Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

gvibes posted:

Finished up the PPI on my 996tt (i.e., the post-purchase inspection). It's perfect!

I need to stop doing this.

Wistfully thinks about the Green/Tan 996 Turbo he let get away last year.

Congrats on the 996 Turbo. What an awesome car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Speaking of ceramic coatings, I'm thinking of getting a Fister (lol) exhaust for my 993.

https://fdmotorsports.net/shop/ols/products/fister-993-stage-ii-sport-exhaust-modification

Worth getting a ceramic coating on the muffler?

IDK about coating. But I do like the Fister exhaust on my 996. Sounds lovely, ATMO.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dema posted:

IDK about coating. But I do like the Fister exhaust on my 996. Sounds lovely, ATMO.

Oh hey, where do you take your 996 to get stuff done?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Residency Evil posted:

Wistfully thinks about the Green/Tan 996 Turbo he let get away last year.

Congrats on the 996 Turbo. What an awesome car.

I remember that car. It was a gem. I wish I bought it too!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Shots fired.

https://twitter.com/carbuzzjared/status/1418704604154507265?s=19

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I guess I should drop this here.........

Getting ready for NEFR, changed the oil on the Cayenne and hooked up Durametric to reset the service reminder. It crashed in the middle of this, and I restarted it and went about clearing. All looked good.

I started it and it basically began screaming at me to bring it to the dealer. It had no suspension config at all. Ran the calibration where it drops everything to minimum, up to max, and then to somewhere in the middle and wants you to measure from the floor to each corner's measurement location. Found my old values, plugged them in.......and it looks fine now?

I'm gonna need to take it out and beat on it tomorrow. I hate having things like this happen during prep for an 8+ hour trip in each direction plus three days of beating it on logging roads.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Drove to Guanella Pass this morning. Man some of these roads sure are something. Out of curiosity, anything I should be doing with an aircooled car, taking it up to these elevations? The oil temp definitely got pretty high on the way up.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 25, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Man, I have aways thought of 993s with a wing on the back but that thing looks really, really great.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Such a good color.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Also:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2008-porsche-cayenne-gts-25/

I don't understand this world.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:confused:
Yeah, it's a 6 spd but really?

This will be one to watch until close to see how much it skyrockets
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1961-porsche-356b-super-coupe/
$49K right now

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

:confused:
Yeah, it's a 6 spd but really?

The 6spd isn't known for being particularly good either iirc, it's more the novelty of it. As to the winning bid, :psyboom: I like them but drat.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Just wait until these are legal for import into the US.
https://m.mobile.de/auto-inserat/po...5e2ae94&type=ad

Three more years this September until they're legal for import into Canada.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's neat, but for anywhere near that money there are other Porsches I'd be far more interested in.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

It's neat, but for anywhere near that money there are other Porsches I'd be far more interested in.

I absolutely agree. However, that manual Cayenne GTS certainly has set the tone for buying a bunch of Europe only Porsches at the 23-24 year old mark and driving them for free for a year or two then selling them to an American with waaaaaay to much money vs. sense.

You're totally right though, I would also much rather spend that kind of coin on a 997.1.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

I absolutely agree. However, that manual Cayenne GTS certainly has set the tone for buying a bunch of Europe only Porsches

It's not europe only. Many of them came through PCNA. And, as already mentioned, the trans is garbage.

Okay, well maybe not garbage. It would be really nice feeling compared to a 90's Land Rover Discovery and what you would expect on a 2000s Mustang. In a 6-figre-when-new (and apparently nearly that used) SUV.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

Drove to Guanella Pass this morning. Man some of these roads sure are something. Out of curiosity, anything I should be doing with an aircooled car, taking it up to these elevations? The oil temp definitely got pretty high on the way up.

I just drove Guanella Pass today too, and we’re camping out there. Really fun drive!

AWWNAW fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 27, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

AWWNAW posted:

I just drove Guanella Pass today too, and we’re camping out there. Really fun drive!

Oh hey look at that!

Regarding that Cayenne GTS, I'm trying to compare it to old broncos going for insane amounts of money and I just can't do that for a 2008 Cayenne.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 26, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well. gently caress.
Time to hunt for vacuum leaks I guess

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Guanella is a pretty one. Be super careful on 285. Law enforcement on that road is ridiculous.

Do Squaw Pass soon, if you haven't already.

Residency Evil posted:

Oh hey, where do you take your 996 to get stuff done?

Blue Chip. Recommended. https://bluechipfleet.com/

edit:

Your 993 would not be out of place there. They had the engine out of a yellow one when I was last there.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dema posted:

Guanella is a pretty one. Be super careful on 285. Law enforcement on that road is ridiculous.

Do Squaw Pass soon, if you haven't already.

Blue Chip. Recommended. https://bluechipfleet.com/

edit:

Your 993 would not be out of place there. They had the engine out of a yellow one when I was last there.

I've contacted Bluechip, and they're quoting me 1.5 hours of time @ $200/hour for an oil change, for a total of $433, and they also quoted 3 hours to install a Fister II. I've spent less than that at the dealer during warranty. I've also contacted Storz Garage, which seems to be all over Rennlist, and they quoted $275ish for the oil change.

Not too concerned over $100, but more concerned over the difference if I needed more extensive work down the road.

Also, holy poo poo, thanks for the heads up about 285. An M3 and I drove back to Denver along 285 at a pretty decent clip for stretches early in the morning. I'll be a lot more careful next time.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 27, 2021

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, probably not the cheapest. Specifically wanted to go there to get my IMS done since I know the lead mechanic guy has done a lot of them.

Morrison is also a notorious speed trap as is 6, Black Hawk and Central City.

Squaw Pass is good, IME. Haven't had problems on Peak to Peak. Also had good luck with Deer Creek, Turkey Creek and in general, the roads between 285 and Deckers.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I've contacted Bluechip, and they're quoting me 1.5 hours of time @ $200/hour for an oil change, for a total of $433, and they also quoted 3 hours to install a Fister II. I've spent less than that at the dealer during warranty. I've also contacted Storz Garage, which seems to be all over Rennlist, and they quoted $275ish for the oil change.

Not too concerned over $100, but more concerned over the difference if I needed more extensive work down the road.

Also, holy poo poo, thanks for the heads up about 285. An M3 and I drove back to Denver along 285 at a pretty decent clip for stretches early in the morning. I'll be a lot more careful next time.

Get yourself a 4 post Bend Pak lift by justifying it as "car storage".

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Residency Evil posted:

Speaking of ceramic coatings, I'm thinking of getting a Fister (lol) exhaust for my 993.

https://fdmotorsports.net/shop/ols/products/fister-993-stage-ii-sport-exhaust-modification

Worth getting a ceramic coating on the muffler?

I put a ceramic coating on my dansk 2-in-2-out for my 911SC and it lasted a few years before rust on weld spots underneath started to come through. The problem is you're only coating the outside.

Looked really pretty for a while though, but I think next time I'll just do a muffler in stainless like my headers.

brae
Feb 2, 2006
I feel like we got a little Colorado Porsche club going on here. I wonder if we've run into each other in person at a PCA event or track day. Maybe I should start asking people at events if they have stairs in their house?

I live right off the peak to peak and it's a great drive but the ever increasing traffic has been a real bummer lately. Getting up early seems to be the way to go.

Anyway I also heartily recommend squaw pass and off the peak to peak is coal creek canyon south of Nederland and if you go further south past Gilpin is Golden Gate Canyon road which is also real nice.

Oh, and state patrol is out all the time these days on the peak to peak by golden gate, on the stretch between it and the gas station in gilpin where there are a few long sweeping curves but that's the only standing speed trap I know of on P2P. But they're there almost every day now so watch out.

brae fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 30, 2021

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
So I have owned a 2014 Cayman S for about a year, love it, but have some things I'd like to change if possible.

1.) Can you adjust the pedal positions at all? I tried to just get used to it, but the brake pedal forever feels too high (even at the track, it still feels awkward to heel-toe under hard braking), and I would really like the clutch to be further left instead of evenly spaced with the gas/brake

2.) Can you mess with the Sport/Sport+ behavior? It's actually funny, I would rather have the auto rev-match in "normal/sport" mode because I use those in traffic, and then have it off in "sport+" mode, because then I'm on the track and at that point I'd rather be doing the rev-matching myself.

3.) Is there an aftermarket cup-holder solution because the default ones are hilariously bad and your drinks drip down onto the media controls :argh:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Look up "ultimate cupholder" I've got them in my 987 and they work well. The factory ones are ok but seem to struggle with anything larger than a small.

In related news, had a photo session with a local photographer and he's feeding me teaser pics. I'm just here :neckbeard:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I LOVE the digi martini.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

:perfect:

This is loving amazing!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm very happy I took the plunge on the Martini graphics.

Now excuse me while I clogg up this thread with some photos.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Not normally into Martini, but the digi take is amazing. Love it. And great photos.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bajaha posted:

I'm very happy I took the plunge on the Martini graphics.

Now excuse me while I clogg up this thread with some photos.

:perfect: That looks great, really nice photos too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I've been out doing things for the last few days.

Waiting on better shots/video from people who aren't me since I was kinda busy (New England Forest Rally, I'm course closing sweep). We had a couple of stage where we didn't have to drag anyone off where I got to really throw it through some good turns in VIP/press areas so I'm hoping somebody posts some footage.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Scionix posted:

So I have owned a 2014 Cayman S for about a year, love it, but have some things I'd like to change if possible.

1.) Can you adjust the pedal positions at all? I tried to just get used to it, but the brake pedal forever feels too high (even at the track, it still feels awkward to heel-toe under hard braking), and I would really like the clutch to be further left instead of evenly spaced with the gas/brake

2.) Can you mess with the Sport/Sport+ behavior? It's actually funny, I would rather have the auto rev-match in "normal/sport" mode because I use those in traffic, and then have it off in "sport+" mode, because then I'm on the track and at that point I'd rather be doing the rev-matching myself.

What needs to change is to stop thinking you rev-match better than the blipper and heel-toeing a car that has synchros on every gear and not enough flywheel and input shaft mass for double clutching to work anyway. Also just loving drive in Sport+ on the street.

The cup holders are brilliant. That is a hill I will die on. Stop putting big gulps in them.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 6, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Scionix posted:

3.) Is there an aftermarket cup-holder solution because the default ones are hilariously bad and your drinks drip down onto the media controls :argh:

Missed this but:

1. Not sure, but I know they do make aftermarket pedals.
2. Have you seen this: http://t-design9.com/memory_module_porsche.html
3. You're not dropping down the cup holder compartment and letting it sit down, right? You're putting it back up after you pop the cupholder out? That gives it much more stability.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
2002 Boxster S, i've had the car about 4-5 years now and the original rear window was finally way too discolored and eventually developed cracks and needed to be replaced by a new one and I of course opted for a glass rear window option.

Thanks to a bunch of Youtube videos the removal and installation went pretty smoothly, not a super difficult job but not exactly a cakewalk either. Just one of those jobs where you take it one step at a time, don't rush anything, and if you get flustered, take a break for as long as you need.

I went with a red top from Autoberry, pretty much every hole needed was predrilled and cut as needed and I didn't really encounter any fitment issues, very well made and nice cloth material. Required a tiny bit of extra pull on the handles to close the top and i'm going to leave it for at least a week as suggested so the material can break in.

Nearby upholsterer wanted a bout 2500$ for the job, the top cost me just over 600$ after tax so I saved quite a bit of money.

Pardon dirty camera lens

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hell yes that's awesome. Great job.

This is my take on Porsche ownership......the maintenance costs are just way too high so if I wasn't willing to and also enjoy doing that maintenance.......nope, wouldn't own multiples.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

That looks great, nice work.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That red works. Yeah, good job and totally echo Motronic on the maintenance side... although enjoy might not be quite the word I'd use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Red top was a good choice, doesn't look like it was too bad of a job.

Wrenching on a modern-ish Porsche (2006) isn't bad even with the engine in the middle of the car but I imagine the newer you go the more of a pain it is. It certainly isn't as easy as 70s and 80s cars I'm usually fighting with. Then for anything you don't feel like doing or are uncomfortable doing find a good local independent shop. I have a friend that worked at a Porsche race prep shop out of trade school and does mechanic work on the side. Sure I won't have "certified Porsche shop" receipts but it's a 15 year old car with 94k miles.