Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

faced a squirrel in a game last night who was super obnoxious early in lane (almost had my buddy playing Drow1 tilted) but our team was patient, bought time for farm, and won late which was extremely satisfying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah it';s lame league poo poo. Valve should've had to use unused wc3 units as the basis for any new heroes.

i get the feeling that dota should probably be distancing itself from warcraft. call it a hunch

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'll take a squirrel over a grandmother any time.

That said we need fewer bipedal/humanoid things. Give us more whacky monsters.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

i get the feeling that dota should probably be distancing itself from warcraft. call it a hunch

The units did nothing wrong.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^Regardless of the press around ActiBlizz right now it's a good idea IMO

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/6112577413

squirrel is a fun hero and nerd slayer and I will enjoy her until they nerf her

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I think I’m the only person who prefers the WC3 aesthetic to the weird Pixar thing they’re going with for new heros

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

causticBeet posted:

I think I’m the only person who prefers the WC3 aesthetic to the weird Pixar thing they’re going with for new heros

Deffo not true

The reason for the change is the old art lead is gone - things feel so different because its a totally different person now. If you look through the concept art for the game you can see that he was totally carrying the character designs, and for heroes where different people did their own concepts they always went with his. Honestly, I wouldn't even be surprised if they don't even have a team of artists working on the game anymore and it's just down to one or two people who only make things infrequently when they need to

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

causticBeet posted:

You are not.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Deffo not true

The reason for the change is the old art lead is gone - things feel so different because its a totally different person now. If you look through the concept art for the game you can see that he was totally carrying the character designs, and for heroes where different people did their own concepts they always went with his. Honestly, I wouldn't even be surprised if they don't even have a team of artists working on the game anymore and it's just down to one or two people who only make things infrequently when they need to

who was that and when did they leave?

I don't like Hoodwink's tiny model and Dawnbreaker sucks but all the other recent ones look okay to me.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pamela Springstein posted:

who was that and when did they leave?

I don't like Hoodwink's tiny model and Dawnbreaker sucks but all the other recent ones look okay to me.

drew wolf, and awhile back but I forget when exactly.

Basically every new hero looks so loving bland and horrible.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Definitely would have preferred Gnoll Arc Warden to Mysterio

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The heroes are too well animated and designed to be "bland and horrible", but they really don't fit together anymore with the older designs. We're in luck though, the newest cosmetics are louder and more convoluted constantly too, so the community is joining in on making the game a visual mess.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea all of those sets that were on /r/dota2 the other week were all atrocious.

"Hey lets give PA plate armor and a shield yea??"

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

gonna play some hoodwink today to troll you haters, get trolled morons

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Smythe posted:

The squirrel is league poo poo and also op.

hoodwink owns, her entire kit is skill based

I'm excited for the eventual cosmetics. I assume she's gonna get a little robin hood hat one.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Andrigaar posted:

The heroes are too well animated and designed to be "bland and horrible", but they really don't fit together anymore with the older designs. We're in luck though, the newest cosmetics are louder and more convoluted constantly too, so the community is joining in on making the game a visual mess.

I don't see how animation stops them from being bland, but it just aggravates me how dawn, void, mars, and willow just look like characters from some f2p phone game designed to trick kids into spending money.

Dota's a f2p computer game designed to trick old men into spending money! The brand is way off.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I remember spending three dollars on the witch hat for Lina in 2013 and thinking "that was kind of a lot for a digital hat"

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

God forbid Ursa wear a loving hat though

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dr.acula posted:

yeah it's much better for ursa to have the Roshan Hunter set

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

dr.acula posted:

Them removing the Ursa hat from the store was like the tiny domino on that one picture and then the big domino in the back is "you can only buy this item for two months and it will never go on sale again and you can never sell it or trade it yourself and it costs eight thousand battlepass levels"

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
the only cosmetic items i care about are the ones that turn horse-riding heroes horses into not-horses, like the big dog for chaos knight

e: and taunts obviously

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dr.acula posted:

Definitely would have preferred Gnoll Arc Warden to Mysterio

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

my atomic war legend rank, gone, like tears in rain........

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
there's a squirrel hero in dota and it's not chipper... smdh

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I CAN'T STOP FIRST PICKING CLINKZ IN RANKED. I ALSO CAN'T STOP WINNING.

This guy is fuckin busted and it blows my mind that he's not hideously warping the pro scene metagame (...yet).

I started first picking him when other people would also pick it (so it'd be banned). This way I always get to play him and -- turns out -- it doesn't loving matter what other people pick. So far there hasn't been a really meaningful counter to my shenanigans.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Clinkz and Lycan are both loving nutso for completely different reasons, they both rule. I held the enemy team hostage for 65 minutes last night as I slowly splitpush them in. They never even destroyed my offlane T1 because I just kept the lanes shoved so far out, I killed their middle ranged rax just with two of my Q wolves from full to nothing

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I have definitely enjoyed some annoying sniper spam so I wonder if clinkz would also suit me. Are you playing him mid or safe lane typically?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What's the best way for someone to jump back into this after not playing for a few years? I was like 2700 MMR I think? That could be way off I just don't remember. I used to play with goons, but maybe now they would get too mad at me. I would feel so lost not knowing when to creep pull and stuff like that. I haven't even played with the overhauled leveling system.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

What's the best way for someone to jump back into this after not playing for a few years? I was like 2700 MMR I think? That could be way off I just don't remember. I used to play with goons, but maybe now they would get too mad at me. I would feel so lost not knowing when to creep pull and stuff like that. I haven't even played with the overhauled leveling system.

Turbo or just queue and be prepared to learn alot about a buncha goofy neutral items and scepter / shard abilities.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

bawfuls posted:

I have definitely enjoyed some annoying sniper spam so I wonder if clinkz would also suit me. Are you playing him mid or safe lane typically?

Always safe. He’s a clicker that needs protection and farming space to function well. But he functions really well.

I wrote a dota2 guide that you can look up / use if you want. I did it mostly for myself so I don’t need to search for items.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why do shard wolves have 25 less hp..?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

you gotta get out there and start claiming your birthright (enemy towers)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1430964453865046025

you know, for all the jokes people made about valve changing characters like skeleton king and whoever else, at least they have never had to change any the name of any dota heroes due to them being named after a predator lmao

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

We here at Activision-Blizzard have learned a lot here in the last thirty-seven minutes since our executives have instructed us to act remorseful instead of vehemently denything that anything is wrong. In doing so, we have decided to rename McCree so that he better represents our company values. Please welcome "Custer the Gunslinger."

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1430964453865046025

you know, for all the jokes people made about valve changing characters like skeleton king and whoever else, at least they have never had to change any the name of any dota heroes due to them being named after a predator lmao

Well they did drop Guinsoo from Scythe of Vyse, and given what we know about Riot's culture...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

DNK posted:

I CAN'T STOP FIRST PICKING CLINKZ IN RANKED. I ALSO CAN'T STOP WINNING.

This guy is fuckin busted and it blows my mind that he's not hideously warping the pro scene metagame (...yet).

I started first picking him when other people would also pick it (so it'd be banned). This way I always get to play him and -- turns out -- it doesn't loving matter what other people pick. So far there hasn't been a really meaningful counter to my shenanigans.

I tried playing him for the first time in 6 years last night and it didn't go great :v:

Being able to wipe ancient stacks effortlessly was cool but I had no idea what to build and our Io sucked rear end. I don't think I ever got Overcharged once. My lane against WK / Pudge went well but then somehow I just fell behind on levels and that was it. I don't play carry often, I think I just suck at knowing where to be farming lol

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I copied a pro player build (Deso Skadi Agh'sShard Crystalis BKB Daedalus Sheepstick) and have been absolutely wrecking poo poo, the game's so easy. You just pop into any lane that isn't right under enemy tower, blast your Q and then run away to the jungle until the lane comes back. Take the -7s Skeleton Walk cooldown and you zip around incredibly fast forever even with brown boots.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
As I posted a few days ago, I haven't played for like 6 years. I was looking at the guides section in game and I see the valve default one but there are no skill builds. It looks like the top rated guide for every hero is by a single guy. Should I be following those? I also see guides here if I want to have them up on my second screen: https://www.dota2protracker.com/hero/Sven

What's the recommendation?

Also, any good YT channels to follow? I just heard about BSJ from r/learndota2 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvTcxoyItMUSlw8T2MajftA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

For things like skill/talent builds, I would just go to dotabuff and pick the highest win percentage choices. If there's a 5% or more win difference it's usually an easy choice, but if it's even split you can just choose based on the game and which sounds more useful. I would never use the in-game item guides, my best suggestion would be to flip through a few pro games and look for common items between them and build around those with some of the other misc items you see. I tried out three very different Clinkz builds before setting on my current one, but all of them I took from pro players. Skill builds I wouldn't grab from pro players though because they're (usually) making choices game-by-game and, if you want to minimize the number of decisions you need to make, it's way easier to just get a skill build that has reliable performance on the aggregate.

I don't watch any dota youtubers, I basically only watch twitch streams based on how good their music choice is and almost never actually look at the screen