Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

coiled sword spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this game looks dope as hell, lol at people being negative, you're gonna buy it and love it and play it forever

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i wonder if they'll show anything more at TGS, or if they're going dark from this point forward

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

coiled sword spotted

Cool, I get to either play as Ed Gein or he's a boss. I hope he drops a weapon that's a skullbowl.

"Ed's Shawl of Face O' Grandma"

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

i wonder if they'll show anything more at TGS, or if they're going dark from this point forward
How does Bandai Namco usually handle their marketing?

If the game isn't delayed, then late September could be a good starting point to kick off the hype building and whatnot for the 21-jan-22 release date.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

that whole shawl kinda looks like rolls o fat gamma

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Cool, I get to either play as Ed Gein or he's a boss. I hope he drops a weapon that's a skullbowl.

"Ed's Shawl of Face O' Grandma"
I'm just gonna imagine the hood's eyes and nose are for when he pulls it down all the way - it's more comfortable if he has a indent for his nose.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm just gonna imagine the hood's eyes and nose are for when he pulls it down all the way - it's more comfortable if he has a indent for his nose.

"I'm ShawlMan"

"Face it, you've gotta face The Face"

Etc

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haha

https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1416080597408227328

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

dragwyn

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i love how the FROM response is like "show up or bow down"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
All my 2021 I am preparing for this game.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

VideoGames posted:

All my 2021 I am preparing for this game.

:same:

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

i love how the FROM response is like "show up or bow down"
Even this version will eventually be beaten by a naked guy wielding a broken sword.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Midir is probably the best dragon fight in a Souls game but that's an extremely low bar.

Non-humanoid fights have never been fun, so it's basically easy gimmicks > Midir > bad gimmicks > Dragon God.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dragon God is in the 'easy gimmicks' category though

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

i've only watched someone else play that one but it looked incredibly tedious, i'm basically using "easy" for "quick" here

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Since GRRM is involved, all I want from this game is more Soulslike and an amazing chest.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just want a dedicated skeleton who is being exhorted by players from around the world to keep it up :unsmith:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Midir is probably the best dragon fight in a Souls game but that's an extremely low bar.

Non-humanoid fights have never been fun, so it's basically easy gimmicks > Midir > bad gimmicks > Dragon God.

Divine Sakura Dragon hands down

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sif is good imo (non-human). Souls games have too many humanoid fights at times, they can blur together.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Divine Sakura Dragon hands down

Sakura Dragon is a neat spectacle once but it's awful on replay. There's almost nothing you can do to speed the fight up, it doesn't engage with the game's core mechanics at all, you're just going through the motions of a cutscene that will kill you if you straight-up AFK but is otherwise a foregone conclusion.

This is a very different kind of bad than Midir but at least Midir is a credible challenge, and in some respects kind of feels like an early prototype of Demon of Hatred, who is a vast improvement. (Better camera, more distinct tells, more reasonable total health especially when you factor in Malcontent giving you almost an entire free phase, and most importantly Sekiro has the grappling hook and no stamina meter, so it's not as awful when he leaps across the entire arena and you have to chase after him.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 31, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sakura Dragon is a neat spectacle once but it's awful on replay. There's almost nothing you can do to speed the fight up, it doesn't engage with the game's core mechanics at all, you're just going through the motions of a cutscene that will kill you if you straight-up AFK but is otherwise a foregone conclusion.

Totally disagree, it's fun as hell and just about the most gorgeous thing in the game. It fully gels with the gameplay mechanics, timing dodges and grapples, lightning reversals that mechanically and thematically originate in the divine realm, and the use of the deathblow mechanic from mid air to mortal draw and wipe each group of the dragon flute envoy. It may not be a clashing steel battle but it's entirely consistent with skills the game has taught you up to that point and it's both larger than life and gobsmackingly beautiful.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yeah the Dragon is a good set piece imo and wrestling trees and chucking lightning spears never gets old for me

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
No one likes the ancient dragon from ds2???

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Boss is probably gonna be on paternity leave on January 21...my 2022 has been ruined...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

No one likes the ancient dragon from ds2???

That fight is awful. It has a shitton of health and can one-shot you with fire if you don't know exactly where to run.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I thought Kalameet from DS1 was a pretty good fight.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

WarpedLichen posted:

I thought Kalameet from DS1 was a pretty good fight.

Yeah he’s excellent. I don’t think they really topped him in the mid size dragon weight class.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Midir is poo poo, the ancient dragon is poo poo, trying to actually fight Hellkite is poo poo, can't speak to the others but I don't remember hating Kalameet.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sakurazuka posted:

I never had any problems with Dragon God, but watching streamers you'd think he was the hardest boss in the game for how easily and often they die.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Dragon God is dull because it's kind of arbitrary when the game decides he's sufficiently looking away for you to run from pillar to pillar, and if you happen to mistime it even a bit, he one-shot punches you. Then the whole process resets, and even Bed of Chaos lets you keep your progress in between unsatisfying deaths.

Sanctuary Guardian, Sinh, and Kalameet are all great non-human fights in my book. If we're pulling Bloodborne in, I'd say all the monster fights there are good-to-excellent, even a gimmicky one like Rom at least has some strategy to it.

And Sekiro has THE APE.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

apes are hominid, i would never disparage the monkey fight

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Better monstrous enemies/bosses fights is something From needs to improve on. The humanoids are great and Sekiro has the best duels.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

apes are hominid, i would never disparage the monkey fight

Look the minute something starts flinging poop or farts around, you're entering Monster Hunter territory, and that's good enough for me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

marshmallow creep posted:

I never had any problems with Dragon God, but watching streamers you'd think he was the hardest boss in the game for how easily and often they die.

If you don't immediately twig the gimmick you can die to him very easily

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
So I currently have the ps5 version of tbf game preordered on Amazon but they're saying estimated delivery Jan 26. Wtf, I've got prime binches! Ive never preordered anything off Amazon before so I hope it sorts itself out. Did the same thing when I tried to preorder Hades too, gave me a delivery date 5 days after release

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

skasion posted:

Yeah he’s excellent. I don’t think they really topped him in the mid size dragon weight class.
most of the dragon fights later on in the series are better since they have less fucky collision issues where he rotates around and awkwardly pushes you with his legs. ancient dragon being the exception because it's just really boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
For dragon fights I've always liked Sinh more than Midir. I guess I'd rank them Sinh>Midir>Kalameet>>>>>>Ancient Dragon. Only counting actual dragons here(or artificial ones) so not Gaping Dragon, wyverns, ect.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Dragon God is dull because it's kind of arbitrary when the game decides he's sufficiently looking away for you to run from pillar to pillar, and if you happen to mistime it even a bit, he one-shot punches you. Then the whole process resets, and even Bed of Chaos lets you keep your progress in between unsatisfying deaths.

It doesn't help that they gave him 8 eyes, making it even harder to tell where he's looking.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 1, 2021