Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OwlFancier posted:

Fluffy breakdowns used to do this but I don't think it's up to date, fluffy has the sadbrains so I think a lot of their mods are likely to be slow to update unless someone adopts them alas.

It's not updated for 1.3 yet, but there's a patch available if you're inclined to roll your own fix

https://github.com/fluffy-mods/FluffyBreakdowns/issues/31

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Love to see history re-invent the star fort

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

OwlFancier posted:

Fluffy breakdowns used to do this but I don't think it's up to date, fluffy has the sadbrains so I think a lot of their mods are likely to be slow to update unless someone adopts them alas.

That's the one, thankyou.

Sorry to hear that. Hope Fluffy can beat the depression :smith:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I gave a prisoner a two peg legs, two wooden hands and replaced his jaw with wooden dentures. He is overjoyed and joined my colony. Weird game 10/10.

Does converting prisoners level up social or just recruiting

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 31, 2021

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Is there a trick to dealing with those unstable power cores things in the ancient bases?

They always seem to trigger for me just from walking in the room and then everything turns into an 1000 degree inferno

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Dragonstoned posted:

Is there a trick to dealing with those unstable power cores things in the ancient bases?

They always seem to trigger for me just from walking in the room and then everything turns into an 1000 degree inferno

I guess make sure your pointman is someone you don't like

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I gave a prisoner a two peg legs, two wooden hands and replaced his jaw with wooden dentures. He is overjoyed and joined my colony. Weird game 10/10.

It does seem weird that transhumanists get excited when you replace their body parts with objectively worse junk.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Steely Dad posted:

It does seem weird that transhumanists get excited when you replace their body parts with objectively worse junk.

This guy is overjoyed to be more than 30% flammable and free to smoke as much weed as he wants. He's living his best life

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dragonstoned posted:

Plan your entry based around being able to get out, also bring grenades or a breach axe so you can bash your way through a wall if you need to.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

It's annoying that the sleep accelerator and the neural supercharger can be researched but can't be built unless you have someone with the transhumanist meme.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Are you sure he isn't actually a tree worshipper and just really happy he's becoming one? :v:

Dragonstoned posted:

Firefoam works, but unless you have firefoam grenades from a mod it's probably not worth the resource investment for them. Right now my standard tactic is open a wall so the room becomes outdoors and temperature is no longer an issue, then shoot the thing and beat out the fire. I think it's possible to deconstruct it before it detonates, but that's pure speculation since I don't normally have a high Construction pawn on my raiding parties to do it fast enough. I also want to play around with the Skip and Waterskip psycasts for them, but I haven't had the right psycasts on the right pawns for it so far.

The loot tables for ancient bases are actually pretty garbage though while the difficulty keeps scaling upwards, so if you want an actual incentive to do those quests consider getting the Better Ancient Complex Loot mod.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Is there a reason to use sandbags and not barricades? I have always ignored sandbags I’m favor of either barricades, or chunks dropped off as part of the defensive works since both provide better cover and durability, and can be made non-flammable

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Tell me your MVP Psycasts
Out of combat: Word of Serenity (end mental break, put target to sleep for a while, target gets catharsis)
In combat: Vertigo Pulse (Radius 4 POWER WORD: VOMIT)

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

LonsomeSon posted:

Is there a reason to use sandbags and not barricades? I have always ignored sandbags I’m favor of either barricades, or chunks dropped off as part of the defensive works since both provide better cover and durability, and can be made non-flammable

I like a combo. barricades where this design has sandbags (and not checkered; an enemy coming in an angle still gets hung on the "off" tile before getting to the "on" one) and then several deep of chunks around that.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

LonsomeSon posted:

Cotton is the easiest renewable resource, so sandbags are stupidly cheap. Good for setups where you know things are going to get destroyed thanks to grenade spam or whatever.

Low cover rating isn't necessarily a bad thing either, because you can place sandbags 'offensively' to deny enemies better cover since pawns can't stand on top of sandbags, only walk over them. If the natural curve of a hill means some rear end in a top hat with a rifle has a hard corner to hide behind while taking potshots at your defensive line, consider putting a sandbag there. If you're using an embrasures mod, sandbags in front of your embrasures means they can't use them against you if they get close enough.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

In my fort that had a lot of alpacas I had way too much alpaca wool, so I used alpaca wool sandbags in areas where they were sacrificial, like around turrets that would take them out if the turret exploded.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i found the funniest bug ever, i couldnt figure out why my blind psychic nature cultists were upset about the lack of trees.

turns out if they're blind they can't see trees, so they can never fulfill their 'seeing trees' desire even if they're in a forest

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i found the funniest bug ever, i couldnt figure out why my blind psychic nature cultists were upset about the lack of trees.

turns out if they're blind they can't see trees, so they can never fulfill their 'seeing trees' desire even if they're in a forest

So they're not seeing the forest for its trees then?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Too perfect to be a bug, imo

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Has anyone figured out the nature of "blind psysense" or is it a jape to trick you into cutting out everyone's eyes?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

"working as intended wontfix"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

isndl posted:

When I say bigger maps, I'm assuming your base remains the same size. There's already an upper limit on base size to efficiency ratios due to time spent traveling between work/food/bed, so I don't really see there being a problem until you're at the two-bases-in-one levels of scale.
ah so you're meaning the truly top tier map sizes to solve this particular issue. i dunno that i really agree with that, though i see the logic. i also think that there's definitely some non upper limits on strategic resources on maps, such as geothermal vents and anima trees. there's always 4 vents and 1 anima, and if your map is 2DMAXX HUEG those will be a lot more onerous to capture.

i concur with walling in most of your farm area in general, but a fistful of changes in 1.3 has made it either less important or undesirable in general - there's no concern about animals grazing your farmland when you have to keep them penned up now, for example. and besides, it's not like you can't take a similar thought process into account with your farming plots and have those be part of your integrated defense, like so:

modifications can be made to the connected/walled ends or the door placement to taste, of course. it'd be fine to disconnect the walls that are currently blocking off the hemispheres of the pillbox to allow a greater firing arc, but depending on your design that might not be desirable. if you wanted to put these up against one another because your blight mitigation strategy is to use a wall rather than 3 tiles of distance you'd definitely not want to do that, but even in that case the pillboxes would be pulling at least double duty covering two farmlands. if your fields are no more than about 30x30 you can honestly just put one pillbox in the middle of the entire plot and have one pillbox covering all of your fields with about 3 turrets apiece, which by my testing is enough to consistently resist about 4 unarmored enemy pawns if there is sufficient desiccant cover and they're not carrying particularly nasty equipment (chain shotguns and sniper rifles have a bad habit of changing this equation pretty fast).

regarding beauty, you'd be surprised how little that matters in general because beauty is reacted to much the same way that food is reacted to. someone can be ravenously hungry or starving, and when they eat a meal, they get an instant hit of food satiation, but they REMAIN hungry for a few ticks while the satiation bar fills. addiction bars work the same way, and beauty also works this way. what this means is that pawns won't give a poo poo about moving past ugly environments as long as they don't STAY there. traps in your main roadways are another example of this and how little it actually matters:

this is my standard early game (first quadrum or two) build, which incorporates defense in depth by giving my pawns multiple places to do fire and fall back tactics against early raids when i might not have walls up at all, let alone reinforced. the absolute ugliest part of this, the heart of the square here where you can see 8 sandbags and 8 traps, has a beauty of -3.2. It requires a beauty of -4 to get 'unsightly environment -5', and a beauty of -5 to get 'ugly environment -10' and a beauty of -6 to get 'hideous environment -15'. Even hanging out here, you will not get bad moodlets.

Conversely, the two slots between the toolchests in the great hall will get you +5 if they are filled with normal large statues, +10 if they are filled with good, and +15 if they are filled with excellent - mix and match to how much art your early game colonists have, even someone who's 3 or so will kick out a normal sculpture with ok regularity. the only thing all the ugliness in the street means is that it takes a bit longer for people to crest that beauty threshold and actually get the moodlet. i would show it off but i cannot actually create installed statues with the dev tools and since i destroyed all my pawns to run trials the colony is considered dead and nothing i do can give me another controllable pawn. whoops!

Heffer posted:

Love to see history re-invent the star fort

none of my designs are so elegant and you do dishonor to the star fort by implying otherwise sir

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

lmao that's a doozy, I'll remember that :thumbsup:

blind nudist archer thing is working OK, with the enormous caveat that it's only against other tribals and it depends heavily on the Blindsight mod

vertigo pulse is so hilariously good, everything is constantly staggering around and barfing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All the pulse spells are very good honestly, just a matter of how much heat you wanna spend and how hard you wanna gently caress that group up. Vertigo can absolutely knock out a bunch of dudes for a while though, even works on mechanoids though sadly they have not invented the technology to barf.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Coolguye posted:

the point regarding having a separate grid is more to keep them reliable in case of a zztt, but your point regarding them being powered down actually is another point in favor of the chemfuel generator instead of the solar panel. the solar panel as a whole feels a little like a boondoggle at this phase in my experiments for a few reasons. miniturrets turn out to consume 80W, not 70W like the wiki says. this is beneath the notice of the chemfuel generator, but the requirement for a battery makes this actually an impactful difference for a solar panel. a solar panel can still seemingly support 8 turrets comfortably in many situations, but daylight is a map-by-map and even season-by-season thing because rimworld actually takes modeling climate somewhat seriously. this wasn't a concern with the previous greenhouse discussions, because how much light there was outside didn't matter, what mattered was how long the plants would grow for. a chemfuel generator can support 12 turrets, no arguments or second guesses, and isn't vulnerable to eclipse, smoke generation, fallout, etc disasters. I actually had not remembered how goddamned many disasters affected area light because i tend to prioritize geothermal power and that's been plenty for most of my poo poo. this bit about appearing weaker because your turrets are offline just makes me basically say that it's chemfuel generation or bust. the generators themselves can be simply switched off during 'peace time', whereas you can't disconnect a solar panel. the fact that the chemfuel generator is also half the size just drives it home even more.

playing on bigger maps doesn't really solve the issue of needing defense in depth to properly handle a lot of challenges, and in fact accentuates it in some ways. drop pod assaults are more confusing with large maps, and even your standard breaching attack is going to be a bigger, not smaller problem on large maps if my dev mode simulations tonight are instructive. breach attacks very frequently come from multiple facings, and the greater area to cover means that your perimeter is likely to be overall weaker and less reinforced by necessity of it just being too much work to keep a massive wall maintained and engineered with the normal array of trap hallways - bigger maps, pretty much by definition, turn into bigger bases because the natural choke points and resources on the map will be more spread out.

at least at this point, it feels like it's not if your perimeter is gonna be breached, it's when. roof traps will help but, as you pointed out, any solution that does not involve pawn intervention is not one that's going to be super effective in the general case.

which is why i feel it's time to consider pillboxes. the point isn't to automate away defense - i think we've well established that that isn't happening at this point, especially with mechanoids - but it provides a lot more for enemies to think about other than shooting your loving pawns when they breach your nice, neat perimeter and things start getting messy. two pillboxes supporting 3 miniturrets on a facing will make a pop-up interlocking field of fire in the middle of your farmland, making it a lot easier for a chain shotgunner to roll up and get an uninterrupted salvo off in an area that otherwise has gently caress-all for cover. More and more I've realized that Rimworld combat, precisely because it has a tendency to be so incredibly lethal, is made by those sorts of moments. The strategic goal, therefore, is to make those opportunities more likely.

anyway, another reason why i end up not liking the solar panel pillbox is because it looks like butthole unless you make it really big. the minimum size pillbox is irregular, like so:

while the chemfuel generator pillbox is much more compact and symmetrical:

i can actually see the (total) 9x9 structure of the chemfuel pillbox working in a number of base builds, while i have much more concerns about the irregularly shaped 11x10 of the solar pillbox, especially when coupled with its other practical problems.

e: also obviously there's an 8x8 structure that is the minimum likely advisable size for this, but i can't say i'm a huge fan of not having separators between the turrets:

ee: uh actually that might be the superior design based upon some initial testing, the turrets on different facings cover one another a lot better than the 9x9 design

imo those chemfuel pillboxes look sweet and I think this is a cool thing to look into, I think this is worth trying in my next game

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

Out of combat: Word of Serenity (end mental break, put target to sleep for a while, target gets catharsis)

Vertigo Pulse is stupidly good but my mvp psycast experience was Skipping a group of 4 thrumbos into a tight cluster and then Berserk Pulse on the group

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

IMO make sure there are walls between them so that explosions don't take out several. The larger one is better in that respect, and the generator vault has room for a fuel stockpile and firefoam.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I funded my nuclear weapons program entirely on sheep wool. Its crazy how well it sells.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

Word of Love owns for getting as many couples as possible. Save beds, boost mood, everybody wins.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

IMO make sure there are walls between them so that explosions don't take out several. The larger one is better in that respect, and the generator vault has room for a fuel stockpile and firefoam.

Assuming lsndl is correct about unpowered turrets being important for the sake of calculated battle power, the SOP would be to keep the generators off while no threat is on the map, so extra fuel wouldn’t be as interesting. A full load lasts 6 days, which might end up being the better part of a year in practice. I should probably check that assumption because if that’s not the case what you point out here is hella true. You’d likely still want like half of your pillboxes off at any one time just to minimize resource use, but a few you would want on all the time.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Coolguye posted:

Assuming lsndl is correct about unpowered turrets being important for the sake of calculated battle power, the SOP would be to keep the generators off while no threat is on the map, so extra fuel wouldn’t be as interesting. A full load lasts 6 days, which might end up being the better part of a year in practice. I should probably check that assumption because if that’s not the case what you point out here is hella true. You’d likely still want like half of your pillboxes off at any one time just to minimize resource use, but a few you would want on all the time.

My thought is that while you'd normally keep the generator gassed up and turned off when not under attack, in the event that you forget to refuel it and realize it's nearly empty when you send someone to toggle it there would be a small fuel stockpile next to it to fill it up.

Ideally the stockpile would never be needed, but mistakes happen and it would allow for the mistake to be corrected with very little added travel time.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

isndl posted:

Cotton is the easiest renewable resource, so sandbags are stupidly cheap. Good for setups where you know things are going to get destroyed thanks to grenade spam or whatever.

Low cover rating isn't necessarily a bad thing either, because you can place sandbags 'offensively' to deny enemies better cover since pawns can't stand on top of sandbags, only walk over them. If the natural curve of a hill means some rear end in a top hat with a rifle has a hard corner to hide behind while taking potshots at your defensive line, consider putting a sandbag there. If you're using an embrasures mod, sandbags in front of your embrasures means they can't use them against you if they get close enough.

…it just seems to me that by the time someone is building out nine-turret pillboxes for contingency defense, they really ought to have the resources not to need to use flammable cloth as part of their fortifications.

If I’ve got little nooks where enemies may give fire while in full cover, my defensive perimeter is Wrong, regardless of which stage between “some scattered full cover for us in the approach vector” and “killbox” it is at any given time. The Correct approach is to carve that rough stone flat and establish trapped cover positions in my field of fire, because the defensive works is the third highest possible priority after “stop every pawn’s bleeding” and having enough food to live until the next harvest.

I can see the merit of using extra textiles you have around for sacrificial cover…except Wood is actually the most renewable resource unless on a tile where textile farming or ranching will also be difficult, and is substantially less lucrative per kilo to export. Wooden barricades in my killbox provide enemies who are not yet on fire with 5% better cover, until they’re on fire, which is one of the main goals of my built defensive works.

I think I might experiment a bit with a modification of these turret block (not star! perish the thought) forts as delaying-action positions outside the main defenses, when I hand over my current settlement and research for another Archonexus fragment.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

My guys keep touching the gaurunlen seed but won't actually plant it. Seems like a bug. What am I missing?

edit: A few days later, they did it on their own. I tried ordering them directly to do it, drafting/undrafting, etc. but nothing worked. Eventually someone just waltzed up there and planted it, well after I'd given up. Weird.

Frances Nurples fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 31, 2021

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

My thought is that while you'd normally keep the generator gassed up and turned off when not under attack, in the event that you forget to refuel it and realize it's nearly empty when you send someone to toggle it there would be a small fuel stockpile next to it to fill it up.

Ideally the stockpile would never be needed, but mistakes happen and it would allow for the mistake to be corrected with very little added travel time.

yup cool that basically matches my thinking then. my only other thought was regarding what you can do with that little area, which i haven't really thought through that much yet. specialized weapons or armor could supposedly make sense? idk

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 31, 2021

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This is my first randy random run. Ive always been scared of it, but it was mostly fine until we got raided and a manhunting pack of arctic wolves showed up at the same time during a lightning storm

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
If I'm in some ruins or an enemy camp or whatever on a caravan expedition is there a way I'm missing to tell my guys to open doors, or do I have to just deconstruct them like I've been doing? I don't see a button for them at the bottom and a prompt doesn't come up when I right-click, drafted or not.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

goferchan posted:

If I'm in some ruins or an enemy camp or whatever on a caravan expedition is there a way I'm missing to tell my guys to open doors, or do I have to just deconstruct them like I've been doing? I don't see a button for them at the bottom and a prompt doesn't come up when I right-click, drafted or not.

Claim the structure from the orders menu, then you can order pawns to walk in to it like normal.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Shoot them open so the first person who goes in isn't face to face with a waiting enemy!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

BrainMeats posted:

Claim the structure from the orders menu, then you can order pawns to walk in to it like normal.

I swear it wasn't letting me claim them, maybe because there were still hostiles on the map? I'll double check next time, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Randy is easier than the other two default storytellers in the long run, speaking as someone who usually plays starting from tribal and going for about 10 years without caring about 'beating' the game anymore. You can get some tense moments though.

On that note, it feels like Randy got tweaked, I feel like I'm getting raided a little harder than I should be, and with way more frequency.