Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I loved Hunter falling through the trees like Rambo in First Blood. I'm kind of hoping we get a First Blood style ep next week, with him escaping, and being pursued, armed only with his knife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay now if that doesn't happen I'll be upset.

Really upset.

Rex is Troutman?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
This show is so visually beautiful.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Cheesus posted:

This show is so visually beautiful.

They have gotten so good at animation in this style, I can't wait for the next non-clone adjacent property to come out from this group.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So wait I haven't kept up with bad batch, but Scorch was in an episode and didn't say two lines? I'm not sure if I'd be happy he didn't talk since they wouldn't get Raphael back and Baker doing his voice would sound wrong or if I'm sad he didn't quip like a dumbass manchild.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I watched some more Clone Wars S6

The Clovis / Banking arc was good. Though the show is pretty consistently good at this point I wasn't expecting much and it was a pleasant surprise. It felt like someone heard the complaints about politics in the prequels and decided to write a story about a fight over the banks as a challenge. The story is very clearly getting close to Episode 3 and while it's not as overt as Ahsoka leaving or Order 66 being discovered, between the Republic gaining a huge victory and Anakin's rage and jealousy being prominent it's clear that we're in the home stretch.

The Jar-Jar / Mace arc sucks. People will tell you "this is the one where Jar Jar is good" and nope, he still sucks. Aside from hating Jar-Jar (and not really liking Mace) I don't like it when the show diverges much from the way the movies present the Force. It's part of why I didn't like the Mortis arc, and part of why I hated most of the Nightsisters stuff, and it's fully on display here. The Indiana Jones stuff was cute I guess.

Given I know the next arc has elements of both I'm really curious to see how I find it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the Jar Jar episodes as a way to troll people. I hate the Yoda arc that comes next though. Maul doing the Gollum routine was bad enough but the Yoda arc does it twice with different characters and it drives me nuts.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I really haven't liked Maul much in Clone Wars, which surprised me since his stuff in Rebels was great (especially his first appearance).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maul is handled rather poorly in clone wars, but his season 7 appearance is pretty good. I dont think the writers really knew what to do with him, which is why they decided to make his brother a new Sith apprentice before immediately ditching that idea and going "why don't we just use Maul instead?" So Maul gets tossed around from plot to plot until they decide he'll be a crime boss but then he's also Mandalore but then he is a crime boss again and it just goes in circles.

The only two things about Maul that really work in TCW and Rebels are his obsession with vengeance against Obi-Wan and his "only sane man" approach to avoid Sidious's coming purge.

Inconsistency is what holds both shows back even if they're overall decent. You have a number of episodes that can be downright brilliant and several that are solidly good, but then you also have stretches where the stories just fall flat, or are downright bad, or it's clear that plots and characters are getting mashed together for little reason. Barriss, for example, was a victim of the show ditching half the supporting cast and failing to develop any meaningful relationships between Ahsoka and other characters after season 3. When the show pulled back from the broad view of the war to really focus on Obi Wan, Anakin and Ahsoka and their adventures it felt like the scope became more limited and because supporting characters could go several seasons without appearing it made certain twists feel cheap and unearned because they weren't built up.

Fives, for example, only started developing as a character after literally every other, more interesting, member of Domino Squad died or vanished.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 2, 2021

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Arcsquad12 posted:

Maul is handled rather poorly in clone wars, but his season 7 appearance is pretty good. I dont think the writers really knew what to do with him, which is why they decided to make his brother a new Sith apprentice before immediately ditching that idea and going "why don't we just use Maul instead?" So Maul gets tossed around from plot to plot until they decide he'll be a crime boss but then he's also Mandalore but then he is a crime boss again and it just goes in circles.
I thought the Mandalore arc was pretty well handled in terms of Maul finding crime boss as his calling.

Like he knew Pre Visla was going to betray him and while he initially seemed indifferent to becoming the Mandalorian leader, once he had it the power of it appealed to him. Just as he was leaning into it, Sidious basically imparts onto him that Maul is becoming too big and that maybe he should just stick with crime boss.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

quote:

After the events of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, Poe Dameron and BB-8 must make an emergency landing on the volcanic planet Mustafar where they meet the greedy and conniving Graballa the Hutt. The crime boss has purchased Darth Vader’s castle and is renovating it into the galaxy’s first all-inclusive Sith-inspired luxury hotel.

While waiting for his X-Wing to be repaired, Poe, BB-8, Graballa, and Dean (a plucky and courageous young boy who works as Graballa’s mechanic) venture deep into the mysterious castle with Vader’s loyal servant, Vaneé. Along the way, Vaneé shares three creepy stories linked to ancient artifacts and iconic villains from across all eras of Star Wars.

As Vaneé spins his tales and lures our heroes deeper into the shadowy underbelly of the castle, a sinister plan emerges. With the help of Dean, Poe and BB-8 will have to face their fears, stop an ancient evil from rising, and escape to make it back to their friends.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

That's already a comic book series, Tales of Vader's Castle or something like that.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol, I missed the part where it said it was Lego Star Wars and was about to post about how awful that sounded.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Is Dean Broom Boy?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sith….inspired…luxury……hotel….

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Sith….inspired…luxury……hotel….

It’s LEGO Star Wars, it’s not supposed to take itself seriously

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Larryb posted:

It’s LEGO Star Wars, it’s not supposed to take itself seriously

Oh, I know. But even knowing that, that part stood out to me as funny.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
That sounds awesome. Ditch the galactic cruiser hotel and replace it with a sith hotel.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Graballa was one of the best parts of Freemaker Adventures, so it’ll be fun to see him again.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
In old EU anakin solo, his weird girlfriend, the teddy bear jedi master and tionne go into vaders castle to recover obiwan's lightsaber and that story just sounds like that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Lego Star Wars Xmas special was pretty fun so I'll give it a shot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I find it amusing that (as far as I know) the only ones doing anything with the sequel trilogy currently (both in terms of shows and games) are the LEGO Star Wars series.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

I find it amusing that (as far as I know) the only ones doing anything with the sequel trilogy currently (both in terms of shows and games) are the LEGO Star Wars series.

I was about to counter argue with the Mandalorian but even that, after thinking about it, is still very much original trilogy. :v:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lego by it's nature is five steps removed from any actual expectations from fans other than the ones they set for themselves. They've been very wise to play loose with everything they've done in film and games and rely entirely on their existing brand cache. They're allowed to do things with other people's IP that not even the IP holders are allowed to do. When I worked at Disney I was always jealous of their freedom.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

The director of the Visions episode The Ninth Jedi said it’s post-TROS, though obviously it won’t be strictly Canon either. There’s also the Rogue Squadron movie coming up.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Larryb posted:

Anita Dickinme posted:

I was about to counter argue with the Mandalorian but even that, after thinking about it, is still very much original trilogy. :v:

I’m ready for Lego Mandolorian, make it happen!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m ready for Lego Mandolorian, make it happen!

Mando and Grogu showed up in the holiday special.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Urdnot Fire posted:

There’s also the Rogue Squadron movie coming up.

FWIW, we don’t know when that’s set or any details about that yet. IIRC, the logo for it is an OT T-65 and not a ST T-70, but that’s still years away so who knows…

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Season 2 Announced:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1423267557428039683?s=20

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Inevitable but still :hellyeah:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I knew this was going to happen but awesome nonetheless (only real question is if the next season is it or if the show will wind up going for more)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Larryb posted:

I knew this was going to happen but awesome nonetheless (only real question is if the next season is it or if the show will wind up going for more)

Given how late this announcement came, looks like it's going to be decided on a season by season basis.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
How does Filoni keep getting the money to do this. How.

I mean I'm really enjoying the Bad Batch now but still. I'm continually surprised by animated Star Wars' success.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I figured they were running out of runway to make a good landing. Glad the Dad Batch will have at least another season of Dee Bradley Baker doing 80% of the voicework.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

Given how late this announcement came, looks like it's going to be decided on a season by season basis.

I don't think this is necessarily the case. If its going to be airing in 2022 its likely already in production. I think the announcement is just being made near the end of the season to get everyone hype.

that being said, I want/need a show that is a bit more grandiose and mystical and force-adjacent with the same quality this team is putting into these bad batch episodes. Their shows are so loving good looking now and CWS7 was amazing so please give me a new show too!!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Season 7 of Clone Wars is less than a year old, The Mandalorian season 2 just over six months. We've had quite a lot of big deal force stuff of late.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Arquinsiel posted:

Season 7 of Clone Wars is less than a year old, The Mandalorian season 2 just over six months. We've had quite a lot of big deal force stuff of late.

Mando doesnt count its live action. I just want some gorgeously animated mystical poo poo to balance out the clone stuff. I was psyched when there were all those rebels rumors but it looks like that may end up just being part of the ahsoka live action.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Jerkface posted:

Mando doesnt count its live action. I just want some gorgeously animated mystical poo poo to balance out the clone stuff. I was psyched when there were all those rebels rumors but it looks like that may end up just being part of the ahsoka live action.

Monkey's paw... You now have season 2 of The Resistance.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Burning_Monk posted:

Monkey's paw... You now have season 2 of The Resistance.

Jokes on you I liked resistance :getin: I want a rogue squadron tie in that uses the resistance animation style since it worked way better for the ship stuff at portraying speed. Resistance just needed to ditch Kaz, there was some good stuff going on in there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013

Larryb posted:

It's even more amusing when even the Lego specials try to avoid some of the plot elements from TROS, like Rey being a Palpatine or Rey using the Skywalker name.