Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
State of emergency has nothing to do with international travel or immigration. Many countries got increased restrictions during the non-SOE period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
At this point I think the dream of going to see the next Wrestlekingdom is dead for me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Every time I get depressed thinking there's still a (probably good) chance I might need to push back my May 22 trip I just sit back and try to remember

there's a loving global pandemic happening

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
At least Japan should still be there next year, regardless of how annoying travel restrictions are.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rick posted:

At this point I think the dream of going to see the next Wrestlekingdom is dead for me.

Much better odds of pinning hopes on 2023 than 2022 at this point. I have seen international sports events scheduled to come to Japan this fall being canceled, likely because of travel restrictions or quarantine restrictions. Still haven’t heard a timetable for allowing regular tourists back in.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Every time I get depressed thinking there's still a (probably good) chance I might need to push back my May 22 trip I just sit back and try to remember

there's a loving global pandemic happening

I hate to hear this, I had to cancel my trip in March of 2020, and was hoping to go in March of next year, figuring there's no way Japan wouldn't have their poo poo together by then. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic. :(

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Right now they're so strict for the Olympics. Each country has a fixed number of visas so some team members have to leave before new people can arrive. Regular tourism is ???!?!? for the next 6 months.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

poo poo's hosed, stay out of this plagued country. 50% increase in cases even with a "state of emergency" in effect

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
lol, here we fuckin go

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I’m ready for worst case. This time around I didn’t even book any accommodation. Japan will be there when it’s safe to travel (there) again.

It will still be there? Right? :ohdear:

We’re still a looong way off, a LOT can change for the better in the next ten months but a lot can also change for the WORSE in the next ten months :(

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
so for all you tourists bitching about how awful japan has handled covid, if you want to see the biggest fuckup they've made so far turn your tv on to the olympics

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

poo poo's hosed, stay out of this plagued country. 50% increase in cases even with a "state of emergency" in effect

Trailing effect, don’t forget, this is still from what was going on 1-2 weeks back. So it’ll probably get slightly better before getting worse from the holiday weekend.

The only good news is the vaccination rates meaning hospitalization rates are getting better.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i'm just glad they got a lot of the olds and all(?) of the health care workers before they opened the floodgates on this bullshit

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Martytoof posted:

Yeah I’m ready for worst case. This time around I didn’t even book any accommodation. Japan will be there when it’s safe to travel (there) again.

It will still be there? Right? :ohdear:

We’re still a looong way off, a LOT can change for the better in the next ten months but a lot can also change for the WORSE in the next ten months :(

Japan should reach herd immunity within 4 months and it will go up from there. IIRC, you said May next year. I'm pretty sure you will be fine.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Japan sinks, this time for real, due to all the covid pushing it down in to the mantle

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i gave up on going there this year too. instead we're going to lisbon which apparently has a branch of afuri ramen

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
why on god's green earth would you eat ramen in lisbon

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
that'd be like me visiting china to go to five guys

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Stringent posted:

why on god's green earth would you eat ramen in lisbon

because it's still better than eating ramen in amsterdam

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

(we have 2 weeks so other things will be eaten as well)

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Stringent posted:

that'd be like me visiting china to go to five guys

the five guys in shanghai is pretty good.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ailumao posted:

the five guys in shanghai is pretty good.

i would totally go if there was one in tokyo

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

does tokyo got shake shack? they're popping up all over here. they are more expensive and not as good yet somehow more popular than five guys.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
yeah there's at least one near tokyo station

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Ailumao posted:

does tokyo got shake shack? they're popping up all over here. they are more expensive and not as good yet somehow more popular than five guys.

There’s a number. I’m kinda lucky in that I left my office to move to singapore just before they made one riiiight next to work, because I would have gone there a lot.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ailumao posted:

I've heard the Shake Shack in Osaka is really good.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Waltzing Along posted:

I've heard the Shake Shack in Osaka is really good.

i've had shake shack in tokyo and nyc and if you put a gun to my head i couldn't tell the difference.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
they're both inferior to other burgers you can get in japan although why tourists would eat hamburgers in japan kind of baffles me unless they're from elsewhere in asia

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

they're both inferior to other burgers you can get in japan although why tourists would eat hamburgers in japan kind of baffles me unless they're from elsewhere in asia

If you're somewhere foreign for a long time it's fun to see what their interpretation of what you have at home is though going to a global chain kind of defeats the purpose a lot of times.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Midjack posted:

If you're somewhere foreign for a long time it's fun to see what their interpretation of what you have at home is though going to a global chain kind of defeats the purpose a lot of times.

if you're there for a long time yeah i agree.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Plus if you’re not really that fussed on fancy foods, a burger is usually a pretty safe bet that’s hard to get wrong.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shake Shack is good, but I need to try Five Guys again next time I'm back in the States (there's one not far from home). I'm a fan of the crinkle fries and shakes. I also need to go to Carl's Jr. once it's safer and I have an excuse to find one, it's almost identical to how it is in the U.S. and I appreciate that honesty and commitment to the greasiness.

There are other very good burger spots in Tokyo if you want to find them. that doesn't make those chains a bad choice, especially if the others are out of delivery range.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
iunno, if you're a tourist from the us or aus and eating burgers in japan you wasted airfare imo

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I went to a burger place in Kobe earlier today that makes me strongly disagree with that statement

Finally leaving this god forsaken place on Wednesday. I'll miss it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Stringent posted:

iunno, if you're a tourist from the us or aus and eating burgers in japan you wasted airfare imo

Some of the burgers in Japan are pretty unique and probably worth a try, at least, but really just for their own sake and not because they're "burgers."

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I had the Yoshiki burger at McDonalds 2 years ago and it was really underwhelming. It was advertised as being absurdly spicy but I only found that out afterwards lol But it was a decent teriyaki burger I guess.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's multiple situations all being conflated.

A) You live abroad and generally eat local food but want a burger today. No problems here.
B) You're a tourist and want to see what weird poo poo McDonald's has in this country. Sure, I've done this too.
C) You're a tourist and just eat burgers instead of local food. I am judging you harshly.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I went to McDonalds just to try the shrimp burger patty or whatever it was and when I was done I was like — it was good but it was very McDonalds and I didn’t bother trying anything else “exotic” there or any other chain I had at home. I guess I still kind of want to try KFC to see if its any different but I’ll feel very stupid if it’s not.

As someone who ate a lot of konbini food over his last two trips I am also not really sure I’m in a position to judge anyone’s travel eating habits.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I went to Japan with a friend once. All he ate was mcdonalds. It was terribly sad. He wouldn't even try a 7/11 onigiri. What a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Waltzing Along posted:

I went to Japan with a friend once. All he ate was mcdonalds. It was terribly sad. He wouldn't even try a 7/11 onigiri. What a waste.

This is probably the only situation where it's a waste, otherwise if you wanna grab a burger on your trip go for it people who cares. Especially Tokyo hipster burger joints.
I live in the inaka so if I travel to a big city grabbing a real burger is one of the first things I think about tbh.