Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you're vaccinated, don't freak out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I still feel very confused about whether a mask can protect you from getting it or not

Like I see people say “well I’m worried about it so I’m still wearing my mask” but I thought wearing a mask stopped you from spreading it to other people, not the other way around

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Badger of Basra posted:

I still feel very confused about whether a mask can protect you from getting it or not

Like I see people say “well I’m worried about it so I’m still wearing my mask” but I thought wearing a mask stopped you from spreading it to other people, not the other way around

A mask will help keep you from getting it, we just can't say for sure exactly what the reduction in risk is because there are a lot of variables involved (the filtration ability of the mask fabric, the amount of air that leaks, the path that leaking air takes, etc) and because measuring how effective a typically worn mask is at filtering inhaled air is a lot harder than measuring how effective a mask is at filtering exhaled air (can't fit a particle counter inside someone's nose) A tight fitting mask with a filter layer is likely a huge help.

Mask guidance has been a mess. The cdc and medical experts really hosed us by pushing the idea that non-respirator masks don't help the wearer at all in an attempt to keep hospitals supplied with PPE.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

Don't freak out but still be responsible and vigilant.

You know, unlike these dipshits:

https://twitter.com/Fritschner/status/1420864720962297862?s=19

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

Don't freak out but still be responsible and vigilant.

You know, unlike these dipshits:

https://twitter.com/Fritschner/status/1420864720962297862?s=19

Well good news, they won't be getting salaries after September 1

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'm masking again because my wife is a caretaker for people that aren't vaccinated.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MikeBoard1200/status/1421139473664983049

womp womp Cancel cultured right into the mountain west

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

aaaaahahahaha

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

I think the big issue came from the fact that facemasks are most effective at keeping mask-wearers from spreading the disease, which was already a norm about facemasks was in Asia, but in America they were trying to construct that norm from scratch, and from that perspective it was more important to try getting everybody to wear a mask instead of just the people who didn't think they were immortal or that the pandemic was a hoax.

Wearing a mask does reduce your own odds of infection, although not as much as it prevents you spreading your own infection, and on top of that, they later figured out that when you do get infected after wearing a mask, the reduced amount of infectious particles leads to a less severe case.

And then there was the whole weird thing where the CDC was very unprepared for the whole thing. The epidemic experts had been fired in 2018, there were no plans for this, the whitehouse was running interference for some god-knows-why reason, and everybody could see that medical supplies for dealing with the pandemic were already running out over in Asia and American hospitals were in danger of running out themselves (especially without any unified agency being given the power to manage hospitals on the national level). So it kinda makes sense why the CDC used what little power they had to briefly try heading off all of those shortages by telling the public at large to cool it. Which was a bad idea. But also the seeming contradiction from that announcement versus later advice is seized on by the pro-virus camp trying to arbitrarily fight against masks and vaccines and lockdowns.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
Welp. My wife's aunt in Corpus Christi died today from non-COVID issues, and apparently the funeral is in a couple of weeks because the funeral home out there is too backed up from COVID deaths to do it sooner. We're already back to that.

Oh, Arkansas' governor (which has even lower vaccination rates) is finally scaling back some of the conservative anti-mask orders and redeclaring a public health emergency. I really wonder how far poo poo has to go here before we stop destroying every measure that would save us.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

jokes posted:

The incidence of severe consequences for vaccinated people being so low, I feel like wearing a mask is for the benefit of the worst people in Texas. I don’t like it but I’ll do it to like help my fellow man or whatever but I feel there’s about a 0% chance they’d do the same if roles were reversed. They won’t even wear a mask to save their own life.

There are plenty of people who are immunocompromised, under 12 years old, or cannot afford time to take off work to recover from the vaccine that you are helping. It doesn't help anyone to think of any of this as personal responsibility, even if a lot of people who are getting really sick are to some degree at fault.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Oh, Arkansas' governor (which has even lower vaccination rates) is finally scaling back some of the conservative anti-mask orders and redeclaring a public health emergency. I really wonder how far poo poo has to go here before we stop destroying every measure that would save us.

It feels to me like Abbott, like DeSantis, is too tied into national politics on this, and has way more to gain by doubling down forever.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah I have a ~1 year old at home so what was best practice June 2020 is still true today for everyone here. Thanks to everyone who still masks up.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

zoux posted:

my kids are not vaccinated, i think i get to freak out

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why, it's barely a cold for kids? Less than 400 US deaths since March 2020. That's about how many die of the flu in a normal year.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/projectspurs/status/1420919762322960387

Hidden below, super good tweet.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Why, it's barely a cold for kids? Less than 400 US deaths since March 2020. That's about how many die of the flu in a normal year.

You know my feelings about flu deaths being downplayed (we could prevent them!). But also, I remember one of the strains being worse for kids, and additionally, long COVID has more disastrous health impacts not captured in death data.

And...they keep shutting down the daycares every time there's a COVID case. I have at least one colleague whose work life is destroyed for a couple weeks every once in awhile because her son's daycare shuts down.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not trying to downplay anything, I believe people are sincerely freaked out about their kids getting covid, but from every piece of data I've seen - and I've looked - it seems that a parent's fear should be about commensurate with the fear of their kid getting the flu. Do people constantly freak out about their kids getting the flu? The evidence for post viral covid syndrome in kids is anecdotal and extremely thin.

Look, I'm a brutal hypochondriac, I'd be the first person to worry way too much about this stuff and before I was vaccinated I definitely did, but I think the data showing that vaccinated adults are safe from serious disease much less death is robust and compelling, and I haven't seen anything to indicate that kids are more at risk from covid than the host of mild childhood diseases that they are constantly getting. I'm not even arguing against broad covid mitigation protocols, more I'm just trying to help reassure the people who are really worried about this thing.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Its a lotto I'd rather not play with my kid's life.

Number of children hospitalized with COVID-19 in Houston rising at worst time possible

The article posted:

Doctors say children sick with RSV and flu are adding even more hospital patients.
Author: Matt Dougherty
Published: 10:14 PM CDT July 29, 2021
Updated: 11:13 AM CDT July 30, 2021

HOUSTON — Houston doctors say the number of kids admitted to hospitals with COVID-19 is rising.

Making matters worse, hospitals are seeing a spike in the number of kids with other illnesses that don’t usually become a problem until the winter.

Texas Children’s Hospital is seeing lots of kids with RSV and the flu, in addition to COVID-19-positive patients.

You may have heard that kids won’t get severely ill if they contract COVID-19. Try telling that to the many kids who are hospitalized with the virus in Houston right now.

“We’ve definitely seen an increase over this month as far as acute COVID goes," said Kristen Sexon-Tejtel, Texas Children's Hospital pediatric cardiologist.

She says there is no way to predict which of the kids with COVID will become severely ill.

“It doesn’t seem to be kids that were previously sick. It doesn’t seem to be kids that were previously well," Dr. Sexon-Tejtel said. "It’s really a mixture. We’ve seen kids who were well that developed issues and kids who had other medical problems as well.”

She says about 20 are hospitalized at TCH right now.

When they’re released, there’s no guarantee they’ll be back to normal.

“Some of them get better within a few months, some of them are still struggling a year later," she said.

Texas Children's Hospital now gives care to dozens of kids who have recovered through its long COVID clinic.

“I never really felt fully recovered after I tested negative," said 18-year-old Izabella Galindo who contracted COVID last summer.

Izabella and her brother, Isaac, are both patients at the long COVID clinic.

Izaac says he still runs out of breath riding his bike. Izabella’s symptoms linger, too.

"Really bad chest pains that I’d never gotten before," Izabella said. "I’d feel like my heart was racing."

Dr. Sexson-Tejtel says about 10 to 20 percent of kids with COVID have symptoms of long COVID after they have recovered.

Izabella hopes kids and adults understand that the idea that kids won’t be affected if they get sick, is simply wrong.

“It’s not just a little two-week cold," Izabella said. "It was way more than that.”

Dr. Sexson-Tejtel says matters have been made worse because illnesses like RSV and the flu are getting more kids sick this summer.

"There’s lots of people already in house," she said. "So, you know, there’s always room in the inn, but definitely there are a lot of people getting lots of different illness at this point.”

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Ok, what about this coming school year when schools don't have the ability to do remote learning and prohibited from enacting mask requirements.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The current RSV outbreak Is pretty crazy. Hand foot and mouth was spreading like gangbusters recently too.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
the anti-vaxx crowd has pretty much decided theyre done with vaccinations and keeping sick people away period so expect to see a bunch of sick as gently caress kids and adults around everywhere to own the libs

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

very glad the daycare we send our kid to made its employees get the covid vaccine and makes them wear masks all day.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

zoux posted:

I'm not trying to downplay anything, I believe people are sincerely freaked out about their kids getting covid, but from every piece of data I've seen - and I've looked - it seems that a parent's fear should be about commensurate with the fear of their kid getting the flu. Do people constantly freak out about their kids getting the flu? The evidence for post viral covid syndrome in kids is anecdotal and extremely thin.

Look, I'm a brutal hypochondriac, I'd be the first person to worry way too much about this stuff and before I was vaccinated I definitely did, but I think the data showing that vaccinated adults are safe from serious disease much less death is robust and compelling, and I haven't seen anything to indicate that kids are more at risk from covid than the host of mild childhood diseases that they are constantly getting. I'm not even arguing against broad covid mitigation protocols, more I'm just trying to help reassure the people who are really worried about this thing.

You can vaccinate your kid for the flu though and reduce the risk of severe illness to almost 0 as well as for most other deadly childhood diseases.

We are keeping our kid (who was born may 2020) away from the world til he gets his shots because it's just not loving worth the risk. We kept him healthy for the last 14 months, what's another 4 or 6 til the pediatric vaccine is approved?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Well this is chill.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

zoux posted:

:sickos:

There is no school more deserving of this in the Big 12 than maybe UT itself.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Numlock posted:

:sickos:

There is no school more deserving of this in the Big 12 than maybe UT itself.

Pays to be Texa$

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I don't know what a big 12 even is, but I did find out that Allen West was in the latest AllGasNoBrakes Channel5 video about a Qanon rally lmfao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYKOLwt8pwo&t=884s

Also the pinned comment on that video is
"I love that Brace Belden is just lurking throughout this video like a gremlin. A dude who left his job as a florist in San Francisco in 2015 to fight ISIS with the Kurdish YPG, just crouching behind Andrew in a cowboy hat and suit while he interviews some Daily Beast journalist."
so you know it's going to be good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1422256277523206150

This person wields a massive amount of power in this here state

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/dave_player/status/1422270131011522562

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No didn't you read, it's the consequences of Chinese bioweaponeers deliberately targeting north Texas magalords

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Does the modifier of N Tx. MagaLords mean we're the precursor to the Warhammer 40K universe?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BenjaminEW/status/1422291229094649859

*tugs collar*

(Though I suspect that if you take just red states, Texas and Florida make up about 1/3 of that population, if not more)

e: real rough math puts TX/FL at 30% of the total red state pop, so we're slightly beating a simple demographic distro

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 2, 2021

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

zoux posted:

Northeast Tarrant Tea Party is responsible for more reprehensible poo poo that our legislature has done over the last 15 years than all other PAC and political organizations combined. They are basically the #1 target demo every state Republican is aiming for with every piece of batshit legislation. They aren't particularly big or super-well known, but they're just so insanely influential. Like, they're basically the Velvet Underground of CHUDs.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I'm glad Facebook's sophisticated algorithms are getting thwarted by things like "spaces" and "deliberate misspellings/soundalikes"

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

Northeast Tarrant Tea Party is responsible for more reprehensible poo poo that our legislature has done over the last 15 years than all other PAC and political organizations combined. They are basically the #1 target demo every state Republican is aiming for with every piece of batshit legislation. They aren't particularly big or super-well known, but they're just so insanely influential. Like, they're basically the Velvet Underground of CHUDs.

Does any major metropolitan area in Texas serve as a more significant political battleground than Dallas-Fort Worth? I know the other cities have their city progressive politics vs. state conservative politics dynamics, but Dallas-Fort Worth seems to be the most purple and most contentious. I say this as someone who has lived in Austin for my entire time in Texas (8 years), but I have heard some wild stories from Dallas colleagues and online.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, you have the sprawling suburbs which are where most of the problem is but Ft. Worth is far and away the reddest metro in the state. I think they're the only top 10 city in Texas with a GOP mayor

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

zoux posted:

If only there was some sort of defense that western countries could develop to prevent many infections and stop the vast majority of severe outcomes.

No, I will not take your vaccine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

zoux posted:

Maybe horseshoe theory will bring the CHUDs around to nuclear disarmament…