Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Puppy Time posted:

I suspect a lot of it is just Old White Person problems:

I'm late, and interrupting the GW discussion (gently caress GW btw) but I should point out since no one else did, that Peterson follows the "fakts dant care abutt yoy fettlings" guy and a literal convicted nazi who was sentenced to the closest thing Sweden(? I may be misremembering the country) had to a life sentence (25 years of prison) for stabbing a guy.

This is even worse than it seems, and frankly, it's baffling that the guy who worked on Doom 2 is now friends with a literal fascist. Who knows if Chaosium will actually do anything about this or just pretend to care with #trendyhashtags.

Either way, death to all fascists.*

*Before I get sue, this isn't meant as a call for violence towards sandy. I consider him merely an idiot who thinks using the mouse with his penis to copy-paste the same five barrels over and over again is good level design. TBF, these things are pretty easy to mix up. After all, fascism is really just an advanced form of idiocy when you view it with anything more than one braincell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

TheNamedSavior posted:

I'm late, and interrupting the GW discussion (gently caress GW btw) but I should point out since no one else did, that Peterson follows the "fakts dant care abutt yoy fettlings" guy and a literal convicted nazi who was sentenced to the closest thing Sweden(? I may be misremembering the country) had to a life sentence (25 years of prison) for stabbing a guy.

This is even worse than it seems, and frankly, it's baffling that the guy who worked on Doom 2 is now friends with a literal fascist. Who knows if Chaosium will actually do anything about this or just pretend to care with #trendyhashtags.

I see he's following Shapiro, the GOP, the Babylon Bee, and the Zodiac Killer, but not seeing anything I recognise as one of Varg's accounts in his "following" list. Don't rule out him unfollowing, mind. (I also note that he only follows 70 accounts, so it's not like he is promiscuous with that, so even if he was clueless enough to follow Varg because he isn't clued in about what his deal is, his other follows are deeply poo poo.)

In terms of what Chaosium are going to do about this, given that he owns stock in them (or at least owned stock last I heard) I suspect that anything which happens is likely to largely take place out of the public eye. You can't unilaterally confiscate someone's stock because they say hateful, dipshitty things (to my knowledge), so if you want to 100% disaffiliate from someone who owns that and there's no legal out which would allow you to get them to surrender the stock then you kind of have to reach some sort of accommodation with them - which might entail stuff like "I will gladly sell you my stock and gently caress off to run my own company, but you need to agree to sign an NDA and make no negative public statements about me".

I do note that he's been downright mysterious in his absence from the Call of Cthulhu 40th anniversary Kickstarter, despite being the dude that wrote the game. You would think that if all were sunshine and happiness between him and them, they'd prominently feature him in the promotion of that, and he'd be heavily pushing it in turn. (So far as I can tell he hasn't mentioned it at all on his Twitter, though my Twitter-fu is weak like a kitten so I might be wrong.)

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

I think it was Ernie Gygax that was following Varg. We've had a lot of lovely old white guys recently, so it's easy to get them mixed up.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Tsilkani posted:

I think it was Ernie Gygax that was following Varg. We've had a lot of lovely old white guys recently, so it's easy to get them mixed up.

It was TSR 3 that was following Varg

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

So most likely LaNasa, then.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Warthur posted:

I see he's following Shapiro, the GOP, the Babylon Bee, and the Zodiac Killer, but not seeing anything I recognise as one of Varg's accounts in his "following" list. Don't rule out him unfollowing, mind. (I also note that he only follows 70 accounts, so it's not like he is promiscuous with that, so even if he was clueless enough to follow Varg because he isn't clued in about what his deal is, his other follows are deeply poo poo.)

In terms of what Chaosium are going to do about this, given that he owns stock in them (or at least owned stock last I heard) I suspect that anything which happens is likely to largely take place out of the public eye. You can't unilaterally confiscate someone's stock because they say hateful, dipshitty things (to my knowledge), so if you want to 100% disaffiliate from someone who owns that and there's no legal out which would allow you to get them to surrender the stock then you kind of have to reach some sort of accommodation with them - which might entail stuff like "I will gladly sell you my stock and gently caress off to run my own company, but you need to agree to sign an NDA and make no negative public statements about me".

I do note that he's been downright mysterious in his absence from the Call of Cthulhu 40th anniversary Kickstarter, despite being the dude that wrote the game. You would think that if all were sunshine and happiness between him and them, they'd prominently feature him in the promotion of that, and he'd be heavily pushing it in turn. (So far as I can tell he hasn't mentioned it at all on his Twitter, though my Twitter-fu is weak like a kitten so I might be wrong.)

I made a thread over on RPGnet where at the time I noticed he was following Thulean Perspective:

https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?thr...hooling.884605/

Of the two people he seems to have unfollowed, Varg's account is one of them, but I can't say who the other one is.

In more recent Petersen tweet news, he learned the Spanish word for dishwasher and is thinking of naming a Latin character that.

https://twitter.com/SandyofCthulhu/status/1420399802093907969

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 31, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

What did the Arch Warhammer guy actually do that was controversial?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/total-war-warhammer-youtuber-arch-warhammer-outted-as-massive-racist.220957/

He allegedly has 'good' explanations for the discord leaks but they're buried in a two hour video and I can't stand his fake accent.

I am curious as to what kind of Walter White level, "I slipped and hosed myself, my car and then my house with gasoline" level explanation he gives for saying facism is awesome and is the only form of government that allows you to reach your full potential while not being one.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Libertad! posted:

In more recent Petersen tweet news, he learned the Spanish word for dishwasher and is thinking of naming a Latin character that.

jesus christ

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vkeios posted:

btw if no one has seen this. GW specifically called out fan animations as being not allowed.

Hahahahaha. Get hosed GW. I mean I do IP law and often the owner side of the equation (not always) and lol at the idea of them defining what form media can and can’t be done by fans. Reminds of that dumb gif policy some wrestling groups had about Twitter posts.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Warthur posted:

I know some insiders, and my understanding is that the relationship between Peterson and Chaosium withered on the vine well before recent events. The impression I got is that he got sick of dealing with the new management and that the management literally didn't notice because they're extremely oblivious.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Haystack posted:

I know some insiders, and my understanding is that the relationship between Peterson and Chaosium withered on the vine well before recent events. The impression I got is that he got sick of dealing with the new management and that the management literally didn't notice because they're extremely oblivious.

or maybe the management was just equally sick of dealing with him!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That’s so weird about Peterson, but then again I only watch his gaming videos and from Masters of Doom, but he comes across as a nice guy and who generally even takes the time to make sure he’s still giving proper credit to old co workers like Tom Hall’s stuff for Doom, so him being into super far right stuff, is just odd.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Arivia posted:

or maybe the management was just equally sick of dealing with him!

I sincerely doubt that they could muster that sort of awareness, tbh. The Chaosium brass' usual MO is much more of a sort of... self absorbed aggravating neglect, let's say. Very conflict averse unless something undermines Jeff Richard's ego, then very passive aggressive.

Why, yes, I do have a mild grudge with them, why do you ask?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Hahahahaha. Get hosed GW. I mean I do IP law and often the owner side of the equation (not always) and lol at the idea of them defining what form media can and can’t be done by fans. Reminds of that dumb gif policy some wrestling groups had about Twitter posts.

the wrestling stuff has been way more egregious, with WWE implementing a policy that you cannot do streaming content (wrestling pays like poo poo unless you're a top star) of any kind and if you get permission your income goes to WWE.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MazelTovCocktail posted:

That’s so weird about Peterson, but then again I only watch his gaming videos and from Masters of Doom, but he comes across as a nice guy and who generally even takes the time to make sure he’s still giving proper credit to old co workers like Tom Hall’s stuff for Doom, so him being into super far right stuff, is just odd.

Awful people are often capable of being quite friendly towards those they like.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mors Rattus posted:

Awful people are often capable of being quite friendly towards those they like.

That’s the thing previously I had never heard anything bad about Sandy.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

the wrestling stuff has been way more egregious, with WWE implementing a policy that you cannot do streaming content (wrestling pays like poo poo unless you're a top star) of any kind and if you get permission your income goes to WWE.
With the biggest irony being that they aren’t even employees and the worst part being that it’s retroactive. It’s one thing if it was a condition of accepting a job (still lovely, but also non compete, but it depends on the industry), but they’re Contractors (miss classified obviously).

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

MazelTovCocktail posted:

That’s the thing previously I had never heard anything bad about Sandy.

With the biggest irony being that they aren’t even employees and the worst part being that it’s retroactive. It’s one thing if it was a condition of accepting a job (still lovely, but also non compete, but it depends on the industry), but they’re Contractors (miss classified obviously).

I think that was the justification, too, non-compete. I don't see why they couldn't just tell the performers "you can do your twitch stuff, but you have to promote your shows/stay in character" which a couple of them were doing anyway.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I think that was the justification, too, non-compete. I don't see why they couldn't just tell the performers "you can do your twitch stuff, but you have to promote your shows/stay in character" which a couple of them were doing anyway.

Or even the inverse, where you have to disclaimer any connection to WWE, not do anything to bring disrepute to yourself or the company. Honestly, it’s kind of amusing to think of some suit explaining to Vince what Twitch was.

But yeah it’s still a lovely situation that WWE made worse. Best solution was creating their own MCN setup and offering it and their management as a perk or option.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Libertad! posted:

See like this is one of those situations where it's just bog standard dumb privileged white people poo poo in a private gaming group setting, and phenomenally idiotic if you're a public figure posting officially.

Social media is the downfall of so many people because you feel like you're posting privately to friends and you don't realize that you've just shown your entire rear end in the middle of town square and like fifty people got photographs of it and now the world has seen your cheeks wobbling free in front of God and everybody.

And yet people keep doing it, just hitting the post button and showing off their asses, and gasp in shock that the joke that would be really funny among people who see you every week and have loaned you five bucks and whose car you helped push one time is not funny among people who only know you as "that guy who wrote a thing."

Though I guess it's good for flushing out the stupider bigots and assholes.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I being weird that the dishwasher post strikes me as another variation of getting Chinese or Japanese character tattoos, only caring about the aesthetic quality, dumb, but actually pretty common across large numbers of people, of many backgrounds?

I mean yeah it’s dumb, especially because with naming stuff, unless it’s a dishwasher monster, you try and tie it to the creature, unless it’s just an Easter egg like if an obsidian game had a character named ropekid (which is Josh Sawyer’s screen name here for those who might not know.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I mean yeah it’s dumb, especially because with naming stuff, unless it’s a dishwasher monster

Lavavazilla

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Okay that would be cool and Sandy should make that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Am I being weird that the dishwasher post strikes me as another variation of getting Chinese or Japanese character tattoos, only caring about the aesthetic quality, dumb, but actually pretty common across large numbers of people, of many backgrounds?

I mean yeah it’s dumb, especially because with naming stuff, unless it’s a dishwasher monster, you try and tie it to the creature, unless it’s just an Easter egg like if an obsidian game had a character named ropekid (which is Josh Sawyer’s screen name here for those who might not know.

Using it as a name because you like the sound of it? Yeah it's dumb in that sense.

Specifically naming the next Latinx character you create Dish Washer? That's got extra connotations riding along.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 31, 2021

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

moths posted:

Sports seems like an evergreen source of trans vilification. It's probably a combination of percieved advantage and how it's "only" sports.

People may not be comfortable voicing an opinion on whether a trans soldier or sailor has a right to serve in the military, adopt children, buy guns, or any other classic "American" right.

But with the stakes lowered to "compete against cis women?" It's easier to voice No I that doesn't seem fair than I don't think they deserve the same rights. It's a great tool for terfs to use - basically a foot in the door for their ideology.

The TERFs love it because they can get the olds on their side out of misplaced paternalism and misogyny by spinning it as a threat to 'are girls'.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

simply by going off his words: he seems to be extremely afraid that it won't be a simple C&D, he simply can't risk even the little chance of disaster

He remembers the Chapterhouse lawsuit, and has no ability to pay to go to court.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 31, 2021

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MazelTovCocktail posted:

In the sense that they're both exotification of other cultures yeah they're pretty similar, and they're both pretty similarly dumb to go on twitter and just openly say "yeah I think this is super cool to do" when you just got done letting everyone know what a dipshit transphobe you are.

Like you're 100% correct that people do this all the time, but see the above post about how people go on twitter and say things that would kill among their in-group but are not a great choice to tweet out to the entire internet.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Dude had a sword of Damocles hanging over his head from the start despite being in the right. GW stated they were investing heavily in scissors so he decided to go sleep somewhere else. This is not weird.

Sha-la-la-la that ain't no crime

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bruceski posted:

Using it as a name because you like the sound of it? Yeah it's dumb in that sense.

Specifically naming the next Latinx character you create Dish Washer? That's got extra connotations riding along.

Oh holy poo poo I missed Latinx, I didn’t see the X and thought it was Latin. Yep, that is kind of weird. I thought it meant the name would be converted from Spanish to Latin.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

The Lead Developer of Star Wars: Legion, Armada, and X-wing was fired from Atomic Mass Games after only 8 months in the new company.
https://twitter.com/Lukeweddy/status/1421199267457241088

He was the last dev from the ones that made the transition from FFG.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

neonchameleon posted:

GW have already made their opinions on the Youtuber formerly known as Arch Warhammer clear. And that's that they can't prevent him making bad lore videos, being a terrible person, or even bringing the ways he's terrible into his lore videos. But that they can and will prevent him using any part of their IP in the branding of his channel. Which means he's now just Arch and had to change his logo.
That's not why the /r/ArchWarhammer subreddit became good, though, that's because the head mod handed control over to /r/Sigmarxism. Nothing to do with Games Workshop. Or your point, really, I just find it funny.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Oh holy poo poo I missed Latinx, I didn’t see the X and thought it was Latin. Yep, that is kind of weird. I thought it meant the name would be converted from Spanish to Latin.

In case anyone was actually inspired to use that as a character name, a very cursory look suggests that it would be Lavavascella or Lavavascula in Latin.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Talas posted:

The Lead Developer of Star Wars: Legion, Armada, and X-wing was fired from Atomic Mass Games after only 8 months in the new company.
https://twitter.com/Lukeweddy/status/1421199267457241088

He was the last dev from the ones that made the transition from FFG.

Wait, I'm out of the loop. FFG sold off their loving Star Wars license!? How do they give up such a huge property?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

The Bee posted:

Wait, I'm out of the loop. FFG sold off their loving Star Wars license!? How do they give up such a huge property?

Asmodee broke up FFG; I strongly doubt it was their decision. FFG just makes... board games I think? The minis stuff is Atomic Mass Games now. Edge Studio is the RPGs.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Atomic Mass is also Asmodee. They moved FFG’s rpgs and miniature games to other subsidiaries like a year ago.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It was that long ago but I think FFG's X-wing designs are finally just now finishing up their release. The Star Wars RPG was more or less finished though there was room for more. The L5R RPG was also transferred but I think they've given up on it too? Genesys and any other RPGs were strangled in the crib. L5R LCG also dead. Lots of people and product out of work/production so Asmodee could line their pockets in the short term.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
*making deals with a company literally named after a demon* "Surely this will work out well for me!"

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I thought L5R RPG was still being published, at least?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

All that, yes; but also, there's a connotative insult embedded in the name, intended or not, which is that obviously latinx-americans work as dishwashers, probably because they're here illegally, that is their proper role in our society, etc.

Like if you really like how a word sounds in Spanish and decided to name a character that word, instead of an actual Spanish name, you could pick maybe a word that isn't also kinda low-key derogatory.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I just learned that the more proper name for "Balls" is "Scrotum" which is a such a beautiful, evocative word I intend to use it as the name of the next racist old white guy character I create for one of my tabletop RPG sessions.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I just learned that the more proper name for "Balls" is "Scrotum" which is a such a beautiful, evocative word I intend to use it as the name of the next racist old white guy character I create for one of my tabletop RPG sessions.

Scrotum is the ball bag fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My next Greek Epic RPG hero will be named Testicles