Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Bleck posted:

I mean yeah, and we had those too. But holding a newborn pup squeezed out of a womb packed to nearly bursting of other pups because the breed was so utterly small that it's basically not possible for them to breed without intervention and having to carefully and forcefully whip it through the air to swing the plug of mucus and amniotic fluid out of its airways so that it could maybe start breathing and survive made me rethink people's relationships with dogs, and then doing that several other times solidified those feelings.

Never witness a human pregnancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

flakeloaf posted:

But like, ugh. Humans :)

:hmmyes:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

nah that's just pugs and some frenchies, and dog people hate them too

I dont want to continue the derail but you really should go look up some of the documentaries that have come out in the last 5-10 years that go in depth on how much humans have hosed up our domesticated animals to suffer from genetic defects and reduced quality of life. BBC had a good one on dogs a few years back that was good enough even if it had some very obvious bits of misinformation (I think it was either Dogs that Changed the World or Pedigree Dogs Exposed).

Im pretty sure when the Liberals updated the animal cruelty laws in 2018/19 they also added a bunch of stuff regarding breeders for this reason.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Don't you guys hate dog?

Look at this alien thing:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Furnaceface posted:

I dont want to continue the derail but you really should go look up some of the documentaries that have come out in the last 5-10 years that go in depth on how much humans have hosed up our domesticated animals to suffer from genetic defects and reduced quality of life. BBC had a good one on dogs a few years back that was good enough even if it had some very obvious bits of misinformation (I think it was either Dogs that Changed the World or Pedigree Dogs Exposed).

The brachy breeds do get a lot of poo poo, but my "just" was unjust; the problem really is widespread and goes well beyond those snorking , bug-eyed rat-monsters.

Furnaceface posted:

Im pretty sure when the Liberals updated the animal cruelty laws in 2018/19 they also added a bunch of stuff regarding breeders for this reason.

I hadn't heard that, I just remember that much of it was touted as banning further attempts to crossbreed them with humans.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

The brachy breeds do get a lot of poo poo, but my "just" was unjust; the problem really is widespread and goes well beyond those snorking , bug-eyed rat-monsters.

Yeah, even the breeds that look normal have a lot of problems. Golden retrievers are the perfect example: they’re great dogs that look very dog-like and normal, but they can have terrible hip problems. I had one growing up, she was the bestest girl but I wouldn’t have a purebreed ever again because I wouldn’t want to see a dog in pain like that.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Pets can’t consent to ownership

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dog owners are all kinds of hosed up. Now let me tell you all about why my cute wittle floofy kitty is the bestest pet ever (my cat is a loving murderer who enjoys playing God with any animal foolish enough to enter our yard)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Pets can’t consent to ownership

But humans can, makes you think.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Randalor posted:

Dog owners are all kinds of hosed up. Now let me tell you all about why my cute wittle floofy kitty is the bestest pet ever (my cat is a loving murderer who enjoys playing God with any animal foolish enough to enter our yard)

lmao if your dog doesn't do that too

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Oxyclean posted:

lmao if your dog doesn't do that too

It's not even comparable

Outdoor cats are complete ruthless murder machines and should be banned in all municipalities tbh

I think the average outdoor cat kills on average 10 small animals/birds a day or something ridiculous

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Our cat did that, but to be fair, he was fully part of the food chain. That motherfucker disappeared into the forest of the West Kootenays for near enough to three weeks and didn't die, so I'd say nature had its chance with him. Fair play.

In the suburbs, it's a different story.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Alctel posted:

It's not even comparable

Outdoor cats are complete ruthless murder machines and should be banned in all municipalities tbh

I think the average outdoor cat kills on average 10 small animals/birds a day or something ridiculous

Its not quite that bad but they do have a noticeable impact on local wildlife as their numbers increase. Since vets charge several months pay to fix a pet these days the real problem is that many cities are now seeing colonies popping up when people inevitably toss their pets out the door when they no longer want or can afford them. Some places are even seeing stray dog populations increase.

I did get a good chuckle out of Calgary of all places being the only smart city in the country when they invested in spaying/neutering their feral cat populations. Ottawa has kinda sorta started this process too but I never heard anything past them doing that one giant colony in the park near the Rideau Canal.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Calgary also has an absurdly high pet insurance rate, for some reason. You should get pet insurance, everyone with a pet. It's very cheap and covers huge amounts of things in the event your best friend gets hurt or becomes sick.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Alctel posted:

It's not even comparable

One every 16 hours

so-called "outdoor cats" are a loving sourge and i will never understand why municipal politicans lack the balls to tell people to lock floofy murdermittens indoors

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Furnaceface posted:

Its not quite that bad but they do have a noticeable impact on local wildlife as their numbers increase. Since vets charge several months pay to fix a pet these days the real problem is that many cities are now seeing colonies popping up when people inevitably toss their pets out the door when they no longer want or can afford them. Some places are even seeing stray dog populations increase.

I did get a good chuckle out of Calgary of all places being the only smart city in the country when they invested in spaying/neutering their feral cat populations. Ottawa has kinda sorta started this process too but I never heard anything past them doing that one giant colony in the park near the Rideau Canal.

Just cull them, like any other animal overpopulation/nuisance animal. I genuinely don’t get how throwing money at catching/spaying/releasing animals makes any real sense. Put them down, humanely, and be done with it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Frank Dillinger posted:

Just cull them, like any other animal overpopulation/nuisance animal. I genuinely don’t get how throwing money at catching/spaying/releasing animals makes any real sense. Put them down, humanely, and be done with it.

Because kitties!!!!

Same thing that happened when rabbits were overpopulated in Canmore. God forbid we harm one, better they should disrupt the ecosystem and gently caress over each other but also many less adorable animals. Of course we mustn't have any of their natural predators about either, they could carry away Fifi the idiot Pomeranian.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Alctel posted:

It's not even comparable

Wasn't trying to say it was; I agree that outdoor cats are a problem.

But my parents dog apparently got an unlucky bird or squirrel or two that made the mistake of being in the backyard. It's definitely not on the same level, but there's absolutely some dogs predisposed to murder, they just rarely get the opportunity.

Honestly I think the smarter approach to outdoor cats is focusing on the safety of the cat. You want your cat indoors because it means a healthier, longer lived cat. People don't care about birds and poo poo.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

e: ^^^ dogs definitely engage in surplus hunting (I think that is the scientific term? someone smarter than me can correct this) though its not quite as bad as cats. Its why cities take wild dog populations seriously.

Frank Dillinger posted:

Cities with bad enough problems do exactly that. I guess Calgary didnt have a large problem and wanted to go for the optics route instead? :shrug:

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 1, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The compromise is leash training your cat.

I'm gonna be sad if a crackdown on wandering cats means no more stopping to pet cool cats on walks and bike rides but birds are part of a healthy urban ecosystem.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Does Surrey still have that peacock problem?

Maybe they could use the cats.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Powershift posted:

Does Surrey still have that peacock problem?

Maybe they could use the cats.

Ah the trusted "Old lady who swallowed a fly" approach to pest control.

Where do politicians fit on that food chain? :v:

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

The core of the stray problem is lovely owners who can't keep their pet inside/abandon them once the "cool" period is over. I predict a real poo poo show in Quebec soon as the Govt gave a partial exemption for the curfew to dog owners so they could got outside with them. In the next few months when these people start learning what having a dog involve once you are fully back to working full time, I'm sure a shitload will be abandoned.

As for cats specifically, they are apex predator in small format. Not exactly surprising they kill a lot of small stuff.

Keep your pets inside or on a leash.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUrscYwFZns

A pretty good and recent documentary about the feral cat problem in Cornwall, Ontario. It's not super uplifting fwiw.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

We should just welcome packs of coyotes into our urban centers to the point where they take public transit to get around like dogs in Russia. I'm sure we could reach a stable equilibrium where they don't mess with us and they get to eat all that sweet sweet rabbit meat and maybe a couple deer every so often in Charleswood.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been without connection for two days and the only news update I heard was on Radio 1 which said there's still 30% of the population lacking a first dose and were slamming headlong into wave 4 because Alberta's government is homicidal.

The vaccination tracker on the ctv website has barely moved for the last few weeks have we run into a wall?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I hope everyone who cannot receive a vaccine for any reason all survive any infection they contract without any lasting effects, and all the willfully unvaccinated die a miserable death punctuated only by their moans of "I wish I'd taken the vaccine." I'm from Calgary, and I say "kill 'em all!"

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've been without connection for two days and the only news update I heard was on Radio 1 which said there's still 30% of the population lacking a first dose and were slamming headlong into wave 4 because Alberta's government is homicidal.

The vaccination tracker on the ctv website has barely moved for the last few weeks have we run into a wall?

Ages 12 and up it's 81% that have at least one dose, 66.6% that have two. Not sure if that's a better or worse way to look at it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Another Bill posted:

A pretty good and recent documentary about the feral cat problem in Cornwall, Ontario. It's not super uplifting fwiw.

Would you say it's become Malthusian in scope?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Tsyni posted:

Ages 12 and up it's 81% that have at least one dose, 66.6% that have two. Not sure if that's a better or worse way to look at it.

From a "hope" standpoint it's always better to look at %eligible. eventually kids will be eligible too, it's that 19% of adults to worry about

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The coyotes are enjoying the outdoor cat population in Hamilton.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

prom candy posted:

The coyotes are enjoying the outdoor cat population in Hamilton.

https://twitter.com/robferguson1/status/1421812559280320520

The cats are taking over. It's their town now.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Remember what a cat does to everything you own? Now apply that to nature. keep cats inside or leashed.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

I moved from Parkdale to escape the feral cat colonies. Now this.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
The outdoor cat ban thing is applicable to suburban or urban communities, but in rural municipalities it's not as black and white. My parents live in a rural area and literally cannot go without a good outdoor mouser cat. The one year they didn't have a cat (in between one dying of old age and finding a new one) they had a mouse infestation in their crawl space under the house. The alternative is using expensive and potentially dangerous traps and poisons, which is silly when one good outdoor cat will keep their house rodent free.

Yes outdoor cats kill a lot of small animals in their bloodlust, but keep in mind in some places there are a LOT of small animals that become a problem themselves if they aren't kept in check. Plus cats are territorial, so it isn't like their cat is going around town killing every animal in sight, she's protecting and hunting in a territory that probably doesn't extend past their property line by much if at all.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The Federal election starts next week probably

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Another Bill posted:

I watched this a while ago. Good watch imo.

I feel like an underlying story of this documentary is of feral cat problems being an indicator of deep structural, economic issues. It's a story of secular economic downturn, austerity, class separation and provincial negligence.

The town has such deep economic woes that can't come up with a mere $40k to help control this cat problem. I don't know anything about Cornwall, but abundantly clear from the doc that uh, times have not been good.

The province surely recognizes that a large double digit part of Ontario's feral cat problem comes from a single town, and yet is absent, doing nothing. An example of how the province downloads its problems to cities that have weak revenue tools and little ability to tackle these problems.

The only tool that cities have in the toolbox are property taxes, and it's clear that the (relatively) rich in Cornwall see the cats as a poor neighbourhood problem and protest why their property taxes are going up to deal with it.

Wildest question for me that comes out of this documentary is why on earth are costs for neutering cats so much staggeringly higher in Ontario than Quebec? The cat rescuers have to go across the border to QC to be able to afford to do what they do. Really this is the underlying issue that is driving the entire problem. The poor in Ontario literally cannot afford to neuter their cats. Again the province is totally absent here.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
dog owners are the small business owners of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

DariusLikewise posted:

The Federal election starts next week probably

yeah I've heard this too. I work for the public service and this basically fucks all our current projects for the next month