Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Supradog posted:

Those are Mitas e07 right? I got a set waiting for my Honda nx250, just to try something else than my staple heidenau k60.

Good eye, yup that's the Mitas e07 - managed to actually find the right size in stock locally. IDK about the rest of NA but motorcycle parts/gear have been incredibly hard to find around here (Canada/Ontario) even with the online retailers. I still do not have a proper skidplate...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

SocksAndSandals posted:

I've put a new rear tire on. Feels incredibly better/more stable taking corners on the road vs. the knobbies I had on before

noice. I’ve wanted to try the dakars for awhile but idk if I want to put myself or my mechanic through mounting them lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I took my CL350 wheels apart and took the rims down to the powder coaters. Back when I first rebuilt the bike I was in college and had no money so I just painted them, and that worked for several years, but now it's started to crack off and clearcoating the spokes didn't last either so they're rusty. Now I do have money so I'm gonna have nice gloss black rims with high quality stainless steel spokes. :stoked:

Building wheels is kind of a zen thing too. I like it much more than, say, tuning carburetors. Looking forward to that

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Changed the oil on my Nighthawk 750 and thought to clean and re-oil the air filter.

Here's 12,000 miles of the western US :v:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I just realized the crush washer on that bike has been re-used for 30,000 miles. It's past time I got a pack of those.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

sounds like you don't need new ones actually

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Yeah; I’ve saved probably $2 over the years, I should keep letting it ride.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Whoops

poo poo

gently caress

Pulled the exhaust with the intention of derusting it and painting it to get a bit more life out of it, only to find it's significantly more hosed up than I thought. Still going to give it a go, because what other choice do I have lol

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Nothing on your local branch of eBay from wreckers? Ive bought a good bit of stuff from that way. Like mid 80s xl250 rear wheels to get 17" instead on stock 16" on my nx250 from some place in Texas.

What model /year is that bike?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
They do exist but I'm going to shell out for stainless instead; if I get another set of mild stock pipes they'll just rot again, since I don't intend to stop all-weather riding and the stock ones are impossible to keep clean.

There's an 8 week lead time on the ones I want though, so I've still got to patch these up if I want to keep riding in the meantime.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Dropped off the Duke 390 rear wheel at the local powersports dealer to get a new tire. I’m waiting on the MSO paper for our new King Quad 400 so I figured I’ll just pick the quad and wheel up at the same time.

The rest of the center still had SOME tread left…

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Renaissance Robot posted:

There's an 8 week lead time on the ones I want though, so I've still got to patch these up if I want to keep riding in the meantime.

Sounds like a problem that could be solved with "riding one of my other available bikes while I wait for parts" rather than trying to weld up a totally rotten exhaust. But I got 3 bikes, my brother has 3 + a sidecar, and my dad got 2 he hardly uses so I'm kinda lucky in the "just wait for the part, you can still ride" department.

Buy more bikes, buy all the bikes.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've got my girlfriend's ybr, so that's something. I'd feel bad about stealing it every day for the next 2 months though.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Washed the Magna today and did a few quality of life things. Dripped some oil into the throttle cables and rerouted my misaligned throttle cable. No clue how it got placed OVER the fork tube.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

These GL1100 carbs work but were leaking fuel from between the carb and plenum on #2 so I had to split the plenum and split the carbs from the plenum halves to replace the o rings between them. This required removing the throttle linkage and if these things weren't synced before they're even less synced now. Pictured are the 8(!) o rings some cowboy put in place of the two that should be there. One of them is ripped, causing the leak. Reassembled, bench tested for leaks, back on the bike and running.

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

I believe I need an updated anti-PO-fuckup-shot or something.

Old theorem: Never trust your PO
New theorem: Never trust your PO and yourself within the (at least) three first services you do on a bike.
Proposal: You are the new PO.
Lemma: Something yourself did within the the first couple of services you did on the bike, cannot be trusted, as overlooking what bolts there are used.
Lemma: Overlooking that the recirculated aluminium bolts from the air box was re-used as fork oil bolts. Bolt head became sheared off, you needed to drill into it and cannot be bothered to do the entire fork seal-runaround, and now aluminium shearings are sloshing around in the bottom of the right fork.
Proof: My 1991 Honda NX250, with 1 previous owner. The guy that broke 3 out of 5 fasteners on the air box, and had forgotten to fasten the stearing head bolts, etc etc etc.
Peer review needed: Are aluminium shearings ok to be sploshing around in the bottom of the right fork, or should I do something about it before the next planned fork rebuild at the next 10KKm?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's got simple damping rod units right? I wouldn't worry too much.

That's an incredible thing to do btw, don't even know how you get the two mixed up or why there would even be alloy bolts anywhere on the bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The only place I've ever even seen aluminum fasteners is on radio-controlled models where they needed something just as light but slightly stronger than plastic. I also am baffled at using aluminum bolts on the airbox, of all places.

Are you sure they just weren't cheap lovely cheese-grade steel? That is definitely something I've seen on bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Alloy bolts are common in those fuckwit fairing fastener packs you can get on ebay, that would be my bet cause I've never seen anything like that on a Honda.

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

Yep, simple damping rod units. I think the alu bolts are from the PO, I haven't seen any on the other 3 NXs. Fool on me on not catching that the bolt was alu when I flushed the fork oil the first time.

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Are you sure they just weren't cheap lovely cheese-grade steel? That is definitely something I've seen on bikes.

Definitively alu. Light, non-magnetic, and the cheapo drillbit from the bolt extraction kit went through it like butter.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Installed a set of new wheel bearings and with that the 74 CT90 is ready for the road.

Still need to straighten the footpeg so that the kickstand works correctly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Assembled and trued up my new wheels with the powder-coated rims and stainless steel spokes.

Got both down to about 0.010-0.015" true both radially and laterally, which I think is pretty dang good for a fifty year old set of rims, and better than the 0.020" the manual specifies from the factory. Apparently up to 0.080" is within the service limit but pfffffffff what is this, a Harley?

Now just waiting for one new tire, since they shipped separately for some dumb reason.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I've seen a truing stand before, and I've wondered, is that gauge probe spring-loaded? How does it actuate the gauge?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slide Hammer posted:

I've seen a truing stand before, and I've wondered, is that gauge probe spring-loaded? How does it actuate the gauge?

Eventually it leads back to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Prototype_of_the_Kilogram

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah the gauge is always trying to spring to full extension

E: that’s a better explanation vvvv

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 9, 2021

40oz of fury
Sep 24, 2007

Slide Hammer posted:

Yep, that's just a normal dial indicator. You pre-load it a little bit against the rim surface and as you rotate the wheel the spring-loaded plunger moves as the rim gets closer or further from its starting point.

More than you'd ever want to know about dial indicators: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5i0r0-dd7I

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Uh I'm pretty sure a dial indicator eventually leads back to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre#Speed_of_light_definition

But yeah, that is just your regular 0-1" .001 dial indicator. The plunger is spring-loaded so it follows the rim as you spin the wheel. It is on a magnetic base which in turn is on an old vise jaw as a baseplate. The ~truing stand~ is three pieces of scrap plywood with V notches cut into to the top of the support pieces to drop the axle into. This non-precision stand works perfectly fine because the wheel only needs to be true relative to itself.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 9, 2021

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

OP said it’s an imperial gauge. It’s not going to lead back to the IPK or C.

It’s going to be something like https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's a US Customary :911: gauge, not "Imperial," and the inch is defined by NIST as exactly 25.4 millimeters. So

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Filthy colonials besmirching her majesty's finest whitworth, a system that cares not for your vulgar so-called standards and instead operates on the only true standard: good breeding. If you're of the correct bloodline, you merely need to look down at your feet to establish the standard foot, from which all other measurements are derived.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Filthy colonials besmirching her majesty's finest whitworth, a system that cares not for your vulgar so-called standards and instead operates on the only true standard: good breeding. If you're of the correct bloodline, you merely need to look down at your feet to establish the standard foot, from which all other measurements are derived.

:perfect:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Friend of mine had an interesting failure on his C70. Bolt backed out on the drag link to the rear drum brake. It promptly started shredding the spokes while the brake engaged hard.
Tore the spokes right out of the rim. Luckily it is a C70 so a new rear wheel is cheap.

Not sure if he had forgotten to install the cotter pin when the tires were changed or if it rotted away. We found the bolt near the intersection where it happened. Two grown men on a Trail 90 slowly riding down the road looking for a bolt must have been a bit funny to the locals.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Finally got a proper exhaust for my 1290.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm such a fan of underslung exhausts, and that single sided swingarm look completes it -- so good :swoon:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Fanelien posted:

Finally got a proper exhaust for my 1290.

:hellyeah:

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Baby’s first oil change

e: I’m surprised at how much smoother the bike feels, and how much more eager it is to pull! It’s like I’ve inputted some manner of cheat code.

Nofeed fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 13, 2021

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I think my Angel GT is done on my 99 VFR

Last set I got over 10k miles this one lasted barely 9k, trying a set of Contimotions next because they're inexpensive.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jesus, that is so done.

My 2 cents, try and not let it get down that low next time before you replace em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it still holds air don't it

clean your wheels while you're at it