Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Only just started 1-5 but it's really interesting how there have been no "typical" cases of yet. 1-1 was the standard tutorial, 1-2 had no trial, 1-3 had no investigation, we didn't corner a suspect, and our defendant likely did the deed, and 1-4 was an accident the victim survived

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

1-4 Bruce Fairplay does mention having lived in Australia if you press him during one of the Summation Examinations. It is 100% intentional. Juror 2 from 1-3 is also clearly a southern belle. They're going for a broad representation of anglophones.

1-5 I have to wonder if Gregson is still gonna show up as a plum detective in Resolve cases. I think he's honestly the most reprehensible character in the series, and the little bit in the ending of him being even more popular at the Yard after a new Sholmes story did not inspire confidence that he's going to face any consequences for his actions. I did really appreciate the Gumshoe vibes of his theme, but this case kind of ruined it for me.

1-5I think it's certainly significant though that he was one of the names on the mysterious telegram list at the end of the game. So I dunno how they'll use him in the second game but I doubt it's gonna be just as the detective. And based on the fates of the two other names on that list we know, I'm wondering if he's gonna end up murdered.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Morphogenic96 posted:

Actually ended up laughing at just how suspiciously familiar the entire jury for 1-5 is. Bad enough that's it's commented on several times in game even.

I saw the Russian guy there and thought there'd be a thing given the hints about espionage and state secrets, I laughed so hard when Naruhodo immediately identified him and was like "uhhhhhhh"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
2-3 investigation: Finally we get to hang out with van Zieks outside of court and it was everything I dreamed. The man is a boss. Also I feel like they're implying something absolutely insane with regards to his sidekick and I'm not sure how that could possibly be the case, but I'm not sure what else it even could be.

E: He's even concerned about Natsume's well-being! Because he's a good egg and afraid his 'Reaper' reputation might harm someone actually innocent.

E2: I almost left without noticing the bats! What a marvelous office.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 31, 2021

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Case 1-3: I understand that prosecutor von Dracula is loving scary, but why exactly couldn't McGilded get any lawyer at all? It's not like he needed someone competent and a fat paycheck covereth a moltitude of embarrassment and getting owned by Zieks. Eh, I'm probably overthinking this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The cases in this not sticking to the established formula certainly gives proceedings an off kilter feel.
Certainly doesn't feel like I'm on the second to last case of the first game, low key as it has been so far.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
2-5 Done! I admit, I kinda wish there was a little more going on with the end of the trial -- there's the will, then a _lot_ of talking, and then we pull in Sholmes (literally, lol). Iris' backstory was pretty surprising to me, admittedly, but also I wasn't thinking too hard about that at this point. I... do kind of wish we got to see Susato in court again. Her objection theme was lovely. To be honest, I think TGAA2's soundtrack is absolutely fantastic. God, I'm still thinking about that final Dance of Deduction.

I do have pretty mixed feelings about how they deal with Gregson in this game. Him throwing Gina under the bus doesn't come up here at all in any of the cases, and there's definitely more reverence than I would've expected for someone who was helping to carry out assassinations (even if he was coerced).

Game good.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah the entirety of the first four cases feel like the extended setup for a routine that never actually materialises in game 1. It's kinda weird pacing but it doesn't matter that much when the games are sold together like this.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Yeah the entirety of the first four cases feel like the extended setup for a routine that never actually materialises in game 1. It's kinda weird pacing but it doesn't matter that much when the games are sold together like this.

Yeah and I understand that was the biggest criticism of the first game on its release. I have to imagine that was a big part of the decision to package them together for the localization.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
A downside of the less structured flow of these games is that you get this unnatural feeling that a whole bunch of stuff seemingly not related to a case is totally going to be relevant.
Like, case 5: I am sure learning an awful lot about pawnshop operations!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah and I understand that was the biggest criticism of the first game on its release. I have to imagine that was a big part of the decision to package them together for the localization.

Oh, if they had done the first 3DS game by itself, it would have tanked HARD.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

1-5 This motherfucker's name is EGGERT BENEDICT

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GAA 2-2 Gee that case hosed me up good. Poor Olive! I might be a hypocrite but I don't even care that she would've let Soseki take the fall, I still sympathize so strongly with her and her plight broke my heart. I'm glad things turned out like they did though, she'll serve her time but she'll live and hopefully will go on to be happy again one day. And that absolute fucker Shamspeare will face justice. Great case.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
"Minds are... wont to blank!" is a great line from GAA 2-1

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

1-5 This motherfucker's name is EGGERT BENEDICT

When you get too used to whacky AA names...

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh, if they had done the first 3DS game by itself, it would have tanked HARD.
It didn't exactly tank but it did get a lot of venom from fans when it was released in Japan.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

leather fedora posted:

It didn't exactly tank but it did get a lot of venom from fans when it was released in Japan.

Surprising they took a risk to release the more controversial one, you'd think they'd release the Apollo Justice series beforehand.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2-2 really bold move to have a famous irl author in the Larry Butz role

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
2-3 This feels like the first "normal" case in the series, complete with a culprit that is obvious from their conspicuous absence for the majority of it. I've no reason to suspect this Sithe woman but also I'm 100% convinced that shedunnit. It's only now that I'm coming to realize how hard it's been to peg the culprits of most of the previous cases.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the muted anti-japanese racism is kinda weird when you think about the game being aimed towards a young-ish audience. not sure what they got out of it

and it's still unrealistic for how much more racist it'd play out in real life

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ace Attorney has received M ratings in the past and featured an on-screen suicide, it's not going for a particularly young audience.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at least in japan the fanbase is mostly young adult women

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I bought the first Ace Attorney at around ten years old and I didn’t know what luminal or Cross examination was but I did know about racism. I think young players would be more confused about things like omnibuses and stuff than the racism

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
kids love true crime

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Case 1-3: so that's where Japanifornia got the not guilty confetti from.

Actual comments: I like the new translation not dropping the three letter slur all the time. "My learned friend"* is just as racist in a more contemporary way.
I think the case did the guilty defendant way better than Engarde. McGilded is obviously guilty to us players but poor Naruhodo came to London in the morning and got saddled with this mess, so his decision of screw victory I'm here for the truth has more weight.
Admittedly Nick having the option to rub into Engarde's face how hosed he was at the end of that trial had a certain je ne sais quoi though

*What's next Drac, "articulate"? Please tell me he uses articulate for that guy in 1-4.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think someone mentioned "my learned friend" is one of those elevated English phrases you use in court. Though you can definitely taste the contempt behind that line, hah

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

'My learned friend' is how you're supposed to refer to a barrister in a British court for decorum reasons (even now). Makes sense that Zieks is required to use it, although he expresses his contempt in many other ways.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's a good translation because in a vacuum it's a normal statement but taken with the other phrases he uses you can absolutely feel the contempt behind it. It's a credit to the translation that they found a phrase that is both fitting and yet when read absolutely comes across as talking down.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

He almost always specifically uses it when deriding or condescending to Naruhodo, so in context yeah it's pretty clear he's not being sincere about using it.

Naruhodo also turns it around on him at at least one point which is pretty great.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Irony Be My Shield posted:

'My learned friend' is how you're supposed to refer to a barrister in a British court for decorum reasons (even now). Makes sense that Zieks is required to use it, although he expresses his contempt in many other ways.

He also constantly actively and directly belittles Ryunosuke and keeps referring to him as "Nipponese" so...

But I think over the course of the trial his opinion starts to change and he starts to rethink his preconceptions

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Why isn’t one of the extra outfits complete with glorious headband :mad:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

He almost always specifically uses it when deriding or condescending to Naruhodo, so in context yeah it's pretty clear he's not being sincere about using it.

Naruhodo also turns it around on him at at least one point which is pretty great.

Oh yeah, in this context it is 100% an insult but there are rules about how you speak to the sides in court and parliament here.

Big Decorum Energy basically.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

He also constantly actively and directly belittles Ryunosuke and keeps referring to him as "Nipponese" so...

Curiously, I suspect "Nipponese" might actually be the more appropriate word for the era, though I'm hardly a historian. It is the native name for the country, after all - "Japan" is a rather mangled word having come to English via Portuguese people recording the Chinese name for the country. There are some scattered sources on the Internet that suggest they were using that name internationally in the Meiji era, so maybe on that particular point he's merely being stiff rather than outright rude?

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Endorph posted:

at least in japan the fanbase is mostly young adult women

Interesting. It makes perfect sense on grounds of Miles Edgeworth alone, but I always thought they were aimed more at teens or kids even a little bit younger. The games tend to repeat basic plot points a lot and always make sure that you really understand the basic mechanics. Also, they never get too dark or violent. I got the impression that the developers wanted to include a younger audience at least.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

KonvexKonkav posted:

Also, they never get too dark or violent. I got the impression that the developers wanted to include a younger audience at least.

It's no more violent than TV Court Dramas, its just that this franchise, for obvious reasons, doesn't include sexual assault and beyond cases, just neat and tidy murder.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The murderers are mostly instant death ones too with most cases being people getting stabbed, bonked, or shot with few rare exceptions

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The soundtrack isn't hitting for me as consistently as some other entries but when it hits it really loving hits, this is one of my new favorite tracks in the series (think it first plays at the very end of 1-4):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_UHhN78C5E

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think the official translation made good choices with how it handled the racism. It’s still really apparent that it’s everywhere without dropping slurs that would make playing the game very uncomfortable.

That said, I’m not even sure how accurate the usage of that particular slur is. I’ve always associated it more with WWII era America.

And yeah Ace Attorney is a series with a teen plus demographic that has received M ratings in the past. They definitely could have chosen not to include period racism if they wanted to, but it’s not inappropriate for the intended audience.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well yes pretty much everything about Sooz is perfect and she manages to stand out even among the powerful cast of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Arist posted:

The soundtrack isn't hitting for me as consistently as some other entries but when it hits it really loving hits, this is one of my new favorite tracks in the series (think it first plays at the very end of 1-4):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_UHhN78C5E

That and Kazuma's themes were what stood out to me in the first game the most. Also Iris' theme was extremely fun, but I don't think I would enjoy it in larger doses. The title theme does a really good job of giving you the sense of a grand adventure though, in my opinion.