Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

MiddleOne posted:

He did a great job as the sidekick/puppy in Spartacus.

Yeah he has a big impact for a guy who wasn't on the show long, and it's the role that launched his career. It's pretty much been a decade of okay yeah he sucked in that but really Jai can be good I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The doo doo flu bc sometimes it makes you doo doo

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

ALFbrot posted:

Oh my god lol the video is still up

Please do yourself a favor and watch this in headphones, but remove the left headphone from your ear

https://www.ign.com/videos/2007/06/20/live-free-or-die-hard-movie-clip-exclusive-clip-f-35

This was amazing! And now there is at least one copy of that file not on IGN's server in case it ever disappears

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

joylessdivision posted:

Yes. and these people are wrong

:hmmyes:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

MacheteZombie posted:

I feel like I'm one of the select few that will be looking forward to this. I bet it gets no budget and the ocean life feels more like a pool life

That sounds lovely lol

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

This is good if you like this type of humor like me, but if you don't you are probably raging

quote:

Taika Waititi's Animated 'Flash Gordon' Movie Is Now Live-Action

Two years ago, Taika Waititi was hired to take a crack at an animated Flash Gordon movie, but in a recent interview timed to the release of Disney's Jungle Cruise, producer John Davis told Collider that the project is now being developed as a live-action film.

"Taika is writing it. It was a movie that was a huge influence on him growing up. It is one of his favorite movies. He initially said to me, 'Let's do it animated.' I said, 'Okay.' Then we got into it and started developing it and he said, 'No, let's do it live-action.' I said, 'Even better.'"

"He has the most fantastically interesting vision for this movie. And you can only know it is Taika. It is what he does. It is the way he looks at the world. He is the greatest guy in the world. He is the funniest guy in the world. And he thinks on a different plane. And this movie embraces everything that's special about Taika, and his vision," said Davis, who said that Waititi hopes to surprise audiences with his updated take on the character. "It harkens in a very interesting way to the original conception from the comics," he revealed.

In terms of getting Waititi to actually direct the Flash Gordon movie, Davis feels he has an advantage over other projects vying for the filmmaker's attention because Waititi himself wrote the script.

"Well, he's writing it. So when somebody writes a script that they're going to direct, they're obviously going to really like the script, right? So you get a big leg up, right? A lot of times, you go to a huge director with somebody else's script and he's got to reinvent it. They've got to make it their own. They've got to... whatever. This is going to be Taika-ready," explained Davis, who has been planning this project for years.

"I've been talking to Taika about this movie since I first saw his Thor," said Davis, though his interest in Waititi dates back to 2016's charming adventure comedy Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

https://collider.com/taika-waititi-flash-gordon-movie-live-action-new-details/

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm glad that project's getting a chance

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't care about the subject matter, but Waititi is fantastic and I'll give anything he makes a try.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

JoJo Rabbit has been his only real misfire for me so I'm definitely willing to give his Flash Gordon a shot.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Len posted:

I think Frank's been updated to an American soldier in the middle east? He's at least been killed and brought back to like twice. Once when he came back as an angel and once as a Frankenstein monster. I think he's got cosmic powers now?

The Thomas Jane and Jon Bernthal Frank Castle are GWOT and/or Iraq War vets, which vibes well with the character these days.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I thought JoJo was fantastic, but I can understand how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I thought JoJo was fantastic, but I can understand how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

I had zero interest in Jojo and thought Thor 3 was pretty meh, but I'd definitely be into seeing his spin on Flash Gordon

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

I feel like I'm one of the select few that will be looking forward to this. I bet it gets no budget and the ocean life feels more like a pool life

Yeah, people are underestimating how well-received Waterworld is nowadays. If you hang around the Wasteland Weekenders, it's basically part of the post-apocalyptic canon among them, along with Mad Max films and Fallout, which eventually accumulated in one of the groups buying part of the Deez prop and hauling out there for a few years, until it was destroyed in a wind storm.

Also, a lot of people had more exposure to the Universal Studios theme park stunt show (which is still going on). It's had a good 25 years to wash the stink of failure off of it, so I would no doubt see it being continued.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I thought maybe he was flying too close to the sun when Jojo Rabbit was first announced, but he he pulled it off fantastically. I’ll gladly watch anything he makes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Waterworld became such a high-profile disaster people got into it, it seems, like a B-movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Jojo Rabbit felt like some kinda ok magical realism ww2 movie from 1998 i woulda seen on vhs or something
It honestly felt toothless, dated, pretty basic, and misguided to me

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Jojo Rabbit felt like some kinda ok magical realism ww2 movie from 1998 i woulda seen on vhs or something
It honestly felt toothless, dated, pretty basic, and misguided to me

Sounds like the perfect movie to usher in the Biden era.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That awful looking Clifford film adaptation has been pulled from Paramount's theatrical release schedule over COVID concerns

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1421289769733169156?s=20

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/amyis_trying/status/1410054853888413701

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

That awful looking Clifford film adaptation has been pulled from Paramount's theatrical release schedule over COVID concerns

Yep definitely COVID and not everybody making GBS threads on the look of Clifford. They definitely aren't going to redo their big red dog effects.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean, how do you do that properly? What is the right way to do a live action version of that?

And yeah if you're gonna redo Flash Gordon, Waititi is probably the best guy to handle it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Payndz posted:

They reportedly smashed up literally hundreds of cars for that chase, but I was pretty :aaa: when I learned how much of the whole sequence was CG. There are some shots where they filmed live action, then replaced so much of it in the computer - there might be part of an overpass wall or whatever left from the original shot, but 95% of the frame is new - that you wonder why they didn't just do the entire thing digitally. It's the vehicular equivalent of The Thing 2012's "let's shoot puppet monsters, then paint them out and replace them with CG monsters!"

That actually, weirdly, is more impressive to me because I certainly didn't get that impression watching it. Not that I'm going to rewatch it to check this, though.

Alhazred posted:

It's more a pastiche of what Mel Gibson thinks mesoamerican culture was.

Yeah. That's not really significantly different from what I said.

I think part of the reason there was such a strong reaction and such a focus on its realism or lack of is that it's still more or less the only serious film set in a world anything like that. By contrast, 2004-2006 had Alexander, Troy and 300 all set in various ages of ancient Greece. None of them are realistic (two of them aren't trying to be) but, since none is the only version of that world you've seen recently, none's lack of realism particularly matters. meanwhile, for the entirety of mesoamerica, it's Apocalypto and about ten minutes of "The Fountain"

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

I think part of the reason there was such a strong reaction and such a focus on its realism or lack of is that it's still more or less the only serious film set in a world anything like that. By contrast, 2004-2006 had Alexander, Troy and 300 all set in various ages of ancient Greece. None of them are realistic (two of them aren't trying to be) but, since none is the only version of that world you've seen recently, none's lack of realism particularly matters. meanwhile, for the entirety of mesoamerica, it's Apocalypto and about ten minutes of "The Fountain"

It also came out around the time that Gibson outed himself as a massive racist. I think a lot of people were trying way too hard to find a racist message in the film by using any kind of historical inaccuracy to prove that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ego-bot posted:

It also came out around the time that Gibson outed himself as a massive racist. I think a lot of people were trying way too hard to find a racist message in the film by using any kind of historical inaccuracy to prove that.

Oh yeah. It's a film I absolutely understand anyone writing off and not watching. It's just a shame because all of that, despite those reasons being completely valid, it is a really good film. The entry into the city is the best scene of its kind I've seen. We actually start at the outskirts and move all the way through, like it's a real city with actual districts. There's the banality of the slave raid, the way it's just a job. They leave the kids behind because it's too much of a hassle. The old woman is just forgotten. It's so clinical.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

FlamingLiberal posted:

Excuse me, it got pulled because the studio knows Clifford will sue them if they release it on digital and theaters simultaneously

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Tars Tarkas posted:

This is good if you like this type of humor like me, but if you don't you are probably raging

https://collider.com/taika-waititi-flash-gordon-movie-live-action-new-details/

Hopefully they put the original on various streaming services too. Hell lift the whole original soundtrack for the movie while they are at it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean, how do you do that properly? What is the right way to do a live action version of that?
They made sonic right, so it can’t be that hard.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Waterworld became such a high-profile disaster people got into it, it seems, like a B-movie.

Tbh I always had the impression Waterworld got its reputation as one of the worst movies of all time because the public got so wrapped up on all the insane behind the scenes stories that were coming out (Costner demanding his receding hairline be digitally removed, his insistence in shooting in the actual ocean forcing people to be shuttled ashore every time they need to go to the bathroom, Costner staying in a mansion with personal chef, etc) and all the money being spent that it colored their perception of the film. These days we get that sort of thing out of every major project so it’s a lot more normalized. Hell, Titanic came out less than 2 years later and also got the same treatment in the press and it ended up winning a ton of Oscars.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 31, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Disastrous productions getting lauded isn't new even then, given Apocalypse Now, but I suppose the media landscape had changed a lot since then and people would hear about it before the movie comes out rather than after.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Disastrous productions getting lauded isn't new even then, given Apocalypse Now, but I suppose the media landscape had changed a lot since then and people would hear about it before the movie comes out rather than after.

True but maybe the fact that so much of it was wrapped up in Costner's ego had something to do with it. Especially since he wasn't technically the one directing (but at least in certain points he de facto was).

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I don't get why people, especially on film twitter, are so mad about Clifford. It's a kids film about a big red dog getting involved in escapades, it looks harmless and fun for its intended audience of children. It seems like an odd thing to rail against.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Karloff posted:

I don't get why people, especially on film twitter, are so mad about Clifford. It's a kids film about a big red dog getting involved in escapades, it looks harmless and fun for its intended audience of children. It seems like an odd thing to rail against.

Don't you know that kids aren't allowed to have fun?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
No one's mad. Sarcastic adults are having sarcastic adult fun in various sarcastic adult spaces. None of it should be anywhere in the vicinity of any children for whom this might be a magical experience, unless you think 8 year olds are trawling Film Twitter.

It's like saying a Mad Magazine parody ruined a child's experience of ET.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But if I get mad at people getting mad on twitter, I win

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mad Magazine was funny and clever.

Twitter for the most part is not.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Can I get mad that my 3 year old is super excited about the movie which means I will have to watch it 700 times at least.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
twitter has made me laugh more than mad magazine ever did tbh. even as a kid i just thought it was kinda okay, spy vs spy was fun. i'm sure it was mindblowing in the 1970s or 1850s or whatever

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dan Ackroyd is the only dork big enough that I can believe he actually did whatever optional thing is legally required to put that “written with help from the writers and cast of the movie!” line on the box.

Like I can believe he would have given notes about how the containment unit works and how gameplay should be different as a result.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Dan Ackroyd is the only dork big enough that I can believe he actually did whatever optional thing is legally required to put that “written with help from the writers and cast of the movie!” line on the box.

Like I can believe he would have given notes about how the containment unit works and how gameplay should be different as a result.

“PS: Please buy my vodka”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

AceOfFlames posted:

“PS: Please buy my vodka”

I've had the vodka, it's not bad. If you just want the bottle it's worth it.