Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Azathoth posted:

It's a conspiracy theory that is basically on the same level as flat earth poo poo. A rough outline is that at some point within the last thousand years (and often within the last hundred or two) worldwide civilization was destroyed by a cataclysm that covered the earth in several feet of sediment (hence mudflood).

This previous worldwide civilization was quite technologically advanced, more than we are now, and is often called the Tartarian Empire (no idea if that's universal or just that some call it that). The theory holds that there is a grand, worldwide conspiracy to hide knowledge of this once great civilization and their technological wonders.

This necessitates accepting that the whole of worldwide history is completely fabricated, just to be clear. Archaeological evidence is either faked or misinterpreted, as are any surviving buildings. One particularly fun part of the conspiracy is that what we now use as church steeples were once wireless electricity towers and only recently have we repurposed those structures for their current purpose.

Their evidence for this is mostly that a lot of buildings worldwide are built on top of raised mounds, often with the remains of previous structures underneath, which has no explanation other than a massive worldwide catastrophe.

If you think it's dumb and that I must be explaining it wrong, I encourage you to spend some time trying to read that poo poo. It's borderline incoherent, and this is from a guy who reads crazy UFO poo poo for fun.
If you think it's dum ans Azathoth must be explaining it wrong, here's one of the original proponents of the theory proving it by showing that (drumroll, please) basements exist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4SEO9t8IHs
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4aoVr-MAhzFrutFSFBP2t1lHIPdcCODa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Stevie Lee posted:

i haven't read it but I'm pretty sure it was this buzzfeed article that they were talking about : https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/kenbensinger/michigan-kidnapping-gretchen-whitmer-fbi-informant

ya this is the case focal to the episode, but I think it was a different article they were talking about regarding informants in general, I'll check this though because I very totally could have misheard

e: it's a guardian interview with a former informant, Liz mentions it starting at 41:12, maybe there's something earlier

nut has issued a correction as of 21:28 on Jul 30, 2021

nut
Jul 30, 2019

I found it! It's covered earlier in the episode and it's an ex-FBI informant who was used to set up muslim "extremists"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/mar/20/fbi-informant

Craig Monteilh, the ex-informer posted:

I was untouchable. I am a felon, I am on probation and the police cannot arrest me. How empowering is that? It is very empowering. You began to have a certain arrogance about it. It is almost taunting. They [the FBI] told me: 'You are an untouchable'

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
going to get into this conspiracy theory

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1421227350767898624?s=20

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

lol I literally learned today from a coworker (who is a refugee from Ethiopia) that one dude guards the Ark but no one else is allowed to see it. I think the brits are trying to steal Ethiopian valor imo

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/keepers-of-the-lost-ark-179998820/

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
god, assassin's creed was going to intersect with the epstein thread eventually. the games themselves are about as politically intelligent as Disney's Falcon show (though they did briefly have the grum to say The Sitting Supreme Court Are All Templars in 2010) but the company is relevant with the rampant sexual abuse at their executive level

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Mameluke posted:

god, assassin's creed was going to intersect with the epstein thread eventually. the games themselves are about as politically intelligent as Disney's Falcon show (though they did briefly have the grum to say The Sitting Supreme Court Are All Templars in 2010) but the company is relevant with the rampant sexual abuse at their executive level

https://twitter.com/Charalanahzard/status/1421193462754553856?s=20

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.vice.com/en/article/3aq4vv/blizzard-recruiters-asked-hacker-if-she-liked-being-penetrated-at-job-fair

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Zmej posted:

lol I literally learned today from a coworker (who is a refugee from Ethiopia) that one dude guards the Ark but no one else is allowed to see it. I think the brits are trying to steal Ethiopian valor imo

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/keepers-of-the-lost-ark-179998820/

this is cool af

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Of course the Stratholme tobacconist is a rapist. :negative:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mameluke posted:

it was just the republican justicea that were templars and it said that was the reason for the citizens united ruling

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Jose posted:

this is cool af
drat right

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I was thinking about Chernobyl today and was doing some digging.

I want to throw it out there but vast majority of the evidence suggests that at least until the reactor melted down only after Dyatlov was following standard protocol. There was a known issue with the emergency shutdown sequence when used with safety tests but not of the staff at the actual reactors were informed of it and neither were the manuals updated.

The entire scene with Dyatlov screaming at the staff before reactor blew was made up. It was a routine test that was going on as normal until after the shutdown was initiated. It was just that the planned test coupled with the existing procedure was practically predestined to cause a meltdown.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 05:01 on Jul 31, 2021

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

Ardennes posted:

I want to throw it out there but vast majority of the evidence suggests that at least until the reactor melted down only after Dyatlov was following standard protocol. There was a known issue with the emergency shutdown sequence when used with safety tests but not of the staff at the actual reactors were informed of it and neither were the manuals updated.

The entire scene with Dyatlov screaming at the staff before reactor blew was made up. It was a routine test that was going on as normal until after the shutdown was initiated. It was just that the planned test coupled with the existing procedure was practically predestined to cause a meltdown.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL-1

Waiting for this one to be turned into a movie.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ardennes posted:

That's not accurate, according to what I've read about the trial and Voices From Chernobyl. Dyatlov stated that everything was normal, until they pressed the shutdown button. His staff, many of whom died shortly after the accident, testified that things were going wrong and Dyatlov ordered them to keep going, until they pressed the scram button and the reactor blew up.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

the chief of staff to Malta's prime minister resigned and was arrested for questioning some time back

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Ardennes posted:

wait a minute, are you telling me HBO aired anti-Soviet propaganda even though the USSR has been dead for 30 years?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Chamale posted:

That's not accurate, according to what I've read about the trial and Voices From Chernobyl. Dyatlov stated that everything was normal, until they pressed the shutdown button. His staff, many of whom died shortly after the accident, testified that things were going wrong and Dyatlov ordered them to keep going, until they pressed the scram button and the reactor blew up.

From what I have seen it doesn't seem like the was a serious issue until the procedure was put into place. So the question is was Dyatlov really a complete madman and responsible for nearly everything that occurred or was he simply following already known procedure? Doesn't it seem a bit weird it was just this one guy that was doing everything wrong?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Chamale posted:

Yeah, my understanding was that while there's some dispute over why the SCRAM button was pushed, in that it was either because the test was over and that was the procedure or because one of the operators was seeing weird readings and did it as a safety meaure. But regardless of why it was pushed, at that moment, there was not a panic in the control room and by no account I've heard was there yelling at that moment. The staff understood that the test was going wrong but not necessarily the true danger in the moments before the explosion.

Also, it's not entirely fair to say that the test as designed was going to lead to disaster. The test had been done three times before and it had failed in the expected, safe way on those occasions.

Things started to go wrong when the operators tried to take the reactor down to the prescribed power level (700MW to 1000MW) but either equipment failure or a mistake by Toptunov meant that the reactor went to basically no power. There's a lot of blame tossed around about this because this is the start of the chain of gently caress ups.

It's also, critically, where the operators would understand that things were not going right if not by the test parameters being violated then certainly by the alarms and warnings happening on their controls. However, it's unclear that any of the operators understood that there was a danger of meltdown or explosion from said warnings. I tend to think that they all knew the test they had been tasked with was thoroughly hosed, and maybe even that they were damaging things that would need to be replaced during maintenance but that no one really considered an explosion possible.

They managed to get the reactor back up to 200 MW and resumed the test. Dyatlov, Akimov, and Tuptunov should have understood the dangerous state of the reactor, but I have doubts that any of the other operators understood the danger, and it's also not intuitive that performing the test at 200MW would be more dangerous than performing it at the expected power level. And remember, it had failed safe three times at the expected power level.

One thing that I've never been able to find a satisfactory exploration of is just how common seeing warnings or receiving alarms was from the system. It's never explicitly stated, but from how everyone behaved, I get the distinct impression that they got a lot of warnings and errors and alarms and had generally become desensitized to them.

When the SCRAM button was pressed, I truly believe everyone thought that all the alarms would stop, as per normal, and that they'd proceed with the rest of the shutdown process normally. It was only when things intensified in the seconds after the SCRAM that it became clear that they'd actually lost control, not before that.

Ardennes posted:

From what I have seen it doesn't seem like the was a serious issue until the procedure was put into place. So the question is was Dyatlov really a complete madman and responsible for nearly everything that occurred or was he simply following already known procedure? Doesn't it seem a bit weird it was just this one guy that was doing everything wrong?

The problem with this theory is that the initial fuckup was either Toptunov accidentally putting in the control rods way too far or an equipment malfunction that did the same. In either case, that act wasn't something within Dyatlov's control.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

First he murdered a bunch of skiers and then caused Chernobyl are there no crimes dyatlov isn't responsible for

Seriously though I remember reading after Fukushima that there was way more damage by s coal plant exploding but it's basically impossible to find information about it now

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Jose posted:

First he murdered a bunch of skiers and then caused Chernobyl are there no crimes dyatlov isn't responsible for

Seriously though I remember reading after Fukushima that there was way more damage by s coal plant exploding but it's basically impossible to find information about it now

Coal ash is more radioactive than nuclear waste. There's uranium in coal, and living near a coal plant exposes you to a 5% increase in background radiation. Not a huge amount, but way more than a nuclear power plant. Exposure to outdoor air pollution, mostly from coal, contributes to heart attacks and strokes. It kills 4.2 million people per year. The elites will let any number of people die from externalities before allowing a threat to profit. It's too late to start building nuclear plants to stop catastrophic climate change, and drastic action to end capitalist consumerism is needed to prevents billions of deaths.

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, my understanding was that while there's some dispute over why the SCRAM button was pushed, in that it was either because the test was over and that was the procedure or because one of the operators was seeing weird readings and did it as a safety meaure. But regardless of why it was pushed, at that moment, there was not a panic in the control room and by no account I've heard was there yelling at that moment. The staff understood that the test was going wrong but not necessarily the true danger in the moments before the explosion.

Also, it's not entirely fair to say that the test as designed was going to lead to disaster. The test had been done three times before and it had failed in the expected, safe way on those occasions.

I agree. You can't blame the staff for the disaster. They violated protocols, but they had been assured that in a worst-case scenario, the scram button would prevent a meltdown. They weren't allowed to know how the reactor they worked on actually worked because the design and the design flaws were classified.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Patrick Stewart’s Visit to CIA HQ

Patrick Stewart posted:

When your Public Affairs Staff called, I was reading a book by Harvey Weinstein, an MKULTRA victim, whose grandson works for me. I must tell you that this sordid story, and other media characterisations of your work, had somewhat coloured my perceptions of your organisation. However, I am very favourably impressed with what I have seen here.
What is shocking for a European living in America, the most open society in the world, is the amount of public accountability government officials, even in a secret organization, face.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Lmao, christ. Public accountability = you're outed if you do anything the 3lettrs don't like.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

quote:

Harvey Weinstein, an MKULTRA victim
*tim allen noise*
excuse me, what?! this is my first time hearing about this wtf

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zmej posted:

*tim allen noise*
excuse me, what?! this is my first time hearing about this wtf

i *think* its a different Harvey Weinstein

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

we have Franklin ring and Epstein syndicate type scandals every couple of years in Britain which might explain why this isn't getting much attention, but the report into Lambeth council CSA just dropped. A vast network of underground trafficking, abuse, murder, you name it. Report downplays much of this in favour of the usual establishment spiel about "systemic failures" and "incompetence".

https://www.iicsa.org.uk/publications/investigation/lambeth-council

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Harvey Weinstein MK ULTRA victim is some real Very Bottom, bordering the pixel cutoff, of the conspiracy iceberg meme poo poo.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mkultra took his dick

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
My Kock Ultra

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

smarxist posted:

i *think* its a different Harvey Weinstein

Harvey Weinstein of cananda and it was his father who was the direct mkultra victim

https://www.amazon.com/Father-Son-CIA-Goodread-Biographies/dp/0887801595

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

still kinda surreal to see the cappn casually insist on the reality of MK

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I am reading Legacy of Ashes right now and loving it

like, I think it might be a much harder sell to Americans themselves (to believe the whole deal), but as a Latin American it is very easy to get into and totally see these upper class yankee idiots - something rather American in a way - coming at the world with their ideas and suppositions about how it looks like and works than understanding it first to then act

this wisner guy, holy poo poo. how does somebody keep on being this much of a loving dolt for this long?

nut
Jul 30, 2019

https://twitter.com/MiamiHerald/status/1421159304699260930?s=20

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/haiti/article253141098.html

Miami Herald posted:

Not only did the DEA assist the Haiti National Police in destroying some of the drug evidence and pay them $1,500 for costs, but most of the cocaine and heroin smuggled on the ship into a private seaport near Port-au-Prince went missing. The 700 to 800 kilos of cocaine and 300 kilos of heroin — hidden among bags of sugar in the hull of the ship — had an estimated U.S. street value of $100 million, authorities said.

haha whoa oops

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

just accidentally paying people to destroy evidence

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

loving owns that the DEA is too busy arranging for the smuggling of drugs into the Caribbean to take care of the opioid crisis at home

Excelzior has issued a correction as of 04:49 on Aug 1, 2021

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

(the reason is they are 100% fine with both things happening)

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it must be loving hilarious to be a spook and see politicians on TV saying that something (that costs money) has to be done to ablate the opioid epidemic when a budget cut to your department would accomplish the same thing

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

smarxist posted:

it must be loving hilarious to be a spook and see politicians on TV saying that something (that costs money) has to be done to ablate the opioid epidemic when a budget cut to your department would accomplish the same thing

I'm pretty sure the CIA could self fund indefinitely these days

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Spergin Morlock posted:

I'm pretty sure the CIA could self fund indefinitely these days

yeah true enough between off the books poo poo and asset forfeiture and whatever else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
the CIA could self find solely with narcotics trade, who do you think runs the major cartels lol