Raiders of the Lost Ark style if you come in contact with it (Aliens: Kidnapped)
Said pink chestburster actually shows up as a creature players can encounter in the new Alien RPG Colonial Marines supplement, which is pretty lol

Thank you, this got me to digging around Aliens: Omnibus Vol. 5 and holy poo poo there are some classic ringers doing work in here-- Corben, Byrne, Wrightson. Impressive stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

I really am impressed with how much stuff they packed into that RPG lol

That reminds me of one of my favorite Italian films, Contamination. A movie where some plot is going on to spread alien eggs around the earth. When humans are in proximity they activate and pulsate and stuff and then explode getting goop all of you. If any goop gets on you then after a little while you, explode. Real deal planet-clearing bioweapons courtesy of Luigi Cozzi and an incredibly baller Goblin soundtrack in 1980.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6bMP8sF1GA

Italy also gave us the films ALIEN 2: ON EARTH and TERMINATOR 2: SHOCKING DARK way befor ethe official movies made it out, "ALIEN 2" unfortunately is really really lovely, but fortunately the trailer shows all the best parts hehee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sMxen6TBPQ

TERMINATOR 2: SHOCKING DARK (also released as Alienators) is something else though liberally taking uh inspiration from both Aliens and Terminator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9LG_tEdDow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8eJ87SVd-0

Italy also gave us the absolute God Emperor of Predator ripoffs, ROBOWAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IV4g19TXrA

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 31, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Alien setting mentions cyborgs and stuff but like if you're a human and you get a cyborg arm or something is it like a purely mechanical Terminator-esque limb or is it still more of a grown thing like and android?+

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
That Isolation speedrunner guy was sent a horrific new mod tor try: no items bar the access tuner and cutting torches, and 2 aliens that can drop at any time after leaving Seegson Communications. One bit in the Gemini Labs was ridiculous, he was cornered by both, hiding behind the shelves near the ladder. One of them kept looking around before deciding to check out the other side of the shelves, and he only managed to escape because the other one was busy 3ft away looking under the desk he decided not to hide under.

Christ knows how he’s going to get through the reactor later.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Neo Rasa posted:

The Alien setting mentions cyborgs and stuff but like if you're a human and you get a cyborg arm or something is it like a purely mechanical Terminator-esque limb or is it still more of a grown thing like and android?+

Impossible to say. Between a bunch of marines who presumably get injured a bunch even in peacetime (like real soldiers) and the guy in the wheelchair in Resurrection they had the opportunity to show cool Terminator limbs and didn’t, take from that what you will.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

the only thing we know for sure: milky goop is the secret to advanced robotics

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Torquemada posted:

Impossible to say. Between a bunch of marines who presumably get injured a bunch even in peacetime (like real soldiers) and the guy in the wheelchair in Resurrection they had the opportunity to show cool Terminator limbs and didn’t, take from that what you will.

For what it’s worth, the lieutenant in the Colonial Marines game had a prosthetic robotic leg from the knee down.
I don’t know if the new RPG supplement covers that kind of thing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

For what it’s worth, the lieutenant in the Colonial Marines game had a prosthetic robotic leg from the knee down.
I don’t know if the new RPG supplement covers that kind of thing.

Ha that was going to be my next question, IIRC the main book does offhandedly mention humans/marines with cybernetic augmentation and limbs but doesn't go into detail beyond that.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Fun thing if you look at JUST Alien 1 and nothing else, during the scenes where folks are eating Ash doesn't eat food, he just drinks milk. Do androids not have to eat? Was he just trying to appear more human by consuming something?

Was this just all the milk he drank during their entire trip lol

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Prof. Crocodile posted:

https://twitter.com/BBolander/status/1418034727517310987

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

this is a magnificent tweet, but i'm not sure it's accurate. wasn't lance henriksen also full of milky goop in aliens?

or am i thinking about one of the countless other movies where lance henriksen was killed/dismembered?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Yeah, Bishop was full of dairy, but at that point the android tech had been established and was a decent enough shorthand for gore for them to get away with.

Now that I think about it, Aliens doesn't really have as much gore as you might expect for a flick like that.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Lance Henriksen also got food poisoning because the milk/yogurt combination they used in the film curdled under the studio lighting and he presumably swallowed a bunch of it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Oh yeah, that's an irresponsible combination. You probably could have gotten the same effect from a thin mixture of water and corn starch. But movies being very bad about health and safety is pretty standard isn't it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Now that I think about it, Aliens doesn't really have as much gore as you might expect for a flick like that.
Aside from the Chestbursters neither of the first two flicks is nearly half as gory as the reputation would suggest. Even for their time.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I wonder if people remember how gratuitous it was when Ash and Bishop got mangled and misremembered every human death as being that blood-spewing?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Aside from the Chestbursters neither of the first two flicks is nearly half as gory as the reputation would suggest. Even for their time.

The only onscreen deaths in the first one were Kane, Brett, and Parker (and Ash, though given he was an android you could say he just got violently powered off rather than killed :v:). IIRC, The latter two had blood but weren't super gory (especially in comparison to the earlier dinner table scene with Kane and the chestburster). And Dallas and Lambert's deaths were both implied rather than actually shown.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah, when I was thinkin' 'bout them Aliens and what the bloodiest scenes were, the only one that really came to mind was Kane.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Dallas and Lambert's deaths were both implied rather than actually shown.

You do sort of see Parker get bitten, and Ripley comes across their corpses immediately afterwards. This is the scene that disturbed (and saddened) me the most in the movie. Lambert is just paralyzed with fear the entire time, Parker tries to distract the creature but fails, and then it turns back to her; there's an especially disturbing shot of its tail moving between her legs. The camera cuts to Ripley's POV running down a dark hallway as Lambert shrieks.

It reminds me also of one of my favourite little parts of Alien: Isolation's nods to the film: If you're sprinting, it does a pretty good job of imitating the exact camera shake from Ripley's POV. Try it sometime (but really don't, sprinting is a bad idea in that game).

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

in the case of the first movie, that john hurt chestburster scene was so intense, and so much more visceral than what other movies were doing at the time, it likely had a gore-halo effect that covered the whole movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

there's an especially disturbing shot of its tail moving between her legs.
Fun moviemaking fact: those weren’t her legs the tail was going between, that shot was snipped from one of the edited bits of Brett’s death.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Prof. Crocodile posted:

in the case of the first movie, that john hurt chestburster scene was so intense, and so much more visceral than what other movies were doing at the time, it likely had a gore-halo effect that covered the whole movie.

Definitely yeah, the movie does a great job of making you imagine extremely gory deaths for everyone. Aliens similarly, I know there they're actually attempting to capture people but the editing in that movie is so good, every death is super tense. The scores for both do a lot of work for that too.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The only onscreen deaths in the first one were Kane, Brett, and Parker (and Ash, though given he was an android you could say he just got violently powered off rather than killed :v:). IIRC, The latter two had blood but weren't super gory (especially in comparison to the earlier dinner table scene with Kane and the chestburster). And Dallas and Lambert's deaths were both implied rather than actually shown.

The term you're looking for is "retired."

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Android Apocalypse posted:

The term you're looking for is "retired."

Have you ever violently powered off a human by mistake?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

currently watching and thinking 'bout Aliens

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The recent flurry of posts was some primo aliens chat

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Can someone post a link to that website with all the free alien and predator comics. I remember getting linked to them from here and want to get my comic on. Its where I finally read the labyrinth comic and saw it was just as hosed up as people say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Definitely this + the fact that the Xenomorph design is such an SSS-tier movie monster. It's probably gauche to mention a crappy YouTube series, but the Honest Trailers on "Aliens" makes a good point that the Xenos actually get chumped pretty easily and aren't that threatening if you have a modicum of preparation/common sense, but man are they scary-looking. "It's like a combination of scorpions with a sex toy factory."

And yes yes I know "preparation/common sense" being actually quite rare and undercut by soulless capitalist overlords is like the overriding theme in the franchise. Yes.