Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I know its been posted, but here's a forbidden taste youtube. It talks about how because the flask triggers during the damage instance on you it counters damage and can stop you from getting one shot. Don't use without chaos res or you die after 4s because the flask nukes you for 160% of your max hp with -60% chaos res. There's your tldr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcygczohlrA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

boredsatellite posted:

Couple of contrarians and people who wish they could just blame this on reddit babies throwing a tantrum (some streamers)

Pretty reductive take there.

I think the game is improved for these changes. I miss a lot of the feel PoE had in its earlier days, particularly the challenge to get enough defenses and keep decent dps. These changes did highlight some other issues the game still has but I've never expected ggg to fix everything at once and I honestly prefer this harder and unsolved version of the game.

Since I'm likely going to be called either contrarian or a ggg shill (or both!) here's a list of things I don't like about PoE, particularly in its current state - the length of the atlas grind, the lack of clear info about what killed you, the bad presentation of the gamestate, color design in many boss fights, the inconsistent use of telegraphs, accessibility, the spawn rate of boss fights, how much of leveling is just running from door to door... I could go on. And the changes this league made some of these prior issues more obvious, or more painful. But the things that changed? I'm good with them, especially now they've detuned the mana cost changes somewhat. I'm hopeful that they'll address all of my other issues, I know they will only get some of them, and I'm having fun playing PoE regardless.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Do you guys happen to have some what to buy next for my Dominating Blow Necro advice? :shepspends:

I found my 1st ex from t1 map and bought all the basic items I have now. Currently I have 2ex more and I have no idea what to buy next. I'm not following any build guide, just copied what NL_Kripp did with KrippDominates: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Krippers/characters

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Ihmemies2/characters
PoB: https://pastebin.com/b815SH3W

Any suggestions? Maybe a better 6L armor with life and stuff? :v: Thanks!

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Oh wow lol I'm super casual and never make it to Sirius. I thought you left this world a decent place and hosed off to other, more nightmarish planes of existence with better loot.

You do. The things that exist beyond the dreamlands can also come to base reality if they find a way. The map devices are Elder tech, though the Elder required a mortal to build one reality-side before it could come in. Sirus got mulched together with the remnants of Elder in the seal dimension when he, Zana and the other conquerors sealed it. Problem: Sirus got out and can build a map device on his own.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I really miss my Alchemist's Quicksilver of Adrenaline and how it used to make the delve crawler go fast. Other than that I don't really care much about the changes. I really like having automatic use Bismuth flasks for shock and freeze immunity but I don't like how hard they are to roll.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Going crazy here, whats the pricing on an ilvl 72 6-link short bow that is NOT split?
Cant sort for that in trade site...

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Yes you can. Check Misceallenous filters section.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Going crazy here, whats the pricing on an ilvl 72 6-link short bow that is NOT split?

https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Expedition/42pEM7QC9

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Youre right, there it is.
Guess im going blind on top of crazy, i checked that several times and didnt see it...

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

pork never goes bad posted:

Pretty reductive take there.

I think the game is improved for these changes. I miss a lot of the feel PoE had in its earlier days, particularly the challenge to get enough defenses and keep decent dps. These changes did highlight some other issues the game still has but I've never expected ggg to fix everything at once and I honestly prefer this harder and unsolved version of the game.

Since I'm likely going to be called either contrarian or a ggg shill (or both!) here's a list of things I don't like about PoE, particularly in its current state - the length of the atlas grind, the lack of clear info about what killed you, the bad presentation of the gamestate, color design in many boss fights, the inconsistent use of telegraphs, accessibility, the spawn rate of boss fights, how much of leveling is just running from door to door... I could go on. And the changes this league made some of these prior issues more obvious, or more painful. But the things that changed? I'm good with them, especially now they've detuned the mana cost changes somewhat. I'm hopeful that they'll address all of my other issues, I know they will only get some of them, and I'm having fun playing PoE regardless.

I mean this is basically where I am, I think that some of the moves are healthy in the sense of being more or less the right direction for the game to go. Just the sheer amount of tedium and unfun stuff and the pacing and presentation of the end game feels deeply off to me. And the weaknesses of the story aren't much better: I leveled an alt today and somehow the experience was slower and even more unpleasant than normal, and I say this as someone who normally enjoys leveling (I think I ran the story ~15 times last league?).

quote:

And the changes this league made some of these prior issues more obvious, or more painful

yeah this is really the core of it

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

50% down the tube lmao

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Lets see how low this can go

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Let me trade site that for ya!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm with the "contrarians" saying that the League's fine, not great.

GGG's main fuckup was not introducing a major expansion feature to go with these changes, or perhaps spreading the changes out over more leagues. Expedition is fine but nothing anyone's going to be dying to do in more depth.

At the end of the day it's a 7 year old game. No poo poo people are a little burned out if they've been playing the majority of that time.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This season is starting to grow on me. It's pretty good.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I am admittedly still not far but I think that the league mechanic is pretty chill. Not sure about the rewards, especially compared to the loot explosions of Delerium and Metamorph. More fun than harvest during that league, but a lot less frenetic than Ultimatum. Ritual I thought was a sweet spot.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It is taking me a little longer to clear the atlas, but it's not like I'm hitting a brick wall or anything. I always end up playing the leagues everyone hates the most somehow, but with so many people quitting maybe I won't be able to. As long as I can keep buying and selling, I'll treat it like a regular league. I still see most of the same fellow ultra nerds in 5555 as every league.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

hope you're buying cosmetics

Fun reminder, they increased the supporter pack price by 50% from 60 to 90 right before the league, hoping that most of the whales would still buy the usual and cover the player drop.

External Organs posted:

I am admittedly still not far but I think that the league mechanic is pretty chill. Not sure about the rewards, especially compared to the loot explosions of Delerium and Metamorph. More fun than harvest during that league, but a lot less frenetic than Ultimatum. Ritual I thought was a sweet spot.

While I like the league mechanic and it feels good completing a brief puzzle to optimize loot with the right detonation sequence, the league currency entirely ruins it for me, this is taking me back to clicking on metamorph parts but this time they take up lots of inventory space, it's such needless clicking and adding more of it to the game is dragging down the overall experience.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I think the main things keeping me from being in a hurry to log back in are (1) I've hit that point I've reached before where I'm not sure if I'm at some moment of diminishing returns on a build's power or if I'm just poo poo (with the spicy third option of 'maybe dps is capped lower now because of the patches and I can't actually fix that?'); and (2) I have no idea if I can expect myself to get reliably better at any of the stuff I enjoyed before because it demanded a certain level of speedclearing that the game may or may not be opposed to me easily attaining (alva, legions). The latter probably hurts more because I really liked seeing those mechanics whenever they popped up and it sort of hurts to see one now and go 'aw poo poo, is this where I find out I'm still garbage at them compared to before?'

Also yes clicking chests to click tiny stacks of tiny currency is the worst part of an otherwise fun if not hugely rewarding league system.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

League mechanic is good, clicking currencies isn’t, automated flakes are good, overall reduction in flask power is good, curse changes in particular are bad, spellslingrer destruction is bad, the state of elemental ailments is very bad

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Honestly making triggered stuff like cwdt and coc and spellslinger cost mana takes out a lot of the most interesting ways to play and funniest meme builds, and for what???

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

hawowanlawow posted:

Honestly making triggered stuff like cwdt and coc and spellslinger cost mana takes out a lot of the most interesting ways to play and funniest meme builds, and for what???

Pretty good some old builds disappears to make room for new ones imo!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

and here I didn't even know they were in the way, clogging up the build tubes

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My quicksilver flask constantly being empty is also a nit I'd like to pick about the changes.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Scale base move speed up, further reduce increased move speed availability imo

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Do you guys happen to have some what to buy next for my Dominating Blow Necro advice? :shepspends:

I found my 1st ex from t1 map and bought all the basic items I have now. Currently I have 2ex more and I have no idea what to buy next. I'm not following any build guide, just copied what NL_Kripp did with KrippDominates: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Krippers/characters

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Ihmemies2/characters
PoB: https://pastebin.com/b815SH3W

Any suggestions? Maybe a better 6L armor with life and stuff? :v: Thanks!

Most immediate upgrades I could see would be to buy a lvl 21 dominating blow, +1 strength gem necklace, a better shield like the Whakatutuki o Matua for a big damage boost, finding the mana reservation for adding bonechill and unbound ailments to skitterbots and getting vaal haste instead of a regular haste you probably can't activate.

Captain Foo posted:

Scale base move speed up, further reduce increased move speed availability imo

I've been saying that for years!

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 31, 2021

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The league mechanic has finally reached the famous point of “if they launched like this it would have been fine”.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

I think the game is improved for these changes.

Oh do you?!? WELL LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING MISTER GGG SHILL---

here's a list of things I don't like about PoE, particularly in its current state -

...okay, you've been spared my vengeful internet wrath. For now.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I mean this is basically where I am, I think that some of the moves are healthy in the sense of being more or less the right direction for the game to go. Just the sheer amount of tedium and unfun stuff and the pacing and presentation of the end game feels deeply off to me. And the weaknesses of the story aren't much better: I leveled an alt today and somehow the experience was slower and even more unpleasant than normal, and I say this as someone who normally enjoys leveling (I think I ran the story ~15 times last league?).

I'm not going to even get to maps this league (compare with going 37/40 in Ritual). The changes are just too half-assed - they did the player nerfs, but none of the rest of the monster and loot changes that need to go with it.

Leveling was already a boring chore, now it feels even more like you need to take one of the what, 5-8 really good leveling skills (out of what? like 240 active skills?) or else it's going to take you so much longer. Then grind currency once you hit maps to buy a pile of regret orbs to swap into what you actually wanted to play.

I'm still stoked for PoE2. I'll really enjoy the new campaign there the first time through. Also knowing about the skill gem rework that's so nice (until we find out how hard it is to get 5/6-link gems...), just makes dealing with the current system more frustrating, heh.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

Tenzarin posted:

This season is starting to grow on me. It's pretty good.

I'm in this exact boat. I was skeptical at first but I actually kinda liked having to juke stuff I would normally steam roll in act one, and the nerfs to certain support gems made it so I felt less "bad" about using supports I knew were technically less damage (by a wide margin) but I found either thematically or functionally more fun. An example would be minion speed support. Right now I have skeletons linked to multistrike, minion speed, AND faster attacks and it's hilarious watching their little buzz saw arms. Minion speed is also great if you don't want to put feeding frenzy on your skeletons.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm starting to feel that this season is a love letter from GGG to their fans.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I ditched my ranger and moved onto Shadow. I have embraced the carpal tunnel-inducing fury of Toxic Rain and have made it to Act 6: Act 1: The Sequel.

Now to unfuck my resistances.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm working on the second watchstone rotation so far and the league has been pretty breezy - I'm playing Matth's (I know, dude still makes real good starter builds) FB Miner and it's very low investment for how high-power it is, although it is glass cannon-y to a fault, which I don't mind.

My opinion is that leveling sucks more than it did before now. Act 1 was a chore and there's no reason to make it "harder" if people that play the game slowly won't notice much difference while just playing it fast is hard enough. They changed a bunch of little early-game stuff too in terms of vendor prices and recipes, which is fine for variety but they're all changes that just make the Best Strats worse while still keeping them the Best Strats.

Flask changes aren't great but since my flask management is akin to a stoned hairless monkey's most of the time I haven't noticed it much. Autoflasks are cool tho! Nerfing movement skills is just a feel-bad change, I think nerfing movement in ANY game is a bad decision that makes the game less fun. Plus it just means I have to 20q Flame Dash now and that sucks because buying currency is always a lovely process.

Everything else is okay???? Like, PoE is always in shift so builds getting destroyed is something I couldn't care less about. The league mechanic is decent, although a bit slow, and I like the current economy, stuff is affordable for players like me (not poopsocking into infinite mirror crafting riches). Since you scale super hard in PoE anyway, at the top end you're still trivializing end-game bosses, so...

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

hawowanlawow posted:

This is the biggest Sin to me... it's like Chris Wilson sat down and said "alright everyone, remember the build of the week series? remember Jousis? those things were terrible and we need to make all of it impossible. I hate fun and memes."

My whole life I've loving dreamed for auto-flasks, and when it finally happens the monkey's paw curls and it still manages to be, as one of my non-goon friends put it, "Negative QoL League".

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

xZAOx posted:

I'm still stoked for PoE2. I'll really enjoy the new campaign there the first time through. Also knowing about the skill gem rework that's so nice (until we find out how hard it is to get 5/6-link gems...), just makes dealing with the current system more frustrating, heh.

I suspect there will be some issues with the new gem rework in a "how did they not see this being a issue?" way, like maybe you need a ilvl50 skill gem to 6 socket them making all the gems you picked up while leveling worthless and forcing you to replace them with higher ilvl and relevel them, there will be no indication of this ingame, you need to be told by someone or check to wiki otherwise you'll just think you got bad RNG.

Or maybe your gems start out with 1 socket from the vendor and you end up spamming your entire stash of jewelers orbs on your main skill gem only to have RNG end it on a 2 socket, potentially bricking your character until you get more.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 31, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm playing my first trap build since they changed mines and traps and basically wondering if I have brain damage and completely don't remember how traps used to feel. Because this is awesome. Im leveling with a tabula and once I got the 10% damage per trap ascendancy I was able to one shot each of Dominus's phases in the second or so before he was targetable. Lightning trap is awesome what the gently caress. I've only ripped once so far (in a5 now) and it was a rubber band. Compared to my raider with like 30 deaths by this point. Sure the 6l helps a ton but Jesus.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Vasudus posted:

The league mechanic has finally reached the famous point of “if they launched like this it would have been fine”.

Absolutely, yes.
Got 6 Logbooks since the patch, now it feels like playing a league nistead of standard with more hassle.

Still feel like base currency drops have been cut heavily, as is to be expected with a currency-enabling league mechanic.
1 raw Ex in 90 levels feels like 2014 again.

Still some minor nitpicks, like not getting rerolls for some vendors while stacking rerolls for others, some map expeditions dropping excrutiatingly little of what you explicitly selected and stacked, but aside from that, its pretty "ok" right now.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm playing my first trap build since they changed mines and traps and basically wondering if I have brain damage and completely don't remember how traps used to feel. Because this is awesome. Im leveling with a tabula and once I got the 10% damage per trap ascendancy I was able to one shot each of Dominus's phases in the second or so before he was targetable. Lightning trap is awesome what the gently caress. I've only ripped once so far (in a5 now) and it was a rubber band. Compared to my raider with like 30 deaths by this point. Sure the 6l helps a ton but Jesus.

traps used to feel like poo poo and now they feel like god mode

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I suspect there will be some issues with the new gem rework in a "how did they not see this being a issue?" way, like maybe you need a ilvl50 skill gem to 6 socket them making all the gems you picked up while leveling worthless and forcing you to replace them with higher ilvl and relevel them, there will be no indication of this ingame, you need to be told by someone or check to wiki otherwise you'll just think you got bad RNG.

Or maybe your gems start out with 1 socket from the vendor and you end up spamming your entire stash of jewelers orbs on your main skill gem only to have RNG end it on a 2 socket, potentially bricking your character until you get more.

Keep in mind when they revealed this, they said there would be a way to transfer xp to a new gem

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

traps have always been extremely good. there was a period of the game where no matter what build you were playing you could take fire trap and it would carry you into maps with no passive skill points

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I mean this is basically where I am, I think that some of the moves are healthy in the sense of being more or less the right direction for the game to go.

I think this flavor of take in general is giving them too much credit and assuming some kind of mechanical scientific process when there is none. The reality of the situation is that the game is a shallow, repetitive grind that was hidden behind the double presentation of a clear power curve and mechanics that allow you to exceed that power curve in a bunch of different, interesting ways.

This patch ruined the 2nd part, which was the only fun part of the game, and everyone demonstrably hates it. There's no silver lining here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Fun reminder, they increased the supporter pack price by 50% from 60 to 90 right before the league, hoping that most of the whales would still buy the usual and cover the player drop.

Did they really, though? The 30 and 60 price points still exist, the 90s are a new third tier. I assume this means they will have 50% more MTX total in the packs.

Now maybe they’re not adding that much extra to equal that cost, but I think they’re doing a bit more than just increasing the price for the same amount of stuff.

Also to be honest supporter packs are not really that bad of a purchase, you are still getting a large amount of MTX coins for whatever purchases you want. I’m always buying a couple things a league so it’s makes plenty sense to me to get a pack I like the look of rather than just buying coins directly.

To each their own but I just don’t think supporter packs are a scummy cash grab, I’m quite fond of their implementation of them.