Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I can't fault anyone for pirating a game with Games for Windows Live. I still keep a pirated copy of that game (with GFWL patched out) even though I own GTA4 complete on Steam and PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

John_A_Tallon posted:

That was before broad band was widely adopted. A lot of warez groups would strip out videos, reduce the quality of or remove audio samples, and in some cases even repackage textures and other art assets just to reduce the amount of data that pirates needed to download. In this case, pirates decided the voice sample of the boat pilot talking to JC wasn't necessary, and cut it out entirely. This crashed the game whenever it tried to access the missing file.

Right. But.. follow my reasoning here... imagine one of the programmers of Deus Ex finishing up the code. "Hmmm," he says between sips of Mt. Dew, "a lot of sad, misguided people will pirate this. However, this game takes up a full CD, yet most people at home have only 56K, because it's 2000 and not 2021 where everyone has high speed internet. Therefore, when a pirate group cracks this, they will 'strip' it by removing all the sound and music files to make it smaller. Soooo... what if I rig an essential conversation to not go forward unless the sound file is present?" (bong rip) "Yeah, man! I'll do it so the game stops at the end of Liberty Island, so the pirates will get a good taste of the game and want to buy the full version!"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I wouldn't be surprised if there were more places the scripting breaks because it waits on a voice line to complete before continuing. It's just no one managed to get past the first one!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

site posted:

This just reminds me of how I didn't know Max Payne had a voiceover during the comic segments for years because the ripper took em all out lol

This is just goddamn tragic.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

JustJeff88 posted:

There's one feature Shifter has that I like but Biomod leaves out, but I can't remember what it is.

I need to play the PS2 version of this game. I hunted it down specifically and I even bought the official strategy guide because I stumbled on it for $5 at a FLGS, but it's going to be tough playing with no mouse for aiming and a controller on a game clearly designed for a keyboard. I think Easy difficulty for my first run.

The PS2 version is actually a very good port by the standards of the time and worth a go by any Deus Ex fan. I’m pleased to say it controls very well and has a generous auto aim system so you won’t struggle in combat. You will struggle a lot more trying to pick gas mines off the walls before they explode.

Performance is a mixed bag - most areas keep to around 30fps but in the larger open areas and where there are a lot of NPCS the frame rate gets very choppy. Predictably levels have been cut into smaller segments, some rearranged (Liberty Island exterior is very different), and the audio is of noticeably inferior quality. Textures aren’t very good but models and animations have been substantially improved. Characters all have modelled eyes, and NPCs collapse in a realistic fashion.

They’ve also changed the inventory. Instead of the grid system that RE4 would popularise, it’s just a series of slots with maximum capacities for each item.

Which means it is strongly recommended you pick the GEP Gun right at the start and keep it for the entire game.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
PS2 intro cutscene is legit better than the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJegc9eEG8M

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
That is super cool,i forgot about that,also really nice firebomb effect there,very impressive.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The PS2 version is actually a very good port by the standards of the time and worth a go by any Deus Ex fan. I’m pleased to say it controls very well and has a generous auto aim system so you won’t struggle in combat. You will struggle a lot more trying to pick gas mines off the walls before they explode.

Performance is a mixed bag - most areas keep to around 30fps but in the larger open areas and where there are a lot of NPCS the frame rate gets very choppy. Predictably levels have been cut into smaller segments, some rearranged (Liberty Island exterior is very different), and the audio is of noticeably inferior quality. Textures aren’t very good but models and animations have been substantially improved. Characters all have modelled eyes, and NPCs collapse in a realistic fashion.

They’ve also changed the inventory. Instead of the grid system that RE4 would popularise, it’s just a series of slots with maximum capacities for each item.

Which means it is strongly recommended you pick the GEP Gun right at the start and keep it for the entire game.

One change that the PS2 version makes for memory purposes but actually improves how the game flows is right at the start, where the dock at Liberty Island now connects directly to the UNATCO entrance/helipad area instead of making you get past that first guard to get there. It helps to emphasize to new players that the game is about exploration and interaction first and shooting second, rather than the other way around.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
To this day, I still turn right after the first NSF guard. Did it on my first run, never changed. I don't actually know what the UNATCO guard tells you, I've only heard it once. Something about being locked down tight?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I thought you were talking about differences between the two versions?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Yeah I always do that too. I mostly consider it a really big, really loud, lockpick.

It's funny looking back and seeing people rioting and stealing to get their hands on vaccines. Apparently very unrealistic.

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 30, 2021

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Phobophilia posted:

It's super cool but I'm so bothered by only hearing the first half of most sentences. My brain kept wanting to fill in what wasn't there.

Serephina posted:

To this day, I still turn right after the first NSF guard. Did it on my first run, never changed. I don't actually know what the UNATCO guard tells you, I've only heard it once. Something about being locked down tight?
On my first run I carefully snuck from the start and immediately found the medbots on the left. I then spent probably a few weeks finishing the level cause I kept limping back there to heal after every failed attempt. :shobon:

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 30, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's funny looking back and seeing people rioting and stealing to get their hands on vaccines. Apparently very unrealistic.

Deus Ex finally got something wrong, and of course it's about a thing where the reality is even more absurd than the dystopian version

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eason the Fifth posted:

Deus Ex finally got something wrong, and of course it's about a thing where the reality is even more absurd than the dystopian version

rear end in a top hat rich person with bad hair and a god complex going "why contain it?.... S'cool" was actually on target though :v:

Edit: also that same person usurping control of a different group of rich assholes. Sadly no AI with a conscience to save us.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 30, 2021

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I noticed the inventory changes while thumbing the manual. For a console game, that's probably for the best. I will keep in mind the GEP gun thing as I am usually a sniper rifle guy. Subtle approach and all that.

I hope that I enjoy it. It has a tough act to follow in the PC version as a predecessor. I bought this during a strange phase that I went through where I bought console versions of games that probably should have been PC exclusives; I also picked up Thief 3 and Invisible War for the original XBox. The difference is that Deus Ex was a classic that was then ported while the other two are games that were compromised on PC by also having a simultaneous console release. That said, I still really enjoy Thief 3.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Angry_Ed posted:

rear end in a top hat rich person with bad hair and a god complex going "why contain it?.... S'cool" was actually on target though :v:

Edit: also that same person usurping control of a different group of rich assholes. Sadly no AI with a conscience to save us.

LOL if only the Google Facebook Twitter algorithms were able to place Republicans on the terrorist list like Morpheus

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

Extremely strange to see that one shot of a blue sky over Paris. Everybody knows the entire Deus Ex universe is one of perpetual night.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Picking anything but the GEP gun has always been a chump move, the other options are available on the island. The next chance for a GEP gun is the airport level.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Doom Mathematic posted:

Extremely strange to see that one shot of a blue sky over Paris. Everybody knows the entire Deus Ex universe is one of perpetual night.

I can't hear the intro without my mind dubbing over the recut

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

JustJeff88 posted:

There's one feature Shifter has that I like but Biomod leaves out, but I can't remember what it is.

I think there are a few, but the one that always gets me is that Shifter started out as a mod so that you didn't have to turn on the laser when you switched guns, and Biomod doesn't do that.

I think Biomod also gives you XP for kills? Which I hate. I might be confusing it for another mod though,

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
shifter does, which i like

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Outpost22 posted:

LOL if only the Google Facebook Twitter algorithms were able to place Republicans on the terrorist list like Morpheus

That was Daedalus :colbert:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
XP for kills is the devil, and I will elaborate if required. Me & a mate even had a long talk back in 2001 about how nice it was that DX didn't do that and what good design it was.

So naturally the first major mod tries to shoehorn it in...

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

Exploding seagulls.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Serephina posted:

XP for kills is the devil, and I will elaborate if required. Me & a mate even had a long talk back in 2001 about how nice it was that DX didn't do that and what good design it was.

So naturally the first major mod tries to shoehorn it in...

I agree with you on everything except claiming that it was part of the first major mod.

... Then again, I don't remember many mods directly of the Deus Ex gameplay back then. Chronos, I guess.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I actually like the experience for kills thing. I know that it's bad game design, but I'm a major completionist type who wants all the skills and all the points. Probably very much in the minority, but I was the sort of person in Thief games who wanted to cosh all of the enemies whether or not they were in my way.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah for me it's a nice way of picking up a couple extra skill upgrades along the way for doing something I'm already gonna do anyways

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Counterpoint: You should get XP for long range box throwing kills. If you connect on a 30+ degree arc throw, you get all the XPs.

E: XP for creative kills in general. My proudest moment in Human Revolution was figuring out that you could hack the turret in Singapore and then carry it around with you for most of the rest of the level.

I did ask for this. :cool:

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 31, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
seems reasonable to me

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Corpse physics was the one thing Invisible War had over the original but Human Revolution had to up the ante with tactical vending machines.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

https://youtu.be/0l3wOT9cSg4

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
The commentary for DXHR talks about how Eidos Montreal outsourced the Tyrant boss fights to another company, was it ever revealed who? The Hyron room at least was an interesting microcosm of the puzzle-boss confrontation with Page in A51, but I distinctly there just wasn't enough cover to fight Barrett unless you'd bought the dermal armor aug.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Vavrek posted:

I agree with you on everything except claiming that it was part of the first major mod.

... Then again, I don't remember many mods directly of the Deus Ex gameplay back then. Chronos, I guess.
I never got the Cassandra Project to work, even though RPS sang its praises.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
doesn't one of the mods give xp for stealthing, too?

like a bunch of points if you pass a checkpoint without the alarm state

i might be making that up or remembering it from something else.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
if I wanted to play Human Revolution, would you recommend the PC (GOG) version or the Wii U version? I like mouse aiming normally, but I've heard really, really good things about the Wii U version, which can't be sad for many 3rd-party Wii U games (the few that exist).

roomtone posted:

doesn't one of the mods give xp for stealthing, too?

like a bunch of points if you pass a checkpoint without the alarm state

i might be making that up or remembering it from something else.

No, no, this sounds familiar. Does anyone know about it?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Walker posted:

The commentary for DXHR talks about how Eidos Montreal outsourced the Tyrant boss fights to another company, was it ever revealed who? The Hyron room at least was an interesting microcosm of the puzzle-boss confrontation with Page in A51, but I distinctly there just wasn't enough cover to fight Barrett unless you'd bought the dermal armor aug.

I loved that you could basically skip the Hyron fight if you had the laser rifle.

Since they were behind bulletproof glass.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I loved that you could basically skip the Hyron fight if you had the laser rifle.

Since they were behind bulletproof glass.

I did it by accident and lol'd hard, what an anticlimax

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Same, used the laser rifle the first time and just felt confused after. "Was that it?"

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Wait you're complaining about it? That's probably the most "Deus Ex" thing in those later games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SCheeseman posted:

Wait you're complaining about it? That's probably the most "Deus Ex" thing in those later games.

I dunno I think the most Deus Ex thing was being able to sucker punch Namir and completely skip that bossfight basically.